John A. with an update on Caroline's summer.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

John A. with an update on Caroline's summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyer(s)…some self reflection on my part…I must confess that I am defensive about student athletes, so perhaps I over reacted, even misinterpreted, the term “odd”. I do enjoy your posts, and remember fondly meeting you at a game.

Neal

Are you sure it was me you met then. ;)

Just some friendly banter. And being defensive about student athletes is a good thing. :)

All I meant by "odd" was an unusual situation. I don't ever recall any like this. Just wonder how it will / or won't affect the team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, I'll go middle ground on this. Under an ideal set of circumstances, and strictly from a basketball perspective, yes, it would be nice to have Caroline on campus gelling with the newbies and helping them understand some of what they're in for when the coaching staff does get their hands on them. However, in a really ideal set of circumstances, Caroline would have exhausted her eligibility and not even be available to play next year at all. Additionally, this particular crew of recruits has been around the program so much for so long that I'm sure they a) are more ready for what's ahead than most, and b) know Caroline quite well already.

The fact that the three frosh are fast friends and rooming together is really exciting to me. When you have kids that talented who can come together and learn to live and work together, that could be really, really special when all is said and done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
  • Look up the definition of "odd", it has much more of a negative connotation than I would expect a description of a student working as an intern for the summer would require. Odd can mean "curious" which it may be to you, but in using "odd" you also bring in the potential of meaning "bizzare, peculir, weird".
  • I find it neither curious, much less bizzare or peculiar.

• If you can't see how using the word "odd" hits some people "not as you would expect"; that is "odd". You can figure out for yourself whether I mean "curious" or "bizzare".

I don't find bizzare, or peculiar as particularly negative. They basically mean odd, unusual. Which is where I was going with odd. It gives one (or at least me) pause for thought. It seems to be all the other people reading negatively into it. They are the negative people, not me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She's missing pickup games.

Yes she is. I doubt she is getting the same level in Canada.

p.s. are you AI? (Allen Iverson)

The coaches aren't even there to supervise them.

True, I assume the captians run those......oh wait. (people will still miss this point)

We don't know how hard the players go during the summer in their practices.

Some people do, those who get to sneak in and watch. Haven't had many reports yet this summer.

The coaches want players on campus to take classes. Working out comes along with being on campus during the summer.

I believe they can (and do) work out with the strengh and conditioning coaches. Course they may have one for the Fury also??

I don't know how it will effect her game, but I can't see it having the worst effect.

I don't know how it will affect her game either. Maybe the time away will help??? Come back more rested?? Who knows. That's what I think will be interesting to see.

She's not a freshman who has a lot of new things to learn. She's an experienced player who will most likely be prepared when she returns.
True. Hey a novel idea. Maybe those experienced players could pass along their experience to newcomers. Yea, and maybe, just maybe that could be done during the summer, when they are playing together. hmmmm wonder if anyone ever thought of that??

For all we know she could be working out in Canada as we speak.
Maybe, I wonder with whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog