Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds?

Reaction Score
She will also earn a lot more money after her basketball career is over with a master's degree. That is why I said "in the long run".
Excuse me for being a bit of unimpressed with PHD/Masters (required in some professions). If she obtains the DT/Maya/Stewie notoriety that (with or without the degree) will bring her 1,000,.000 per year--not cumulative. A few, if not many, Uconn players of lessor status have obtained nice positions because of their association with Uconn. Sue and Dt reportedly made more than 5oo,000 per year playing overseas.

Reaction Score
Excuse me for being a bit of unimpressed with PHD/Masters (required in some professions). If she obtains the DT/Maya/Stewie notoriety that (with or without the degree) will bring her 1,000,.000 per year--not cumulative. A few, if not many, Uconn players of lessor status have obtained nice positions because of their association with Uconn. Sue and Dt reportedly made more than 5oo,000 per year playing overseas.

Why would waiting 1 year stop her from obtaining that notoriety? On the other hand if she left early and God forbid suffered a serious injury in her first few seasons then what? Delaying jumping to the WNBA 1 year is not a huge price to pay for an insurance policy like a master's degree.

Reaction Score
Thank you. Some might not like to consider our future line-up, but lots of people here are intensely interested in the future, which is closely linked to recruiting. I see lots of comments and threads about 2018 and 2019 recruits, and who UConn is targeting. Seems to me that there is a common-sense link between who we're trying to entice to Connecticut and what our team will look like going forward. We know what the team will look like next year. But not after that.

So just posing the question of who will be here (a major star waiting in the wings may or may not be here then), we'll have lost our big defensive spark plug (Gabby) by then. So looking to the future is part of the fun.

And if some don't want to muse about the future, they can sit quietly by without engaging.

You're missing the entire point. There already are two other thread that address the recruits. One is on the top of the page and the other is the one titled something like "u17/18 recruiting target observations." So you aren't "just talking about our future lineup" -- you are putting out there that there is a "concern" when you say "Are we again going to be thin in rebounding?" -- Two years from now when you have NO IDEA what that lineup will entail. You've readily dismissed AZ from contention when you've had no idea whether she will stay or not. You're dismissing Lou as an improved rebounder as if she won't improve. You're not taking into account that maybe a player like Walker could be an enormous help on the glass. Can't CCollier play 5-8 minutes at center if need be and then have Lou backup Collier?

Anyhow-- suppose this early in the game you are fan in the belief that Geno will pick up another big OR Az will stay? In other words, why did you ask the question "are we going to be thin again" if you were to have confidence that Geno will probably get another big body? You created its own thread despite the other threads that actively speak of recruiting and needs. One of the threads speaks specifically of "recruiting targets." In addition, suppose you looked at stats for example the Baylor game or the Texas game or the MD game and we still won. So what is the big deal about worrying about rebounding two years from now? The reason I bring this up is that many fans overrate size - for example many fans continued to struggle with UCONN not getting the ball inside enough to Nat. Or I can remember during the summer a poster who didn't come on here often but was criticizing Geno for not playing Nat more clearly indicating that Geno blew it.

Basically to add on bold- I'm always a bit surprised why so many UCONN fans have such fear of size and fear of their team. For example last couple of years there was genuine fear from some about USF. Why? Why are you so concerned about rebounding two years from now when you see we've been able to do darn good even while getting beat pretty good? Sure this year we can lose by it. But for 2 years from now, don't you have confidence in Geno that he'll get another big body? That's what the other two threads speak of in terms of recruits. Who we're after.

Final point- every team in America is questionable in some manner if you look at two years from now. For example, in the summer Danger had surgery. This year not even half done she is hurt. She has a small body. May not be durable. SO is that another "concern?" I emn Coombs is considered a combo guard more than a pg by some, isn't she? WHo is the pg if Danger doesn't produce? What about 3pt shooting? Geno has said in the past he likes to have three shooters that can spread out and shoot against a zone. Suppose AEH's derfense isn't "ready?" Then all we have is two shooters. DO you see hwo easy it is to look out over two

Reaction Score
Why would waiting 1 year stop her from obtaining that notoriety? On the other hand if she left early and God forbid suffered a serious injury in her first few seasons then what? Delaying jumping to the WNBA 1 year is not a huge price to pay for an insurance policy like a master's degree.

Nothing pays like fame. The one year delay into the Wnba MAY enhance her status --depending upon whom she is competing against. If there is no competition for #1--then go out early. It all depends on the situation of either year.
Like lew Alcindor, who pondered whether to leave early or not--I would have counseled him to leave--he didn't
The counsel was base on your assumption of injuries in the final year in college. My belief, and experience from viewing,
that the Degree can wait (if ever achieved ) a top players status and fame will provide financial reward equal or more than the degree. Low level players should obtain the degree- however look at Pattyson-Coulmo (sp) she'd done well just being associated with Geno and his program-(some small local fame)

Reaction Score
Nothing pays like fame. The one year delay into the Wnba MAY enhance her status --depending upon whom she is competing against. If there is no competition for #1--then go out early. It all depends on the situation of either year.
Like lew Alcindor, who pondered whether to leave early or not--I would have counseled him to leave--he didn't
The counsel was base on your assumption of injuries in the final year in college. My belief, and experience from viewing,
that the Degree can wait (if ever achieved ) a top players status and fame will provide financial reward equal or more than the degree. Low level players should obtain the degree- however look at Pattyson-Coulmo (sp) she'd done well just being associated with Geno and his program-(some small local fame)

Yet in a radio interview, Coach Geno was talking about how the women's game would look if they had men's rules. He said that Stewie would have left after her freshman season, and KML would have left after her sophomore season. Of course, if all you're going to get is $50k from the WNBA, then why bother? But if you're going to get, say, $100k as a top recruit, and then after the summer, when WCBB would be starting back up, you're taking off for Russia or Turkey or such for half a million bucks, then the situation looks different. If you only have a few years as a pro, do you pass up several hundred thousand dollars to win one more NC for UConn? Do you risk earning nothing if you injure your knee?

If you were the player of the year in the ACC, then you come back and start for a national champion UConn team, what more have you to gain from staying around? A MA, unless it's an MBA, probably won't get you hundreds of thousands of bucks, certainly not your first year out. So kids have to look out for their bodies and their careers.

Of course, I don't know what Z will do. But a head coach has to plan for the future. He's got to think that this is a serious possibility. And he has to recruit with that in mind. So does he go really hard for post players? Does he cast the net wide with the 18/19 and future teams in mind?

Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Yet in a radio interview, Coach Geno was talking about how the women's game would look if they had men's rules. He said that Stewie would have left after her freshman season, and KML would have left after her sophomore season. Of course, if all you're going to get is $50k from the WNBA, then why bother? But if you're going to get, say, $100k as a top recruit, and then after the summer, when WCBB would be starting back up, you're taking off for Russia or Turkey or such for half a million bucks, then the situation looks different. If you only have a few years as a pro, do you pass up several hundred thousand dollars to win one more NC for UConn? Do you risk earning nothing if you injure your knee?

If you were the player of the year in the ACC, then you come back and start for a national champion UConn team, what more have you to gain from staying around? A MA, unless it's an MBA, probably won't get you hundreds of thousands of bucks, certainly not your first year out. So kids have to look out for their bodies and their careers.

Of course, I don't know what Z will do. But a head coach has to plan for the future. He's got to think that this is a serious possibility. And he has to recruit with that in mind. So does he go really hard for post players? Does he cast the net wide with the 18/19 and future teams in mind?

Just sayin'.

Your "just saying" I agree with most of it-- Geno has already got Collier (the other Collier) and i'll bet he has tapped a few bigs in preparation of making offers--let them know he has interest--
All the risks are big risk towards a career--the thing is today these kids can play at the WNBA to be visible to Europe or China--and start making big (women's big) money. If they were men 10,000,000 or more contracts--yes some
as low as 400k.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom