I am done | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I am done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing about giving tickets away is that our football program already operates at a significant loss, given the AAC TV contract. So your "how long can we keep this program afloat" time is cut shorter when you start giving away tickets.

I'm not necessarily against it, I'm just saying there are negative consequences as well.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We never had them.
Agreed.

I'm thinking of the high school to young alumni age bracket. They've known nothing but terrible UConn football. Unless UConn sustains success for years over years... this whole group is gone from the fan base, as they grow up and get married and have kids... It really sucks.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I'm thinking of the high school to young alumni age bracket. They've known nothing but terrible UConn football. Unless UConn sustains success for years over years... this whole group is gone from the fan base, as they grow up and get married and have kids... It really sucks.
They needed a home run hire after P. While I still think Diaco, has a shot to not be bust, he is definitely not a home run. Needs to win 50-50, games and he just doesn't do enough of that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know people say it's northeast thing but very few places don't feel the effects 6 consecutive losing years, which is where we are headed.

That's true. It's a mix of both really, a deadly combination made worse by the off campus stadium.

Look at the Cubs for example, until recently, lovable losers. But Wrigley is a neighborhood park, and the games are fun. If the cubs played in a place people mostly drove to, they would have had an empty building for years. Kansas football is awful, worse than UConn for sure, yet draws better because it has thousands of students, and alumni who can literally walk to the game. Add a few die hards, and you at least get over 30k.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
They needed a home run hire after P. While I still think Diaco, has a shot to not be bust, he is definitely not a home run. Needs to win 50-50, games and he just doesn't do enough of that.
How about a ground rule double?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The waning fan interest is multifaceted and I think runs much beyond our recent malaise on the field.

i) cultural thing - big time college football is still a relatively new thing in the northeast.
ii) competition for free time is relentless - people have lots of options
iii) hd tv and mobile tv is not helping. stay home, condense a 5hr experience into 3hrs and multi task while you are at it
iv) uconn alumni base is not on par with other big time programs. while the school has grown rapidly, many other programs have been bigger for longer. uconn could use more influential boosters in high places.
v) central ct economy is in the middle of a weak recovery, near bottom in the nation in recovering lost jobs from the recession peak.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I am pissed too... as we all should be. The CFB landscape changing in the last 5 years has not been favorable towards UConn Nation- that's for sure. This past weekend I went into the game without the same feeling I usually get before a home game- the night before is like waiting for Christmas for me. Not this time- and I fear that will become the norm. Losing sucks, and the state of our program is not exactly what I would classify as "fun".

However, I'm not turning my back on this program and the University. I'll stand by Diaco and these kids until the final down against Tulane this year. Bowl or no Bowl.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The waning fan interest is multifaceted and I think runs much beyond our recent malaise on the field.

i) cultural thing - big time college football is still a relatively new thing in the northeast.
ii) competition for free time is relentless - people have lots of options
iii) hd tv and mobile tv is not helping. stay home, condense a 5hr experience into 3hrs and multi task while you are at it
iv) uconn alumni base is not on par with other big time programs. while the school has grown rapidly, many other programs have been bigger for longer. uconn could use more influential boosters in high places.
v) central ct economy is in the middle of a weak recovery, near bottom in the nation in recovering lost jobs from the recession peak.
v.1) People's lives and responsibilities have evolved since the height of the Great Recession. People tightened their belts and prioritized other financial obligations over attending UConn football games.

Speaking from a personal POV, I bought a house in 2007, my income took a hit in 2008, and I got married in 2009, all the while moving funds around so I could maintain my football season tickets. Of Course not all fans are like me.

Finances got better, but then my first child was born in 2012 and 2nd earlier this year. Now I have more of a time issue, than financial. My first son is getting to the age where he has scheduled activities on Saturday mornings. So if I want to tailgate (and I do. It is still a lot of fun and an integral part of the game day experience), my wife is on her own with a 4 y.o. and 9 m.o. on days they don't come to the game (maybe 1 or 2 a year.) and I'm not involved in his soccer games or whatever. Soon I'll have a tough time fitting in the games let alone tailgating. Part of the reason I don't do basketball season tickets is that I can't justify all the home basketball dates vs. 5 - 6 Saturdays during the Fall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
v.1) People's lives and responsibilities have evolved since the height of the Great Recession. People tightened their belts and prioritized other financial obligations over attending UConn football games.

Speaking from a personal POV, I bought a house in 2007, my income took a hit in 2008, and I got married in 2009, all the while moving funds around so I could maintain my football season tickets. Of Course not all fans are like me.

Finances got better, but then my first child was born in 2012 and 2nd earlier this year. Now I have more of a time issue, than financial. My first son is getting to the age where he has scheduled activities on Saturday mornings. So if I want to tailgate (and I do. It is still a lot of fun and an integral part of the game day experience), my wife is on her own with a 4 y.o. and 9 m.o. on days they don't come to the game (maybe 1 or 2 a year.) and I'm not involved in his soccer games or whatever. Soon I'll have a tough time fitting in the games let alone tailgating. Part of the reason I don't do basketball season tickets is that I can't justify all the home basketball dates vs. 5 - 6 Saturdays during the Fall.

This has long been my situation, time wise. I coached basketball for the last several years, and so we had Saturday afternoon games every week in the fall. My daughter quit playing this year. But I saw an empty stadium for the Dolphins and Bills last Sunday as well. Nice weather, conference opponent...empty seats.

I think HDTV is really eating into the live game experience across the board. I live 15-20 minutes from Gillette Stadium and don't go to games, even with free tickets, except on rare occasions. The reality is that my view of the game is better at home. Bathroom access is better. Beer and beer prices and food and food prices are better, and the overall time commitment is much lower. Going to the Rent is about an 8-9 hour commitment from here in metro Boston. That's hard to justify, and harder to justify when I can watch the game in HD at home.

Reaction Score
It's a silly position to take. The FB program is hemorrhaging fans. Part of that is realignment related, part of it is we have been bad with little signs of improving. The good news is for those "we don't need fans like you" guys, you will have the stadium mostly to yourself soon.

This misses the overall malaise.

IT ain't simply a Football issue. Basketball needs to rise up. There's an overall deflation (where's the Tom Brady team working this ... lock them up) of the Brand in all our sports; while we continue - in many instances - be at the very highest levels of College Athletics. And, while the University (certainly in the Herbst era) has had fine leadership in creating a better academic institution and far better campus.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
As a non- alum, I disagree... Our tailgates used to be 25-50 people... 90% of whom did not attend UConn.

Now, we are lucky to have 5-10 at a tailgate.

All of these guys are big UConn fans. We all grew up in the Hartford area, but did not attend UConn for certain reasons (Financials, grades, major, wanting to go out of state, etc.)

So, I think non alum fans are very important. The UConn fans I know that went to UConn don't even care about the football program. However, the non alum fans that I know do.... but as they get older, they don't feel like finding the time, baby sitters, etc. to watch a lousy product. They will, however, watch or listen to the games.

You need to keep all fans. Non alum fans can be just as die hard as the alums, if not more in some cases. Splitting the issue up into alum vs. non alum is dumb and a waste of time. You need all fans. If you grow up in the Hartford area, you should be a fan and it is the school's obligation to keep them around.
I hate to admit it on here, but to support the non-alum crowd, I'll come out: I'm a Fairfield U and Boston College alum who grew up watching UCONN soccer and hoops. I'll be at Alumni Stadium wearing National Flag Blue and White, yelling at BC fans, and generally causing a commotion. There are a lot of non-alums who love to root for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I hate to admit it on here, but to support the non-alum crowd, I'll come out: I'm a Fairfield U and Boston College alum who grew up watching UCONN soccer and hoops. I'll be at Alumni Stadium wearing National Flag Blue and White, yelling at BC fans, and generally causing a commotion. There are a lot of non-alums who love to root for UCONN.

True, I have one in my family and my grandson who graduated from UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the OP at all. While not a season ticket holder but someone who goes to 3-4 games regularly a year (work and family commitments make going every Sat during the year impossible) it comes down to time/money vs entertainment. Most people don't go to the games to simply put money into the athletic department, or help with a gate number to help realignment chances. Most people go for a fun time, and the last 5-6 years have not been fun at all. I've noticed the lots being emptier and emptier, fans not caring much about the game at all bc there is no feeling or rivalry with the opponent now (save a couple games), and add in travel time/parking costs, etc depending where you live (90 min away for me) it adds up to a whole day and there are far more entertaining options out there for people. Nobody is ordered to go to these games and support, and in today's economic reality people have to be pickier than ever about where to spend their funds and seeing a lifeless, boring team every Sat is not the ideal way to spend money for most people. I have a guy at work I went to the game with for free bc I couldn't give away my 2nd ticket when my friend bailed late last week. It was his first time there (not an alumni and recently moved here from out of state) and afterwards he thanked me for the ticket but said he'd probably never want to come back. Can't say I blame him for how he felt...and that's the problem.

Reaction Score
Try being a season ticket holder who lives out of state.

I've continued to purchase my tickets because I believed it was the right way to support the program. The last 3 years I've donated the tickets to my cousins daughters elementary school because I couldn't give them away to anybody else. My cousin recently told me that more times than not nobody used them even though they were being given out for free to some elementary school kid.

This sums up the apathy that now surrounds this program.

I'm also done buying tickets and will just make a donation to the school instead

C

Chief00

I think the Athletic Department knows full well that the fan base is suffering. It's quite clear from attendance. You are just one among many frustrated fans who have given up on the program.

I'm gonna keep supporting the program because that's who I am and I still enjoy tailgating and rooting for my team regardless. But I grew up bleeding UConn blue and I went there and it's just part of my DNA at this point.

Don't blame anybody for leaving. Definitely blame people for pretending we don't need the fans.

But I think the department knows full well how tough it's been on the fan base and they are certainly trying, but I am not sure what sort of miracle you expect them to perform. Fire Diaco and pray the next coach is better? Sell tickets for $10? Yell at Shirreffs until he gets better?

It's an ugly problem without any easy solutions. I hope someday we see you back.

I have maintained for years we need the casual fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom