Joe Moorhead rumors (and others) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead rumors (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand the skepticism over any coach denying he is interviewing or has interest in another job, but Moorhead will likely be next year's big name for a P5 job. Why would he take a non-P5 job, which many here think, even under the best of circumstances is a three-year rebuild?
He's one year away from the big P5 stage and big money. Even if UConn ponies up heavy cash as an inducement, it is only half of the equation for a guy like Moorhead who has his sight set on a P5 opportunity.
Western PA, don't you think it depends on the P5 opportunity.?
There are perhaps a dozen p5 jobs that are "best of the best-top 10" of which your team PSU is one of those jobs (Texas, USC, Alabama, Michigan Ohio State,) a second tier of schools and then... the rest fall into a mehhh - Wake Forest/Illinois/Indiana/Vanderbilt/.... so maybe you hang and rebuild UCONN, make $2mm plus a year and vault into a top 10 program similar to Herman at Texas, .Harbaugh at Michigan and your Franklin at PSU.....
He knows the problems at UCONN which given an insider knowledge track, brings the action and thought process to fruition AND he knows what to do to resolve this mess...........

Reaction Score
Key words, "right now". Season is not over yet. :D

Time shall tell.
I'm with you... clearly, Uconn and the next coach have taken efforts to keep this under wraps until at least 1/2.
If that is true why would anyone including the coach confirm anything.
Focus on the Rose Bowl, come home with the team, and then make an announcement.
Whoever the coach is, DB is confident he can overcome the late season hire.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Rule # 1. We are not getting the candidate most want.

You don't fire Diaco...pay 3.6 mill to him in order to hire Randy Edsall. I have a feeling it will be someone not named in this thread. It's usually how it ends up here.
I also think they already have a verbal in place.

Reaction Score
Anyone without HC experience I just don't see. I hope DB agrees.

Nobody has the appetite to see another Diaco come in and learn on the job.
As soon as the games started it was clear Diaco was in over his head. The 1st sign was the press conference before the BYU game. The second was how God awful he was at clock management in every phase.

My guess is an offensive coordinator would be better at this instinctively, but I don't know if that's true. What I do know is in 3 years Diaco showed zero signs of improving in that area.

Reaction Score

You don't fire Diaco...pay 3.6 mill to him in order to hire Randy Edsall. I have a feeling it will be someone not named in this thread. It's usually how it ends up here.
If you polled the board, I don't think he would be the guy most want. He'd basically be a retread who is getting long in the tooth at this point.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If you polled the board, I don't think he would be the guy most want. He'd basically be a retread who is getting long in the tooth at this point.
I didn't nec mean RE as the one. I used him as the second point. Sorry, I should have clarified.

Reaction Score
Joe Moorhead was not linked to Temple ever but he is being linked to our opening. Still. Not much denial going on. Very good signs so far. Gotta hope.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Sixth or seventh desperation choice.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

I doubt it's anyone not named in this thread. Clearly, the AD follows public opinion and hiring a little known commodity would be very risky with the fan base. Uncertainty, doesn't sell season tickets. I'm waiting to see who the coach will be before buying season tickets. Had Diaco stayed, I wasn't going to any games next season.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I doubt it's anyone not named in this thread. Clearly, the AD follows public opinion and hiring a little known commodity would be very risky with the fan base. Uncertainty, doesn't sell season tickets. I'm waiting to see who the coach will be before buying season tickets. Had Diaco stayed, I wasn't going to any games next season.
It doesn't mean it won't be a big/ good hire. It just means..someone we are not thinking of or saying.

Reaction Score
"Yeah, the minute the game's over, I'm headed for UConn. That oughta get them motivated before I exit..."

And maybe he could fly straight to Bradley and skip flying back with the team. That was always a classy move.

Reaction Score
Have faith UC.... the hire will be good and the product on the field will be better. Six tough years. but now is the chance to upgrade to better seats. I've had BAR bills bigger than the total cost of season tickets!!

Worse yet, if you were a player and, at recruitment, bought into HCBD to later experience and see the on field decisions made. Worse yet, you feel you aren't getting coached up... The players are not stupid. Most came from winning programs. Supporting the athletes who have had to endure the travesty is important at least to me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As was mentioned by someone way upthread, the one NE job that has been conjectured as a landing spot for Moorhead is BC. Addiazo makes $2.6 mill. An article on PennLive earlier this year suggested that the BC HC gig would be a tripling of Moorehead's salary, so he's up around $800-$900K/year if that's correct.

Moorhead apparently also received a two-year deal from PSU that was heavy on a signing bonus he'd have to pay back if he were to depart early.

If the above are true, hiring JM will likely take more than what FHCBD was making - and what does that leave for assistants?

Reaction Score
Penn State is clearly scared of the possibility he may leave after this season. This is all I can find from the last 12 hours saying he is not coming.

Moorhead not heading to UConn | News, Sports, Jobs - Altoona Mirror

"Penn State has almost everyone back on offense next season, and if Moorhead stays one more year and has further success, he could become a candidate for more lucrative head coaching jobs."

Reaction Score
As was mentioned by someone way upthread, the one NE job that has been conjectured as a landing spot for Moorhead is BC. Addiazo makes $2.6 mill. An article on PennLive earlier this year suggested that the BC HC gig would be a tripling of Moorehead's salary, so he's up around $800-$900K/year if that's correct.

Moorhead apparently also received a two-year deal from PSU that was heavy on a signing bonus he'd have to pay back if he were to depart early.

If the above are true, hiring JM will likely take more than what FHCBD was making - and what does that leave for assistants?

One thing I learned yesterday is that we have no clue what type of situation we are in w/ our boosters. The Fuller mention about alums yesterday was interesting as well. I have to hope if we miss on Moorhead, its because he wasn't interested, not that we couldn't afford him. This firing shows that the administration clearly understands how dire our situation is.

Reaction Score

After being at PSU I don't think Moorehead would touch BC with a 10' pole. They have ZERO facilities....guys that played there in the 90's had the same facilities they use today. I can see him at a job like NC State or the like.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree with this premise. Moorhead can get a better gig in 1-2 years staying @ PSU than a speculative rebuilding job @ UConn for 3-4 years.

The UConn is talent is so poor right now it will be hard to attract a hot coordinator, especially one with some HC experience and no baggage. Thye know it will take 2-3 years to get back to a competitive product to get to 7-5, 8-4, etc.

Maybe Schiano is a better candidate here since he knows, like Kiffin, he has to take a step back HC wise to be attractive for another big job.

Penn State is clearly scared of the possibility he may leave after this season. This is all I can find from the last 12 hours saying he is not coming.

Moorhead not heading to UConn | News, Sports, Jobs - Altoona Mirror

"Penn State has almost everyone back on offense next season, and if Moorhead stays one more year and has further success, he could become a candidate for more lucrative head coaching jobs."

Reaction Score
Not necessarily true Butch. There are others more mainstream but they were squashed just as quickly as the UConn "connection"... Report: Offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead will return to Penn State next season, not a candidate for Temple job
I heard of him being considered, but any consideration was squashed very quick. This was published one hour ago.

Nothing to see here (again) on Joe Moorhead, Penn State and USC both overcame sanctions to reach Rose Bowl and more

More open to the possibility of UConn being Moorhead's destination:

"That is a very smart take. Moorhead can do better, and at some point likely will."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom