I've reached my breaking point with Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I've reached my breaking point with Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

UConn is not good this year, but this * is unbearable and needs to end.

Ollie hasn't coached many good offenses, true. He's also been coach to phenomenal defenses. He's also at minimum a "good" recruiter. We can't do any better. He's a young coach. He needs time and patience too.

If UConn is to really suck this year, the worst ting we can do as fans is mope and complain. It's embarrassing. Look towards the future. Adams is a stud, Jackson will be a big time scorer, and Vital will be one of the best three star recruits we've ever had. UConn'a world isn't ending, but people acting like it is are only hurting the reputation of the program. There's going to be lumps, suck it up and be supportive.

I don't see Adams here next year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Pointing out glaring weaknesses our coach needs to improve upon is called being a good fan. Saying everything is sunshine and rainbows when it's not is being a poor fan IMO.
I understand the frustration and many good minds on this board have pointed out things that I never saw. That's fine and I am grateful for the insight.
But there comes a time when we have to accept reality. All the belaboring of the perceived weaknesses over and over again is not going to change anything.
I don't think the AD and president are looking for insight from the BY at this point. There are potentially a lot of recruits who may be looking at this board
and we don't necessarily make a good advertisement for the program when we keep despairing and complaining. Have to stay positive and look to the future. Wonder if KO (and AD and president) have taken up the matters with JC for his insight). JC loyal to the program to the end. Let's hope that KO and the rest of the leadership get united and straighten things out both inside this season and eyeing the future with lessons learned.

Reaction Score
UConn is not good this year, but this * is unbearable and needs to end.

Ollie hasn't coached many good offenses, true. He's also been coach to phenomenal defenses. He's also at minimum a "good" recruiter. We can't do any better. He's a young coach. He needs time and patience too.

If UConn is to really suck this year, the worst ting we can do as fans is mope and complain. It's embarrassing. Look towards the future. Adams is a stud, Jackson will be a big time scorer, and Vital will be one of the best three star recruits we've ever had. UConn'a world isn't ending, but people acting like it is are only hurting the reputation of the program. There's going to be lumps, suck it up and be supportive.
This is absolute nonsense. Let me remind you that Ollie is the highest paid person by the state of ct in a results orientated business. If he isn't getting the results that his 3million plus comp package warrants, he deserves all the criticism in the world. To me, the embarrassment is the performance to date by this team. Not the criticism that has coincided.

Reaction Score
This is absolute nonsense. Let me remind you that Ollie is the highest paid person by the state of ct in a results orientated business. If he isn't getting the results that his 3million plus comp package warrants, he deserves all the criticism in the world. To me, the embarrassment is the performance to date by this team. Not the criticism that has coincided.

You guys are wound too tight.

We're criticizing you, not your right to criticize.

Ollie was heavily criticized here right up until he won a championship. Calhoun used to be heavily criticized here even after winning championships.

Jeez, Louise, you guys have absolutely no patience.

Reaction Score

Ollie was heavily criticized here right up until he won a championship. Calhoun used to be heavily criticized here even after winning championships.

Calhoun's offense was crappy too during off years:rolleyes:. It comes and it goes, they come and they go. next......

Reaction Score
Calhoun's offense was crappy too during off years:rolleyes:. It comes and it goes, they come and they go. next.

In 2010, Calhoun was done. Over. We needed to make a transition.

In 2012, it was so ugly, it was time to retire definitely.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if he came back for a few more years.

I also think many of the fans posting here will be gone when UConn doesn't win 4 championships in the next 16 years.

If UConn becomes Indiana, they will fly the coup.

Reaction Score
Preach. When you don't have Coach K or Cal this happens once in a while. If you're bailing now, then act embarrassed when they're nasty next year and have fun bashing our coach to the rest of the world.

The problem isn't that "this happens once in a while". The problem is conference realignment and what it will eventually do to all sports at UConn. Not being in a P5 conference kills them in two areas: $$$ and and being able to recruit at the highest levels. This is very similar to the dire warning made by Lew Perkins in the 90's when is was pleading/pushing for UConn to commit to joining the BE in football. At the time he warned that if UConn did not take advantage of the small window of opportunity it had, failure to do so would eventually effect all sports. I believe that to be true today.

Reaction Score

Patience? We were just told for the past few years to support athletics unconditionally to enhance its P5 profile. Yeah, so much for that. Now, the football and more specifically men's basketball are a shell of themselves and we are supposed to be patient. Why don't you be consistent! Pick a side, you can't have it both ways. UConn can't afford to be patient. Especially with coaches 3-5 years in.
I am sorry but if you don't think Ollie deserves criticism then you don't quite understand where UConn resides in the business of college athletics. The start to this season has done more harm than a 2-4(1-4 to the committee) record would indicate.

Patience......Haha, that's a good one.

Reaction Score

How was Ollie heavily criticized prior to the 2014 championship? He got guys who had nothing to play for to play their butts off in 12-13 and produce better results than any of us could have imagined. He then won a ring in his second year. It's only the past year or so that he's taken heat by the fan base and rightly so, given the results.

C

Chief00

So the UConn team was on my flight late last night from Maui to LAX and I have to say that I found it interesting that while the team was sitting together in the airport having a reasonably decent time before boarding, Ollie was sitting on the complete opposite end of the gate area with no one from the team or staff anywhere near him. Also thought it was interesting that the entire team and staff was in coach on the flight except for Ollie sitting row 1 in first class.

I'm sure this is making something out of nothing but...

Or maybe this explains the slow starts in Maui in that our players were so stiff from being crammed in coach for 11 hours of flights. Can't believe UConn doesn't charter for something like Maui. Pretty sure Wisconsin and UNC at least chartered for the trip. Maybe this is part of the AAC purgatory effect...

I wouldn't read too much into Ollie keeping a distance from the team at times. That's probably healthy. Calhoun used to send the team back to campus with George after XL games and go out with his wife and friends.

Reaction Score
Texas AD Mike Perrin in statement on Charlie Strong: "The results simply aren’t there, so we’ve decided to make a change."

Good programs demand results. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
Texas AD Mike Perrin in statement on Charlie Strong: "The results simply aren’t there, so we’ve decided to make a change."

26-31 at Texas and great recruiting classes - can you please now give me the other guys credentials you are speaking of?

Reaction Score
How was Ollie heavily criticized prior to the 2014 championship? He got guys who had nothing to play for to play their butts off in 12-13 and produce better results than any of us could have imagined. He then won a ring in his second year. It's only the past year or so that he's taken heat by the fan base and rightly so, given the results.

No. Wrong. He was heavily criticized here. Heavily. It was relentless.

Reaction Score

Yes, and the change was Charlie Strong!!! Think about that.

Reaction Score
Patience? We were just told for the past few years to support athletics unconditionally to enhance its P5 profile. Yeah, so much for that. Now, the football and more specifically men's basketball are a shell of themselves and we are supposed to be patient. Why don't you be consistent! Pick a side, you can't have it both ways. UConn can't afford to be patient. Especially with coaches 3-5 years in.
I am sorry but if you don't think Ollie deserves criticism then you don't quite understand where UConn resides in the business of college athletics. The start to this season has done more harm than a 2-4(1-4 to the committee) record would indicate.

Patience.Haha, that's a good one.

I think you're a short-termer.

Reaction Score
I think you're a short-termer.
Yep, seems like classifying a 30+ year fan as a short termer certainly fits the current narrative. It certainly proves how tone deaf certain people are.

Reaction Score

I hear where the KO criticism is coming from. I don't think anyone, especially now after the injuries, is calling for KO's head at the end of this season

I think if next year's team underwhelms KO needs to at least take a pay cut (although with the buyout money drying up and with UConn being stuck in the AAC for at least the next 5 years, this may happen regardless). He has shown flashes, and he is young so he does need time to learn to be a head coach, but I don't think anyone can justify continuously paying him what we are to learn. Trainees, however promising they may be, don't typically make as much as 20 year experts. He is getting paid an elite winner's salary; with that come expectations. The extension and money kept him here after the NC, and I will say this: I'm sure KO's stock as an NBA coach has fallen significantly over the last few years and we don't need to worry about him leaving any time soon regardless of his pay.

Reaction Score
I hear where the KO criticism is coming from. I don't think anyone, especially now after the injuries, is calling for KO's head at the end of this season

I think if next year's team underwhelms KO needs to at least take a pay cut (although with the buyout money drying up and with UConn being stuck in the AAC for at least the next 5 years, this may happen regardless). He has shown flashes, and he is young so he does need time to learn to be a head coach, but I don't think anyone can justify continuously paying him what we are to learn. Trainees, however promising they may be, don't typically make as much as 20 year experts. He is getting paid an elite winner's salary; with that come expectations. The extension and money kept him here after the NC, and I will say this: I'm sure KO's stock as an NBA coach has fallen significantly over the last few years and we don't need to worry about him leaving any time soon regardless of his pay.

The problem for UConn is national perception. Not what people on this board think but what others around the nation think about UConn. It's indisputable that going 1-2 in Maui and losing to Wagner and Northeastern at home has caused irreparable harm to UConns national perception. Those losses coupled with the dumpster fire of a football program help fuel the fire of any UConn critic. Rivals are laughing at just how far UConn has fallen. Evaluating where both programs currently are prove what the naysayers claimed would happen, albeit faster than even they probably anticipated. And we are supposed to be patient? That is a word thrown around programs trying to rebuild. If UConn hoops has to rebuild, then it's probably to late. To not be critical of the early season performance says how out of touch people on here really are. We are past the point of excuses. We are at the point for this administration and these coaches to be accountable.

Reaction Score
Yep, seems like classifying a 30+ year fan as a short termer certainly fits the current narrative. It certainly proves how tone deaf certain people are.
It's been very easy to be a fan the last 30 years, that's his point.

Reaction Score
The problem for UConn is national perception. Not what people on this board think but what others around the nation think about UConn. It's indisputable that going 1-2 in Maui and losing to Wagner and Northeastern at home has caused irreparable harm to UConns national perception. Those losses coupled with the dumpster fire of a football program help fuel the fire of any UConn critic. Rivals are laughing at just how far UConn has fallen. Evaluating where both programs currently are prove what the naysayers claimed would happen, albeit faster than even they probably anticipated. And we are supposed to be patient? That is a word thrown around programs trying to rebuild. If UConn hoops has to rebuild, then it's probably to late. To not be critical of the early season performance says how out of touch people on here really are. We are past the point of excuses. We are at the point for this administration and these coaches to be accountable.
I was with you at first then read this display of short-sightedness and immaturity. Two bad November losses causing "irreperable harm" lmao you drama queen

Reaction Score
You appear to be delusional.

Reaction Score
I was with you at first then read this display of short-sightedness and immaturity. Two bad November losses causing "irreperable harm" lmao you drama queen
Start with the name calling when you move outside the comforts of the UConn bubble. If anything, your response is what's immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom