Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
stars schmars - UConn FB had a bunch of 2 star recruits that are presently playing in the NFL and there are a bunch of 5 star recruits that are now presently hanging on street corners - its whats inside and how coaching and mentorship molds the young individual.

Reaction Score
stars schmars - UConn FB had a bunch of 2 star recruits that are presently playing in the NFL and there are a bunch of 5 star recruits that are now presently hanging on street corners - its whats inside and how coaching and mentorship molds the young individual.
It's true what you said but football and bball recruiting is totally different. Bball your less likely to have a kid come out of nowhere. 2star football players turning into stars is more likely. Congrats to Jalen ,he deserved the 5 star rating .

Reaction Score

That may be true, but you have a hell of a better chance of making the pros or being successful in college as a 5 star as opposed to a 2 star.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
That may be true, but you have a hell of a better chance of making the pros or being successful in college as a 5 star as opposed to a 2 star.

so its about making the pro's? You are right that more 5 stars make pros than 2 - but its about UConn BB - no? And a 5 star rating doesnt guarentee anything.
Here is the link to the top 2009 recruits - there a MANY 5 stars that are nowhere - so stars schmars.
Couple of names on the list:

John Henson #5
Keith Gallon #9
Kenny Boynton #12
Dante Taylor #14
Renardo Sidney#16
Wally Judge#18
Royce White#19
Alex Oriahki#20
I think I missed a few - thats like 50%
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1642/0

Reaction Score

I hear you and 5* vs 4* distinction in BB can be not much at all.

However BBis a much different sport, easier to evaluate therefore arguably more accurate evaluations, only 10 vs 22 playing, fewer surprises. Kids can't go straight out of HS > the league...they wouldn't survive (physically) need time to mature.

Doubt you'll see many 2* in NBA if that's what you're saying.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I hear you and 5* vs 4* distinction in BB can be not much at all.

However BBis a much different sport, easier to evaluate therefore arguably more accurate evaluations, only 10 vs 22 playing, fewer surprises. Kids can't go straight out of HS > the league...they wouldn't survive (physically) need time to mature.

Doubt you'll see many 2* in NBA if that's what you're saying.

I guess I am saying stars dont matter when it comes down to it - many 5 stars do nothing.
it is about your talent but its whats inside and how coaching and mentorship molds the young individual.
#25 in 2009 was Milton Jennings - Serious inside/outside scoring threat. Remember him? Me neither
#48 Kwahi Leonard - athletic forward who can contribut in many ways 4 star -remember him? Me too!!!

Reaction Score
I guess I am saying stars dont matter when it comes down to it - many 5 stars do nothing.
it is about your talent but its whats inside and how coaching and mentorship molds the young individual.
#25 in 2009 was Milton Jennings - Serious inside/outside scoring threat. Remember him? Me neither
#48 Kwahi Leonard - athletic forward who can contribut in many ways 4 star -remember him? Me too!!!

You're talking about differences among the top 100 kids in a class. That's one thing. Realistically, there is no meaningful difference between the 25th ranked kid and the 49th.

But if your "stars schmars" theory and your analogy to UConn football is intended to convey the argument that there's no real difference between a 5 star basketball recruit and a 2 star kid, you're going to have a very difficult time supporting it with any competent evidence, because that's just not remotely true.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You're talking about differences among the top 100 kids in a class. That's one thing. Realistically, there is no meaningful difference between the 25th ranked kid and the 49th.

But if your "stars schmars" theory and your analogy to UConn football is intended to convey the argument that there's no real difference between a 5 star basketball recruit and a 2 star kid, you're going to have a very difficult time supporting it with any competent evidence, because that's just not remotely true.

agreed there is a real difference between 2 vs 5 - ill stick with stars schmars...

Reaction Score
so its about making the pro's? You are right that more 5 stars make pros than 2 - but its about UConn BB - no? And a 5 star rating doesnt guarentee anything.
Here is the link to the top 2009 recruits - there a MANY 5 stars that are nowhere - so stars schmars.

John Henson #5
Keith Gallon #9
Kenny Boynton #12
Dante Taylor #14
Renardo Sidney#16
Wally Judge#18
Royce White#19
Alex Oriahki#20
They all must be on street corners now, huh?

Reaction Score

John Henson #5
Keith Gallon #9
Kenny Boynton #12
Dante Taylor #14
Renardo Sidney#16
Wally Judge#18
Royce White#19
Alex Oriahki#20

First off, Henson and Boynton were very good players. Royce was damn near great at times, do you not remember what he did to UConn in 2012? Oriakhi was inconsistent but played a key role on a national championship team.

And honestly what do you expect the results to look like if you showed a sampling of 3 star players? You're right, 5 stars aren't guarantees, but they're much closer to being guarantees than any other star rating.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This isn't football - a 5 star player means you can come into your respected school and contribute a good amount. Whether they make it in the pros is on their hands, not the colleges.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This isn't football - a 5 star player means you can come into your respected school and contribute a good amount. Whether they make it in the pros is on their hands, not the colleges.

not always -

Dante Taylor
Renardo Sidney
Keith Gallon

We can agree to disagree.

I am glad Jalen committed to us but I am NOT into stars. The bump could be due to his improvement of basketball skills or could be the school he committed to, among other factors. Again, congrats to him on choosing a great university and getting a full ride - cant wait to see him be part of ten toes in.

If he committed to Yale last month I am not sure he would have received a bump -

Ill stop here - Stars Schmars.

Reaction Score
Clown-Shoes.jpg

Reaction Score
not always -

Dante Taylor
Renardo Sidney
Keith Gallon

We can agree to disagree.

I am glad Jalen committed to us but I am NOT into stars. The bump could be due to his improvement of basketball skills or could be the school he committed to, among other factors. Again, congrats to him on choosing a great university and getting a full ride - cant wait to see him be part of ten toes in.

If he committed to Yale last month I am not sure he would have received a bump -

Ill stop here - Stars Schmars.

Sidney and Gallon had good freshmen years. This isn't an agree to disagree situation, you're just wrong.

Reaction Score
The bump in Jalen's status is a result of his play in the AAU circuit. He can go to college of Rancho Kooka Munga and still be 5star. If Uconn ever had a team of a bunch of 2/3 star players we'd be Seton Hall. Not going to argue anymore ,it's dumb. Bring on Jalen,Stone,Newman and Enoch.

Reaction Score
Here's why the stars are absolutely critical; the next time some dunderhead on this board opines <read in a whiney voice> : "we never get the 5-star guys, when was the last time we got a five-star recruit?", we will have some recent data with which to counter. This might buy us a year or so but probably not.

Reaction Score
Adams was ranked 26th in the update before this one. He's now ranked 25th. The cutoff between 5 stars and 4 stars is 25th. So there's no real change in his ranking and the addition of the 5th star is meaningless.

Reaction Score
The important word is probability

The higher rated you are the greater the probability you will be successful

Yes you will find 5 star busts and 2 star surprises but a higher percentage of 5 stars in basketball and football will be successful than 2 stars.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Renardo Sidney sat out freshman year due to a suspension. His first real season he averaged 14 and 8.

Reaction Score
Adams was ranked 26th in the update before this one. He's now ranked 25th. The cutoff between 5 stars and 4 stars is 25th. So there's no real change in his ranking and the addition of the 5th star is meaningless.
I've always found that arbitrary cutoff to be stupid.

Reaction Score
The important word is probability

The higher rated you are the greater the probability you will be successful

Yes you will find 5 star busts and 2 star surprises but a higher percentage of 5 stars in basketball and football will be successful than 2 stars.

Yes indeed. From some of the posts you read around here, you'd think it was just as likely we'd turn a sub-100 guy into a star as a top-10 guy.

Reaction Score
Congrats to J.A. & his excellent play this summer, but it's all arbitrary...

5 Stars only seem to be important when it comes to the Mc.D's All American team. Since he committed UConn, when the selection of Mc.D's All American team comes about, ESPN will drop J.A. to 4 Stars & voters will leave him off because he didn't sign with KenSucky, Puke, Kansas or UCLA. See D.Ham's omission last year (despite being 5 Star throughout the season)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom