I am done | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I am done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm torn on this point. I believe that defense wins games and championships, and that offensive minded coaches tend to fail over time. Witness Chip Kelly, Charlie Weis, etc. Verducci's scheme is not that conservative, it's designed to be efficient, get first downs and possess the ball, allowing the defense to rest and get the ball back. As I've said, it's essentially a simpler version of the Patriots offense, but lacks the players to execute it, especially at QB. There are frequently open players who don't get the ball.

The defensive philosophy is also similar, with Belichick playing a bend don't break field position game all the time. I suspect that Diaco got that from Al Groh, a protegee of Parcells. Again, I see challenges in player execution, and also a lack of flexibility and adaptation on D. That's my biggest gripe on Diaco, the defense doesn't do enough to confuse and disguise its looks and he doesn't adjust quickly enough. Syracuse burned us over and over, with no switch in the secondary. We kept rushing more than 4 against UCF despite a slippery field and elusive QB. We beat the OL time and time again but couldn't get to the QB.

If this team doesn't beat ECU, I will expect Donovan Williams to suit up and play and I'll expect the defense to be more aggressive and hopefully to show a wider range of looks. There's noting left to lose.
I agree. if we were winning with Diaco's approach, we'd be happy and possibly in favor of it. I just see to many coaching errors to believe Diaco could win with this style. it's a style that doesn't leave much margin for error. Therefore, you can't have the coaching disasters we have like we did against Navy at the 1 yard line. At the very least you have to win 50 percent of the toss up games. I mean, looking back it took a coaching disaster on the part of UVA to pull that one out.

Diaco's style would seem to call for him to be outstanding in end of half situations and he is he exact opposite on both offense and defense .

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I've tried to quit, but as long as I live in CT, I will be watching this team. Even if we start going winless. I'll just start watching for draftable kids, local kids, etc. I'll find a reason. I find it hard to truly leave a team. Moving far away is really the only way to break the ties for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. if we were winning with Diaco's approach, we'd be happy and possibly in favor of it. I just see to many coaching errors to believe Diaco could win with this style. it's a style that doesn't leave much margin for error. Therefore, you can't have the coaching disasters we have like we did against Navy at the 1 yard line. At the very least you have to win 50 percent of the toss up games. I mean, looking back it took a coaching disaster on the part of UVA to pull that one out.

Diaco's style would seem to call for him to be outstanding in end of half situations and he is he exact opposite on both offense and defense .

He makes mistakes for sure. But so do the players, and that's the problem really. It is a system that breaks down if people fail their assignments. The offense doesn't work if BS doesn't recognize and hit his check down receivers. The defense doesn't work if the safety misreads the play. I think it would be a strong system with the right talent.

I guess I take issue with people saying it's "boring". If those DLs who blew up the UCF OL all day long were getting to the QB, the 4-5 sacks wouldn't seem boring. That pressure should have produced an INT or a fumble as well. Nothing boring about that. If our OL could get a push inside the 20, and get TDs 3/4 of the time, nobody would call it boring. Honestly, I'd much rather watch a smash-mouth team kicking butt than some pass happy team. I actually think our guys aren't nasty enough to play that way.

Reaction Score
Charles Strong is also a great guy who teaches his players the right way too. Diaco should be under similar kind of pressure.

Charlie Strong would be a great hire here if we can get him.
No thanks. a lot of his success was due to finding a special QB in Bridgewater. NFL caliber QBS make coaches look real good. What do you do when you don't have that type of player?

Reaction Score
He makes mistakes for sure. But so do the players, and that's the problem really. It is a system that breaks down if people fail their assignments. The offense doesn't work if BS doesn't recognize and hit his check down receivers. The defense doesn't work if the safety misreads the play. I think it would be a strong system with the right talent.

I guess I take issue with people saying it's "boring". If those DLs who blew up the UCF OL all day long were getting to the QB, the 4-5 sacks wouldn't seem boring. That pressure should have produced an INT or a fumble as well. Nothing boring about that. If our OL could get a push inside the 20, and get TDs 3/4 of the time, nobody would call it boring. Honestly, I'd much rather watch a smash-mouth team kicking butt than some pass happy team. I actually think our guys aren't nasty enough to play that way.
Well sure, every game is going to come down to which team executes their coaches plays better. Both teams,are trying for this, but Diaco at the goal line and some of the coaching decisions in the SU game are like playing with one hand tied behind your back.

Reaction Score
The only problem I have with gioff23 is getting a "proven coach". Who would that be exactly? What coach is out there that is begging to coach us? This is Uconn football not hoops. We have to find the coordinator that just might be the guy. I think that is what Ward thought about Diaco.

Reaction Score
The only problem I have with gioff23 is getting a "proven coach". Who would that be exactly? What coach is out there that is begging to coach us? This is Uconn football not hoops. We have to find the coordinator that just might be the guy. I think that is what Ward thought about Diaco.

Keep Diaco and fire his group of merry men. Hire some coordinators that have no relationship with Diaco. That''s all I got.

Reaction Score
You and I both know Maine was essentially a freebie. General casual Connecticut sports fan didn't know it. Beat people over the head with "free admission" and I guarantee the place will be more full than it has been since Michigan in 2013.

Sadly I don't think you can even fill the stadium with free tickets at this point. 35 sure.... 40k, nope

Reaction Score

We want to spend $5M to fire our coach, with the argument that we can save money on the next coach, but we also don't want to hire a coordinator who has never been a head coach, and of course someone that is guaranteed to be successful.

Slam dunk.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say this conference is beneath us for football. For basketball - yes. But we get your frustration - we all feel it too.

Total BS. You're either a fan and supporter or not. Stop making excuses about what conference were in or not in. Doesn't change who UConn is. Until this stupid thinking stops UConn will be weakened by its own fan base.

Reaction Score
I will be penning a note to the AD this week letting him know that while a relative newbie on some levels (not an alum and have been a fan since move to 1A), I am done. I truly believe the administration has misread the suffering we have endured over the past 6 years and that the only way to reach them is thru the pocketbook. I recognize he (AD) is new to this, but at some point we have to stop making excuses for everyone and realize what we have - a conference beneath us, a dying fanbase, and a program that has not evolved in 6 years. I have never seen a coach play to not lose. We have an inept strategy on O, our D has taken a huge step back from 15 and the STs are a joke - really, we can't return a punt? Worse, I truly believe Bob's experiment (love, hugs for all, RKGs, etc.) is premised on a ceiling he sees for UConn football that is so far below what we have been and could be, it's beyond words. I had such high hopes for BD, but we are in Y3 of an experiment that sees us regressing in terms of wins, and not showing progress on the field. Under him, the St. Pete Bowl is and will be the ceiling.

And so, BY, I wish you all well. I will attend the Temple game, pass on Tulane, and move on. No more tickets, no more donations - nothing. Either this administration will take immediate steps to right the ship, bring in a proven coach and get us to being a top 40 program on the field, perennially, or it really needs to follow the unthinkable plan espoused by lesser minds and abandon P5 dreams, move football to a UMass situation and return other sports to the Big East. I can't continue to spend commas on a program that is anything less than fully committed to getting us out of this godforsaken conference and putting a team that on the field that performs at the caliber of other athletic programs at State U. If we were a true P5 program, there would be a posse forming at Benedict's door and forcing his hand to make a change now. Go after a Art Briles-type and show the fanbase and the NCAA that we're serious about this sport we have taken too lightly for too long. I wasted my last Saturday cheering for a program that is not fully committed to winning.

This type of post makes me sick. Shows the insanity of people who call themselves fans. UConn doesn't need "fans" like this. Blaming the AD who just started 6 months ago is crazy.

Reaction Score
Glad fans are leaving? As if we have any to spare?

Gioff's only "crime" is that he typed up what all the other missing fans are thinking as they voted with their wallet and their feet.

We've been terrible for almost 6 years. The problem isn't Gioff deciding that 5 years of this sandwich was all he could stomach.

I'd rather see a limited number of dedicated fans and let the conditional fans take a hike. So go. Have a nice life.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I will be penning a note to the AD this week letting him know that while a relative newbie on some levels (not an alum and have been a fan since move to 1A), I am done.
Congratulations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This simply shouldn't happen. I am 100% for making it free and as easy as possible for students to get to the stadium. But the buses home shouldn't leave before the end of the game. That should be the deal.

FIFY

Reaction Score
Total BS. You're either a fan and supporter or not. Stop making excuses about what conference were in or not in. Doesn't change who UConn is. Until this stupid thinking stops UConn will be weakened by its own fan base.
This type of post makes me sick. Shows the insanity of people who call themselves fans. UConn doesn't need "fans" like this. Blaming the AD who just started 6 months ago is crazy.
I'd rather see a limited number of dedicated fans and let the conditional fans take a hike. So go. Have a nice life.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's fine - enjoy eternity in the AAC and the ongoing cash flow problems and eventual cuts needed to live our new reality. You can have your mediocrity.

If we want to continue to be the best, we need P5 home. For a P5 home we need as many fans as we can get. For as many fans as we can get, the product has to improve.

Sorry if facts trouble you.

Reaction Score
This simply shouldn't happen. I am 100% for making it free and as easy as possible for students to get to the stadium. But the buses home shouldn't leave before halftime. That should be the deal.
Many, if not most, students who tailgate actually pay for their own buses (not through the school) so they don't have to go into the game and can leave at kick-off, because the one's through the school start to leave at halftime. It sucks that our students would rather pay for a bus and not go into the game rather than get one for free and stay until halftime.

Reaction Score

Brian Kelly and Charlie Strong both likely to be available

Reaction Score
I think Warde really wanted Narduzzi and Diaco was the consolation prize.

Based on what Narduzzi has done at Pitt, I'd say our interest in him was pretty well founded. Narduzzi I think interviewed, but had no real interest in the job.

We can't just speculate on what coordinators are going to have success as a head coach. They also have to want to be at UConn, and the space where those two requirements meet is probably pretty thin.

Reaction Score
I think Warde really wanted Narduzzi and Diaco was the consolation prize.

Based on what Narduzzi has done at Pitt, I'd say our interest in him was pretty well founded. Narduzzi I think interviewed, but had no real interest in the job.

We can't just speculate on what coordinators are going to have success as a head coach. They also have to want to be at UConn, and the space where those two requirements meet is probably pretty thin.

I seem to recall that we couldn't give Narduzzi what he wanted to hire a stuff.

We're basically paying bargain basement prices for everyone except Diaco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom