Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds?

Reaction Score
You don't think CCollier will be ready to play as a freshman?
Did I say that? Since she's already committed I included her as already part of that team. I was commenting on other possible additions.

Reaction Score
Took the word out of my mouth and then some. Don't look to far ahead sports fans. Revel in what Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa and a whole lot of great kids are giving us every day NOW. We have 5months every year to torture the questions of next season ... and we always do, to a fault.
I'm capable of doing both.;)

Reaction Score
I love how people post things here like they know things. So where is the info that Stevens is leaving after next year? Where is your crystal ball and have you bought a powerball ticket? Why would you even venture a guess like that? That is like saying that Butler is leaving this year because it is her actual senior year.

Reaction Score
I think people are making too much of Tuck "leaving early". That had as much to do with issues specific to Morgan (getting drafted high without the knee being a huge concern) and to her class (going out with Stewie and Mo) as anything else. I think Z stays: Geno has already talked about her lack of conditioning and I think she will try to maximize her development over 3 years at UConn. It's not like she chose UConn, got injured, took a redshirt, and then "went pro early".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect Geno and Azura had a serious discussion about whether she was going to stick around for two years or three, and I suspect she told him she was down for three years (two playing) before Geno agreed to the transfer, great talent not withstanding. He doesn't like Juco transfers for the same reason. Whatever was said is not binding, but I think it is far from a foregone conclusion that Stevens leaves after next year - she wanted to train and be coached by the best, and why cut it short - she will still be learning things. It is a very different situation from Morgan's - she had been in the program for four years, and had a ticking time bomb with her knees.

I think it is more likely that after Camara has been on campus for three years she decides to leave at the same time as Stevens. Come in together, leave together.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of the line-up and prospects for the 18/19 season. Butler won't be there. It's highly likely that Azura won't be there, taking advantage of a great 17/18 season to go pro. Gabby won't be there, having graduated. Saniya is leaving at the end of this year.

So what is the front court? We have KLS. We have (?) Camara for one more year? Napheesa is there. And Charli Collier and Megan Walker.

And a slew of guards.

So

KLS
Napheesa
Walker
Charli
Crystal

And Camara coming off the bench for the front court. Is that about right? Are we again going to be thin in rebounding?

You have got to be kidding starting this thread. You have got to be kidding.

1-- None of us know a thing about what Az will do.
2-- Having Camara and NCollier - and "we're thin?"
3-- You know for a fact Lou won't be much of a rebounder in her sr year?
4-- How many minutes do you think CCollier is going to be relied upon in big games as a frosh?
5-- What about the other positions -- such a Meg Walker - she is 6'0 or 6'1 will ve the "soph" jump in improvement along with her appearing to being a super athlete unless you are suggesting only big girls could rebound?
6-- What about Lexi? She'll ahev the soph jump too and looks like a rugged player whether it be sf or pf.
7-- And we're not done recruiting, are we?

You've got be kidding with this thread. I can only think some fans from other teams/ sites will take the thread and pass it on to laugh at what many UCONN fans are worried about two years from now -- "rebounding." The thing is - you can win while getting your butt whipped on the glass.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Where is your crystal ball
Right here baby, right here.

8933842.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do think that it is way too early to discuss 2018-2019, but I would point out that there was some indication that Geno only accepted Z as a transfer with the understanding that she would be around for 3 years (redshirt +2).

She said, very early after accepting, that she wanted everything that UConn could offer her in her 2 years of remaining eligibility.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She said, very early after accepting, that she wanted everything that UConn could offer her in her 2 years of remaining eligibility.

Tried to edit, but ran out of time. Wanted to add:

"It's all about my player development," Stevens said. "Just getting the most out of the four years that I had and didn't see that happening at Duke, personally for myself. It might be a great program for other students and players, but it wasn't what I was looking for."

Stevens, Camara Must Sit A Year, But UConn Women's Practices Should Be Awesome

I guess the half full glass folks can read that one way, but I think she's talking 4 years of eligibility. As UcM said, it would be highly likely that direct discussions of this topic occurred between Geno and Azura . But anything can happen.

JS

Reaction Score
This is a fine thread, well titled. Why come here and post if you are not interested or disapprove?

It's a dumb thread, but it's what we do. :(

Agree with both, to the extent of the laissez faire sentiment.

Fine versus dumb, of course, is in the eyes of the beholder. Many of us are too dumb to know the difference.

In general, would just comment that when people post on-topic and within the rules, those who want to participate can do so and those who don't can pass on by.

Posting in the thread only to disapprove of the choice of topic is the real waste of band space -- goes against our purpose to encourage people to speak up.

Reminds me, however, of the biggest full-class laugh I remember from my junior high years.

In math class, this guy, I'll call him Dave (since that was his name), raised his hand, then pulled it back down.

Mr. Dippel (we called him variations of "Dip" of course), said "Yes Dave?"

Dave: "Never mind. It was a stupid question."

Dip: "No, no, ask it. You should never feel that way."

So Dave asked.

Long pause, then . . .

Dip: "That IS a stupid question."

Reaction Score
Trying to redirect a little here....

so, we really don't know Z's intentions. Probably she wasn't sure of them herself when she made the momentous decision to transfer and therefore sit out a year. May not even know them now, after adjusting to life at UConn and wondering how well she'll play next year. May not even know them until April next year (Morgan was torn in her decision until just before the draft, when she announced she was going pro).

And we don't know Geno's thoughts when he accepted Z's transfer. But surely he hoped it'd be for 2 years, since one-and-done is somewhat disruptive to the team. OTOH, he might have thought that even one year of Z would solve some of his immediate problems while he recruited Charli and other bigs. Also otherwise she likely goes to South Carolina and how good would they have been then?

But after Z committed, Batouly also wanted to transfer, giving UConn some good rebounding strength for 3 years (assuming she wants to stay all 3).
And THEN, Megan declared for UConn; not height but more supreme talent
And THEN the current team showed up hugely, hugely better than he anticipated and played bigger than anyone thought it could.

None of this gives clarity about Geno's hopes for Z's staying 2 years or being more stoic if she stays only 1. Just to say that WCBB, with all the transfers, has become quite fluid, with so many contingencies. The last thing we do know is about 6 weeks ago when Geno predicted that Z would be POY if she stayed 2 years. That's clearly still his hope. Everything else is not only speculation, but mere guesses, because Z's own feelings are going to evolve over the course of next year.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Stevens leaves after 1 year for the WNBA. It simply is not financially rewarding enough to do so. IMHO staying and working towards a Master's will be far more financially beneficial in the long run.
That's really not the case. Depending on how good she is, a year's worth of WNBA pay, overseas pay, and endorsements is worth anywhere from a hundred thousand to several hundred thousand dollars. The cost of a year in the UConn master's program is considerably less. This is the reason that Lloyd, Parker, and others have left when they still had eligibility remaining. Who knows what decision she will/should make, but it's just a matter of finances, the answer is clear.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Trying to redirect a little here....

so, we really don't know Z's intentions. Probably she wasn't sure of them herself when she made the momentous decision to transfer and therefore sit out a year. May not even know them now, after adjusting to life at UConn and wondering how well she'll play next year. May not even know them until April next year (Morgan was torn in her decision until just before the draft, when she announced she was going pro).

And we don't know Geno's thoughts when he accepted Z's transfer. But surely he hoped it'd be for 2 years, since one-and-done is somewhat disruptive to the team. OTOH, he might have thought that even one year of Z would solve some of his immediate problems while he recruited Charli and other bigs. Also otherwise she likely goes to South Carolina and how good would they have been then?

But after Z committed, Batouly also wanted to transfer, giving UConn some good rebounding strength for 3 years (assuming she wants to stay all 3).
And THEN, Megan declared for UConn; not height but more supreme talent
And THEN the current team showed up hugely, hugely better than he anticipated and played bigger than anyone thought it could.

None of this gives clarity about Geno's hopes for Z's staying 2 years or being more stoic if she stays only 1. Just to say that WCBB, with all the transfers, has become quite fluid, with so many contingencies. The last thing we do know is about 6 weeks ago when Geno predicted that Z would be POY if she stayed 2 years. That's clearly still his hope. Everything else is not only speculation, but mere guesses, because Z's own feelings are going to evolve over the course of next year.
Agree with everything you say, but surely when Z visited Storrs, before Geno officially offered her a scholarship and Z decided to accept, there must have been a discussion between the two concerning her long term plans: What were her goals? What did she expect from UConn? How long did she plan to be here?

Like everyone Geno has on scholarship, Z is an intelligent, poised young lady. Geno and his staff did their homework on Z before they agreed to offer her a scholarship. I have to believe there is an understanding between Z & Geno on how many years she will be in Storrs, and while it may not be absolute, I suspect that it is the intention of both individuals to follow through on their understanding.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you say, but surely when Z visited Storrs, before Geno officially offered her a scholarship and Z decided to accept, there must have been a discussion between the two concerning her long term plans: What were her goals? What did she expect from UConn? How long did she plan to be here?

Like everyone Geno has on scholarship, Z is an intelligent, poised young lady. Geno and his staff did their homework on Z before they agreed to offer her a scholarship. I have to believe there is an understanding between Z & Geno on how many years she will be in Storrs, and while it may not be absolute, I suspect that it is the intention of both individuals to follow through on their understanding.
Agree completely with you, oldude and with your statement that "it may not be absolute." The fact that recently Geno needed to say publicly that she would be POY if she stayed 2 years suggests that the understanding isn't completely understood :)

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with thinking about the future while enjoying the present.....that's half the fun of it......UConn is hoping to entice at least one the these front court recruits from each class.. 2018 - Olivia Nelson Ododa, Nylyssa Smith, Shakira Austin, 2019 - Aliyah Boston, Sam Brunelle

You're right. We're interested in recruiting, and the look of our teams going forward. As you quite rightly point out, "thinking about the future while enjoying the present" is quite enjoyable!

Thank you!

Reaction Score
Agree with both, to the extent of the laissez faire sentiment.

Fine versus dumb, of course, is in the eyes of the beholder. Many of us are too dumb to know the difference.

In general, would just comment that when people post on-topic and within the rules, those who want to participate can do so and those who don't can pass on by.

Posting in the thread only to disapprove of the choice of topic is the real waste of band space -- goes against our purpose to encourage people to speak up.

Reminds me, however, of the biggest full-class laugh I remember from my junior high years.

In math class, this guy, I'll call him Dave (since that was his name), raised his hand, then pulled it back down.

Mr. Dippel (we called him variations of "Dip" of course), said "Yes Dave?"

Dave: "Never mind. It was a stupid question."

Dip: "No, no, ask it. You should never feel that way."

So Dave asked.

Long pause, then . . .

Dip: "That IS a stupid question."

Thank you. Some might not like to consider our future line-up, but lots of people here are intensely interested in the future, which is closely linked to recruiting. I see lots of comments and threads about 2018 and 2019 recruits, and who UConn is targeting. Seems to me that there is a common-sense link between who we're trying to entice to Connecticut and what our team will look like going forward. We know what the team will look like next year. But not after that.

So just posing the question of who will be here (a major star waiting in the wings may or may not be here then), we'll have lost our big defensive spark plug (Gabby) by then. So looking to the future is part of the fun.

And if some don't want to muse about the future, they can sit quietly by without engaging.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The last thing we do know is about 6 weeks ago when Geno predicted that Z would be POY if she stayed 2 years

I suspected that at the time he made that the statement there was only one important listener he had in mind. :)

Reaction Score
That's really not the case. Depending on how good she is, a year's worth of WNBA pay, overseas pay, and endorsements is worth anywhere from a hundred thousand to several hundred thousand dollars. The cost of a year in the UConn master's program is considerably less. This is the reason that Lloyd, Parker, and others have left when they still had eligibility remaining. Who knows what decision she will/should make, but it's just a matter of finances, the answer is clear.

She will also earn a lot more money after her basketball career is over with a master's degree. That is why I said "in the long run".

Reaction Score
She will also earn a lot more money after her basketball career is over with a master's degree. That is why I said "in the long run".
Easy enough to go back for your degree after her career is over and the opportunity cost of getting it isn't hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of the line-up and prospects for the 18/19 season. Butler won't be there. It's highly likely that Azura won't be there, taking advantage of a great 17/18 season to go pro. Gabby won't be there, having graduated. Saniya is leaving at the end of this year.

So what is the front court? We have KLS. We have (?) Camara for one more year? Napheesa is there. And Charli Collier and Megan Walker.

And a slew of guards.

So

KLS
Napheesa
Walker
Charli
Crystal

And Camara coming off the bench for the front court. Is that about right? Are we again going to be thin in rebounding?
As much as I like Kia Nurse and knowing the importance of her on this team--I too forget her when enumerating those on this team. Gabby and Kia will graduate together--unless something unforeseeable occurs. Also, I suspect Azura will like winning NC's so much --she'll hang around as long as possible, which may up her Wnba Rating (if such a thing is possible)???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom