Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds? | The Boneyard

Is Speculating on 2018/19 Season Out of Bounds?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of the line-up and prospects for the 18/19 season. Butler won't be there. It's highly likely that Azura won't be there, taking advantage of a great 17/18 season to go pro. Gabby won't be there, having graduated. Saniya is leaving at the end of this year.

So what is the front court? We have KLS. We have (?) Camara for one more year? Napheesa is there. And Charli Collier and Megan Walker.

And a slew of guards.

So

KLS
Napheesa
Walker
Charli
Crystal

And Camara coming off the bench for the front court. Is that about right? Are we again going to be thin in rebounding?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm thinking of the line-up and prospects for the 18/19 season. Butler won't be there. It's highly likely that Azura won't be there, taking advantage of a great 17/18 season to go pro. Gabby won't be there, having graduated. Saniya is leaving at the end of this year.

So what is the front court? We have KLS. We have (?) Camara for one more year? Napheesa is there. And Charli Collier and Megan Walker.

And a slew of guards.

So

KLS
Napheesa
Walker
Charli
Crystal

And Camara coming off the bench for the front court. Is that about right? Are we again going to be thin in rebounding?
Seriously??? Jan 18, 2017 in the midst of 92 game streak, you want to post Nov 2018-March 2019 speculation? FF, my advice is to enjoy the ride, you seem to be missing out....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No I don't think that's about right and that team is not going to be "thin" anywhere.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Stevens leaves after 1 year for the WNBA. It simply is not financially rewarding enough to do so. IMHO staying and working towards a Master's will be far more financially beneficial in the long run.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Stevens leaves after 1 year for the WNBA. It simply is not financially rewarding enough to do so. IMHO staying and working towards a Master's will be far more financially beneficial in the long run.

Of course, there's Europe, which would be worth bailing for. Hundreds of thousands a year for top talent, and Azura should be in that category after two years' training at UConn, and one year starring on the court.

So we need post players for the 2018 and 2019 class. Again.

Reaction Score
Seriously??? Jan 18, 2017 in the midst of 92 game streak, you want to post Nov 2018-March 2019 speculation? FF, my advice is to enjoy the ride, you seem to be missing out....

Nothing wrong with thinking about the future while enjoying the present.....that's half the fun of it................UConn is hoping to entice at least one the these front court recruits from each class....... 2018 - Olivia Nelson Ododa, Nylyssa Smith, Shakira Austin, 2019 - Aliyah Boston, Sam Brunelle

Reaction Score

And a slew of guards.

So

KLS
Napheesa
Walker
Charli
Crystal

Rebounding could be fine if Auriemma can bring in Nelson-Ododa or Nalyssa Smith. The way they're developing they should be ready to play as freshmen.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with thinking about the future while enjoying the present.....that's half the fun of it......UConn is hoping to entice at least one the these front court recruits from each class.. 2018 - Olivia Nelson Ododa, Nylyssa Smith, Shakira Austin, 2019 - Aliyah Boston, Sam Brunelle
In that case if we want to think about future- who is going to replace Geno and CD? That is significantly more important than if we have any bigs on the team in 2 years as this years evidence shows "Bigs?, We don't need no stinking bigs!"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I boldly predicted (and still stand by it) that there is zero chance that Gabby would NOT start next season. I will also boldly predict that there is a miniscule 1% chance that Azura jumps to the WNBA after only 1 year officially playing at UCONN. I don't believe Geno thinks so either. He said something along the lines of "when she graduates after playing for 2 years, she will be one of the top contenders for NPOY".

Of course anything can happen. She could tire of college. Decide the $ in Europe is too good to pass up. Have injuries similar to Tuck's situation and decide that it's better to play in the pros now, since her long term hoops prospects are diminished. BUT... I very strongly believe she will come back for her "senior" year.

Having said that, assuming she come back...

SR: Collier, Samuelson, Stevens (probably 1,2 and 3 in the draft)
JR: Danger, Camara, Bent, Irwin
SO: Walker, Coombs, Gordon, Espinosa
FR: Collier, ???, ???

PG - Danger
Guards - Bent, Espinosa, Coombs
Wings - Samuelson, Stevens, Walker, Gordon
Forwards/Post - Collier (Napheesa), Camara, Irwin, Collier (Charlie)

I think we land at least 1 more from 2018 - hopefully Williams and then a forward/post player. Another sick team (like next year's team). WCBB watch out!

Reaction Score
Of course, there's Europe, which would be worth bailing for. Hundreds of thousands a year for top talent, and Azura should be in that category after two years' training at UConn, and one year starring on the court.

So we need post players for the 2018 and 2019 class. Again.

No they don't. They will have Collier, Stevens, C Collier, Camara, and Irwin

Reaction Score
Rebounding could be fine if Auriemma can bring in Nelson-Ododa or Nalyssa Smith. The way they're developing they should be ready to play as freshmen.

You don't think CCollier will be ready to play as a freshman?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If UCONN wins NC's in '17 and '18, everybody else might just quit. :cool:

Haha. If we win 2 more NC's, I think the NCAA will split our team (14 players) into two 7 player teams.

Team #1 coached by Geno and Marissa
Team #2 coached by CD and Shea

Probably, both teams get to the NC game. :p:p:p:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
You don't think CCollier will be ready to play as a freshman?

You know the old adage...........it takes post players longer to develop then the other position players.........I'd say point guards take longer to develop in college but it certainly applies through high school and often applies in college too

Reaction Score
I think we land at least 1 more from 2018 - hopefully Williams and then a forward/post player. Another sick team (like next year's team). WCBB watch out![/QUOTE]

Perhaps it depends how much she plays from the start...........if she has a POY type season I could see her making the jump, otherwise I would expect her to stay and fine tune her game........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Took the word out of my mouth and then some. Don't look to far ahead sports fans. Revel in what Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa and a whole lot of great kids are giving us every day NOW. We have 5months every year to torture the questions of next season ... and we always do, to a fault.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do think that it is way too early to discuss 2018-2019, but I would point out that there was some indication that Geno only accepted Z as a transfer with the understanding that she would be around for 3 years (redshirt +2).

Reaction Score
I do think that it is way too early to discuss 2018-2019, but I would point out that there was some indication that Geno only accepted Z as a transfer with the understanding that she would be around for 3 years (redshirt +2).

Is that true? Was that reported somewhere? Did they have some sort of agreement that Z would remain the full two years? I didn't read that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is that true? Was that reported somewhere? Did they have some sort of agreement that Z would remain the full two years? I didn't read that.
I'm sure that I read it somewhere. It may have been nothing more than BY speculation, but the element that made absolute sense to me is that Geno would be reluctant to essentially offer a 2-yr scholarship to a player for only 1 yr on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom