Is the BYU/UConn game sold out? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is the BYU/UConn game sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I expect BYU will have about 3,000 fans for the game on Friday.
Well, there must some Mormon presence in CT because they're almost done with a new temple on Rt 6 in Farmington.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, there must some Mormon presence in CT because they're almost done with a new temple on Rt 6 in Farmington.

The Morman church just a couple miles from the Rent has been there for 50 years.

Reaction Score
If anyone can help out with 2 tickets, please PM me. My girl just moved to Connecticut and would love to go. We are on a super tight budget for now.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The QB on my team in high school was mormon as was one of our WR's. There were definitely mormons in my community in CT, NW corner.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
According to Dez, security will be moving people along 30 minutes prior to game time. We'll see how that goes...
'Bout time... And for those folks who cant stop partyin to get into the game, you can bring road sodas up to the gate. Pound em, and chuck the can or bottle in the dumpster. Just sayin. I cant wait!!!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If anyone can help out with 2 tickets, please PM me. My girl just moved to Connecticut and would love to go. We are on a super tight budget for now.

@Butch - see the "Knot in my Stomach" thread. Someone has a freebie they are offering. Combine that with the Fillthe Rent promo and you are looking at a reasonable night out.

Reaction Score
'Bout time... And for those folks who cant stop partyin to get into the game, you can bring road sodas up to the gate. Pound em, and chuck the can or bottle in the dumpster. Just sayin. I cant wait!!!

While the intent is good, I'm not a fan of telling paying customers when they have to pack up their tailgate and get into the stadium.

Reaction Score
My brother and a handful of his friends have a set of 4 Red Sox season tix. They divy them up in pairs (162 total pairs) using a snake draft before the beginning of the season. You could do the same thing with four or six seats here either figure it out in singles or pairs. I'd be interested but 7,000 miles is a long way to travel even for a UCONN football game.

My Sister and I split 4 season tickets, before the season, we figure out how best to split the games for the year. She makes the donation so I give her first choice. With my tickets, I try to take my son, but he has scouts and other weekend commitments, my wife and daughter have no interest, so I take friends, bother-in-law, anyone who I think would apprciate the game and try to get them to become more of a fan.

See you Friday!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We start breaking down the tent and grill about a half hour before game time. Just like set up, everyone has a job for breakdown. From turning off the burners to closing the tailgate, it takes us under 10 minutes. The walk to the stadium takes under five. The bottleneck begins with the inappropriate assault - under the guise of additional security - at the gate and the time it takes to have the tickets scanned (they never scan on the first try). It was so much faster just to tear them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Enough, Dooley. We get the point.

Don't shoot the messenger. Simply ignore the posts if you don't like them. Besides, the posts aren't for anyone who has already bought tickets. They are for the casual fan that may be lurking on our board, on the fence about buying a ticket. Seems like a fairly simple concept to grasp...I'm surprised that I even have to defend it here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Simply ignore the posts if you don't like them.

I can't, they are everywhere. They've crossed the line from friendly reminder to hectoring scold. It sounds desperate and pathetic. And at the end of the day, counterproductive.

Reaction Score
Not surprised about the tickets. But when the winning starts and the entertainment factor increases then that will change.

And BYU isn't sexy enough to overcome last season's experience.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Not surprised about the tickets. But when the winning starts and the entertainment factor increases then that will change.

And BYU isn't s e xy enough to overcome last season's experience.

Zoo I think you're right. That combined with Friday night on Labor Day weekend, the last hurrah of summer, etc... all add up. I think Thursday or Friday next week would have sold better- September date, Labor Day and "summer" over (especially in peoples' minds).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm impressed they have sold this many for Labor Day weekend. Really getting this close prior is pretty great after 15k of us witnessed Memphis.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can't, they are everywhere. They've crossed the line from friendly reminder to hectoring scold. It sounds desperate and pathetic. And at the end of the day, counterproductive.
ADB has been a basketball-focused blog (until this summer when they expanded to football and added @Russ_Steinberg to cover UConn football) so I think this post was targeted at casual fans. UConn has to somehow get the bball fans who traditionally don't pay attention to football to turn into football ticket buyers. So I don't have a problem with this post even if it does sound desperate... because our CR situation is kind of desperate.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Then please, by all means, put me on ignore then. I really don't care. I'm not going to stop spreading the UCONN message. Ever.

I'm not scolding. Again, I didn't write the piece that I linked. And again, the message isn't for you or anyone else who already has tickets or is planning on going. The message, written by others and spread by me (and others), is for folks who are on the fence about going to games. It's written for the casual fan who is sitting on some disposable cash who doesn't have a ticket already. Did you even read the article? It's funny while being a call to arms. I also didn't write the "too many tickets remain" title. It's the title of the article...again, written by somebody else.

And desperate?? You do realize that we are in the American Athletic Conference, right? That means a revenue stream of about $20M-$40M per year less than our geographic r1vals. You like Kevin Ollie? Geno? Diaco? Winning hoops titles? If you've answered 'yes' to any of those things, the you would understand that we ARE in a desperate time. Our Big East exit fee money is going to dry up soon and, when it does, our athletic budget will have to go down with it. So, yes, we are desperate. And, again, if you already have football tickets then this piece, written by someone else and forwarded along by me, is not for you. Simply ignore the post or ignore me. I don't care which. But I will NEVER stop advocating for my school that I love so much.

"We can do better. You can do better. It’s Friday. You’ll leave work a little early. Why not head to East Hartford, have a beer or 12, get a little rowdy and watch some football?

Last I checked, this was America and that’s what we do.

“Oh, but I had a long week!”

Suck it up. Unwind outside with 40,000 of your craziest friends and scream your face off. You won’t regret it.

“Oh, but we can’t find a babysitter.”

Bring the kid. Let him or her know what UConn football is all about. If they never learn the beauty of college sports, they might end up like Derek the RA. No one wants that.

“But I can watch the game in peace on my TV.”

Sure. You can watch a silent stadium on TV and not be bothered. Or you could be right there in the middle of everything, doing whatever you can to push your team to victory. Your call.

“But I don’t have anyone to go with”

So go yourself. Make a friend at the game. I’ve done it and am not afraid to admit it. No one judges you. But we will all judge you for staying home and being antisocial.

Here’s what it comes down to, guys: UConn opened as 17-point dogs, so there’s a decent chance BYU wins this game. But that doesn’t mean you have to make it easy on them. That doesn’t mean the Cougars can’t hate every damn second they are on that field, unable to hear anything but the screams and cheers of a crowd obsessed.

And hey, that could be what spurs the upset. You never know.

There are plenty of tickets still available and at least one of them has your name on it.

For the love of Dan Orlovsky, rise the hell up.
"

Dooley

Reaction Score
ADB has been a basketball-focused blog (until this summer when they expanded to football and added @Russ_Steinberg to cover UConn football) so I think this post was targeted at casual fans. UConn has to somehow get the bball fans who traditionally don't pay attention to football to turn into football ticket buyers. So I don't have a problem with this post even if it does sound desperate... because our CR situation is kind of desperate.

This.

A Dime Back is trying to rally the "hoops" segment of UCONN fans. The casual football fans. THIS is who this ADB-written piece is for...some of whom may be lurking silently, reading this ridiculous back-and-forth and on the fence about buying tickets.

Reaction Score
If the team starts winning on a consistent basis, more people will come. They did back in the 2000s during the team's success years. And in the meantime UConn has to keep properly promoting the snot out of them too.

All is not lost here, CR apocalypse or not. CT is still a state that likes sports, including football, but that's always been watching the NFL on TV. Since we never had our own FBS football team presence to call our own before the upgrade, the casual sports fan in this state probably still isn't used to going to games on a regular basis. Tradition takes time, and so does building a consistent fan base.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If the team starts winning on a consistent basis, more people will come. They did back in the 2000s during the team's success years. And in the meantime UConn has to keep properly promoting the snot out of them too.

All is not lost here, CR apocalypse or not. CT is still a state that likes sports, including football, but that's always been watching the NFL on TV. Since we never had our own FBS football team presence to call our own before the upgrade, the casual sports fan in this state probably still isn't used to going to games on a regular basis. Tradition takes time, and so does building a consistent fan base.

Agreed. UCONN needs to win again (or at least be far more competitive than last season) and promote the brand. They've done a good job marketing the program and tickets this season. Everywhere I look, there's a UCONN commercial on TV, a billboard, a banner ad on a site that I'm on, on social media, etc. Really stepped up their marketing efforts and that's good. The diehards will be there come snow, sleet, rain or sunshine. It's the casual fan that they're trying to re-connect with by all of this marketing and advertising. Those fans that left the program in the past 3 seasons (and rightfully so).

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
This.

A Dime Back is trying to rally the "hoops" segment of UCONN fans. The casual football fans. THIS is who this ADB-written piece is for...some of whom may be lurking silently, reading this ridiculous back-and-forth and on the fence about buying tickets.
I didn't see any promotion of the BYU game, or the larger "call to arms" for UConn, on either the MBB or WBB boards right here on the Boneyard. One would think some cross-board promotion would be in order given the circumstances. We're all in the same boat as it relates to CR, right?

Reaction Score
I didn't see any promotion of the BYU game, or the larger "call to arms" for UConn, on either the MBB or WBB boards right here on the Boneyard. One would think some cross-board promotion would be in order given the circumstances. We're all in the same boat as it relates to CR, right?

We'll all in the same Boat, right? Absolutely.

Dooley

Reaction Score

You're absolutely right. That has been corrected. Posted messages on both hoops boards. #HuskyUp

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tank McNamara had a series of strips a while back that stuck with me. They were talking about support for women's sports in particular but the punchline is applicable here. Is UConn football a pasttime or a cause? Because if it is a cause, count me out. There are many more and better causes. When I try to sell UConn FB, I'm selling the fun of the game and the tailgate. Selling tickets like their are some kind of obligation is a loser. The "casual" fan isn't swayed by hand wringing about stuff like revenue streams. Saying that "we ARE in a desperate time" is an insult to those that are really in desperate times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom