Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree with this actually. I 've never met a BC fan in my life that considers Uconn a rival in anything. Football drives the financial bus in college sports, not basketball. Uconn has never beaten BC in football... ever. .
Well they'd pretty much have to play for that happen and BCU seems to have hit on the sole methodology to keep that undefeated streak intact. A cowardly methodology but a one that allows their fans to make that claim. The irony is that the lack of local rival has contributed to no one in Mass caring about BCU football. But the unbeaten streak is intact, Pyrrhic victory that that is.

Reaction Score
For all Pitt and Syracuse's history of playing football, you would think that both schools would not lose repeatedly for a decade to a school that had its full compliment of scholarships for the first time in 2004. This must mean that their football history is not quite as weighty as you think it is. Yale U. also has quite a football history.
And what point do you think you are making?

If Yale were to leave the Ivy League and declare it will play scholarship sports, the ACC would add it in a heartbeat. The reasons would be: the school's endowment and academic rankings and powerful alums, the 61,000 seat Yale Bowl and Yale's now very old football history, and its location.

Football history matters. Stadiums matter. Number of D1 football recruits in the state and in bordering states matter.

Reaction Score
The irony is that the lack of local rival has contributed to no one in Mass caring about BCU football. .

While the hate comes thru loud and clear, it does have to at least be based on some reality for the hate... and there's plenty to hitch your wagon too if thats your thing re. coming up with a reason to hate BC... but football fan interest comparison shouldn't be one to hitch your wagon too, it seems to me... not when BC had a larger home attendance at its football games last season than Uconn football did. If you're telling me that " noone in Mass cares about BC Football " then what does it say about Uconn football, when BC football attendence ( not where it tneeds to be by any stretch ) was still higher last season than for that for Uconn football. Look, I don't make the specious and ridiculous claim that " nobody cares about Uconn football in Connecticut " ( clearly untrue as well ), so lets not state an equally ridiculous claim re. BC football interest in a state I've lived in for a lot of years and would tend to know the level of football interest in the state pretty well,... good, bad, or indifferent regarding it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MSNDfan said:

If Yale were to leave the Ivy League and declare it will play scholarship sports, the ACC would add it in a heartbeat. The reasons would be: the school's endowment and academic rankings and powerful alums, the 61,000 seat Yale Bowl and Yale's now very old football history, and its location.

Football history matters. Stadiums matter. Number of D1 football recruits in the state and in bordering states matter.

That is rich.

Reaction Score

The ACC would add Yale in a heartbeat and Texas wanted Pitt in the B12 to lure ND. Yale's location is apparently a lure too!

Reaction Score

I'd rather see Penn do this than Yale. Again, I like to visit Philly. But Yale would work as well as Princeton. Don't need Harvard. We already have a member in that town. They could try for a B1G invite. Cornell doesn't excite although they have good lacrosse. We play them all the time.

Reaction Score
I wonder if an Ivy League school can say "We're going to be elite in college athletics too" without being expelled and losing her academic reputation.

It's a long off-season.

Reaction Score
I wonder if an Ivy League school can say "We're going to be elite in college athletics too" without being expelled and losing her academic reputation.

It's a long off-season.

Why would an Ivy League school cheapen its degree in such a fashion?

Reaction Score
Thats like a young women saying she is a " quasi- virgin ". And later on, that she is " quasi- pregnant ".
Oh sure. ( lol!)

So then Notre Dame is a full member of the ACC in all sports, including football?

Reaction Score

It's a long off-season.

They could. Duke and Stanford are ranked well ahead of Cornell academically and ahead of Penn. Those schools should get off their high horse and get on the gridiron so somebody can know who they are. Duke went to the Chick Fil A Bowl last year, and Stanford the Rose.

Reaction Score
They could. Duke and Stanford are ranked well ahead of Cornell academically and ahead of Penn. Those schools should get off their high horse and get on the gridiron so somebody can know who they are. Duke went to the Chick Fil A Bowl last year, and Stanford the Rose.
Cornell would be especially interesting in that sense, because it has NY's land grant Ag college.

Reaction Score
Why not? Stanford and Duke are ranked ahead of several of them academically.

Still a cheapening of the degree. There is no incentive for them to do it. Duke maybe needed to do it. U. Pennsylvania doesn't need it, and though U. Penn. is ranked behind Duke in that USNWR rag, I wouldn't put too much stock in that ranking. Give me U. Penn. all day. Stabford certainly doesn't need it either.

Reaction Score
Still a cheapening of the degree. There is no incentive for them to do it. Duke maybe needed to do it. U. Pennsylvania doesn't need it, and though U. Penn. is ranked behind Duke in that USNWR rag, I wouldn't put too much stock in that ranking. Give me U. Penn. all day. Stabford certainly doesn't need it either.
No doubt about it - a Stanford degree is cheapened because Stanford sponsors scholarship sports in the Pac.

And if only Northwestern did not play scholarship sports in the BeeOneGee, its degrees would be worth a great deal.

The Rice and Tulane alums are absolutely thrilled that their schools are no longer tainted by being in major conferences, because now their degrees are not cheapened. And they are trying to get their schools to end all athletics scholarships.

Reaction Score
ACC people, door is over there. Please exit.

Bunch of two-facers. Good luck with Syracuse, BC....and Temple!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thats like a young women saying she is a " quasi- virgin ". And later on, that she is " quasi- pregnant ". ( lol!)

Isn't that a tenant of ND and BCU's belief system?

Reaction Score
Why not? Stanford and Duke are ranked ahead of several of them academically.

Still a cheapening of the degree. There is no incentive for them to do it. Duke maybe needed to do it. U. Pennsylvania doesn't need it, and though U. Penn. is ranked behind Duke in that USNWR rag, I wouldn't put too much stock in that ranking.
No doubt about it - a Stanford degree is cheapened because Stanford sponsors scholarship sports in the Pac.

And if only Northwestern did not play scholarship sports in the BeeOneGee, its degrees would be worth a great deal.

The Rice and Tulane alums are absolutely thrilled that their schools are no longer tainted by being in major conferences, because now their degrees are not cheapened. And they are trying to get their schools to end all athletics scholarships.

Tulane had a huge betting scandal. It dented the school. When Richard Sherman is flipping out in front on 200 million Americans, Stanford is thrilled that he represents them!!

Face reality: there is ZERO incentive for these schools to add sports. Your school may rely on its press to build academics, but there are much better schools out there in the world. in fact, they dominate the USNWR that you guys love so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom