Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean

Reaction Score
I think we all agree that Hurley is #1

But I think Crean is an ok backup.

I really don't think this a very controversial opinion to have outside of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A guy like Schmidt makes me nervous. He's already 55 and has zero experience with high level recruiting.

Sounds like we better hope we get Hurley.
Sounds like all or nothing. What happened to that dunleavy talk?

Reaction Score
I just feel like UConn would be settling if they selected Crean or Martin. I just don't think it's a wise choice and I don't think it will work in the long run.

Any chance UConn can siphon a coach from another university? UConn can offer a top salary, we have amazing practice facilities, a history that consists of 4 national championships and are located in a recruiting hotbed. Does the AAC hurt us that bad?

Also, do you think AD Benedict puts a call in to Donovan?

Question - when Calhoun retired. Who was out there at the time? I know Calhoun hand picked Ollie, but I am just wondering in terms of who we could have had KO not been selected.

Reaction Score
No old washouts.

Hurley
Musselman
Schmidt
Becker
Guys I am forgetting. I’d take Tommy Amaker over the other three.

Amaker turned down the BCU job a couple of years ago to stay at Harvard. Good coach, but recruiting in the Ivy League is a lot different than recruiting anywhere else. I'd be concerned about this aspect of the job if he were hired.

Reaction Score
Those are the four candidates, per Borges.

Apparently Martin, Matta and Crean have been in contact with UConn, but Hurley is at the top of the list. Calhoun is the fallback option if UConn misses on all targets.

Don't be a dope. JC is not coming back

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I'm hoping, since we have that pesky little $10 mil problem and potential public war with the union, that we know that we have Hurley in the fold.

If we go through all this crap and then land the UVM coach, Benedict should be next to meet with the arbitrator.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just feel like UConn would be settling if they selected Crean or Martin. I just don't think it's a wise choice and I don't think it will work in the long run.

Any chance UConn can siphon a coach from another university? UConn can offer a top salary, we have amazing practice facilities, a history that consists of 4 national championships and are located in a recruiting hotbed. Does the AAC hurt us that bad?

Also, do you think AD Benedict puts a call in to Donovan?

Question - when Calhoun retired. Who was out there at the time? I know Calhoun hand picked Ollie, but I am just wondering in terms of who we could have had KO not been selected.

Unless Hurley is a lock, and he probably is, I think we have to at least try with Donovan. And beyond that, call anybody else even if we think they won’t say yes. I’d be ok with Jay L. From the Celtics.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Amaker turned down the BCU job a couple of years ago to stay at Harvard. Good coach, but recruiting in the Ivy League is a lot different than recruiting anywhere else. I'd be concerned about this aspect of the job if he were hired.

He will probably be there forever and I doubt he’d make our list. I just have a soft spot for him, despite the Duke connection. Winning every year in the Ivy isn’t easy.

Reaction Score
Unless Hurley is a lock, and he probably is, I think we have to at least try with Donovan. And beyond that, call anybody else even if we think they won’t say yes. I’d be ok with Jay L. From the Celtics.

Donovan wouldn't be available until May at the earliest, and even then, some school like UCLA would just swoop in and offer him far more than we can pay.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Let's just stop with Billy Donovan. When he eventually leaves the NBA and his 6 mil per year salary, it's going to be to replace Roy Williams or something like that. Not to coach in the AAC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He will probably be there forever and I doubt he’d make our list. I just have a soft spot for him, despite the Duke connection. Winning every year in the Ivy isn’t easy.

he's one of those guys who's found his niche. It's not top level, but it's pretty damn good place to be.

Reaction Score
Let's just stop with Billy Donovan. When he eventually leaves the NBA and his 6 mil per year salary, it's going to be to replace Roy Williams or something like that. Not to coach in the AAC.

It's insanity. He is way out of our league. Embarrassing to even reach out.

Reaction Score

Exactly. People here are worried about losing out on Hurley if he goes on a run and becomes an even hotter candidate and yet think we'd have any chance with Donovan?

Reaction Score
I think we are going to get Hurley but if we don't I would rather take a chance on one of the younger up & comers rather than the retreads. My list would be:

1. Hurley
2.Otzelberger
3.Konkol
4.Schmidt
5.Becker

Reaction Score
Crean's Hoosiers began the 2016-17 season ranked No. 11 in the country, and at one point, got as high as third. Their final fate? First round loss in the NIT. How desperate was IU to give Crean the boot? His buyout was $4 million, but would have been only $1 million if they merely waited until July 1. How much did they want to send him a farewell message? They announced his firing minutes after the 2017 NCAA tournament tipped off.

Reaction Score
Crean as coach would only make sense if you're a devoted disciple of the weave and heave school of offense.

Reaction Score
I still haven't really heard any critisism of Crean other than "he's weird."
My biggest criticism would be his recruiting. He couldn't recruot Indiana kids to play at IU, which doesn't make me optimistic he'd do a good job recruiting New England

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom