Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly can say I would. Now I'm not saying they are better, I would never take that away from Newman/Stone. But personally I don't want rent those two. Stone already has a huge ego and Newman is a one and done for sure. Maybe you get a championship, MAYBE, a huge maybe. I'd rather have Adams/Sharma with something to prove and draft stock they'll actually have to work for.
So Stone already has a huge ego? I believe it was also you saying Phil Nolan is selfish, making negative judgements on teenagers you don't know personally is not a good look.

Reaction Score
I really want both of these guys, but we don't know how long either any recruit will be around so it isn't wise too assume one will be here longer than another
You have judge if they are physically mature.

Reaction Score
Some links, for those into links.
May 17th -
Jalen Adams KILLS It @ Adidas Uprising (Indy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjxWZoRKamc

May 20th
Jalen Adams (2015) New Mixtape @ Adidas Uprising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE-uvf0JHC4
We all knew Jalen could shoot, handle & dunk it… but he has some slick passes in these videos.

May 4th
Josh Sharma – Adidas Gauntlet – Dallas
Mostly dunks, including several from Jalen passes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoqcA8KRzF4

May 29th
Josh Sharma – Adidas Gauntlet – Orlando
Developing Big Man – Long Article – Scroll halfway down.
http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/adidas-gauntlet-orlando-fl

Josh Sharma – MaxPreps – 2013-2014 Stats - 8.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.9 pbg
Not overly impressive, though Mount Hermon does play a tough schedule.
You can see his per game stats if you click on “Var 13-14”
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/josh-sharma/B7bADfTuEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Couldn’t find season stats for Jalen Adams. I like the way he attacks & takes charge.
I hate to say this, but Sharma looks Travis Knight-esque with build & play at a similar stage. Similar length, strength & athleticism too.... my opinions.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but Sharma looks Travis Knight-esque with build & play at a similar stage. Similar length, strength & athleticism too.... my opinions.
Why "hate" to say that? Knight was, both per minute and overall rate, the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years. If we get another Travis in this class we should all be pumped.

Reaction Score
Matrim55 said:
Why "hate" to say that? Knight was, both per minute and overall rate, the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years. If we get another Travis in this class we should all be pumped.

I have read that Travis was a great rebounder a few times in recent weeks, and the stats don't lie, he did some rebounding alright. However, I just don't recall ever feeling very confident in Travis. He was pretty good, but I've never heard anyone long for the good ole days of Travis Knight. He was our center when we were nicknamed the donut team.

Reaction Score

Not bad "hate"... Just because it's makes it seem like I only know UConn players... But their build, athleticism, game appear identical at this state. Can't think of anyone else he resembles right now. Travis did eventually develop into a nice player.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
These two could be core players in our "drive for five", of course by the time they get here we may be trying to get our "fix for six"!

I'm not knocking your here, but this sounds like something Syracuse fans would say. Minus 3 or 4 titles of course.

Reaction Score
I have read that Travis was a great rebounder a few times in recent weeks, and the stats don't lie, he did some rebounding alright. However, I just don't recall ever feeling very confident in Travis. He was pretty good, but I've never heard anyone long for the good ole days of Travis Knight. He was our center when we were nicknamed the donut team.

To some degree, Knight's rebounding numbers could be influenced by pace. Those UConn teams played fast - can picture Donny sprinting full court and getting a Sheffer outlet after a made basket (never mind misses). And if that wasn't there, Ollie (then Moore) would push it up court in a hurry. Our NCAA scores in 1995 were 95-90, 99-89 and 102-96.

He still has to get those misses, of course. And perhaps advanced metrics would show pace didn't make any difference. I just know if we had to go get a rebound,and I could take one guy, I'd take Okafor first - then probably Adrien, Knight 2-3 (Kimball and Quimby being before for my time, and Drummond not being here long enough to unleash his rebounding beast). I like Freeman's heart, but he'd be a tick behind for being a little undersized. Perhaps I'm underselling Knight.

Reaction Score
No, Their's Would Be More Like “Were Due For Two".

I don't know how you guys are all getting it wrong. their's would be something about how UConn stole every championship we have from them and that they really should have the titles we have .. or something like that.

Oh and... something something helms championship.
I'd say that about sums it up.

Back to the topic, anyone talk to the kids while they were here or afterwards? I looked at their twitters and neither said anything about it personally.

Reaction Score

Have to say I liked Travis Knights game and he played much tougher than his physique too……..could run the court and had a real nice 12-15 foot banker which was close to money……….underrated for sure!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My mouth still drops open when I remember how Travis got 20+ mil in the NBA. What a country!

Reaction Score
Why do I remember Pitino being involved in that? Maybe I'm wrong.
You are correct. Pitino signed Knight to a 7 year $22 million contract back in 1997. Just one of the many stupid moves Pitino made as the Celtics' coach/GM.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You are correct. Pitino signed Knight to a 7 year $22 million contract back in 1997. Just one of the many stupid moves Pitino made as the Celtics' coach/GM.

Not saying that it was a good contract (it wasn't), but Travis could have been a better player no? I felt that he kind of became the proverbial 'fat and lazy' around that time. Might just be my impression.

Reaction Score
He was pretty good, but I've never heard anyone long for the good ole days of Travis Knight. He was our center when we were nicknamed the donut team.
We were 33-3 in the Big East his junior and senior seasons, during which he was the third most important player on the team. We have certainly had better and more successful centers since then, and if we long for anything we should long for the days of Emeka, but if we "only" end up with another Travis, we will be sitting pretty.

I just know if we had to go get a rebound,and I could take one guy, I'd take Okafor first - then probably Adrien, Knight 2-3...
This is totally fair, and I think I agree with your order in spite of what the stats say.

Not saying that it was a good contract (it wasn't), but Travis could have been a better player no? I felt that he kind of became the proverbial 'fat and lazy' around that time. Might just be my impression.
That is the rumor, and I haven't seen a lot to dispute it.

Nonetheless, it bothers me that Travis, Doron, Kirk King and a few others from that era aren't remembered as fondly as they should be. It's the price they pay for not winning a title (they would have in '96 if Ricky hadn't gotten hurt; we all know that), but that was a goshdarn fun team to watch.

Anyway, this has gotten pretty far afield. Obviously it means that Josh Sharma is, in fact, the next Travis Knight and he's coming to UConn.

Reaction Score

I just think Travis was the perfect back up to Shaq at LA and had some great games coming off the bench. If I remember correctly most viewed Pitino's signing as a mistake stating Knight was just that, a nice back up option for a real good team but Rick saw more. While deep down inside Travis may have loved where he stood behind Shaq and would rather not come out from that particular shadow, 23M over 7 years will make you take the next step. Thanks Ricky P……….lol……...

Reaction Score
Ray's 3 yrs. were Knight's 4 years. We were 49-5 in the toughest BB conference in the country.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom