Jacobs Weighs In | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Weighs In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some people forgot the simple saying, "any press is good press". What I think Calhoun is doing for himself and the school he build. Unless he's actually a Catholic and wants to atone for supporting evolution. He's free to do as he wants.

Besides, who are any of us to tell Calhoun what the duckk to do?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I got "stalked" by this guy, many years ago, as he was writing an article about a few good volunteers trying to enforce a rule in a youth sports tourney. It came down to knowing the rules before you entered the tourney, but then a few coaches started in on gamesmanship, and made a farce of the rules for the remaining 90% of the teams that had followed them. I spent weeks screening my calls ...

I'd love to respond to this, but I am not allowed to call public figures names. I'll just say that I am sorry that happened to you. It sounds highly annoying.

Reaction Score
This most likely came from Calhoun's agent. But when BC put word out logically I think, that they have no interest in hiring him, Calhoun should have said I am not interested in the BC job. Period." End of story. This is pretty much the same situation as Randy Edsall to Notre Dame a few years ago. Started by his agent. ND had no interest in Edsall and they hired Kelly. At some point Jim Calhoun just needs to step aside and let his hand picked successor run the show.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At some point Jim Calhoun just needs to step aside and let his hand picked successor run the show.
He did that two years ago. I realize that you've missed most of the time between then and now because the results have been positive, despite your hopes to the contrary. You might try paying a little attention.

Reaction Score
Some people forgot the simple saying, "any press is good press". What I think Calhoun is doing for himself and the school he build. Unless he's actually a Catholic and wants to atone for supporting evolution. He's free to do as he wants.

Besides, who are any of us to tell Calhoun what the duckk to do?

If he wanted to coach again, at BC no less, then he doesn't get to hold WM hostage in naming his successor. this.

Reaction Score
If he wanted to coach again, at BC no less, then he doesn't get to hold WM hostage in naming his successor. this.

??? What does one have to do with another? He has said he has no interest right now to coach, he left it open, why is this so bad? He certainly wasn't thinking of the BC job the day he told UConn his career was over…….

Are people not allowed to change their minds? Some of you are ridiculous………….and we should all be thanking him for "holding WM hostage" because if it ever did get outside of the UConn family it would never have been the same!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, because that worked out so badly.

SMH

We may have the worst, most insecure, ungrateful fan base on the planet. Either that, or a disproportionate number of the most miserable ones post here.

Reaction Score
What Jacobs misses is that this is the time of year where coaching vacancies generally get filled. The fact that he thinks Calhoun is consciously trying to deflect attention away from the current team just demonstrates how far removed from reality Jacobs is. Do I hate the fact that this has become a story with the biggest game of Ollie's tenure just hours away? Yeah, but if JC wants to get back into coaching, he has to put out feelers now.
Calhoun could have shut it down by saying, no I'm not interested in coaching and have not pursued any jobs. Instead it's this nebulous,I haven't contacted BC or if I felt this good 2 years ago I never would have retired.

Reaction Score
I have to weigh in on Jacob's side. As huskiesnyc wrote, JC could have emphatically shut this down. He clearly left the door open, and allowed the writers in. Read the quotes tweeted by Duffy yesterday.

Duffy Calhoun: "Someone is speculating, and like I said, I would never say never, and from that it's grown it's own life a little bit."

Duffy: Calhoun said he "can't speculate" if he'd show interest should B.C. reach out to him.

Duffy: Calhoun (cont): "I haven't thought about it..well I shouldn't say that, that would be untrue. I haven't done anything about it."

Duffy: Calhoun (cont): You could say, 'well, say you're never going to coach again.' I'm not going to say that."

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Cheddie said:
I have to weigh in on Jacob's side. As huskiesnyc wrote, JC could have emphatically shut this down. He clearly left the door open, and allowed the writers in. Read the quotes tweeted by Duffy yesterday. Duffy Calhoun: "Someone is speculating, and like I said, I would never say never, and from that it's grown it's own life a little bit." Duffy: Calhoun said he "can't speculate" if he'd show interest should B.C. reach out to him. Duffy: Calhoun (cont): "I haven't thought about it..well I shouldn't say that, that would be untrue. I haven't done anything about it." Duffy: Calhoun (cont): You could say, 'well, say you're never going to coach again.' I'm not going to say that."

Listen, if people have a problem with Calhoun not outright squashing it that's fine. That's not me ... guy loves basketball and seems to respond honestly when he says never say never. He's allowed to do that.

But what Jacobs is suggesting is that Calhoun is orchestrating this simply as a reason to put attention on himself. It's a joke and it's transparent on his behalf ... it's his typical agenda to a 'T'. And remarkably, or perhaps not, it's ironic coming from Jeff.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with this. As I said, he needs to step aside and let his successor take the limelight. If he wants the BC job, man up and say so. If he doesn't put an end to this nonsense. Its pretty simple. No doubt he'll be the center of attention at tonight's game. Maybe they'll even do an interview. He can replace the St Joe coach's grandkid. He might want to sit on the bench so they don't miss him...Jeez just ask Coach Oliver to step aside if you want to come back. He owes you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Listen, if people have a problem with Calhoun not outright squashing it that's fine. That's not me ... guy loves basketball and seems to respond honestly when he says never say never. He's allowed to do that.

But what Jacobs is suggesting is that Calhoun is orchestrating this simply as a reason to put attention on himself. It's a joke and it's transparent on his behalf ... it's his typical agenda to a 'T'. And remarkably, or perhaps not, it's ironic coming from Jeff.
The only people who have a problem with it are those with an agenda and those who don't have basic reading comprehension skills.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have to agree with this. As I said, he needs to step aside and let his successor take the limelight. If he wants the BC job, man up and say so. If he doesn't put an end to this nonsense. Its pretty simple. No doubt he'll be the center of attention at tonight's game. Maybe they'll even do an interview. He can replace the St Joe coach's grandkid. He might want to sit on the bench so they don't miss him...Jeez just ask Coach Oliver to step aside if you want to come back. He owes you.
And then there are those who have both problems...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Jeff goodman about to be on ESPN radio to talk about JC

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Jeff goodman about to be on ESPN radio to talk about JC
He basically said "I live in Boston, I know the BC job. If they were interested I feel he would be interested." Never talks about sources saying anything about his direct interest in the BC job, only that sources told him a school had reached out to JC to gauge his interest in an opening but it wasn't a good fit."

Reaction Score
Yeah, because that worked out so badly.

SMH

We may have the worst, most insecure, ungrateful fan base on the planet. Either that, or a disproportionate number of the most miserable ones post here.

I don't see why you have to resort to name calling cause we see this differently and I don't kiss the 3 rings and worship at the alter.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Any school that would hire JC or any other 70+ coach is crazy. BC's cupboard is bare and they are in total rebuilding mode. You don't bring in an old coach into that situation especially not one with a history of health problems. Coaching D1 ball is all about energy, getting out on the road on the recruiting trail, late night game prep etc. JC was already slipping at the end of his UCONN run. It's one thing to be an assistant like Keady or Blaney, quite another to be a headcoach. And yes, as a UCONN guy, I would not look favorably on him going to BC, the school that's worked to screw the school that helped him to become a Hall of Fame coach he is every chance they've gotten.

Reaction Score
I don't see why you have to resort to name calling cause we see this differently and I don't kiss the 3 rings and worship at the alter.
Why is everyone so sensitive here? Im not specifically calling you out Jimmy, but dang there have been quite a few of these posts recently about people calling other people names. I could really care less what some Gooby on an internet message board calls me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My sou

My sources say the deal is contingent upon the two schools swapping conferences.
Here's the question. Say that's true, would you do it? I have to say yes, but makes me feel unclean just to think it.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Why is everyone so sensitive here? Im not specifically calling you out Jimmy, but dang there have been quite a few of these posts recently about people calling other people names. I could really care less what some Gooby on an internet message board calls me.

You obviously don't work for the Hartford Courant then.

Reaction Score
There is a fundamental disagreement here between the people who think Calhoun has earned the right to do whatever he wants to do, even if it hurts the UConn program, and those who think he did a terrific job as head coach but he resigned. He should just go gracefully and let the new head coach take any glory he earns. If he wants to coach again, he should do it, but he shouldn't do this Hamlet on the Fenton act. Just resign from his position with UConn and go to his new assignment. If he doesn't want the BC game, just say so and get the hell off the stage.

CL82

Reaction Score
Irony: a technique of indicating an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

CL82

Reaction Score
Great post. Obviously I love Calhoun but this pisses me off. If JC is not interested in the BC job he should have immediately put the rumors to rest. He handled Andy Katz's questions in the AAC tournament like an amateur. If he is in fact interested in the BC job fine, just get the hell out of our locker room and away from the team. This is Ollie's team now. Stay if you are going to help, but I wish he would just get away if he's going to take away from our players accomplishments. Can't you just let these kids savor the victory for 12 hours before stealing the show Jim?? And of all teams he's interested in Boston College? His antics and comments towards BC in 2004 probably cost us membership in the ACC! If he is dying to coach again great, just don't do it at Boston College, Syracuse or Providence.

PS: I know it's poor journalism and all speculation on the part of that hack Goodman, but JC had a chance to put a stop to this.
He pretty much did this and in a pretty timely fashion. Tough to be critical of him on this.

Reaction Score

I don't believe Jacobs is saying JC is "orchestrating" this. It's much more innocuous. He's suggesting that JC enjoys the attention, enjoys chatting with reporters, and that his off-hand comments have fostered the flurry. Like you, I really don't care if he wants to leave the door open (and apparently neither does KO or his players). But no one can fairly expect his comments, in today's media/Internet environment that micro-scrutinizes everything, not to become a story. I'm simply saying it's unfair to shoot the messengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom