I am done | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will be penning a note to the AD this week letting him know that while a relative newbie on some levels (not an alum and have been a fan since move to 1A), I am done. I truly believe the administration has misread the suffering we have endured over the past 6 years and that the only way to reach them is thru the pocketbook. I recognize he (AD) is new to this, but at some point we have to stop making excuses for everyone and realize what we have - a conference beneath us, a dying fanbase, and a program that has not evolved in 6 years. I have never seen a coach play to not lose. We have an inept strategy on O, our D has taken a huge step back from 15 and the STs are a joke - really, we can't return a punt? Worse, I truly believe Bob's experiment (love, hugs for all, RKGs, etc.) is premised on a ceiling he sees for UConn football that is so far below what we have been and could be, it's beyond words. I had such high hopes for BD, but we are in Y3 of an experiment that sees us regressing in terms of wins, and not showing progress on the field. Under him, the St. Pete Bowl is and will be the ceiling.

And so, BY, I wish you all well. I will attend the Temple game, pass on Tulane, and move on. No more tickets, no more donations - nothing. Either this administration will take immediate steps to right the ship, bring in a proven coach and get us to being a top 40 program on the field, perennially, or it really needs to follow the unthinkable plan espoused by lesser minds and abandon P5 dreams, move football to a UMass situation and return other sports to the Big East. I can't continue to spend commas on a program that is anything less than fully committed to getting us out of this godforsaken conference and putting a team that on the field that performs at the caliber of other athletic programs at State U. If we were a true P5 program, there would be a posse forming at Benedict's door and forcing his hand to make a change now. Go after a Art Briles-type and show the fanbase and the NCAA that we're serious about this sport we have taken too lightly for too long. I wasted my last Saturday cheering for a program that is not fully committed to winning.

At least you wrote about it. Most people just stopped coming.

We used to sell EVERY ticket.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Benedict isn't just going to sit around as we circle the drain. The guy came from Auburn, and all indications are that he was the choice because we need to fix the football program.

The problem is he's pretty constrained on what he can actually do right now. Diaco is owed a lot of money and we're not in a position where we can pay 2 head coaches.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Benedict isn't just going to sit around as we circle the drain. The guy came from Auburn, and all indications are that he was the choice because we need to fix the football program.

The problem is he's pretty constrained on what he can actually do right now. Diaco is owed a lot of money and we're not in a position where we can pay 2 head coaches.

It's more simple than making this a winning team again.

Even when we had some mediocre seasons under Edsall, the team was more entertaining to watch.

When Orlovsky, Endres or Frazer were playing well we even posted some big scores.

First make the team fun to watch again, then the wins will come. UConn football isn't even boring, watching this team play is like chewing rocks.

Watching Diaco sabotage his own field goal attempts is like chewing glass.

Reaction Score
As I said - we need non-alum fans, but they are only going to stay if the product is good. Don't for a minute think that I'm bashing non-alums - they just have a different perspective.

As a non- alum, I disagree... Our tailgates used to be 25-50 people... 90% of whom did not attend UConn.

Now, we are lucky to have 5-10 at a tailgate.

All of these guys are big UConn fans. We all grew up in the Hartford area, but did not attend UConn for certain reasons (Financials, grades, major, wanting to go out of state, etc.)

So, I think non alum fans are very important. The UConn fans I know that went to UConn don't even care about the football program. However, the non alum fans that I know do.... but as they get older, they don't feel like finding the time, baby sitters, etc. to watch a lousy product. They will, however, watch or listen to the games.

You need to keep all fans. Non alum fans can be just as die hard as the alums, if not more in some cases. Splitting the issue up into alum vs. non alum is dumb and a waste of time. You need all fans. If you grow up in the Hartford area, you should be a fan and it is the school's obligation to keep them around.

Reaction Score
As a non- alum, I disagree... Our tailgates used to be 25-50 people... 90% of whom did not attend UConn.

All of these guys are big UConn fans. We all grew up in the Hartford area, but did not attend UConn for certain reasons (Financials, grades, major, wanting to go out of state, etc.)

So, I think non alum fans are very important. The UConn fans I know that went to UConn don't even care about the football program. However, the non alum fans that I know do.... but as they get older, they don't feel like finding the time, baby sitters, etc. to watch a lousy product. They will, however, watch or listen to the games.

You need to keep all fans. Non alum fans can be just as die hard as the alums, if not more in some cases. Splitting the issue up into alum vs. non alum is dumb and a waste of time. You need all fans. If you grow up in the Hartford area, you should be a fan and it is the school's obligation to keep them around.

So you just said what I said, just with more words.

Never said we don't need them - just that they are harder to keep.

Reaction Score

I agree. Saying it's just entertainment if you are non-alum is myopic as heck. There is state pride and in many cases family tradition.

Reaction Score
The first sentence says it all - he isn't an alum. Which makes this purely entertainment for him.

TBH I only really get irritated at the alums that walk away. As Calhoun said when he was in NYC a couple of weeks ago - the school needs us more than ever.

At this point, you're better off not dividing the fans that are left.

Reaction Score
It's more simple than making this a winning team again.

Even when we had some mediocre seasons under Edsall, the team was more entertaining to watch.

When Orlovsky, Endres or Frazer were playing well we even posted some big scores.

First make the team fun to watch again, then the wins will come. UConn football isn't even boring, watching this team play is like chewing rocks.

Watching Diaco sabotage his own field goal attempts is like chewing glass.
Agreed. UConn football hasn't been fun to watch in years. Even wins with this offense are a slog. If we had the same record we do now but we were losing shootouts, there are unquestionably more butts in the seats.

But again, I think Benedict gets all that, and this coaching staff is on a much hotter seat if we had a P5 budget. He has to work with what he has right now and look toward the future. So in the meantime he's trying to improve the fan experience with off the field stuff.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the OP one bit.

Benedict has to throw the fans a bone of some sort. This week, it would the firing of Verducci. Next year, it's making the Rhode Island game a freebie. Sure it's a loss leader but maybe that will get more butts in the seats for BC and Mizzou later in the year.

Reaction Score
So you just said what I said, just with more words.

Never said we don't need them - just that they are harder to keep.

Makes sense... But like I said, I know a lot of UConn alum who give up on football after one game every year. So I don't necessarily agree.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the OP one bit.

Benedict has to throw the fans a bone of some sort. This week, it would the firing of Verducci. Next year, it's making the Rhode Island game a freebie. Sure it's a loss leader but maybe that will get more butts in the seats for BC and Mizzou later in the year.
The Maine game was a freebie this year, though. And concessions are cheaper, and buses from campus are free, and whatever else.

He's making an effort where he can. Going and firing Verducci if Diaco still feels he's the right guy to run the offense would be counterproductive while the team still has a shot at a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Makes sense... But like I said, I know a lot of UConn alum who give up on football after one game every year. So I don't necessarily agree.

I know there are plenty of alums that don't like football. And that's fine. But for the ones that do, I can't understand the apathy. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
The OP has a right to feel any way that he wants to and can choose where to allocate his $$. I do not blame him even one bit.

HCBD is the captain of the ship and ultimately he is the one responsible but lets be honest, the players also deserve a HUGE amount of blame here. Broken plays, mental lapses, stupid penalties, not showing up for the start of the game leading to playing from behind, dropped passes, missed tackles etc.

The players know how important on field success is to the future of the program and they have continuously dropped the ball, both literally and figuratively.

Yes, coaches deserve some of the blame but these players have largely been pretty bad.

Reaction Score
We need all the fans. Whether they are alums or not, it makes no difference. We need everyone in the state to support Uconn.

I believe most fans can support the team if we know the coaching staff is trying. It is hard to watch when you see a coaching staff make one questionable call after another.

I was watching the Zona vs. Seattle NFL game last night. While the game was low scoring, it was fun watching both ferocious defenses going after the QB. We haven't had that since Don Brown. I would love to see Don Brown kind of defense again. Sure we have up big plays here and there, but it was fun to see if our blitzes can get to the opposing QB first. That was entertaining.

What we got right now is conservative boring football that's losing every game. If I am a high school recruit, it be tough imaginng myself in this boring setup.

Diaco is the root of the problem. He is just not fit for a program like ours. Maybe at places like ND he can get DLs that can get to the QB with only 3 rushing, but it won't happen here. We need a creative coach that can create mismatches with what we got and make it work. We will never recruit like ND, but we can definitely have Boise type of program if we get the right coach. Edsall already proved that we are capable. Even Whipple at UMass is showing it is possible. We just need a change and a fresh start.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I really do, but there is one small observation I'd like to see all UConn fans discard . . . the entire business of how Randy Edsall left the program after the Fiesta Bowl. Just for a quick review . . . Randy had to be silent about "his leaving". Maryland, I'm sure, want to hold a "new conference" to introduce their new coach - not some after the fact gathering. It was probably a condition of his hire (that he remain silent as opposed to announcing earlier). Problem was . . . that created the likelihood of Randy having to leave immediately and forfeit the opportunity to coach the program he built in the Fiesta Bowl ( (the pinnacle of success for the Huskies). This happens all the time in college football, where unlike the NFL, there is no penalty for tampering with another team's coaches.

So I don't (never did) blame Randy for the way he left. Fans need to get over it and understand this is an unfortunate part of the modern day business of big time college football. As for the players, they were not some Pop Warner outfit. They should have known all along that the better UConn did, the more likely a bigger, weathier, power conference program was gonna view RE. It happens all the time. Besides, it has nothing to do with the sad state of UConn football today, which began to fall apart when they went for a quick fix and hired an "old retread", who in turn, decided to start (and stick with) a "walk on", You Tube trick shot artist, as the Huskies QB in the 2011 season. That was the moment the program began its skid.
Agree 100 percent. never understood the vitriol over the way he left. it was obvious his agent/him were looking since 07, when he interviewed for Ga Tech. The problem has been the UConn administration inability to find a guy to move us forward. UCF hired Scott Frost, USF hired Willy Taggart, Houston Tom Herman. All coaches who emphasize scoring points. we hired a guy who tells a boring, low scoring 13-10, win is by design. Yeah fans are leaving, and I went to the DMV instead of the game, but I'll be back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sell tickets for $10?
I know this is intended to be hyperbole, but I think that some kind of grand gesture to the season tickets holders is a smart idea. Something that says "we know it's been a rough ride the last six years and we appreciate that you have stuck with us. So, for this season we are ...."
Do one season ticket at the regular price and then up to three more at $10 a seat... Yeah, I know we can't afford it, but right now we need triage and this is a way to stop the bleeding.

Reaction Score
I know this is intended to be hyperbole, but I think that some kind of grand gesture to the season tickets holders is a smart idea. Something that says "we know it's been a rough ride the last six years and we appreciate that you have stuck with us. So, for this season we are ...."
Do one season ticket at the regular price and then up to three more at $10 a seat... Yeah, I know we can't afford it, but right now we need triage and this is a way to stop the bleeding.
What I'm always grumbling about is that I paid a lot of money for season tickets, and I still need to pay another $100 in parking when all is said and done.

All season ticket holders should either receive a free parking pass, or at least a heavily discounted one. I don't even particularly care if I get special parking in one of the close lots. Give me a $50 parking pass for the year out on the runway or something.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If we were a powerful program (as in $$$), this is what we'd be reading about Diaco.

Texas' Charlie Strong hot seat is now engulfed in Kansas State-sparked flames
Exactly p5 schools don't tolerate losing, when we were in realignment talks everyone was talking about our 72M athletic budget there has to be money there to get rid of Diaco and his entire staff. You can't half ass this if they care about the future of the program they have to start over with a blank slate and build a staff dedicated to continued success.

Reaction Score
The Maine game was a freebie this year, though. And concessions are cheaper, and buses from campus are free, and whatever else.

He's making an effort where he can. Going and firing Verducci if Diaco still feels he's the right guy to run the offense would be counterproductive while the team still has a shot at a bowl game.

You and I both know Maine was essentially a freebie. General casual Connecticut sports fan didn't know it. Beat people over the head with "free admission" and I guarantee the place will be more full than it has been since Michigan in 2013.

Reaction Score
If Texas fires Charlie Strong put him on the list of BD replacements

Reaction Score
I will be penning a note to the AD this week letting him know that while a relative newbie on some levels (not an alum and have been a fan since move to 1A), I am done. I truly believe the administration has misread the suffering we have endured over the past 6 years and that the only way to reach them is thru the pocketbook. I recognize he (AD) is new to this, but at some point we have to stop making excuses for everyone and realize what we have - a conference beneath us, a dying fanbase, and a program that has not evolved in 6 years. I have never seen a coach play to not lose. We have an inept strategy on O, our D has taken a huge step back from 15 and the STs are a joke - really, we can't return a punt? Worse, I truly believe Bob's experiment (love, hugs for all, RKGs, etc.) is premised on a ceiling he sees for UConn football that is so far below what we have been and could be, it's beyond words. I had such high hopes for BD, but we are in Y3 of an experiment that sees us regressing in terms of wins, and not showing progress on the field. Under him, the St. Pete Bowl is and will be the ceiling.

And so, BY, I wish you all well. I will attend the Temple game, pass on Tulane, and move on. No more tickets, no more donations - nothing. Either this administration will take immediate steps to right the ship, bring in a proven coach and get us to being a top 40 program on the field, perennially, or it really needs to follow the unthinkable plan espoused by lesser minds and abandon P5 dreams, move football to a UMass situation and return other sports to the Big East. I can't continue to spend commas on a program that is anything less than fully committed to getting us out of this godforsaken conference and putting a team that on the field that performs at the caliber of other athletic programs at State U. If we were a true P5 program, there would be a posse forming at Benedict's door and forcing his hand to make a change now. Go after a Art Briles-type and show the fanbase and the NCAA that we're serious about this sport we have taken too lightly for too long. I wasted my last Saturday cheering for a program that is not fully committed to winning.

Nothing special about you.

We have gone from 24,988 season tickets to about 12,500 in your tenure.

I don't know what the answer is. Bob Diaco turned into the Energy Vampire he warned against. You have to have an offense. HE DID build a great culture with good kids. But this is not rising up ... and I guess I am now thinking that OUR fanbase was spoiled with names; because to my eyes the USF /UCF competition is somewhat comparable to all the Syracuse Rutgers we lost.

The Students and the bus riding home before walking in the stadium. What can you say ...

And further, this transcends to bad omens for the MBB & WBB even though we continue to be National Competitive programs.

I don't think this is entirely about Winning and gioff23.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree 100 percent. never understood the vitriol over the way he left. it was obvious his agent/him were looking since 07, when he interviewed for Ga Tech. The problem has been the UConn administration inability to find a guy to move us forward. UCF hired Scott Frost, USF hired Willy Taggart, Houston Tom Herman. All coaches who emphasize scoring points. we hired a guy who tells a boring, low scoring 13-10, win is by design. Yeah fans are leaving, and I went to the DMV instead of the game, but I'll be back.

I'm torn on this point. I believe that defense wins games and championships, and that offensive minded coaches tend to fail over time. Witness Chip Kelly, Charlie Weis, etc. Verducci's scheme is not that conservative, it's designed to be efficient, get first downs and possess the ball, allowing the defense to rest and get the ball back. As I've said, it's essentially a simpler version of the Patriots offense, but lacks the players to execute it, especially at QB. There are frequently open players who don't get the ball.

The defensive philosophy is also similar, with Belichick playing a bend don't break field position game all the time. I suspect that Diaco got that from Al Groh, a protegee of Parcells. Again, I see challenges in player execution, and also a lack of flexibility and adaptation on D. That's my biggest gripe on Diaco, the defense doesn't do enough to confuse and disguise its looks and he doesn't adjust quickly enough. Syracuse burned us over and over, with no switch in the secondary. We kept rushing more than 4 against UCF despite a slippery field and elusive QB. We beat the OL time and time again but couldn't get to the QB.

If this team doesn't beat ECU, I will expect Donovan Williams to suit up and play and I'll expect the defense to be more aggressive and hopefully to show a wider range of looks. There's noting left to lose.

Reaction Score

You have made the right decision for yourself. Why "suffer" through something you don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom