OT: - JT III Out at Gtown | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: JT III Out at Gtown

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino? I suspect that he will be available in the very near future.

Reaction Score
I think aac takes a hit and tubby goes to fill the void. I don't think gtown can beat Texas for Shaka. Mark Jackson. Makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
If they hire Iverson at least he could push the no need for practice angle to recruits?

Reaction Score
Allen Iverson. "Coach Iverson, we have a big game against Providence on Saturday. Are we going to practice today?" Iverson: "Practice?? Practice? You talkin' about practice?"
Cant believe it took that long for someone to pull this out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I said he can recruit. He brought in the #2 class in the country at Seton Hall and a top 10 preseason ranking before they totally crashed and burned and Michigan inexplicably hired him. There is a reason he ended up in the Ivy League.

He completely lost control of the Seton Hall team at the end. Fights in the locker room kind of out of control. He was a young coach at the time, and has grown up.

I think Danny Hurley would be a great coach for Georgetown. I am not sure what I think about Ewing.

I wonder what happened to JTIII. His early teams were fantastic, and I thought he ran one of the best offenses in college basketball. Then he started choking in the tournament and his recruiting collapsed.

Reaction Score
During the Dream Team Olympic year Larry Bird and Patrick Ewing became very close friends. When asked about it, Ewing said it was great to be able to talk basketball with Larry and pick his mind. Larry responded he enjoyed his time with Ewing and also picked his mind, but it only took two minutes. True story.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would hope for Amaker as Hurley would hurt UConn's recruiting in the Northeast.

It would be nice if Ewing got the job though as he has done his time and hope he gets his break to be a head coach

Reaction Score
Come on Pitt should be Sean Miller
You are right and so is FriarJ about Billy Donovan, but the tongue in cheek point obviously is that Mullin and the suggested Ewing (if not certainly Iverson) are as much ghosts of programs past as they are coaches. We've certainly got that problem if not with Ollie than with his assistants. Ironically with guys like Sean Miller, Alford and to a lesser extent Danny Manning, the former superstar model has only worked when the guy is not coaching his alma mater.

Is there one example of a college superstar (so Ollie wouldn't count but Mullin would) becoming a great coach at his alma mater?

Reaction Score
You are right and so is FriarJ about Billy Donovan, but the tongue in cheek point obviously is that Mullin and the suggested Ewing (if not certainly Iverson) are as much ghosts of programs past as they are coaches. We've certainly got that problem if not with Ollie than with his assistants. Ironically with guys like Sean Miller, Alford and to a lesser extent Danny Manning, the former superstar model has only worked when the guy is not coaching his alma mater.

Is there one example of a college superstar (so Ollie wouldn't count but Mullin would) becoming a great coach at his alma mater?
We will see how Alfrod does at IU but I cannot think of one

Reaction Score
Amaker would be an awful hire. He can recruit but did a bad job at Seton Hall and Michigan before crawling to the Ivy League. He's also pulled a lot of shady s#-t, not a good guy.

Can you elaborate on the Amaker shady sh_t? Im curious.

Reaction Score
We will see how Alfrod does at IU but I cannot think of one
Unless they pay him enough to bring the ocean with him, why would you move from California to Indiana - especially when next 5 years recruiting pipeline is practically in the bank with the Ball family?

Reaction Score
Hearing from ND types that GU is interested in making an offer to Brey. I assume ND would match GU's offer. Not sure how much better of a job GU is today, anyway. (ND is finally building an actual BB practice facility after many of years of not bothering about it.)

Reaction Score
Speaking of Sean Miller has any coach done less with the bushel loads of All Americans then he has? He was set up this year for as easy ride as you'll ever get to a Championship game.

Reaction Score
Unless they pay him enough to bring the ocean with him, why would you move from California to Indiana - especially when next 5 years recruiting pipeline is practically in the bank with the Ball family?
Because its home, and IU is a better job than UCLA. IU has much better facilities and pays more.

IU has no issues recruiting and its academically easier to recruit to IU as well.

And you do not have to deal with Lavar Ball, lets be honest none of the brothers are Lamar. LiAngelo is a 3 star recruit who will expect to be treated like a 5 star and while LeMelo may be a stud but hes 3 years away.

If IU comes calling and they will Alfrod will take the job.

Reaction Score
I think you are right. But just for fun what if all the former BE schools hired alumni, we aren't far off..
St. John's - Mullin
Georgetown - Ewing
UConn - Ollie, but need to add Ray Allen to staff
Villanova - Jay Wright leaves for NBA, hire Kerry Kittles
Providence - Assuming Marvin Barnes is still dead, Eric Murdock will do
Syracuse - Hiring Carmelo Anthony puts Knicks fans out of their misery
Pittsburgh - I'm torn between Jerome Lane, Demetrious Gore and Brian Shorter
Seton Hall - Andrew Gaze, if Australia is too far Anthony Avent
Ha ha Marvin Barnes- If any kid got out of line he would have a tire iron by his side.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hearing from ND types that GU is interested in making an offer to Brey. I assume ND would match GU's offer. Not sure how much better of a job GU is today, anyway. (ND is finally building an actual BB practice facility after many of years of not bothering about it.)
He seems to have a ceiling at ND, although I don't know if it's the school's admissions policy, or his own recruiting. Otherwise ND looks like a better job to me.

Reaction Score
If I'm Billy Donovan a take the IU job as soon as it's offered.
I think BD is a pro coach now, realize OkC may be done for immediate future with gutted Harden/Ibaka/Durant/Westbrook core. But Donovan made chicken salad out of chicken poop this season. They are surging towards 6th maybe even 5th in West. They've over-achieved in comparison to Portland, TWolves & Grizz this year largely because Donovan successfully re-calibrated around Westbrook. He can probably pick and choose his next NBA job based on someone with an attractive roster (aforementioned TWolves) and ownership/GM competence (not Philly ;).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He seems to have a ceiling at ND, although I don't know if it's the school's admissions policy, or his own recruiting. Otherwise ND looks like a better job to me.

Brey to Georgetown would be interesting.

Brey grew up about five minutes from Georgetown and went to DeMatha.

That was a long time ago, but home is home.

Reaction Score

There is definitely a ceiling in terms of talent. I think it is more to do with the fact that it is not a destination school for BB and does not generally want to take one-and-done players. Also, the facilities suck (but that is changing soon).

There is also the fact that within 4 hours of ND you find Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Xavier, Dayton, and Louisville. It isn't really comparable to many of those programs.

Reaction Score
If I'm Billy Donovan a take the IU job as soon as it's offered.

Didn't he turn down Kentucky while he was at Florida? The Big 10 is a much tougher conference than the SEC was then, or now, imo. But I guess Saban "returned" to college and it obviously worked out.

It is harder to succeed immediately in the pros, I guess. I could see him winning right away at IU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom