Injuries continuing to pile up for UConn football team | The Boneyard

Injuries continuing to pile up for UConn football team

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's mind-boggling how consistently awful our luck is.

I don't think it's luck. When you recruit the bottom end of the pool, you are dealing with players who don't have the experience of the physical rigors going against top talent in HS, who by definition are bigger, faster, stronger, and have shown they can compete at that level and come through uninjured.

I don't think it has anything to do with S/C on campus. It is also bad luck.

Reaction Score
Plus losing Kevon Jones and Quay Evans before fall camp to other circumstances...

Jones was our best pass rusher. He and Will Knight who was competing for the starting RB job were lost to (academics?) before fall camp. That's definitely one and possibily two starters.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's luck. When you recruit the bottom end of the pool, you are dealing with players who don't have the experience of the physical rigors going against top talent in HS, who by definition are bigger, faster, stronger, and have shown they can compete at that level and come through uninjured.

You don't think it is luck but it is also bad luck?

Reaction Score

A lot of it is luck. UConn athletes train and condition in some of the best facilities in college football. If there was a way to avoid injuries every team would do it.

Besides, the bigger you are the greater the strain athletics is on your body. People are not designed to be 310 pounds. As the Eagles sang, "every point of refuge has its price."

Reaction Score
Bad things happen to bad teams, it’s the law of the universe- like creates like.UConn as an athletic institution has created this. It’s awful that such key players have gone down like this but when you rely on your starters to be healthy, it’s inevitable that they’re going to get hurt. When you cap a team at 105, it’s inevitable that they’re going to struggle with depth when key players go down. This is a fragile organization. This doesn’t happen to teams with depth- it’s funny how they almost always stay healthy with the exception of a couple every season

Reaction Score
Bad things happen to bad teams, it’s the law of the universe- like creates like.UConn as an athletic institution has created this. It’s awful that such key players have gone down like this but when you rely on your starters to be healthy, it’s inevitable that they’re going to get hurt. When you cap a team at 105, it’s inevitable that they’re going to struggle with depth when key players go down. This is a fragile organization. This doesn’t happen to teams with depth- it’s funny how they almost always stay healthy with the exception of a couple every season
No offense but kind of a stupid post. A lot of our veteran playes are undersized and prone to injury playing much bigger more physical players. Most of the players that Coach Mora has brought in are bigger ,more physical athletes and should stand up better to injuries when they are ready to play in the future.

Reaction Score

This is an uninformed opinion. Kaleb Anthony's high school routinely sends kids to P5 schools like Georgia, Clemson, and FSU. Brian Brewton played at St. Thomas Acquinas in Florida. Nigel Fitzgerald is an experienced college player. Keelan Marion's high school had commits to Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, FSU,... McFadden, Ross, Murawski, and Wayburn were not injured in games. Roberson was an experienced college player from Penn St....

During the Utah St. game, Roberson and Marion were injured on plays that really weren't physical plays.

Reaction Score
No offense but kind of a stupid post. A lot of our veteran playes are undersized and prone to injury playing much bigger more physical players. Most of the players that Coach Mora has brought in are bigger ,more physical athletes and should stand up better to injuries when they are ready to play in the future.
Thanks for the critique, no offense taken. And I appreciate your thoughtful word selection, slick. I’ll make sure I reciprocate in the future. I’m still seeing my point within your logic though. A bad organization recruited undersized players and they got hurt. A bad team created a bad scenario, this is not bad luck. An athletic program made bad decisions for their football program, so now bad things have happened. Mora has brought in bigger players, but not enough. Therefore, we’ll continue to struggle until we no longer have to worry when a key player goes down. So my whole argument wasn’t about whether an underdeveloped player can withstand the demands of game time action, it was simply that good teams worry much less about key players going down, and when that happens, key players stay healthy. Michigan couldn’t care less if they lose a first stringer, they just plug in another guy and continue to win. Most of the players on those kinds of rosters end up staying healthy because of the depth. Like creates like.

Reaction Score
We are essentially still an FCS squad playing FBS opponents week in and week out. Something has to give. Most FCS teams may play 1 or maybe 2 FBS opponents in a year. We have already played 4. This doesn't account for all of our injuries but I believe it accounts for some of them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Roberson and Carter would be the two biggest in season losses, obviously.
I'd add Marion to the list considering he was our top WR at that point because we lost Ross during fall camp.

Reaction Score
Unreal maybe we should just have a waiver to allow next years freshmen on this years roster.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for the critique, no offense taken. And I appreciate your thoughtful word selection, slick. I’ll make sure I reciprocate in the future. I’m still seeing my point within your logic though. A bad organization recruited undersized players and they got hurt. A bad team created a bad scenario, this is not bad luck. An athletic program made bad decisions for their football program, so now bad things have happened. Mora has brought in bigger players, but not enough. Therefore, we’ll continue to struggle until we no longer have to worry when a key player goes down. So my whole argument wasn’t about whether an underdeveloped player can withstand the demands of game time action, it was simply that good teams worry much less about key players going down, and when that happens, key players stay healthy. Michigan couldn’t care less if they lose a first stringer, they just plug in another guy and continue to win. Most of the players on those kinds of rosters end up staying healthy because of the depth. Like creates like.
So how do you explain Syracuse losing 2 or 3 defensive starts for the year against Virginia?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
it was simply that good teams worry much less about key players going down, and when that happens, key players stay healthy.
So if I worry less, we'll stay healthier? I now blame all you worriers on the boneyard. It's your fault the injuries are piling up. All of you worriers need to root for and worry about the rotten fruit or BCU so their players can start going down.

but when you rely on your starters to be healthy, it’s inevitable that they’re going to get hurt.
More cosmic harmony. I will no longer rely on any player. I will start relying on my boss to stay healthy. That should get her to the sidelines in no time. Does this apply to other sports or does it cross teams? Can I rely on the opposing quarterback before we play them or does it not work that way?

Reaction Score
I think some fans might take offense to your “bad organization” in conjunction with “A bad team” comments. All you had to do was insert the word “Coach” for organization and team, ie Diaco and FHCRE. It wasn’t and it’s not a bad organization what was bad was two bad hires in a row.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Isn’t each injury an isolated event? You have to look at how each of them happened to figure if you can if size, quality of experience etc have anything obvious to do with it. Plenty of pro football teams have a lot of guys out. Often for the season. It‘s football, ya know. I was always happy my decent athlete son didn’t play hs football, lord knows he got banged up enough playing baseball and hoops.

Reaction Score
So if I worry less, we'll stay healthier? I now blame all you worriers on the boneyard. It's your fault the injuries are piling up. All of you worriers need to root for and worry about the rotten fruit or BCU so their players can start going down.

More cosmic harmony. I will no longer rely on any player. I will start relying on my boss to stay healthy. That should get her to the sidelines in no time. Does this apply to other sports or does it cross teams? Can I rely on the opposing quarterback before we play them or does it not work that way?
Lol now you’re getting it! Alright I concede, my post was stupid. Been listening to too many podcasts with Aaron Rodgers on it. How about this?… When it rains, it sure does pour for our huskies…?

Best of luck with that boss by the way, I have one just like her. And F BCU and the Fruit

On with the topic of convo

Reaction Score

If they've been on campus then they have to have been put through proper strength and conditioning. I don't see the class years of all those players but i doubt many of them are true freshmen.

Yes, other programs will have bigger players and will probably mean our players will get hurt more but this doesn't happen everywhere. I think its just random.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom