Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talked with a few of the people who switched picks to UConn. The reasons for switching the crystal ball from Kansas to UConn has more to do with the final choice not being Kansas than anything else.

I think the biggest thing to watch for now with Jalen Adams is Louisville. Louisville has another PG, Bryant Crawford, visiting on June 11. Word is he'll get an offer during that visit so it'll be interesting to see what Lousiville does with its recruitment of Adams if Crawford decides to commit.

Reaction Score
Looking at Louisville's PG situation, they have sophomore Rozier and freshman Snider. But only 1 shooting guard in Gill.

So, 3 guards, which is what Connecticut will have if Purvis moves on. Samuel, Cassell Jr. and Jackson (I have Hamilton and Calhoun playing the 3 at UConn).

Seems to me you have the same level of competition at both schools.

Reaction Score
Looking at Louisville's PG situation, they have sophomore Rozier and freshman Snider. But only 1 shooting guard in Gill.

So, 3 guards, which is what Connecticut will have if Purvis moves on. Samuel, Cassell Jr. and Jackson (I have Hamilton and Calhoun playing the 3 at UConn).

Seems to me you have the same level of competition at both schools.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rozier is a potential early entrant candidate after this year, he's the best guard prospect they've had in awhile

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow, all I remember being tracked in high school was for which girl a boy had a chance with. But that was private.

Times surely have changed. This almost seems close to stalking a teenage kid, monitoring every move, thought or word.

Welcome to life in 2014.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I love this kids game. Cant wait for a commitment. His game screams uconn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The problem with this kid is if we get him, then newman will prob not consider us anymore, which in turn could take us out of the stone race. That said I would take his commitment in a second,c

Reaction Score
The problem with this kid is if we get him, then newman will prob not consider us anymore, which in turn could take us out of the stone race. That said I would take his commitment in a second,c

You take whoever commits first. Much preferable to being left at the altar with none of them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I doubt it. He's the #1 player in the country and more of a 2/3 than a 1/2 like Adams. An Adams commitment shouldn't scare off a guy like Newman who thinks/knows he will get plenty of PT no matter where he goes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I doubt it. He's the #1 player in the country and more of a 2/3 than a 1/2 like Adams. An Adams commitment shouldn't scare off a guy like Newman who thinks/knows he will get plenty of PT no matter where he goes.

Maybe not, but a glut of guards currently in the program, especially vets like TSam and Cassell will be, certainly does. That's definitely one of the metrics kids look at, even if they feel they are better than all those players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Maybe not, but a glut of guards currently in the program, especially vets like TSam and Cassell will be, certainly does. That's definitely one of the metrics kids look at, even if they feel they are better than all those players.
That situation is similar to when Rudy came in with Denham Brown and a Rashad Anderson. But even with the specific situation you spoke on, a freshman Newman would make a much better impact than a sophomore Cassell. Being the #1 player in the country he has no worries about the guy he never heard of.

He and TSam do not play the same position either. Nor would they fill similar duties. TSam will be a pure PG for us and a distributer. Newman's primary role will be to score. Nobody but Purvis, DHam, and Calhoun would get in the way of that. Purvis IMO will be gone after this season.

So I don't think Newman would see that issue of too many guards because our guards wouldn't be able to do what he does it seems.

Reaction Score
And while I'm sure we'd all like DHam to have a season that would justify going one and done, I think too many people are assuming way too early that he'll be gone.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That situation is similar to when Rudy came in with Denham Brown and a Rashad Anderson. But even with the specific situation you spoke on, a freshman Newman would make a much better impact than a sophomore Cassell. Being the #1 player in the country he has no worries about the guy he never heard of.

He and TSam do not play the same position either. Nor would they fill similar duties. TSam will be a pure PG for us and a distributer. Newman's primary role will be to score. Nobody but Purvis, DHam, and Calhoun would get in the way of that. Purvis IMO will be gone after this season.

Yes, but that is an unknown when the kid is deciding. I'm not sure how much he could or would count on that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, but that is an unknown when the kid is deciding. I'm not sure how much he could or would count on that.
This is very true. Good thing he is deciding in spring. Giving him time to see how a guy like Purvis plays under Ollie.

Reaction Score
He got an offer from Louisville. Here's something from Louisville's 247 site:

Louisville offered PG Jalen Adams Saturday, Vin Pastore, his AAU coach, told InsideTheVille.com.

"Kenny (Johnson) talked to Jalen (today) and said Louisville was offering a scholarship and I just texted to confirm," Pastore said. "Kenny told me, 'I told you it was coming."

Adams is ranked No. 45 nationally by 247Sports and is considered the No. 8 PG prospect in the Class of 2015.

"This makes it a little more serious by Louisville, this changes things," said Pastore. "It's real now that they've offered a scholarship. Until you get an offer it doesn't make sense to think about schools. So now he has to rethink about where he'd fit into these places."

UConn, Kansas and Louisville form the top tier of the list for the four-star guard from Boston, Mass, Pastore says. Adams made an unofficial visit to UConn in June.

"The type of dynamic guard he is fits into both (UConn and Louisville) of those places great," Pastore said.

Adams will play in Chicago, Georgia and Las Vegas next month during the evaluation period.

"(Kenny Johnson) said they'd be at all three places watching him," Pastore said.

Here's a new article from Zags Blog (not written by Zags but a different guy): http://zagsblog.com/articles/jalen-adams-receives-louisville-offer-3-recruiting-him-the-hardest/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's play UConn recruiter for a second. Jalen, you can come to UConn, play point guard, win a national title, and be snapped up by one of the best teams in the league who wants you in the rotation. Or you can go to Louisville, play point guard, win a national title, and be a fourth-stringer for one of the worst teams in the NBA and spend most of your time in the D-League.

Easy, peasy!

Reaction Score
When was the last ville guard selected in the first round of the draft? We've had three in the past 4 years. Also who is pitino's best pro out of ville? deng or francisco garcia? lol

Reaction Score
I don't often say this about recruits, but Jalen Adams would be making a big mistake if he committed anywhere but UConn. We've had two point guards drafted in the first round over the last four years, both of whom entered Storrs as comparable prospects to Adams. Between Napier and Walker, you're talking about two guys who UConn molded into stars. And not only were they embraced, seasoned, and finalized here, but they were also featured as the focal point of our offense, and ultimately, given the platform to become household names.

Is it going to suck when you have to play Tulsa, East Carolina, and Tulane every year? Yeah. But you're also playing for a program whose brand is increasing exponentially, plays a national schedule, and is going to have an opportunity to play deep into March every season. When you play at UConn, exposure isn't going to be a problem, whether we play in the Big Ten or the American East. Not to mention, you're playing for a guy who played 12 years in the NBA, is drowning in league contacts, and is one of the most personable/inspirational people you're ever going to meet. I'm a UConn fan, but I'm a bigger college basketball fan. You're not getting the same opportunity to make it in the league at Louisville as you are here, you're just not. Jalen should do himself a favor and shut down the recruiting process. There's nothing to think about, nothing to talk about, nothing to consider. Everything he needs is 80 miles south, just ask the last point guard from Roxbury.

Reaction Score
I don't often say this about recruits, but Jalen Adams would be making a big mistake if he committed anywhere but UConn.

I don't know if you can say a kid with his talent would be making a mistake going elsewhere. To think he couldn't become a star playing at Kansas is a bit outrageous. I'd love him to stay close to home too but to think we are the key his future success may be selling him short.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you can say a kid with his talent would be making a mistake going elsewhere. To think he couldn't become a star playing at Kansas is a bit outrageous. I'd love him to stay close to home too but to think we are the key his future success may be selling him short.

Not saying he can't be successful elsewhere, just that his best chance to be is here. Since Chalmers, Kansas hasn't exactly been a point guard hot bed - big men seem to be emphasized in Self's offense more so than guards. Kansas is a great program but they don't have our pedigree in terms of developing point guards.

Reaction Score
going on record of ssaying this is not a good development. Will be a dog fight down till the end for Mr. Adams (Hence the E. Davis offer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom