Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Figure Crean takes the UGA job rather than waiting to be our back up plan, Matta can't coach for health reasons, and Hurley chooses Pitt.

If all of that happens, do we call Pitino?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I still haven't really heard any critisism of Crean other than "he's weird."

• Couldn't recruit his own state at THE basketball school in that state
  • He had two good years. Seven below average
  • That school should be a monster. It has way more resources than UCONN. He was good at his best, but was bad way too often, and trending downward
  • Apparently pissed off a number of people in the administration there
  • Overall: 166–135 (.551) 71–91 (.438) Not inspiring
  • Indiana fans were desperate to have him gone
  • He's weird.

Reaction Score
Fine, then take a chance on getting one. A retread simply treads water, after maybe a small bump.

But really, there's a chance to be a successful middle of the road coach as well. A Beilein so to speak.

Man, I would love a Beilein type. I can't think of any comparisons. A brilliant offensive minded coach who gets everything out of his players. Who also should recruit better than he does but I imagine the strength of our brand relative to conference peers would make up for this deficit.

Reaction Score
  • That school should be a monster. It has way more resources than UCONN. He was good at his best, but was bad way too often, and trending downward
  • He's weird.

What is your definition of good?

The man has been to 4 sweet 16's and a Final Four.

Reaction Score
There have to be other young up and coming coaches at lower level schools that are good candidates to succeed besides Hurley. Ones that have upside. I'd rather take that chance than hire "safe choices" that are retreads like Crean or Martin. That would be the easy way out for Benedict. Benedict needs to take a chance and trust his judgment on someone. Ohio State, Arizona St., and others have done it recently. If Benedict takes some risk and makes a bad choice on a younger less experienced guy that doesn't work out then he wasn't as good at his job as he should be.

pj

Reaction Score
  • He's weird.

Crean makes Kevin Ollie look like a successful coach.

Matta would be great if healthy, but Hurley seems like the best available option.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s a bit concerning. Anyone else. We better pray for duke now I guess. I just don’t know if I can. Based on principal. His BROTHER played with CHRISTIAN LAETTNER!! That’s asking a lot. But. Oh well. He better win like 20 titles in the next 3 years!!!
My daughter in law went to Duke when Laettner was there. She said few people liked him, so some Dookies have redeeming qualities. And Danny was stuck with his brother so he is entitled to a little forgiveness.

Reaction Score
I love JC , I dont want him to have to do this, but if it isnt Hurley and comes down to the other 3 I make JC a 1-2 year steward until we can pull a coach in here.

Calhoun missed like half of his final season due to health issues, you're telling me he's going to come back 6 years later and be fine? And how does he stay competitive recruiting if the deal is that he's a 2 year stopgap?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My daughter in law went to Duke when Laettner was there. She said few people liked him

Yup. For all those people who didnt like him, he still managed to sleep with ALL of them. And they begged for it.

If ever was reincarnated I would choose to comeback in Christian Laettners body for his 4 years in college. The kid ran the world. That's why everyone (including us) hated him so much. He ran the world. Complete Rock Star.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
  • He's weird.
I would add that he's a poor in-game coach.

Reaction Score
His records aren't impressive either. He had a great great run last year in the NCAAs, but meh.

His record at K-State was pretty solid for where he was at. 10-5 in the tourney isn't bad for those 2 programs. Seems like a solid fallback option if we miss on Hurley.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There have to be other young up and coming coaches at lower level schools that are good candidates to succeed besides Hurley. Ones that have upside. I'd rather take that chance than hire "safe choices" that are retreads like Crean or Martin. That would be the easy way out for Benedict. Benedict needs to take a chance and trust his judgment on someone. Ohio State, Arizona St., and others have done it recently. If Benedict takes some risk and makes a bad choice on a younger less experienced guy that doesn't work out then he wasn't as good at his job as he should be.
Exactly. And Calhoun should be option W.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My top four in order:

Hurley
Schmidt
Becker
JC

I think it's odd that people eliminating people based on looks considering JC sounded like a Bahstahn machine gun when he talked. It took me a while to figure out what he was saying for a few years. Matta isn't healthy but Martin and Crean have some strong positives in their favor.

Just win, baby

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What is your definition of good?

The man has been to 4 sweet 16's and a Final Four.

I was speaking specifically of his time at Indiana there. I look at his career at Indiana as more indicative of who Crean is, given that it was the most recent, at a powerhouse of a school, and damn near a decade long.

I'm not discounting Marquette, just that I think what you see at Indiana is what you get.

The two good years being finishing 1st in the B1G. Both making the sweet 16. You probably hope for more there in March.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The two good years being finishing 1st in the B1G. Both making the sweet 16. You probably hope for more there in March.
Like winning a tournament, ever. He's never done it, even in conference tourneys.

18 years, two big schools, zero banners. How is that guy on the list at all?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom