Joe Moorhead rumors (and others) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead rumors (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Auburn was built around buying Cam Newton. We can't buy a Cam Newton.

Like I said in one of the other dozen threads, unless this OC is the true brains behind the Auburn program, no thanks. It would smell too much a matter of convenience. A very Jeff Hathaway move. I would like to think DB is better than that.

Now, if he wants to bring him up as OC without his mentor and potentially earn this HC should things pan out well, then that is a discussion, but the HC picks the coordinators.
THis article gives some perspective on Lashlee...

How Rhett Lashlee helped save Gus Malzahn's job at Auburn

Not saying he is the answer...but I can see how he fits what UConn is looking for.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If Fleck went 10-2 as opposed to 12-0, UConn's name brand and money might be enough to interest him...but as it stands, a high profile job is likely close by.

Reaction Score
Auburn was built around buying Cam Newton. We can't buy a Cam Newton.

Of course we could. As a matter of fact, that would be the only way we could. You think a high level qb would say no to UConn and 200k ?

Reaction Score
If Fleck went 10-2 as opposed to 12-0, UConn's name brand and money might be enough to interest him...but as it stands, a high profile job is likely close by.

The Minnesota guy is likely to get fired after their bowl game tonite. Fleck will likely get that job. Just when it looked like he was going to have to do another year at W Michigan he will likely luck into a good gig

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good points
The JMU guy is my #3. I just want to hear what his plan is to recruit in the northeast. We wont be able to suck all of NC and SC north to follow him. Plus, he seems exactly like the kind of guy who would want very much to take the next opportunity in the Carolinas at the P5 level should he have any success at UConn. I suppose that is a good problem to have type concern. All that said, I strongly prefer anyone that has HC experience at any level (Fordham) or James Madison included.

Reaction Score
One way to look at that is to think of how sad that is; what on earth are people thinking about if they want to re-hire the guy that walked out.

The other way to look at it is that our fan base is so afraid of a third failure in a row that they are willing to forgive "the ex girlfriend" so that we can get back to 7-5.

We need the next hire to at least be the "7-5" type, where we go to a bowl game every year and fans can expect a few more wins than losses when they buy their tickets...
Hey Dan, understand your viewpoint to getting back to respectable 7 & 5 type but would rather go 9 & 3. "7 & 5 is too close to "6&6", mediocre in the AAC.
After 6 years of futility, getting to 7&5 every year is just okay. Would rather BANG a nine getting to 9&3 or have a ten win season which would be like having a TEN on her knees, if possible..
NO EX GIRLFRIENDS wanted.
LIKE MEETING MY EX WIFE for a cup of coffee....OH GODDDD!
Want 9 & 3 or better in 3 years.... That is just 2 more wins, which is another level. Depends on recruiting to build depth, coaching up AND SCORING POINTS... want an offensive minded coach and a winner.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I never understood the idea that Randy had taken the program as far as it could go.

The year prior they finished 8-5 and the 5 losses were by a total of something like 20 points and the next season we went 8-5 and made the Fiesta Bowl with a worse team (IMO).

Randy only needed a QB (easier said than done) and we would have been flirting with 9 to 10 wins with everything else he did exceptionally.

I'm not exactly sure if he's the right hire but the fact that P inherited a team full of NFL guys and then P crapped the bed isn't a reflection on Randy maxing out here.

P.S. if playing in the Fiesta Bowl isn't something you view as being close to our height as a program you may need to recalibrate expectations.

Reaction Score
Hey Dan, understand your viewpoint to getting back to respectable 7 & 5 type but would rather go 9 & 3. "7 & 5 is too close to "6&6", mediocre in the AAC.
After 6 years of futility, getting to 7&5 every year is just okay. Would rather BANG a nine getting to 9&3 or have a ten win season which would be like having a TEN on her knees, if possible..
NO EX GIRLFRIENDS wanted.
LIKE MEETING MY EX WIFE for a cup of coffee....OH GODDDD!
Want 9 & 3 or better in 3 years.... That is just 2 more wins, which is another level. Depends on recruiting to build depth, coaching up AND SCORING POINTS... want an offensive minded coach and a winner.

You could hire Nick Saban and we are not going to be 9-3 in 3 years.

Good God people -- this is not video college football where you call yourself a school and you can build a program quickly. There are real issues with how successfully how quickly you can be here. You don't have a UConn football fan base with the program win or lose. You aren't in a recruiting area that produces tons of talent. We have changed coaching staffs like some change shirts, hindering relationship building with high schools. Our school is tighter on grades and bad behavior than many of our competitors. Our current roster is just not as good as the top half (at least) of our conference, and if Saban came in today you wouldn't get much help from his recruiting skills until at the earliest the 2019 season, and more likely after that (and while I don't doubt he could recruit better than anyone we've had here, if you think he's geting the kind of kids he gets at 'Bama, or even got at LSU, you need a brain transplant -- the coach matters but so does the program). And we're stuck in a conference no one in our region cares about.

I know you all want to think Edsall as mediocre and it won't be hard to duplicate that, but you're wrong. Coach P had a good career at Syracuse as a head coach, and can obviously coach football or he wouldn't keep landing on his feet. Diaco won the Broyles shortly before coming here. Other than their failure to succeed here, neither of them was viewed as a total loser. Think about that and what it means for a moment.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I never understood the idea that Randy had taken the program as far as it could go.

The year prior they finished 8-5 and the 5 losses were by a total of something like 20 points and the next season we went 8-5 and made the Fiesta Bowl with a worse team (IMO).

Randy only needed a QB (easier said than done) and we would have been flirting with 9 to 10 wins with everything else he did exceptionally.

I'm not exactly sure if he's the right hire but the fact that P inherited a team full of NFL guys and then P crapped the bed isn't a reflection on Randy maxing out here.

P.S. if playing in the Fiesta Bowl isn't something you view as being close to our height as a program you may need to recalibrate expectations.
Part of it was him running into academic qualifications issues with Hathaway. Which was also part of what led him to leave.

Reaction Score

Good God people -- this is not video college football where you call yourself a school and you can build a program quickly. There are real issues with how successfully how quickly you can be here. You don't have a UConn football fan base with the program win or lose. You aren't in a recruiting area that produces tons of talent. We have changed coaching staffs like some change shirts, hindering relationship building with high schools. Our school is tighter on grades and bad behavior than many of our competitors. Our current roster is just not as good as the top half (at least) of our conference, and if Saban came in today you wouldn't get much help from his recruiting skills until at the earliest the 2019 season, and more likely after that (and while I don't doubt he could recruit better than anyone we've had here, if you think he's geting the kind of kids he gets at 'Bama, or even got at LSU, you need a brain transplant -- the coach matters but so does the program). And we're stuck in a conference no one in our region cares about.

I know you all want to think Edsall as mediocre and it won't be hard to duplicate that, but you're wrong. Coach P had a good career at Syracuse as a head coach, and can obviously coach football or he wouldn't keep landing on his feet. Diaco won the Broyles shortly before coming here. Other than their failure to succeed here, neither of them was viewed as a total loser. Think about that and what it means for a moment.

You guys do know that Edsall blew the recruitment of Dan O...if it wasn't for Lyndon Johnson doubling back to the house he NEVER would have been a Husky. It's a true story...I heard it from the guy who doubled back to the house.

Reaction Score
How did he blow it? Curious. I'm on the fence regarding Edsall, I don't mind being swayed.

Reaction Score

Yea, but the close game thing works both ways, the Fiesta Bowl year we easily could have been 5-7 and not bowling. His style basically requires us to consistently win the turnover battle by a lot, and do all the little thngs right, and that's hard to do all season, year after year. Eventually to take the next step we need the talent in here that can overcome not playing a perfect game every week and still win.

Also as far as expecations, the fiesta bowl has to be taken out of the equation, the circumstances that got us there don't exist anymore.

Reaction Score

I agree on the QB issue. With Foley's offensive lines, just a decent QB would have raised the ceiling dramatically. Strange how, after Dan O he just couldn't get the next Dan O or even a close to Dan O type QB.

Reaction Score

Good post. There are no magic wands to wave in college football where suddenly you have success. There will always be programs that try to short cut the system like FAU with Kiffen, but ultimately any success they see is fleeting. Any program that has had success over a long period of time was built like Edsall was trying to build Uconn. The team was competitive in most games it played, winning at a solid clip. Quality players were being recruited and developed all the way to the next level. The fan base was engaged filling the stadium and making for a tough environment for opponents. Finally the program had an identity it could hang its hat on it. It was far from perfect, but you knew what you were getting with Uconn. A physical blue collar team that would fight to the whistle. I have absolutely no idea if Edsall could recapture what he had previously, but the blueprint when followed proved it could work. Coaching Staff he could bring would be key.

Reaction Score

Biz

RE also had more time than both coaches , less expectations upon them and less at stake.
RE also sucked at Maryland. I agree it's a crap shoot when hiring at our level particularly.
All we need to do is look back at the coaches that were in the running for the UConn job when PP was named. Did any of them pan out? I don't think they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom