Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Tell that to the analysts during the NCAA tournament. You would have thought UK's collective recruiting rankings would have suffocated the life out of UCONN prior to ever stepping on the court.

I'll take our results the last few years over the blabber of a few suits.

Reaction Score
so who's coming off the bench? seems like an overload of guards, David Crisp is also supposed to be transferring there as well.

Reaction Score
I like that they are going to have a deep backcourt. It'll get JA ready for playing in the deep backcourt KO is putting together.

Reaction Score
trying to have the best backcourt in nepsac history or something? pretty confusing they must be playing 4 guards in crunch time

Reaction Score
Don't know how I feel about this. I'd prefer Adams have the ball in his hands a lot in an unquestioned leadership role. Give him a couple scorers to pass to and let him steer the ship. On the other hand, practices will be ultra competitive.

Reaction Score
Don't know how I feel about this. I'd prefer Adams have the ball in his hands a lot in an unquestioned leadership role. Give him a couple scorers to pass to and let him steer the ship. On the other hand, practices will be ultra competitive.

Why? You think he's going to need to step in steer the ship at UCONN from day 1? Because I certainly hope not. Forget what could possibly reside in the frontcourt when he comes in, look at the backcourt alone.

For starters, Purvis or Hamilton, if not both, should still be here, there's scoring burden off his shoulders. Samuel and Cassell Jr will be here to help with the ball handling, not to mention more scoring, particularly with Cassell. Then you add what a healthy Omar Calhoun can potentially bring in all areas, not to mention the leadership he'll bring regardless. On top of that there is a chance we add another guard/wing to come in with him. I think having him used to playing in a rotation at a variety of backcourt positions is super beneficial for us because I think that's exactly what KO asks of all his guards.

Reaction Score
otp85 said:
Why? You think he's going to need to step in steer the ship at UCONN from day 1? Because I certainly hope not. Forget what could possibly reside in the frontcourt when he comes in, look at the backcourt alone. For starters, Purvis or Hamilton, if not both, should still be here, there's scoring burden off his shoulders. Samuel and Cassell Jr will be here to help with the ball handling, not to mention more scoring, particularly with Cassell. Then you add what a healthy Omar Calhoun can potentially bring in all areas, not to mention the leadership he'll bring regardless. On top of that there is a chance we add another guard/wing to come in with him. I think having him used to playing in a rotation at a variety of backcourt positions is super beneficial for us because I think that's exactly what KO asks of all his guards.

So that his game develops more. Being off the ball and sharing touches, especially in big games or in crunch time, is less effective for his growth than having the ball in his hands making plays (and making mistakes and learning from them).

And yes, I want him to be prepared to steer the ship from day one. Even if he doesn't have to and does an apprenticeship like Kemba and Bazz did. Better to be ready and not needed than needed and not ready.

Reaction Score
So that his game develops more. Being off the ball and sharing touches, especially in big games or in crunch time, is less effective for his growth than having the ball in his hands making plays (and making mistakes and learning from them).

And yes, I want him to be prepared to steer the ship from day one. Even if he doesn't have to and does an apprenticeship like Kemba and Bazz did. Better to be ready and not needed than needed and not ready.

I disagree so much, he should learn to play off the ball and share touches because if he is going to excel at the next level and beyond that is exactly what he will be asked to do. You think him dominating the ball and getting every touch helps him as a player? It doesn't, and it is precisely why he is at Brewster and not elsewhere. With talent around him he learns to makes the right choices on the court instead of relying on his own talent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I've no problem with him filling that junior year Kemba quasi 2 guard role though.

Reaction Score
I disagree so much, he should learn to play off the ball and share touches because if he is going to excel at the next level and beyond that is exactly what he will be asked to do. You think him dominating the ball and getting every touch helps him as a player? It doesn't, and it is precisely why he is at Brewster and not elsewhere. With talent around him he learns to makes the right choices on the court instead of relying on his own talent.

It's fine if he has talent around him - wing talent, post talent, etc. That's ideal. Give him the ball and let him spread it around, make the reads and the important decisions when the game is on the line. I don't want him just chucking all day with a bunch of scrubs averaging 30, but I do want the offense to run through him in high school (I thought it was a great situation with Mitchell and the Georgetown forward - Simon coming in as a top 20 PG is what gives me pause). I think that if we want Adams to eventually become the type of player we hope (i.e. closer to Kemba/Bazz than Tony Robertson - no offense to Tony), then we want him to be an alpha dog, continue to develop those skills, and come in with that mentality. He can learn to play off the ball as a freshman role player when he gets here and has our playbook - that's the easy part. Much easier to have some used to heavy responsibility and reduce their role than to take someone used to being a supplemental piece and putting much more on their plate.

But I think he'll benefit enough from going up against a couple of other top 50 guards in practice for 5-6 months that it doesn't really matter. He'll spend way more time in practice and in workouts than he will in 30 game days. And it may work out that Brewster functions best with Adams as the primary ball handler and Mitchell/Simon playing off the ball, in which case it'll be the best of both worlds.

Reaction Score
We are a team that will always try to have multiple ball handling guards on the court, we will never put him on the court with 2 wings and 2 bigs; or it will be extremely rare if it does look happen. I think it is wildly beneficial for him to be playing alongside someone like Simon or Mitchell especially because they have games so similar to Purvis and Cassell. I think this is so good for him and us. I have said it before and will stick to it, JA is not a true PG, and neither are any of his Brewster teammates. And that's fine because if you look at how teams win in March it is with as many ball handlers as possible. Versatile guard play, it's what KO does.

Reaction Score
We are a team that will always try to have multiple ball handling guards on the court, we will never put him on the court with 2 wings and 2 bigs; or it will be extremely rare if it does look happen. I think it is wildly beneficial for him to be playing alongside someone like Simon or Mitchell especially because they have games so similar to Purvis and Cassell. I think this is so good for him and us. I have said it before and will stick to it, JA is not a true PG, and neither are any of his Brewster teammates. And that's fine because if you look at how teams win in March it is with as many ball handlers as possible. Versatile guard play, it's what KO does.

He's an undersized 2-guard (natural scorer) with the frame, ball handling, vision, and passing skills of a point guard. That fits the mold of the successful modern NBA point guard. Think Rose, Lillard, Westbrook, Wall, Irving, etc. And of course Shabazz.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's an undersized 2-guard (natural scorer) with the frame, ball handling, vision, and passing skills of a point guard. That fits the mold of the successful modern NBA point guard. Think Rose, Lillard, Westbrook, Wall, Irving, etc. And of course Shabazz.

Not too worried about what he'll be in the NBA. All that matters is what he'll be in college.

He's definitely got a frame and the musculature to be thicker/stronger than Bazz. Hopefully more like Rose, minus the knees.

Reaction Score

I don't disagree with you. That is exactly what he is an NBA prospect. I am speaking on him as a college, and more specifically, a UCONN prospect and that's where my evaluation comes from.

Strange though, I don't know when it happened but some time around 7 or 8 years ago no one wanted to be a 2 guard anymore. I think it was after Derrick Rose, but somewhere along the line any 2 that could pass the ball immediately became a ppint guard. D-Wade, AI, guys like that would undoubtedly be pushed to play the 1 in today's game. It was the premier position after Jordan and now it's almost an after thought. Always amazed to watch the game evolve.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Why is Jalen doing a pg year in the first place? Why wouldn't he just enroll at UConn if he's graduated high school and we have the scholarships?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Mitchell wants to be a point guard and that's why we didn't recruit him that seriously, kid is a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom