Hungary Game and Pictures | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hungary Game and Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at the box scores quickly I basically just hovered over the three new kids. Ice not included. These three will be fun to watch all season long. KK, thank you. A quick point guard and she playing defense. Q, people will get to know her name. Various skills and all around player. Ash, OMG. She’s a pest. Let’s skip football and get right into hoops.

Reaction Score
Looking at the box scores quickly I basically just hovered over the three new kids. Ice not included. These three will be fun to watch all season long. KK, thank you. A quick point guard and she playing defense. Q, people will get to know her name. Various skills and all around player. Ash, OMG. She’s a pest. Let’s skip football and get right into hoops.
My sentiments exacly! Go Huskies!!! Women's Basketball rules!

Reaction Score
Amari sighting... Nice.. :)
Screenshot_20230823_182415_Email.jpg

Reaction Score
I'll watch the game tomorrow on UCONN+. Based on the box score, it seemed like the steady play of Edwards, Arnold, and Griffin carried the day. The worst part of Fudd's game was only 1 assists with 31 shot attempts. A few passes may have led to some easy baskets.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one 'befuddled' by the poor shooting by Azzi? The 'Fuddster' has been so aggrandized here that we forget that she is yet to shoot consistently to the level we all expected when she arrived in Storrs. Yes, she has perfect form when she's healthy, when she has time to set her feet and when the opposition gives her space.

Today's game is of no matter, or is it?

Maybe Geno told her to go out and shoot every time she touched the ball, but maybe not... the reality is that, sorry, Milford, it is just not UConn basketball when one player shoots 31 times (and is infrequently connecting) and the next most fga is 11. If Geno has Azzi convinced that she's the Second Coming, we're headed for trouble. Second Coming of Ogunbowale, as one BYer mentioned above?

She had one assist! I have a hard time believing there weren't plenty of times when a pass would have served the Huskies better than yet another Azzi bomb when she clearly wasn't feeling it.

Sorry, my fellow BYers, Azzi is not an All-American yet, nor is she proven to be the great shooter we all anticipated. I hope to be shown otherwise. Heading into your third season, Azzi, please, show me some great shooting on a regular basis.

I know this is just a summer trip to Europe, but check back to last season, or even her freshman season. The stats don't come close to the reputation for Azzi. I hope she measures up starting in November. She's a wonderful young woman and clearly a great teammate, but the hoopla about her great shooting is, well, simply hoopla to this point.

Feel free to disagree...

Reaction Score
Am I the only one 'befuddled' by the poor shooting by Azzi? The 'Fuddster' has been so aggrandized here that we forget that she is yet to shoot consistently to the level we all expected when she arrived in Storrs. Yes, she has perfect form when she's healthy, when she has time to set her feet and when the opposition gives her space.

Maybe Geno told her to go out and shoot every time she touched the ball, but maybe not... the reality is that, sorry, Milford, it is just not UConn basketball when one player shoots 31 times (and is infrequently connecting) and the next most fga is 11. If Geno has Azzi convinced that she's the Second Coming, we're headed for trouble. Second Coming of Ogunbowale, as one BYer mentioned above?

She had one assist! I have a hard time believing there weren't plenty of times when a pass would have served the Huskies better than yet another Azzi bomb when she clearly wasn't feeling it.

Sorry, my fellow BYers, Azzi is not an All-American yet, nor is she proven to be the great shooter we all anticipated. I hope to be shown otherwise. Heading into your third season, Azzi, please, show me some great shooting on a regular basis.

I know this is just a summer trip to Europe, but check back to last season, or even her freshman season. The stats don't come close to the reputation for Azzi. I hope she measures up starting in November. She's a wonderful young woman and clearly a great teammate, but the hoopla about her great shooting is, well, simply hoopla to this point.

Feel free to disagree...
Have you been watching the games and past seasons? Fudd shot well the past three games. "Not proven to be a great shooter?" No more comments needed on this topic.

Reaction Score

Feel free to disagree...

Most people (me included) are mesmerized by Azzi's shooting in private workouts when there is no defense and nobody is rushing her. It is a thing of beauty, but I agree that in game where pace is faster, defense in your face or rushing at you, Azzi has not been as accurate as we expected. Statistically, I believe she is not as good of a 3-pt shooter as KLS and I certainly expected more given her reputation.

I also think that Paige is a better in-game 3-pt shooter than Azzi.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

Feel free to disagree...
i think you make a cogent case.

fact is, azzi has been awesome at times, but i'm afraid way inconsistent. hitting 35/38 shots in workouts when you're not guarded is impressive, but that doesn't count at gametime, even when experts declare your shooting form is the best.

azzi has had injury woes, for sure, but she simply has not been the player i anticipated. maybe the injury jinx is responsible, or maybe a lack of confidence or the pressure of expectations: who knows?

i'm happy with her defense and overall athleticism -- i'm confident about her basic abilities -- and she knows the game and offers great team chemistry, but she seems unable to put it all together often enough. yeah, i know everyone has off games, but azzi seems to be off more often than expected from an AA.

hey, i'm not saying she's not a good husky starter, but she's considered an AA and POY candidate around here, and i don't buy it. not yet. she does have that potential and in time may fulfill it. but imaging she's already there doesn't do her any favors and can lead to disappointment for overenthusiastic fans.

let's just be glad azzi is on board is my opinion.

OTOH, uconn fans on a message board understandably are expecting great things. and fine. it's good to hear all perspectives.

Reaction Score
Fudd wasn't great last year, but I chalk it up to her knee injury. She just wasn't the same once she went down. 45/34 FG/3PT are very pedestrian numbers, and her assist/TO ratio and defense were par at best. In other words, her true value to the team is scoring. She was terrible in the Sweet 16 loss. No other way to sugarcoat it.

Obviously, a big year for her. If healthy, I expect all her numbers to dramatically improve. Plus, having Paige as a running mate won't hurt!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is what Fans do - they love their players and expect great things from them every time out.
I have been disappointed many times with many players including all the Huskies Greats and will be again. People have their binkies on every team and are not always rational.

31 shots is on Geno - if he didn't want it she wouldn't have gotten beyond 20 before she was sitting next to him. The games don't count and I think he wants her shooting more in general than she has - he has a much confidence in her 3 point shot as he has in Liya's 25 footer, and other players layups. So getting her into the mind set of shooting when open was probably a goal of his in this last of 4 exhibitions. Just as seeing lots of the freshman was a goal.

Reaction Score

Feel free to disagree...
Always appreciate your post. I kinda see both sides of it but I am not too concerned. I don't think she shoots that much if Caroline and Paige are in the game. I also agree that it is summer, and this is the time you want to go 9-31 and be super aggressive. It will be interesting to see the type of 3's she got off. If they are step back/off the dribble, if she was trying new things, even better. These stats don't matter much imo. On the other hand, I do think Azzi can go cold in games. I remember last year vs Iowa in the first half she started like 1-8 and she had taken good shots. She eventually couldn't miss in the second half. She had a similar rough start in the tournament against Baylor but made some tough shots. I think she's an unbelievable shooter, and ultimately I trust her. But I guess like a lot of great players (Caitlin Clark comes to mind) she can have off nights. But I think Geno has the right strategy so to speak. In a majority of games if Azzi gets 20 shots and like `10 3s, she's going to average a lot of points, like 26 a night, just on the law of averages. But I could definitely see her going like 7-24 in a big game, but that's why u have a team to pick her up. Thats kinda why I think Caroline is super important to this team, just as a pressure release, go-to option..

Reaction Score

Feel free to disagree...
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.

I trust Steph Curry when he says Azzi is one of the great shooters in basketball today. But she has been inconsistent since she arrived at UConn. I wonder if it’s because of injuries or if it’s the mental side of the game. It’s hard to argue against her shooting form, and she has had some great games.

My hope is that she will be more consistent when she gets to play a full season with her friend Paige. Paige said that it’s her fantasy to win the NC by passing the ball to Azzi for the final shot. Paige has a lot of confidence in her, so I have hope for the « splash sisters » this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi shot at least 50% from the arc in each of the first 3 games, then turned into Arike/Kelsey Mitchell. I’m puzzled/befuddled. Maybe watching the game will enlighten us.

Reaction Score
Azzi shot at least 50% from the arc in each of the first 3 games, then turned into Arike/Kelsey Mitchell. I’m puzzled/befuddled. Maybe watching the game will enlighten us.
Are players not allowed to have bad shooting games? Even Steph Curry has off nights. If she took 31 shots I'm sure that was by design.

Reaction Score
I'm not concerned about Azzi having a poor shooting day. I am concerned that she took so many shots. I have played with ball hogs. If they make a good percentage of their shots, it's OK. If they take a lot of shots (instead of obviously better passes) and miss most of them, then that's irritating. Want me to fight for an offensive rebound or dive on the floor for a loose ball so that the ball hog can get another shot? I don't think so.

Azzi is not a ball hog. I don't know what was going on with all those shots, but I hope her chemistry with teammates is such that they know this as well.

Reaction Score
Fascinating or fascination! A couple of days ago many on this Thread were in a manic state about how we were going to run over the oppositions on our way to cutting down the net. And some still talk about starting the freshmen-- although one of them-- Samuel, has seemingly fallen from grace. Poor Fudd. The truth about her is out-- form over content seems to be the noise in the machine. Remember that famous basketball player from Georgetown Univ. who asked-- are we talking about practice? Practice? Not games, but practice? I was under the impression that they were just having fun. Yes, there are some people who do not like fun or used fun to score 50-points, but .... Come on people, this is entertainment (even a purist as GA) can appreciate it. Its more, I think, marketing the Uconn Brand in these cities. Patience please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom