John A. with an update on Caroline's summer.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A. with an update on Caroline's summer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I find it odd that you find it so odd.
Why? You should also. I'm suprised you aren't comprehending this.

A 5th year senior, captain, leader of the team, gone all summer while the rest of the team is working on their game? That's odd. I understand the reason, but it's (the situation) odd.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why? You should also. I'm suprised you aren't comprehending this.

A 5th year senior, captain, leader of the team, gone all summer while the rest of the team is working on their game? That's odd. I understand the reason, but it's (the situation) odd.

All summer?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All summer?
Well let's see. May 15th through hmmmm article said she was working on Final Four stuff, which happens end of July. I suspect a week or two at home after that to see her family. So she may be back middle of August? Classes start Aug 27th. Yeah, that's pretty much all summer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She may come straight to campus on the first of August.
Others on the team will be away in July.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She may come straight to campus on the first of August.
She may, I doubt it though. She prolly needs a little time off (down time) before the fall classes start. And I'm sure she wants to see her family.

Others on the team will be away in July.

Point?

Reaction Score
I think it would be unfair if the coaching staff had denied Caroline of such an opportunity. Basketball isn't the only thing going on in these players' lives. In CD's case, basketball is unfortunately not in her future. UConn basketball is taking up 5 years of her life. When you put it in perspective that's not a lot of time. She has her whole life ahead of her after she leaves UConn. If this internship furthers her real world career opportunities, it's only a positive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think it would be unfair if the coaching staff had denied Caroline of such an opportunity. Basketball isn't the only thing going on in these players' lives. In CD's case, basketball is unfortunately not in her future. UConn basketball is taking up 5 years of her life. When you put it in perspective that's not a lot of time. She has her whole life ahead of her after she leaves UConn. If this internship furthers her real world career opportunities, it's only a positive.

Agreed. I don't think the staff ever would.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She may, I doubt it though. She prolly needs a little time off (down time) before the fall classes start. And I'm sure she wants to see her family.

Point?

If the others are away there is little to be gained by being on campus.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The Three Amigos will be away from August 4th to 18th (probably returning Aug 19th or 20th) for USA U-18. Is that a problem?

Heather is absent this summer as well.... probably also doing an internship. Is that a problem?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If the others are away there is little to be gained by being on campus.
This has obviously gone over some our your heads.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Three Amigos will be away from August 4th to 18th (probably returning Aug 19th or 20th) for USA U-18. Is that a problem?

Hmmm, are they gone all summer? What are they doing while gone? Playing high level basketball? Did I ever say it was a problem? Come on people this is not that difficult to understand.

Heather is absent this summer as well.... probably also doing an internship. Is that a problem?

No not at all. Is Heather considered a leader of the team? Even a starter? Again, did I ever say it was a problem?

Reaction Score
Like previously stated, this is an opportunity for Caroline's future. I don't think missing some pickup games will derail CD's preparation for this upcoming season.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
This has obviously gone over some our your heads.

Ok, Myers, I'll bite. It HAS obviously gone over some heads, at least mine. So help me out and and SAY EXACTLY what your point is...Thanks.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sorry for this rant, but not sorry enough to bite my keyboard…it’s no one’s business what CD does with her summers, other than herself, The Coaching Staff, and her Parents. Having said that, this “odd” stuff is beyond me… no BoneYarder knows the condition of her knees, the requirements of her University major, what she wants to do with her life etc. At best case, to comment on her summer activities is odd in light of the lack of info, as I see it. At worst case, it is just nasty.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Sorry for this rant, but not sorry enough to bite my keyboard…it’s no one’s business what CD does with her summers, other than herself, The Coaching Staff, and her Parents. Having said that, this “odd” stuff is beyond me… no BoneYarder knows the condition of her knees, the requirements of her University major, what she wants to do with her life etc. At best case, to comment on her summer activities is odd in light of the lack of info, as I see it. At worst case, it is just nasty.

Thanks, Ozzie!! Agree totally!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, Myers, I'll bite. It HAS obviously gone over some heads, at least mine. So help me out and and SAY EXACTLY what your point is...Thanks.
Simple, it's odd. That was all.

I've laid it out pretty clearly.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry for this rant, but not sorry enough to bite my keyboard…it’s no one’s business what CD does with her summers, other than herself, The Coaching Staff, and her Parents.

Agreed. I didn't bring it up. Just commented on it.

Having said that, this “odd” stuff is beyond me… .

Obviously it's beyond a lot of you. So don't feel bad, you have plenty of company.

no BoneYarder knows the condition of her knees, the requirements of her University major, what she wants to do with her life etc. At best case, to comment on her summer activities is odd in light of the lack of info, as I see it. At worst case, it is just nasty.

I never said anything was wrong with it. (What's a matter with you people, can't you read, GEEZ - you guys are starting to piss me off now. Is it that hard of a concept????) For whatever reason, good, bad, indifferent, none of our business, whatever, if you don't find it odd that the leader of the team, a captian, 5th year senior is not around campus with the team, working on her game, all summer, then you must be blind or something????? (living in Vol land???) (maybe it's the heat???)

Geez people, wth? I made a simple observation that should be blatantly obvious to anyone who half-heartedly follows the Huskies (knows they aren't the Lady Huskies). I didn't say whether I thought it was good or bad. (can't see how it will "help" the team, but doubt it will hurt the team either) Never said she shouldn't do it. Hell, I would have done it if I was her. I would have advised her to do it if she felt she needed to if I was her coach/parent/teacher.

It's still a freaking odd situation.

(Geez, yuse guys are making my heart rate/blood pressure go up. :eek: Good thing for the Lopressor ;) )

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like previously stated, this is an opportunity for Caroline's future. I don't think missing some pickup games will derail CD's preparation for this upcoming season.

Actually I think it will have some effect on her, on the team. Good, bad, IDK. Be interesting to see. If taking the summer off from the team, from the practice, etc. improves CD's game, helps the team, then maybe that is something UCONN can look at in the future with other players???? Something interesting to see this fall.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly, you are just about the only who thinks it odd, others simply don't. The situation itself hardly seems to have a content of oddness. Let's simply say it seems odd to you, not the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Actually I think it will have some effect on her, on the team. Good, bad, IDK. Be interesting to see. If taking the summer off from the team, from the practice, etc. improves CD's game, helps the team, then maybe that is something UCONN can look at in the future with other players???? Something interesting to see this fall.

She's missing pickup games. The coaches aren't even there to supervise them. We don't know how hard the players go during the summer in their practices. The coaches want players on campus to take classes. Working out comes along with being on campus during the summer. Obviously, this isn't going to be the norm for future players. I think the fact that CD is done with all her classes weighed heavily on the situation.

I don't know how it will effect her game, but I can't see it having the worst effect. She's not a freshman who has a lot of new things to learn. She's an experienced player who will most likely be prepared when she returns. For all we know she could be working out in Canada as we speak.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Meyer(s)…some self reflection on my part…I must confess that I am defensive about student athletes, so perhaps I over reacted, even misinterpreted, the term “odd”. I do enjoy your posts, and remember fondly meeting you at a game.

Neal

Reaction Score
  • Look up the definition of "odd", it has much more of a negative connotation than I would expect a description of a student working as an intern for the summer would require. Odd can mean "curious" which it may be to you, but in using "odd" you also bring in the potential of meaning "bizzare, peculir, weird".
  • I find it neither curious, much less bizzare or peculiar.

• If you can't see how using the word "odd" hits some people "not as you would expect"; that is "odd". You can figure out for yourself whether I mean "curious" or "bizzare".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I always find it disconcerting when individual posters go at it with each other. People obviously disagree. Is it necessary to constantly answer another poster's comments and go back and forth until either the mods shut the thread down, or one poster finally stops responding to the other? I get it. people disagree.

Honestly I'm thrilled Caroline is having a great time. She's going to be a terrific captain and leader this year, not matter how many (or few) minutes she gets. FWIW, no matter how sensational Moriah is, she will ultimately need to learn what it means to be a leader on the court and do things the way UCONN coaches want her to. I do think Caroline can play more than 10-15 minutes in big games, but I have no idea what her physical limitations will ultimately be this coming year, and as a few have pointed out, Geno has plenty of time to figure it out. It's possible her 3-time knee surgeries will prevent her from being productive against the best competition.

Hopefully she's learning a lot and still finding time to work out and get her body as strong as it can be. No matter what she contributes on the court, she will remain to many one of the all time favorites simply for her heart alone. Hope she has a great year by her standards, not ours...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Rather than speculate on what Caroline's going to do the rest of the summer (ah, that nasty word), I would rather comment on the posts suggesting that the three outstanding frosh's main requirement is "to make up for Tiff statistically."

That's All ???

You have three of the most outstanding athletes in recent memory and the bar is set that low?

C'mon... double Tiff's statistics is a much more realistic expectation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Clearly, you are just about the only who thinks it odd, others simply don't. The situation itself hardly seems to have a content of oddness. Let's simply say it seems odd to you, not the rest of us.

Obviously. I do tend to (or can) look at things through a very open, logical, quizzical, detached from emotion, viewpoint. There are a lot of things I can find very interesting/intriguing that most people don't even give a second thought. One of my burdens to bear. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom