John A. with an update on Caroline's summer.... | The Boneyard

John A. with an update on Caroline's summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Another UConn kid I expect to be very successful in life.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Honey Badger will go far in her chosen field of endeavor, whatever it may be. Even if it means fighting cobras.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hmmm interesting. Not in Storrs playing all summer. I can understand getting ready for real life after hoops, but a little odd one of the captains not in Storrs or working on her game much over the summer. ??????

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
hmmm interesting. Not in Storrs playing all summer. I can understand getting ready for real life after hoops, but a little odd one of the captains not in Storrs or working on her game much over the summer. ??????
It was part of her course work.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doesn't make it any less odd.
Not really, she can hardly do internship away from campus during the school year. Internships are required course work in many majors most all can be a some distance from the campus. My niece's program at Northeastern had three internships as a requirement for her major in charitable entrepreneurship. She graduated in May and has just left for her last internship in South Africa.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the three freshmen are rooming together and practicing on the regular. Can't wait for next season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Caroline recognized, and perhaps the coaching staff even confirmed, that she is probably not going to have major minutes or a central role on this year's team, barring injury to another guard. And therefore she is not likely to be a contender for a WNBA roster spot. The new strength in the front court this year will push several players into the back court -- certainly Kelly and possibly even KML. That means that they, along with Bria and Moriah, will get the majority of backcourt minutes.

Caroline, barring the unexpected, will probably average about 15 minutes against serious competition -- not enough to make a WNBA career plausible. So it's in her best interest to focus this summer on the real world.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Caroline recognized, and perhaps the coaching staff even confirmed, that she is probably not going to have major minutes or a central role on this year's team, barring injury to another guard. And therefore she is not likely to be a contender for a WNBA roster spot. The new strength in the front court this year will push several players into the back court -- certainly Kelly and possibly even KML. That means that they, along with Bria and Moriah, will get the majority of backcourt minutes.

Caroline, barring the unexpected, will probably average about 15 minutes against serious competition -- not enough to make a WNBA career plausible. So it's in her best interest to focus this summer on the real world.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really, she can hardly do internship away from campus during the school year. Internships are required course work in many majors most all can be a some distance from the campus. My niece's program at Northeastern had three internships as a requirement for her major in charitable entrepreneurship. She graduated in May and has just left for her last internship in South Africa.
Still doesn't make it any less odd.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have a funny feeling Ms Caroline is going to have a stupendous year.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Caroline is far less resigned to the end of her basketball playing days than some of you guys are making it out to be. She's missing some pickup and conditioning. The coaches are banned from even watching them play pickup let alone coach them. The primary reason UConn players are at UConn during the summer actually has to do with school, not basketball. It's far more about staying on track so that they can take a lighter course load during the school year, especially with basketball spanning both semesters., than anything basketball related. After she's spent pretty much every summer of college rehabbing it's about time she did something off campus.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have a feeling Caroline is far less resigned to the end of her basketball playing days than some of you guys are making it out to be. She's missing some pickup and conditioning. The coaches are banned from even watching them play pickup let alone coach them. The primary reason UConn players are at UConn during the summer actually has to do with school, not basketball. It's far more about staying on track so that they can take a lighter course load during the school year, especially with basketball spanning both semesters., than anything basketball related. After she's spent pretty much every summer of college rehabbing it's about time she did something off campus.
She is, also, in a place where she can probably maintain her conditioning quite readily. As to Caroline's resignation to any reduction in her role. That comment made me laugh. Anyone expecting to take time from her will have to crawl over her cold dead body to do so. Just like every lead dog in the Iditerod there is no yield in that Husky.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
None of us knows the extent to which CD has been working out or playing hoops in her spare time nor do we know when the internship ends. She may be back on campus end-July/Aug. And as Scotter noted, there is no need for her to attend summer school. Bottom line is I wouldn't write-off Ms. Doty just yet.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
She is a student athlete. Nothing odd about the balance that entails.

Reaction Score

+

I totally disagree. I bet she is working her tail off and you know how Geno feels about her. There is no indication-implyed or stated by the coaching staff that CD will not be a major factor in the Huskies season.

IMO, this is another example of fans wanting the shinny new toy instead of their old one. We need to stop throwing CD and KF under the bus for the new kids on the block. Geno will figure it out.

Reaction Score
Write her off? Never have. Never will.

If her UConn career had ended this year I would forever remember Caroline as an invaluable member of our team - both on and off the court.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Frankly, it astounds me that anyone can imply negativity/disapproval in the way CD leads her life.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's not at all odd. She has graduated, her life has revolved around basketball for the past four years and she's only gotten to play in two of them, and she is working on something that will help her after she is finished with school. Most college kids get to come home during the summer and work, do an internship, etc. Or they get to do so during the school year. Or they get to study abroad. All that stuff isn't available to basketball players, so she is taking advantage while she can. Good for her.

Reaction Score
IMO, this is another example of fans wanting the shinny new toy instead of their old one. We need to stop throwing CD and KF under the bus for the new kids on the block.

I totally agree and to another extent I feel like Tiffany's graduation is very understated. She was a 4 year starter who knew the system and knew what the coaches want and expect. While I think the 3 freshman can make up for Tiffany statistically, her experience was invaluable.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I totally agree and to another extent I feel like Tiffany's graduation is very understated. She was a 4 year starter who knew the system and knew what the coaches want and expect. While I think the 3 freshman can make up for Tiffany statistically, her experience was invaluable.
I think the players that were on the team already can, and in fact must if UConn wants to beat Baylor, make up for Tiff statistically. The only way UConn beats Baylor is if UConn is significantly better than last year, as Baylor will be at least incrementally better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom