Jeff Hathaway | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Hathaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reality is JH did nit make or approve the decision. The board did. Larry McHugh has ultimate power.

I'm not questioning this as it does make sense but wasn't McHugh the first to contact Burton to try to bring him back to the UConn family? That would have to have been one uncomfortable conversation if McHugh was the one who gave this hire his blessing.

C

Chief00

One of the best things Herbst's has done was to deep six Hathaway. One of the worse things she has done is to replace him with Warde. Let's hope the second statement is wrong - time will tell.

Reaction Score
One of the best things Herbst's has done was to deep six Hathaway. One of the worse things she has done is to replace him with Warde. Let's hope the second statement is wrong - time will tell.
As much as I want Warde to push P to have someone else call the plays starting TODAY, think Warde deserves a little more time. Unlike Hathaway he has a great track record as the top guy plus experience as a I-A player.

Reaction Score
"What is your philosophy offensively and defensively?"
"Offensively, the goal will be achieving balance. We want to run the ball, but we want to throw the ball as well. We'll throw the ball for explosive gains on first and second down, and on third down we want to be productive, which is a very big commitment. The other area that we need to be outstanding in is the red zone. The percentage of scores and touchdowns in the red zone is a huge factor when determining who wins and loses at this level of football. Obviously the turnovers are a big battle, and we're going to work very hard on the turnover issue on defense. One of the great players from the state of Connecticut was a guy named Dwight Freeney from Bloomfield High School. He came to Syracuse and had this knack to get after the ball. He had the fastest hands I'd ever been around. I realized from being around Dwight that it's like wildfire. Once the team sees and realizes the impact it can have, it can permeate throughout the team. We're going to coach the turnover and taking care of the ball on defense. We're going to work hard on the explosive play, which goes for 16 yards or more. We're going to work on the red zone. The score is the most important statistic, but if you play the percentages we're going to take care of those things."

Reaction Score
Reality is Hathaway should of hired Garrick McGee or Tom Bradey(my either/or choices).....BUT as a AD at a school with a BCS level football prigram he was in WAY OVER HIS HEAD!!! I was about as big a JH basher as there was on this board...he set back UConn athletics a LONG way when he finally made a big decision! He also thought he would kiss Herbst's a*s and she wouldn't bother him..boy was he wrong!!! Manuel has a lot of cleaning up to do from that idiot! He is where he belongs...at a school with no football program! I have trust in Manuel and Herbst that the right decisions will be made to correct this HUGE mistake!
Here is Hathaway's Hofstra email address in case you want to send him a thankyou
jeffrey.hathaway@hofstra.edu

Reaction Score
Yup JH left us a nice going away present.

Kinda like your cousin leaving your crazy old uncle with you and saying "Gotta Go !!"

Reaction Score
Gotta love this coaching staff. I was about to shed a tear when I saw our first play of the game was a pass.

This thread title deserves to be on full display for the world to see. Should be bumped to the top.
We were joking after the first play that we expect Coach P to turn around and flip us all the bird. Remember he defied us to predict what they would run on first down....Defied us

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That he was leaving,he knew it and said to himself " here take that Uconn and have fun with it"That is laughing out loud were ever he is.
The "wherever" turns out to be in the AD's office at Hofstra.
Reality is JH did nit make or approve the decision. The board did. Larry McHugh has ultimate power.
McHugh and the board approved Hathaway's recommendation. Hathaway conducted the search and performed the interviews. article

"You know, I don’t know what ‘the safe hire’ means," UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway said when I asked if he had made one. "What I know is we got a guy who’s spent more years in the Big East Conference as a head coach than anybody else. He’s won more championships than anybody else (tied with Rich Rodriguez). He has had 14 teams, 10 of them recognized by the AFCA for academic success. He’s put quality people into the NFL at the highest level. He’s deeply respected in every recruiting area that we recruit in and as we continue to enhance our recruiting areas, he has notoriety and respect in those areas also.

"I know that I evaluated the facts, I did due diligence, and we got the best person."

Everyone who knows Hathaway would call him a by-the-book guy. He said he interviewed six candidates (but can’t say who they are) and that Pasqualoni was in it from the beginning. Pasqualoni was on Hathaway’s "short list," the list that every big-time college AD must have just in case your football coach texts you an hour or so after you compete in the Fiesta Bowl to let you know he is interviewing for his "dream" job.

Reaction Score
The "wherever" turns out to be in the AD's office at Hofstra.

McHugh and the board approved Hathaway's recommendation. Hathaway conducted the search and performed the interviews. article

"You know, I don’t know what ‘the safe hire’ means," UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway said when I asked if he had made one. "What I know is we got a guy who’s spent more years in the Big East Conference as a head coach than anybody else. He’s won more championships than anybody else (tied with Rich Rodriguez). He has had 14 teams, 10 of them recognized by the AFCA for academic success. He’s put quality people into the NFL at the highest level. He’s deeply respected in every recruiting area that we recruit in and as we continue to enhance our recruiting areas, he has notoriety and respect in those areas also.

"I know that I evaluated the facts, I did due diligence, and we got the best person."

Everyone who knows Hathaway would call him a by-the-book guy. He said he interviewed six candidates (but can’t say who they are) and that Pasqualoni was in it from the beginning. Pasqualoni was on Hathaway’s "short list," the list that every big-time college AD must have just in case your football coach texts you an hour or so after you compete in the Fiesta Bowl to let you know he is interviewing for his "dream" job.
Chardis nailed it in that article.

Love this coach from PP "We’re here to have a program that everybody can be excited about," Pasqualoni said. "We want to bring a program to the fans that can be fun to watch. I want to be fun to watch. You can have fun watching the defense, have fun watching the offense and have fun watching the special teams."

The new coach is well aware that he’s being labeled the comfortable pick, not the most exciting.

"I know I’m not the sexiest hire," Pasqualoni said, "but I can be a little more sexy than people think I can be."

A friend may have come up with the best observation of the hiring.

"All we have to do is wait," he told me. "If he wins, he was the best man for the job. If he doesn’t, he wasn’t."

This program is not fun to watch.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Chardis nailed it in that article.

He left out one majornitem however.

When JH flew to Dallas to interview McGhee (who worked for Arkansas at that time) it was basically as subterfuge so that he could also interview PP without anyone (primarily Burton) knowing. I'm pretty confident that JH had decided to hire PP before the interview. It was a very unimaginative move.

Reaction Score
I want to be fun to watch. You can have fun watching the defense, have fun watching the offense and have fun watching the special teams."
He only fulfilled 1/3rd of that quote.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Jeff Hathaway for this, i'm sure he hired what he thought was the best person. I blame P for hiring DeLeone and then doubling down on him by making him OL coach. P needs to rid himself of that mistake or he needs to be shown the door.

Edsall was smart enough to save his ass by firing his coordinators last year, P may be too stubborn to survive his own mistake

Reaction Score
I don't blame Jeff Hathaway for this, i'm sure he hired what he thought was the best person. I blame P for hiring DeLeone and then doubling down on him by making him OL coach. P needs to rid himself of that mistake or he needs to be shown the door.
You need to blame Hathaway...he should have known he was in over his head and relied on Chuck Neinas to help him with the interviews! Jeff Hathaway is directly responsible for this disaster of a hire...just like he is directly responsible for the hoops practice facility still not being a reality...just like he is directly responsible for basically closing the compliance office and allowing The men's hoops fiasco to get to the point it got to...all the while screaming for his bonus!!! He is DIRECTLY to blame for this!!!

Reaction Score
You need to blame Hathaway...he should have known he was in over his head and relied on Chuck Neinas to help him with the interviews! Jeff Hathaway is directly responsible for this disaster of a hire...just like he is directly responsible for the hoops practice facility still not being a reality...just like he is directly responsible for basically closing the compliance office and allowing The men's hoops fiasco to get to the point it got to...all the while screaming for his bonus!!! He is DIRECTLY to blame for this!!!

Who did you want him to hire?

I keep hearing Garrick McGee's name brought up like he is some sort of genius but what is his record? The Delaware coach's star has fallen, most on this board hated the idea of Whipple, Mangini didn't want the job, nobody wanted Hathaway to promote Hughes.

In hindsight Joe Moorhead may have been a good choice, but there was no push for him at the time.

P might have been a good choice if he didn't bring his soulmate with him.

Right now Don Brown seems like a great candidate. December can't come fast enough.

Reaction Score
McGee was the best choice if all the names you mentioned. Tom Bradley was another name...but it's funny how the guy gets beat out for the Pitt and Temple jobs then turns down an interview at UConn. Why...I don't know maybe because wors was out Hathaway was gonna hire a retread! McGee or Bradley would have been MUCH better hires than Pasqualoni. And it was a given he was gonna call DeLeone and get the band together again.

Reaction Score
McGee was the best choice if all the names you mentioned. Tom Bradley was another name...but it's funny how the guy gets beat out for the Pitt and Temple jobs then turns down an interview at UConn. Why...I don't know maybe because wors was out Hathaway was gonna hire a retread! McGee or Bradley would have been MUCH better hires than Pasqualoni. And it was a given he was gonna call DeLeone and get the band together again.

I agree!

Reaction Score
The thing is with the likes of McGee and Bradley - at least fans could hope that things might get better and all they need is a bit more experience or recruiting to pick up...With PP there is no hope. We know what we have. End of story.

Reaction Score
He is also responsible for the basketball team screwing up its APR.

WRONG. Hathaway is partially responsible. That's JC's fault. The buck - or failing grade - stops with him. He took full responsibility and should have.

Reaction Score

Edsall was smart enough to save his ass by firing his coordinators last year, P may be too stubborn to survive his own mistake

I do blame Hathaway. When an AD makes a HC hire he is in effect deciding what offensive and defensive system he is going to get. If he didn't know that he was also hiring George DeLeone at the time, if he didn't know what a miserable failure DeLeone was a OC...

Look if he admits that he knew, then that's bad, because if he did his due diligence then he knows he was horrendous OC.

If says he did not know that it's utter incompetence in not to doing due dilegence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We were joking after the first play that we expect Coach P to turn around and flip us all the bird. Remember he defied us to predict what they would run on first down....Defied us

Yeah, in OT we make one first down. Now on 1st and 10 on the 14 or so, does he surprise us (or Temple)? No, under stress he reverts to form. Run up the middle, stuffed. Now it's our time to flip him the bird.

Reaction Score
F Hathaway. As much as we love to hate him, Edsall would still be here if not for Hathaway. Assistants coached the entire Fiesta Bowl season without contracts while Hathaway negotiated his own. Randy never told that story on his way out.

Reaction Score

Hathaway hired this clown. Out of all the things he could've done, out of all the choices, he hired Paul ducking Pasqualoni. He was on NOBODY'S radar in college football. NOBODY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom