Is there a date yet for this year's game at South Carolina? | The Boneyard

Is there a date yet for this year's game at South Carolina?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No.. not yet and that's likely another reason we haven't released our schedule yet.

This year Louisville took our "traditional" February game which worked well for SC because it typically fell during a lull in SEC play.. so it's quite possible UConn and SC will play earlier in the season during the time actual non-conference teams play... I can't see too many dates SC would agree to in January/February and it is our "return" game after all. Finding a time for broadcast has to be considered too.. ESPN will want this game on a Monday because it highlights marquee games in college basketball.

So January/February still possible but not likely..

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
No.. not yet and that's likely another reason we haven't released our schedule yet.

This year Louisville took our "traditional" February game which worked well for SC because it typically fell during a lull in SEC play.. so it's quite possible UConn and SC will play earlier in the season during the time actual non-conference teams play... I can't see too many dates SC would agree to in January/February and it is our "return" game after all. Finding a time for broadcast has to be considered too.. ESPN will want this game on a Monday because it highlights marquee games in college basketball.

I was hoping it was February because I wanted to go. The weather is nasty here in February and by then we have already had at least 4 months of snow so a break is nice. January would work too.

Reaction Score
I was hoping it was February because I wanted to go. The weather is nasty here in February and by then we have already had at least 4 months of snow so a break is nice. January would work too.
Winter in Connecticut is wonderful--she-ing is good even without the lifts. Tobogganing, skating
---my greatest fun was in late February mid March--slushing--driving on main street
There was--a few nice places around Storrs to do these things--

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Winter in Connecticut is wonderful--she-ing is good even without the lifts. Tobogganing, skating
---my greatest fun was in late February mid March--slushing--driving on main street
There was--a few nice places around Storrs to do these things--
I live in Fairport NY and that lake effect snow in February is miserable. There is good snow shoeing and skiing though. Just the month of February every year is when most around here go on vacation. You need a break because some years the snow stays well into April.

Reaction Score
I live in Fairport NY and that lake effect snow in February is miserable. There is good snow shoeing and skiing though. Just the month of February every year is when most around here go on vacation. You need a break because some years the snow stays well into April.

If the lake effect is like Buffalo--it's is miserable and interesting--I have trudged through 24 inches in the city (cars abandoned all over the city) snarled, went to Millard Fillmore hospital,` a quarter mile away nada nothing--no snow.
that is the Lake effect.
I love snow--but that along with taxes, bad traffic, costs, bad state/town cost management, drove me out---too many close together snowstorms and no place left to put the snow.

Reaction Score
I moved last year from Stratford to Myrtle Beach. (Hence my question about game timing.) Loving that I don't ever have to think about snow again. Never. Ever.

Hey SCGamecock, is there a link or site where I can be notified when single game tickets go on sale? Many thanks. Two and a half hours away, we'll be there.

Reaction Score
I moved last year from Stratford to Myrtle Beach. (Hence my question about game timing.) Loving that I don't ever have to think about snow again. Never. Ever.

Definately jealous! Wish I didn't have to ever worry about the snow or ice!

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

You think that will be a marquee game? Uconn and SC? Nawwww.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I moved from Stratford all the way down to FL many years ago, but over the years I've been running back against the flow, first to VA and about 2 years ago, back to upstate NY. Talk about snow. Fortunately, I purchased an Ariens Deluxe 28" 2-stage Electric Start, Gas Snow Blower with Auto-Turn Steering.

Reaction Score
I moved from Stratford all the way down to FL many years ago, but over the years I've been running back against the flow, first to VA and about 2 years ago, back to upstate NY. Talk about snow. Fortunately, I purchased an Ariens Deluxe 28" 2-stage Electric Start, Gas Snow Blower with Auto-Turn Steering.

Good luck with that. Back to the cold and snow will not happen with me.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
If the lake effect is like Buffalo--it's is miserable and interesting--I have trudged through 24 inches in the city (cars abandoned all over the city) snarled, went to Millard Fillmore hospital,` a quarter mile away nada nothing--no snow.
that is the Lake effect.
I love snow--but that along with taxes, bad traffic, costs, bad state/town cost management, drove me out---too many close together snowstorms and no place left to put the snow.
Yeah that's the main problem. Not really the snow or the amount it's that they don't have anywhere to put it once it starts. We are a bit over an hour away from Buffalo. They get it from the west off Lake Erie and we get it from the north off Lake Ontario as we are a suburb of the city of Rochester.

upload_2017-7-18_13-54-54.png

Don't get me wrong, I love living in a place where we get 4 seasons (albeit we get about 5 months of winter, 2 months of spring, 2 months of summer, & 3 months of fall) but the only thing good about February is the kids get an extra week of winter break off of school in addition to their one week Holiday break in December & it's still WCBB season. I complain just like everyone else here does no matter the season. We all say, "Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes it'll change." LOL I can't say I would trade the Great Lakes for anything though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Got to love the BY! In two post you can go from date of SC game in @SC to Lake effect on snow.
Does SC have any lakes that actually get snow?

Reaction Score
Got to love the BY! In two post you can go from date of SC game in @SC to Lake effect on snow.

Here in Myrtle Beach we had flurries for about 10 minutes one day last winter. Up against palm trees, it looked quite nice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here in Myrtle Beach we had flurries for about 10 minutes one day last winter. Up against palm trees, it looked quite nice.
That is Myrtle BEACH right? I have been to the Beach Ball classic twice, didn't feel like I was standing on no lake. :confused:
beach.jpg

Reaction Score
The last time I was in Columbia--last fall, I think, -I found one person who would talk WBB with me--and I was given a very large SNOW job. The wind was blowing--sleet was flowing--and USC was winning--not. But --as they say--to the Victor (whom ever he may be) belongs the spoils.

For your edification: The lake effect situation was raised by another poster--I used, as Geno says to do, that which was given. I learned from a Marine Col. Ervin Carlson--attack from the front with a small force, create a u shaped parameter around your enemy--and force him, in small sections into multiple ambushes. What has that got to do with WBB or lake effect or anything? Nothing --Col Carlson, whose father was Pastor in Plymouth, ct, is a hero of mine.

Reaction Score
Myrtle Beach has one of the highest crime rates in the country. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Lived on Satellite beach (sp) off of Melbourne, Fla. for nearly 2 years. Good eateries, easy access to the O club in Patrick, and except for the occasional hurricane, which forced us in-land a few times--it was nice--my disconnect was--I never saw so many old people in all modes of physical being--saw signs that said--when I get old--I'm moving North--and driving slow--long time living in FLA not for me. Almost retired to Okla--nice people, nice living, hot summers, cold winters, but they have Sheri Coale.

Reaction Score
Even higher than Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven?
Yes - much higher. Hartford and New Haven are about on par with each other while Bridgeport has lower crime, but none of those cities are really close to the overall crime rates in Myrtle Beach which might as well be renamed Little Caracas. South Carolina as a state has the 7th highest violent crime rate while Connecticut is 39th. Connecticut may be more of an urban densely populated state, but crime rates are relatively low compared to many more rural southern states.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just got back from spending a week in Las Vegas to visit our granddaughter, and to watch the NBA Summer Games. We saw a lot of basketball, and a few celebrities. You guys are talking about SNOW in the winter time.
I'll flip the script and mention the heat that manifested itself every day we were there. Sunday, it was 116. Everyday it was between 112-116. The folks that live there are use to it. It snows there too. They've been know to get down-into thee single digits at times. Has a great time. We came back home to 95 degree weather. It felt mild compared to the dry heat in the Nevada desert.

Lonzo Ball
is the real deal. The Laker game was sold out the first night. Everyone wanted to see Lonzo. Those summer games are very addicting. By the third day, I was hooked. It was open seating, so we had good seats for every game. Eight games a day (4 in each) in two adjoining arenas, Thomas & Mack and the Cox Arena (where the UNLV women play). You could go back and forth to bothms were arenas to see games of your preference as long as you had a ticket for that day's games. 24 NBA teams participated in the Vegas games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes - much higher. Hartford and New Haven are about on par with each other while Bridgeport has lower crime, but none of those cities are really close to the overall crime rates in Myrtle Beach which might as well be renamed Little Caracas. South Carolina as a state has the 7th highest violent crime rate while Connecticut is 39th. Connecticut may be more of an urban densely populated state, but crime rates are relatively low compared to many more rural southern states.

Yet Connecticut is barely growing in population...... yet the rural southern states like South Carolina have been growing for decades. I guess people prefer high crime over high taxes :oops:

So all yall connecticutians thinking about coming down south for the game..... better hope its a sunday day game........ dont wanna be caught at night out on the wild wild west streets of Columbia :cool::p:D:eek:;):):oops::rolleyes:

Crap..... I just remembered that Duke has a game in Columbia this season....... :oops:

Reaction Score
So, SC Gamecock., I'm sure I speak for many others here in asking that you keep us posted on schedule/ticket news for UConn/SC. There are plenty of us who'd do that drive -- in our case, from Florida.

Reaction Score
Myrtle Beach has one of the highest crime rates in the country. No thanks.

I'm guessing that's a highly misleading statistic.
Crime rates are calculated as # of crimes divided by population.
A heavy tourist area, like Myrtle Beach, will have a ton of visitors, none of which will get counted in the denominator, but all of which are eligible for the numerator.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Hey SCGamecock, is there a link or site where I can be notified when single game tickets go on sale? Many thanks. Two and a half hours away, we'll be there.

Not so fast, my friend. In the late 1970's, perhaps the same winter that Buffalo, NY got hammered, '78 I think it was, there was a huge blizzard in South Carolina, two feet of snow in some places. I had relatives living in Florence at that time, who now live at Pawley's Island. They couldn't go anywhere in a car for over a week. They had to walk to the nearest grocery store, maybe a half mile or more one way, to get anything. Admittedly such weather anomalies are rare for SC, but they can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom