If Warde Manuel Leaves | Page 7 | The Boneyard

If Warde Manuel Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On top of that, I can't understand how it's suggested that Geno Auriemma would be a great fit as a permanent athletic director.[/quote]
I agree!
Sure Geno is a great coach and may be a good administrator but he is unproven.
Examining him as a possibility to fill that role at UConn - Makes no sense. He has no experience, sure UConn fans love him (in general) he is well respected as a coach and as womens BB Coach he is as close to "The" Authority on the sport as their exists.
However, for laughs lets assume he felt the need to go the administrator rout, I could see a smaller school giving him a shot. But who takes a different job -unless it is your dream job- but IMO this does not fit the bill, for less money and longer hours??? So IMO this is why it does not make sense.
Its pretty basic logic

Reaction Score
My question is ow long before we get complaints from posters that "if we had an AD as good as Cincy, WM, not Babcock would be interviewing for Va Tech's AD position as we speak".

Incoming.jpg

TomGroeschen6:37pm via TweetDeck
The VaTech press release on BabcockPost original url/1aTddOt #bearcats

Reaction Score
I think this must be the last reply because all that were of value have been said over and over. So here is my last comment: we are dopes. The Courant and its people have watched outlets like the Boneyard erode their fan/reading base and they have resorted to tactics of this kind. It works. It always work. It does so at the expense of journalism (so aptly pointed out by one commentator), the School and the AD. He who posted the story should be flogged. The practice reminds me of that song by Dire Straits about getting on MTV when things are not working out for you-- do it the cheap and easy way; afterall, we are just pigeons-- throw your corn and see how they come flocking. What the hell was that guy thinking when he posted the post of a post-- was it meant for his friends, but he happened to push the wrong button-- plausible (my computer often erase sentences and the cursory jump all over and insert texts where they were not intended- so I know). My question is: is he going to 'man-up' and apologizes to the uconn community, or would that be his stairway to heaven?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I still say that chilling on the beach was poor optics.

Of course it was.

Shocking that so many of the Warde supporters ignore this. I (and the successful people I know who) do business in the 21st century certainly wouldn't be flashing a speedo on a tropical beach while the most important business transaction relating to my organization was going down. "Monitoring" the situation from my office or a remote conference room someplace -- sure.

While "optics" rarely change the course of a business transaction once its found its momentum, to imply that "optics" don't impact negotiations, especially early on, suggests a misunderstanding of business transactions, at least high profile ones.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What baffles me is how so many people who claim to be successful at business believe that if WM flew back to the US, had a conversation or two with Swofford, then went back to Storrs, we would have ended up in the ACC.

Reaction Score
RMoore1999 said:
Of course it was. Shocking that so many of the Warde supporters ignore this. I (and the successful people I know who) do business in the 21st century certainly wouldn't be flashing a speedo on a tropical beach while the most important business transaction relating to my organization was going down. "Monitoring" the situation from my office or a remote conference room someplace -- sure. While "optics" rarely change the course of a business transaction once its found its momentum, to imply that "optics" don't impact negotiations, especially early on, suggests a misunderstanding of business transactions, at least high profile ones.

I think it is bad optics. I just don't think it mattered. Difference between being a supporter and not blaming him for everything.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
What baffles me is how so many people who claim to be successful at business believe that if WM flew back to the US, had a conversation or two with Swofford, then went back to Storrs, we would have ended up in the ACC.

It wouldn't have. But I've had to cancel vacations for optical reasons, even though anything that needed to be done could have been done from the road. He ignored the optics. Which is on him. Which just gives people like freescooter a scapegoat.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Well, I disagree with this. Business deals get done, primarily because the people that are responsible for some kind of transaction or action, know each other, and respect each other...they may even like each other and are friends outside of business..... and either way communicate with each other regularly, or enough in a meaningful fashion that you don't have to do through the secretary's waiting list to have a conversation. Getting business done, does not matter at all if it's done face to face or not. That, I am in complete agreement with BL.

What happens face to face, I think, is the initial meetings and introductions among people with the POTENTIAL to do business. I would hope that by now, Warde Manuel has done all of those meetings and introductions and lunches and dinners with the power players and decision makers in the intercollegiate landscape that matter to us and has established relationships.

The AD at Louisville, at the time, had 16 years of building contacts and relationships regarding the University of Louisville, and it's place in the TV revenue and college football strata. The AD at UCONN, didn't have that much time to build relationships and contacts among the people that were responsible for the decision making on such matters, and probably didn't have much working knowledge of the entire mess , coming from Buffalo via being an assistant at Michigan.....both of those schools, being completely opposite ends of the spectrum, than UCONN or Louisville was at - Michigan, having never any worry at all about their place int eh college football hierarchy, and Buffalo, on the other end, not going to be cashing in the big coin anytime. UCONN and Louisville though - right on the battle lines. These are things that a person like me, with absolutely no inside information can be reasonably sure of. And for me, these things are more than enough to explain why Louisville got an invite to the ACC and UCONN did not.

Or it might just be that he eats too many donuts.

"The AD at UCONN, didn't have that much time to build relationships and contacts among the people that were responsible for the decision making on such matters, and probably didn't have much working knowledge of the entire mess , coming from Buffalo via being an assistant at Michigan..." ---- If this is in fact the case, then serious questions must be asked of the decision to hire Warde in the first place.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
What shocks me is people genuinely believe WM was sitting on the beach and not actually working while there.

Really? I've personally witnessed Warde at a FL beach resort within the last year, and he most certainly wasn't working or networking with business associates. Certainly doesnt mean he wasnt working there when i didnt see him, or that he's not entitled to a vacation with his friends.

ZooCoug or someone else in this thread essentially said it takes "years" to fairly judge someone in the role of AD, and I generally agree with that.

For events occurring under his leadership, I think the re-branding was almost genius -- but for the football helmets, I think they nailed it. Hockey's on an attractive trajectory, and though a practice hasnt yet been held, Diaco feels like a great choice.

I'm disappointed with how Ollie's situation was managed, that Paul was allowed to return in for 2013 and, minimally, with the management of optics and PR relating to realignment.

Time will ultimately tell, but from my view mostly from the outside, I wouldnt be voting for Rock n' Roll HOF induction for Warde anytime soon....

Reaction Score
Really? I've personally witnessed Warde at a FL beach resort within the last year, and he most certainly wasn't working or networking with business associates. Certainly doesnt mean he wasnt working there when i didnt see him, or that he's not entitled to a vacation with his friends.

ZooCoug or someone else in this thread essentially said it takes "years" to fairly judge someone in the role of AD, and I generally agree with that.

For events occurring under his leadership, I think the re-branding was almost genius -- but for the football helmets, I think they nailed it. Hockey's on an attractive trajectory, and though a practice hasnt yet been held, Diaco feels like a great choice.

I'm disappointed with how Ollie's situation was managed, that Paul was allowed to return in for 2013 and, minimally, with the management of optics and PR relating to realignment.

Time will ultimately tell, but from my view mostly from the outside, I wouldnt be voting for Rock n' Roll HOF induction for Warde anytime soon....
I'm specifically talking bout the USVI trip, when this was all happening and certain posters were/are drawing this picture of him sitting pool/beachside with a piña colada while Rome was burning.

Overall I give him a C+ to B- to date, trending towards a B and higher. Being passed over for UL was on his watch, and he has to take some accountability for it, even if the seeds were pretty much sown before he stepped on campus. I loved the rebranding (agree with u on the helmets), hockey upgrade, coaching hires, BB facility getting going, uptick in fundraising, etc... I too wanted P gone after year 2, or at the very least his wallpapering friend to have been shown the door (the latter is what I was more disappointed in WM for, I get needing to give a coach a 3rd years, but GDL should've been a mandated termination of employment, not a suggestion and ultimate demotion in name only). As for the Ollie hire, I think JC put WM in a very unfair situation. It was a calculated move - which is BS, and I don't have a problem with how WM handled it. If JC felt this strongly about KO he should have named him interim coach the years prior when JC was out for health or suspension reasons, just my opinion. I do believe WM and SH did everything they could do during their short tenure to get UConn in the ACC but the votes were going to be against them regardless this past go-round, and that was a result of actions they were not a part of.

I am optimistic of our future and the people we have leading things (Herbst, Manuel, Diaco, Ollie, and Auriema). I am confident when the dust settles we will be in a good place (not this hell we are in now), it just may be a couple years...which sucks.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I'm specifically talking bout the USVI trip, when this was all happening and certain posters were/are drawing this picture of him sitting pool/beachside with a piña colada while Rome was burning.

Overall I give him a C+ to B- to date, trending towards a B and higher. Being passed over for UL was on his watch, and he has to take some accountability for it, even if the seeds were pretty much sown before he stepped on campus. I loved the rebranding (agree with u on the helmets), hockey upgrade, coaching hires, BB facility getting going, uptick in fundraising, etc... I too wanted P gone after year 2, or at the very least his wallpapering friend to have been shown the door (the latter is what I was more disappointed in WM for, I get needing to give a coach a 3rd years, but GDL should've been a mandated termination of employment, not a suggestion and ultimate demotion in name only). As for the Ollie hire, I think JC put WM in a very unfair situation. It was a calculated move - which is BS, and I don't have a problem with how WM handled it. If JC felt this strongly about KO he should have named him interim coach the years prior when JC was out for health or suspension reasons, just my opinion. I do believe WM and SH did everything they could do during their short tenure to get UConn in the ACC but the votes were going to be against them regardless this past go-round, and that was a result of actions they were not a part of.

I am optimistic of our future and the people we have leading things (Herbst, Manuel, Diaco, Ollie, and Auriema). I am confident when the dust settles we will be in a good place (not this hell we are in now), it just may be a couple years...which sucks.

I'm definitely with you on this: "I am confident when the dust settles we will be in a good place (not this hell we are in now), it just may be a couple years...which sucks."

Reaction Score
I think it is bad optics. I just don't think it mattered. Difference between being a supporter and not blaming him for everything.
We will never know. UL tried cock blocking WVU from the Big 12, WVU fought back, HARD. I've stated before, I like what Warde has done since, but Warde vs Jurich in that instance was like six shooter vs a pea shooter. That the Kentucky politician (McConnell?) showed up to session and spiked a football shows how high stakes that whole situation was. Warde and Sue were new to UConn and I suspect they weren't ready for how cut throat the CR thing was. I suspect they will be better prepared next time around. Is it too late? We don't know yet. I don't blame Warde but as others have said, it didn't look good. Why would Jurich be campainging door to door in the ACC "if it didn't matter"?

Reaction Score
We will never know. UL tried rooster blocking WVU from the Big 12, WVU fought back, HARD. I've stated before, I like what Warde has done since, but Warde vs Jurich in that instance was like six shooter vs a pea shooter. That the Kentucky politician (McConnell?) showed up to session and spiked a football shows how high stakes that whole situation was. Warde and Sue were new to UConn and I suspect they weren't ready for how cut throat the CR thing was. I suspect they will be better prepared next time around. Is it too late? We don't know yet. I don't blame Warde but as others have said, it didn't look good. Why would Jurich be campainging door to door in the ACC "if it didn't matter"?

"That Kentucky politician." is the uber-powerful Senate Minority Leader, ranking Republican and a LOU graduate (I believe). He was applying pressure on ACC Presidents, who serve at the pleasure of politicians, through his senate/congressional cronies in DC. He was probably Jurich's first call. He, sure as hell, would have been mine. Of course, SH could have called Blumenthal.:rolleyes:

Jacobs wrote a column after LOU was chosen.The column gave me the impression that, while the odds-on media favorite, UCONN never really had a prayer. BC and Miami, because of the lawsuit, would have picked Bubonic Plague over UCONN. Donna S. would not even return SH's calls. There was actually talk of using JC's "relationship" with Bill Clinton to get to Miami; forgetting, of course, that Shalala had been a cabinet member that trashed Clinton, post-Lewinsky.

As has been discussed, ad nauseum, UNC, Virginia, Wake Forest and Duke were, initially and strongly, pro-UCONN. Others were on the fence. And, Florida State and Clemson were hissy fit, threat level anti UCONN. Advantage: Florida State.

While this was going on, according to Jacobs, WM was, in fact, at a tournament , in a vacation paradise. He was there to entertain Boosters; a class of UCONN asset previously ignored by the AD he replaced. His and the Booster's presence had been scheduled for some time. Again, the reality is that we never had a prayer. It was the media that had us "penciled in." The media didn't have a vote. The media was wrong, again.

Reaction Score
"That Kentucky politician." is the uber-powerful Senate Minority Leader, ranking Republican and a LOU graduate (I believe). He was applying pressure on ACC Presidents, who serve at the pleasure of politicians, through his senate/congressional cronies in DC. He was probably Jurich's first call. He, sure as hell, would have been mine. Of course, SH could have called Blumenthal.:rolleyes:

Jacobs wrote a column after LOU was chosen.The column gave me the impression that, while the odds-on media favorite, UCONN never really had a prayer. BC and Miami, because of the lawsuit, would have picked Bubonic Plague over UCONN. Donna S. would not even return SH's calls. There was actually talk of using JC's "relationship" with Bill Clinton to get to Miami; forgetting, of course, that Shalala had been a cabinet member that trashed Clinton, post-Lewinsky.

As has been discussed, ad nauseum, UNC, Virginia, Wake Forest and Duke were, initially and strongly, pro-UCONN. Others were on the fence. And, Florida State and Clemson were hissy fit, threat level anti UCONN. Advantage: Florida State.

While this was going on, according to Jacobs, WM was, in fact, at a tournament , in a vacation paradise. He was there to entertain Boosters; a class of UCONN asset previously ignored by the AD he replaced. His and the Booster's presence had been scheduled for some time. Again, the reality is that we never had a prayer. It was the media that had us "penciled in." The media didn't have a vote. The media was wrong, again.
Nice summary FT! I would add that I don't think it can be overemphasized how L'ville had their senator as a great ally in this process...and we had the exact opposite...our state's AG, now senator, Blumenthal was a huge anchor to our chances! He led the lawsuit charge against the former BE members, which came back to be, by far, the biggest detriment to our chances of getting approved. Those folks just did not forget the pompous and righteous attitude that he had in pursuing litigation against them. Hopefully the benefits of adding UConn will eventually outweigh all the negative sentiment he managed to create.

Reaction Score

That is good summary, but don't forget McConnell/Louisville tried the same thing against WVU. They hit back with their own politicians getting involved. Again, I think the moment was too big for us at the time. I don't think you will see the same level of perceived passivity if a similar situation arises. The life rafts have to be fought to the death for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Manuel should be fired because someone made up a rumor that he might be looking for a job...

You don't know that the rumor was just made up. I think it was plausable. Manuel's press release was all well and good but I don't believe any of these people anymore. Edsall said he'd be at UConn, "For as long as you will have me." And he was working the phones for a new job right when the team was getting ready for the biggest game in their history.

Reaction Score
Are you all really still rehashing this stuff? It's 2014 and no matter how many words you type, how many messages you post, how many CAPS you use, NOTHING will change. nearing 7 pages of discussion that started w/a radio show rumor (not quite the NY Times, but slightly better than the dude) and has everyone restating positions they long since have had since the ACC passed us over. MOVE ON. Talk about vampires ...

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
We will never know. UL tried rooster blocking WVU from the Big 12, WVU fought back, HARD. I've stated before, I like what Warde has done since, but Warde vs Jurich in that instance was like six shooter vs a pea shooter. That the Kentucky politician (McConnell?) showed up to session and spiked a football shows how high stakes that whole situation was. Warde and Sue were new to UConn and I suspect they weren't ready for how cut throat the CR thing was. I suspect they will be better prepared next time around. Is it too late? We don't know yet. I don't blame Warde but as others have said, it didn't look good. Why would Jurich be campainging door to door in the ACC "if it didn't matter"?

Fine. But it all comes down to this: what could Warde have said that could have changed the minds of BC/FSU/Clemson? None of the Warde bashers have ever come up with the right talk track for this.

And I do believe we might have been able to convince them, but not without giving up our TV money for 10 years or something like that. Which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Reaction Score
Fine. But it all comes down to this: what could Warde have said that could have changed the minds of BC/FSU/Clemson? None of the Warde bashers have ever come up with the right talk track for this.

And I do believe we might have been able to convince them, but not without giving up our TV money for 10 years or something like that. Which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Again I've backed off blaming Warde, but if giving up the TV money for 10 years was on the table you take it. Right now we've given up the TV money for eternity.

C

Chief00

People need to get used to Warde being on many lists. There are a limited number of Africian American AD's and each opening will have to float at least a couple names; real candidates and otherwise. Maybe that's a cynical view but it is what happened in the NFL before the league finally said they wanted to see some real results. Another possibility is Warde would initially work through 3rd parties so he can honestly say he had no direct contact with one school or another. Again cynical but that's reality. As for a grade, so far a C. If the football coach turns into a good hire a B-. But he will ultimately be judged on conference realignment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Manuel in USVI = Blumenthal lawsuit.
Both are red herrings that people like to point to as clearly the reasons we aren't in the ACC.

I don't know how to say this more clearly. BC, FSU, Miami, and Clemson didn't want us and the rest didn't care to overrule them.

If someone cares to lay out exactly how WM was supposed to change 3 of those nos to yesses, I'm all ears.

You'd be better off blaming Zach Fraser for throwing 2 pick sixes against OU, because that had more of an effect than WM's location at any point in time.

Reaction Score
Blumenthal is much more responsible for our situation than Manuel--way more. Ask Jim Boeheim what he heard about us at those first ACC meetings. The ACC fraternity decided to blackball the school rightly or wrongly perceived as the protagonist in that lawsuit. The stench has persisted.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Blumenthal is much more responsible for our situation than Manuel--way more. Ask Jim Boeheim what he heard about us at those first ACC meetings. The ACC fraternity decided to blackball the school rightly or wrongly perceived as the protagonist in that lawsuit. The stench has persisted.

Oh God, here we go again. I'll explain it for the 95th time: Blumenthal has NOTHING to do with conference realignment. If he did, we would still have Pitt in the American with us. Pitt's Nordenburg literally LED the efforts to sue the ACC! And Pitt joined the ACC two conference raids ago. The idea that a conference doesn't add a school because they don't like the state's attorney general / senator is beyond laughable. They didn't add us because of money and the perception of Louisville offering better football. That's all...

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/pitt/20030607bigeastpitt1p1.asp

Reaction Score
Oh God, here we go again. I'll explain it for the 95th time: Blumenthal has NOTHING to do with conference realignment. If he did, we would still have Pitt in the American with us. Pitt's Nordenburg literally LED the efforts to sue the ACC! And Pitt joined the ACC two conference raids ago. The idea that a conference doesn't add a school because they don't like the state's attorney general / senator is beyond laughable. They didn't add us because of money and the perception of Louisville offering better football. That's all...

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/pitt/20030607bigeastpitt1p1.asp

Oh god here we go again. Your argument would hold water if life was fair unfortunately it stuck to us thanks to that crusading left wing pos, that was our AG at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom