Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Reminds me, I don't seem to see BC hosting the Florida schools in November although they do host the mid Atlantic ones.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While the hate comes thru loud and clear, it does have to at least be based on some reality for the hate... and there's plenty to hitch your wagon too if thats your thing re. coming up with a reason to hate BC... but football fan interest comparison shouldn't be one to hitch your wagon too, it seems to me... not when BC had a larger home attendance at its football games last season than Uconn football did. If you're telling me that " no one in Mass cares about BC Football " then what does it say about Uconn football, when BC football attendence ( not where it tneeds to be by any stretch ) was still higher last season than for that for Uconn football. Look, I don't make the specious and ridiculous claim that " nobody cares about Uconn football in Connecticut " ( clearly untrue as well ), so lets not state an equally ridiculous claim re. BC football interest in a state I've lived in for a lot of years and would tend to know the level of football interest in the state pretty well,... good, bad, or indifferent regarding it.
Being a coward has it costs. Back in the day, BC had one of the premier sports programs in New England. Now it is, at best, the 3rd best basketball program in Massachusetts. Great programs play and defeat all comers. Hiding from people is a short term strategy and it has it costs. BCU fading into obscurity is one of those costs.

Reaction Score
IMG_5633-1.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Back on topic. Would you rather your most distant road trips be in Miami or Minnesota?
If both conferences were equally stable, I would prefer the ACC. I'm not the only one on this board that feels that way. If we get an invite to either conference you can be assured two things - there will be 1000 posts talking about how excited we are to be in conference X and 1000 posts about why UConn should have held out for an invite to conference Y.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Like I said, that is part of the reason ND wants nothing to do with the Big Ten. So, I understand the sentiment.
Finally an ND fan gets it and is willing to admit to it. Now that being said, the difference between ND and UConn is their ability to go independent and our need to be a part of a P5 conference. So, if the ACC now asked us to join, I would be very cautious, I would want to know why up front. Therefore UConn would have to spin this in a very positive way for their fans. ...And I suspect many of us would like being in a P5 but unhappy at the level of stability. Either the ACC or the Big 12 or both will implode and either one of them survives or a new conference is created from the best of those pieces that are left. SO if we are invited, sure, I'll be happy to play those teams that supported and a win at all cost against those that went for our jugular - like BC!

Reaction Score
And what do they(admin's) have in common (NC/RU/NJ)?.JD. With the fans its a different story. I was under the impression NC was loaded with NY/NJ metro kids?

Nicky, just my own POV...

In spite of our academic screwups...which are too many for me to even fathom at this point...the Carolina administration see the University as similar to B1G schools in their commitment to balance athletics and acadmics. They see Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, etc, as peer institutions. Even though all of the B1G schools, save NW, are much larger schools, attendance-wise.

You can all now laugh at the academic part. ;)

That is the same reasoning the TR schools, UVA, and, UMD used with regards to UConn. The balance between the two.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the pissing match between FSU and Tobacco Road before all this went down. A BOT member at FSU called out Tobacco Road for hoarding bball 3rd tier rights while selling football 3rd tier rights down the river.

And, that former FSU BOT member, Andy haggard, was shown to have been 100 percent incorrect when he spoke. TR had done nothing of the sort. He was too busy listening to message board nonsense, rather than taking the time to actually find out the truth of the matter.

FSU was in a public skirmish with Tobacco Road in the summer prior to Maryland announcing its intention to leave. And that was the backdrop when FSU sussed out that UConn was already "penned in" (to quote Louisville's AD) and decided to use some white-out and use its muscle.

That is spot on.

Reaction Score
I guess he is implying the B1G is and will be academically superior to the ACC.

Thats always been the implication. So what?

The ACC held its nose when it added UL. Again, so what? Nebraska, while probably more well-thought of than Louisville, is certainly not some academic bellwether of the great plains. Do not forget, the B1G decided to sidestep their so-called 'requirement' that any new member be an AAU institution, to bring them in.

Yet, the ACC is the one getting ripped for altering its membership requirements.

And, some fans keep banging on about how much more money the B1G will be making than the ACC. Thats always been the case, too. How much has it helped them on the gridiron and the hardwood?

Reaction Score

The ACC held its nose when it added UL. Again, so what? Nebraska, while probably more well-thought of than Louisville, is certainly not some academic bellwether of the great plains. Do not forget, the B1G decided to sidestep their so-called 'requirement' that any new member be an AAU institution, to bring them in.

Yet, the ACC is the one getting ripped for altering its membership requirements.

And, some fans keep banging on about how much more money the B1G will be making than the ACC. Thats always been the case, too. How much has it helped them on the gridiron and the hardwood?
Z Z Z Z Z Z

Reaction Score

not really SC Nebraska only lost it(AAU) after being in the B1G about 11 monthes IIR? UMich voted with 1 or 2 other B1G schools nay on UN even though they were now conference brothers i think?

Reaction Score
not really SC Nebraska only lost it(AAU) after being in the B1G about 11 monthes IIR? UMich voted with 1 or 2 other B1G schools nay on UN even though they were now conference brothers i think?

Before Nebraska was added to the B1G, Michigan and Nebraska were at work rigging their ouster from the AAU.

Reaction Score
Finally an ND fan gets it and is willing to admit to it. Now that being said, the difference between ND and UConn is their ability to go independent and our need to be a part of a P5 conference. So, if the ACC now asked us to join, I would be very cautious, I would want to know why up front. Therefore UConn would have to spin this in a very positive way for their fans. ...And I suspect many of us would like being in a P5 but unhappy at the level of stability. Either the ACC or the Big 12 or both will implode and either one of them survives or a new conference is created from the best of those pieces that are left. SO if we are invited, sure, I'll be happy to play those teams that supported and a win at all cost against those that went for our jugular - like BC!

I have been saying this for a while now. Even though the Michigan/Big 10 slights were a while back, ND people will never forget them and will dislike the Big Ten forever.

If the anti-ACC animus of UConn fans is deep and real (and I believe it is), then UConn fans should understand the deep dislike by ND of the Big Ten.

Factor that in whenever you hear someone say "ND is a natural fit in the Big Ten". That conference is the last choice and worst case scenario for ND. It doesn't matter if "local rivals" are there, or reduced travel costs or even a lot more TV money were available there.

I say that even if full membership in the ACC or Big Ten were the only choices. I strongly believe that ND would choose the ACC, even for less cash. Not many ND fans, alumni or administrators want ND to join the Big Ten, no matter what.

ND turned down the Big Ten in 1999 and rejected Jim Delany's "overtures" after 2010 (full court press or alleged "checkmate"---read the sports "journalists" then anointing Jim Delany as the "smartest man in sports" because they thought he had "checkmated" ND into joining because of the BTN revenues).

ND has completely cast its lot with the ACC, including the exit fee, GOR and the contract that requires ND to join the ACC if it decides to join a football conference before 2027.

That was a complete, total and hopefully final rejection by ND of the Big Ten. I think the latter finally got the message and has since moved on, hopefully.

ND is not going to join the Big Ten.

It would be like the Americans surrendering to the Japanese at Bataan. It would be an ultimate defeat and a total surrender for ND, the last possible choice, a true gun to the head option for ND to ever agree to join that conference. No other options would have to exist for that to ever remotely happen.

So, I totally understand the reluctance and distaste of UConn fans who want nothing to do with the ACC.

(I still want UConn to join, but mainly because of my dislike for the Big Ten. I don't want them to expand).

But, I certainly get that the feeling of many UConn fans understandibly is "screw the ACC" and that they much prefer the Big Ten unless the ACC is the only way out of the AAC.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If the anti-ACC animus of UConn fans is deep and real (and I believe it is), then UConn fans should understand the deep dislike by ND of the Big Ten.
It comes and goes. We would conditionally love the ACC if they picked us over UL. Same went for the Cuse/Pitt round and BC, VT/UM before that. If they throw us a life raft, we'll love them again. Until that day, as far as we're concerned the teams in that conference want us to fail - we are highly successful and we are the enemy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Your last sentence is the most important in all this money talk. Not merely the typical idiot fan but sports journalists get all giddy talking about how rich the BeeOneGee will be, richer than anybody, and then we'll see it win all time.

The BeeOneGee has been the wealthiest conference in the country since it was founded. If you are the wealthiest conference for 100 consecutive years, and all that money has not made you the king of either revenue sport, all that money, decade after decade, has not kept your revenue sports from being high middling (basketball) or boringly bland middling (football), then why would extra TV money from NYC and DC cable rates suddenly make you king of the hill?

The BeeOneGee will remain the richest and most bloated, with strings of flops on the national stage.

Reaction Score
I have been saying this for a while now. Even though the Michigan/Big 10 slights were a while back, ND people will never forget them and will dislike the Big Ten forever.

Factor that in whenever you hear someone say "ND is a natural fit in the Big Ten". That conference is the last choice and worst case scenario for ND. It doesn't matter if "local rivals" are there, or reduced travel costs or even a lot more TV money were available there.

I say that even if full membership in the ACC or Big Ten were the only choices. I strongly believe that ND would choose the ACC, even for less cash. Not many ND fans, alumni or administrators want ND to join the Big Ten, no matter what.

ND turned down the Big Ten in 1999 and rejected Jim Delany's "overtures" after 2010 (full court press or alleged "checkmate"---read the sports "journalists" then anointing Jim Delany as the "smartest man in sports" because they thought he had "checkmated" ND into joining because of the BTN revenues).

ND has completely cast its lot with the ACC, including the exit fee, GOR and the contract that requires ND to join the ACC if it decides to join a football conference before 2027.

That was a complete, total and hopefully final rejection by ND of the Big Ten. I think the latter finally got the message and has since moved on, hopefully.

It would be like the Americans surrendering to the Japanese at Bataan. It would be an ultimate defeat and a total surrender for ND, the last possible choice, a true gun to the head option for ND to ever agree to join that conference. No other options would have to exist for that to ever remotely happen.

So, I totally understand the reluctance and distaste of UConn fans who want nothing to do with the ACC.

(I still want UConn to join, but mainly because of my dislike for the Big Ten. I don't want them to expand).

But, I certainly get that the feeling of many UConn fans is "screw the ACC" and that they much prefer the Big Ten unless the ACC is the only way out of the AAC.
Everybody who thinks about where and with whom ND belongs should read this.

Out lot is with the ACC, permanently. And part of that is our confidence that the ACC is never going to try to force us to become a full member of ACC football.

The one thing I have trouble with is your basically equating our desire to remain free and clear of the BT with UConn fan hatred of the ACC. The most powerful AD in the BT led a powerful campaign to have BT teams boycott ND. It was so successful that our entire scheduling strategy had to change. The calls to boycott ND were open and common for decades, right into the Ara Parseghian era.

Nothing comparable has happened with the ACC and UConn. The closest is BC not wanting to play UConn, and that is because of the UConn lawsuits.

Reaction Score
There are certainly parallels. You've asserted that the Big Ten took action to shut out ND and undermine its growth in terms of stature and revenue. Many view ACC past actions as well as the P5 power grab as having the same impact.

Reaction Score
Being a coward has it costs. Back in the day, BC had one of the premier sports programs in New England. Now it is, at best, the 3rd best basketball program in Massachusetts. Great programs play and defeat all comers. Hiding from people is a short term strategy and it has it costs. BCU fading into obscurity is one of those costs.
Maybe BC fades into " obscurity". in football in the future, and then again, maybe it won't. BC went to a Bowl Game last year while it was in transition under its its new 1st year head football coach.. and was even with eventual football National Champion FSU into the 4th quarter before FSU ultimately prevailed., and had its RB make the Heisman Finalist selection round for the national TV telecast Awards in NYC... and its 2013 football recruiting from all reports is up over anything seen from its last 5 years. So I'm quite not sure how you arrive at your assessment that BC football is " fading into obscurity". Thats an overblown assessment that has your hate clouding your thinking perhaps ,... but then again, everyone of course is entitled to their own assessments on what they observe as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You should spoiler tag this. I actually like the fan fic that puts us in the BUG

Reaction Score
if the ACC now asked us to join, I would be very cautious, I would want to know why up front. Therefore UConn would have to spin this in a very positive way for their fans. ..

if the ACC senses that Uconn football is going to put the ACC thru an inquisition as to why it is inviting them, and the school is going to be under the heat of its fans to explain why it should leave the AAC for the ACC, then this will present Uconn the school some problems on deciding how to proceed if they get the invite. Why would an ACC invite need convincing if the payout in 22 -25 million, and right now the AAC payout is 2 mlliion ? If you had a company that wants to up your current income that your current employer is paying you by 10 fold, do you need " convincing to spin this in a very positive way for you " " as to why you should give up your current employer ? Say you are making 100,000 per year, and a another company wants to pay you 1 million per year, how " cautious " are you really going to be ? Are you going to tell them... " let me think about it ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if the ACC senses that Uconn football is going to put the ACC thru an inquisition as to why it is inviting them, and the school is going to be under the heat of its fans to explain why it should leave the AAC for the ACC, then this will present Uconn the school some problems on deciding how to proceed if they get the invite. Why would an ACC invite need convincing if the payout in 22 -25 million, and right now the AAC payout is 2 mlliion ? If you had a company that wants to up your current income that your current employer is paying you by 10 fold, do you need " convincing to spin this in a very positive way for you " " as to why you should give up your current employer ? Say you are making 100,000 per year, and a another company wants to pay you 1 million per year, how " cautious " are you really going to be ? Are you going to tell them... " let me think about it ?
It doesn't but if we don't ask them, why are you inviting us now when we were rejected several times before, then how would we know what it is that is now working and making us so attractive? How would we know what to do to continue to make ourselves attractive not only to the ACC but to a P5. My cautious attitude comes from the stability of Big East 2.0 - meaning the ACC not the C-7! ...And they don't need to convince us to join, that is pretty simple, the invite alone will do that - but certainly we would want to know why we are attractive to them now??? I don't think this would be bad, in fact it lets them know that we are not going to let our guard down, our productive nature slip, or our competitive nature go by the way side. However, we would want to concentrate our efforts on what made us look good so we can make ourselves even more attractive to their conference and other P5 conferences in the future. Being in, staying in, but being the most appealing university within their collection of schools is what UConn I suspect would want to drive to!

To clarify, they rejected us and suddenly we get an invite. Why would we not ask, why now? And do the asking in a constructive way like you were on a job interview. In the meantime, they should certainly have volunteered for your information why you are attractive to them. You listen to their reasons and hope it aligns with any relevant changes to your resume since the last time you interviewed. If you cannot find the synergies, then you need to be tactful on how you can glean this information from them. When they ask if you have any additional questions, you might want to raise the point of things you heard. I.E. is the ACC looking to get its own network from a network such as ESPN? Would tier three rights be affected? Knowing all this you may now have an answer as to why you were attractive? ...and it could be something else?

Please take the following with tongue and cheek
Don't assume that as a Fan speaking on a Blog, that I wouldn't know tact? Come on, Man! I am a fan, and as such I can say whatever I want but sure, if my speech was suddenly going to have an impact on the ACC inviting UConn, I would use a lot more decorum and would not be visiting this message board. Do you see SG or WM or KV or GA visiting here? If I thought my voice was the voice that got us in or out of the ACC, one - I would be crazy, two - I would an Arrogant SOB, and three - I would be blocked from board!

Reaction Score
If I thought my voice was the voice that got us in or out of the ACC, one - I would be crazy, two - I would an Arrogant SOB, and three - I would be blocked from board!

Two out of three isn't bad. Nelson has never been blocked.

Reaction Score
I

To clarify, they rejected us and suddenly we get an invite. Why would we not ask, why now?
!
I suppose it would be the timing. Nobody can go back in time. The question being posed here is a forward thinking question as to whether or not Uconn should need " convincing " should it get a future invite to move from the AAC to the ACC. I think going from a league with a current 2 million dollar payout to one with 22-25 million is sufficient reason alone not to ask to be " convinced " to go to the ACC instead of remaining in the AAC . If the future invite comes, it seems to me that it will be football related and because Uconn will have won the AAC ( or got to the Title game there ), and then it won't need any more " convincing " by the ACC to UConn 's fan base that it needs to be " cautious " as the poster stated above and require" further convincing" that leaving the AAC for the ACC is much better than staying in the AAC and waiting for a better opportunity in another P5 Conference that may or may not materialize later for Uconn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman