Is there a date yet for this year's game at South Carolina? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there a date yet for this year's game at South Carolina?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Got to love the BY! In two post you can go from date of SC game in @SC to Lake effect on snow.
Does SC have any lakes that actually get snow?

We get at least a little bit of snow in Columbia every winter with a decent snow every 2-3 years, on average. (4"+)

Here's some proof:

My front yard:
167852_499578122350_6495970_n.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Not so fast, my friend. In the late 1970's, perhaps the same winter that Buffalo, NY got hammered, '78 I think it was, there was a huge blizzard in South Carolina, two feet of snow in some places. I had relatives living in Florence at that time, who now live at Pawley's Island. They couldn't go anywhere in a car for over a week. They had to walk to the nearest grocery store, maybe a half mile or more one way, to get anything. Admittedly such weather anomalies are rare for SC, but they can happen.

That was 1973, and I had just moved from NJ to SC. We had 16" of snow in Columbia and we missed close to 2 weeks of school because it stayed very cold after the snow. People had laughed at me because I brought my sled with me. Guess who had the last laugh?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yes - much higher. Hartford and New Haven are about on par with each other while Bridgeport has lower crime, but none of those cities are really close to the overall crime rates in Myrtle Beach which might as well be renamed Little Caracas. South Carolina as a state has the 7th highest violent crime rate while Connecticut is 39th. Connecticut may be more of an urban densely populated state, but crime rates are relatively low compared to many more rural southern states.

It's the heat.... when you have 7 to 8 warm weather months a year tempers flare easily I guess..

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We get at least a little bit of snow in Columbia every winter with a decent snow every 2-3 years, on average. (4"+)

Here's some proof:

My front yard:
167852_499578122350_6495970_n.jpg

A few years ago when I was in school we got about 9 or 10 inches of snow in Columbia right before we were supposed to come back from winter break... it was so cold that week that the snow just hung around for two weeks.. USC canceled classes for an extra week and a half. All of the students were back from break just hanging around Columbia having snowball fights for three days.. streets downtown were closed.. it got to the point that we begged Pastides to resume classes because we were bored haha..

Reaction Score
I went to the game in Columbia 2 years ago- I first tried to get tickets through a connection at UCONN- turned out all the allocation for UCONN was earmarked for a group of donors. You could only buy a ticket from the SC box office if you were a member of the Gamecock club. Couldn't find one- everyone in my community is a Clemson fan. So I ended up buying a general admission ticket from a secondary seller for a reasonable price, and that got me a seat on the second level on a first come basis. I found a woman in a UCONN shirt to sit next too, and we cheered together. Even though the game was sold out, there were plenty of seats on the second level. Nice arena-

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I went to the game in Columbia 2 years ago- I first tried to get tickets through a connection at UConn- turned out all the allocation for UConn was earmarked for a group of donors. You could only buy a ticket from the SC box office if you were a member of the Gamecock club. Couldn't find one- everyone in my community is a Clemson fan. So I ended up buying a general admission ticket from a secondary seller for a reasonable price, and that got me a seat on the second level on a first come basis. I found a woman in a UConn shirt to sit next too, and we cheered together. Even though the game was sold out, there were plenty of seats on the second level. Nice arena-

Yes, there are always tickets available outside the arena, even when games are sold out.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that's a highly misleading statistic.
Crime rates are calculated as # of crimes divided by population.
A heavy tourist area, like Myrtle Beach, will have a ton of visitors, none of which will get counted in the denominator, but all of which are eligible for the numerator.

Vowelguy, you beat me to it. Yes, there is violent crime and gang activity. Both of those exist everywhere. Stats based on population inaccurately spike any percentages because of so, so many tourists. Peak season you're almost elbow to elbow when you go to Broadway. Over the winter, my wife and went to walk around on a nice night and saw maybe 30 people, not including workers, in an hour.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really really really want to go to this game. I'm thinking I may drive. Can't wait til they release the date.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy, you beat me to it. Yes, there is violent crime and gang activity. Both of those exist everywhere. Stats based on population inaccurately spike any percentages because of so, so many tourists. Peak season you're almost elbow to elbow when you go to Broadway. Over the winter, my wife and went to walk around on a nice night and saw maybe 30 people, not including workers, in an hour.
Tourist locations are generally more susceptible to property crimes, or crimes of opportunity like theft, and not so much violent crimes like murder. NYC is probably the nation's biggest tourist trap, yet Myrtle Beach has a murder rate 6.5 times higher, and more than half that of Detroit's. Given that South Carolina as a state is #7 for violent crime indicates that there's more to it than just tourists.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can we please at least try to stay on topic here. South Carolina get lake snow or nah? :eek:

Reaction Score
The last time Uconn played in Columbia there were no single tickets available for that game. I had to purchase season tickets or join the booster club to get some.

I was surprised that Mrytle Beach ranked higher (well, actually lower) on this list - 16th most dangerous. Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout.

Living in NC for the past twenty years, I have seen snow plenty of times - just not quite as deep.

Reaction Score
Definately jealous! Wish I didn't have to ever worry about the snow or ice!
For years my wife and I raced 9 foot Dyer sailboats (called frostbiting) in Connecticut on Long Island Sound, every winter Sunday between November and April. The fleet was followed around the course by crash boats, in case someone capsized, a common occurrence. We wore only winter clothes, not wet suits and you haven't lived until you experienced capsizing in the middle of winter with the wind blowing 20 knots.

It was a lot of fun and was good getting out of the house into the elements. Made the winter zoom by, and a piece of cake. Actually, the CT winters aren't all that bad. There is a lot of sun and the towns are well equipped to clear the streets of any snow quickly.

Another advantage is the high house prices in most areas of CT. If you want to go south, it's easy to afford after selling your high priced CT house.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Can we please at least try to stay on topic here. South Carolina get lake snow or nah? :eek:

You're probably being sarcastic, but just to answer.. we have no large natural bodies of water (obviously besides the Atlantic Ocean). Most of the large lakes in South Carolina are man made in fact and they're not large enough to really create masses of warm air.. also, that cold air from Canada seldomly makes it down this far..

I just nerded out on you, but the short answer is no.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You're probably being sarcastic, but just to answer.. we have no large natural bodies of water (obviously besides the Atlantic Ocean). Most of the large lakes in South Carolina are man made in fact..
Probably?
Just to be clear, ( if not further off topic) do the man made lakes have man made snow?

Reaction Score
Probably?
Just to be clear, ( if not further off topic) do the man made lakes have man made snow?

Lake Jocassee in the Blue Ridge Mountains in the upper part of the State isn't man made and get snow every winter. It's a very beautiful view when the lake is frozen solid.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Not so fast, my friend. In the late 1970's, perhaps the same winter that Buffalo, NY got hammered, '78 I think it was, there was a huge blizzard in South Carolina, two feet of snow in some places. I had relatives living in Florence at that time, who now live at Pawley's Island. They couldn't go anywhere in a car for over a week. They had to walk to the nearest grocery store, maybe a half mile or more one way, to get anything. Admittedly such weather anomalies are rare for SC, but they can happen.

Whoa... Boy do I remember that storm in Myrtle Beach... The wife and I and our two kids (at that time maybe 7 and 5) decided to have Christmas in MB... On the way from I-95 to MB (75 miles or so) the flakes started and by the time we were close to the Strand, there were cars shooting off the road and into the ditches... My wife was smart enough to insist we stop at a grocery store while driving in to pick up our turkey and other stuff before going to our condominium... How smart that was because we had to stay in our building. No heavy coats. No boots. No gloves. On the roads, no plows anywhere. Some ruts on the major thoroughfares where the yahoo-crazies drove, but nothing else could. Everything froze including the outdoor showers which all burst coating palm trees with ice in beautiful displays... We even got stuck in our building's elevator (outdoor type) and had to be rescued by maintenance people... Three days later my kids and I helped push our car up a slushy icy incline of a lower level garage to free us and spare us from further... cabin fever...

Reaction Score
I went to the game in Columbia 2 years ago- I first tried to get tickets through a connection at UConn- turned out all the allocation for UConn was earmarked for a group of donors. You could only buy a ticket from the SC box office if you were a member of the Gamecock club. Couldn't find one- everyone in my community is a Clemson fan. So I ended up buying a general admission ticket from a secondary seller for a reasonable price, and that got me a seat on the second level on a first come basis. I found a woman in a UConn shirt to sit next too, and we cheered together. Even though the game was sold out, there were plenty of seats on the second level. Nice arena-

I'm about 2 hours away..I tried to get tickets a couple years ago and was very difficult so please let me/us know if you find a good site for them. I prefer to buy tickets ahead of time and not take a chance in waiting to get there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Stubhub is usually pretty good.. it's going to be somewhat difficult to get tickets through the school for that game.

Our arena fits 18,000.. there will be tickets available for visiting fans.

Reaction Score
I'm about 2 hours away..I tried to get tickets a couple years ago and was very difficult so please let me/us know if you find a good site for them. I prefer to buy tickets ahead of time and not take a chance in waiting to get there.
I bought a ticket on Stubhub, as SCGamecock recommended, at a reasonable price, probably $20-25, for general admission- that gave me access to the second level first come/served, and I got a fine seat. I live on Seabrook Island and stayed overnight on campus- worked well, and will do it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom