Hungary Game and Pictures | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hungary Game and Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am surprised by the shock of BY’ers at Azzi’s “bad” shooting night, at the end of a tiring 10-day overseas trip, with no practice, in games that were only slightly more organized than weekend pickup games at the Y.

Calm down everyone. Azzi is a wonderful shooter. I can safely say that we will never see her shoot the ball 31 times and miss 22 times in any regular season game she ever plays in.

I am absolutely sure that in a tough battle against Pecs, Geno told her to shoot the ball every chance she got. That’s not really Azzi’s game. Azzi’s game is moving without the ball, finding a little space and receiving a pass from Paige or Nika and then splashing the net.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People on TwitterX are saying there were double rims on the baskets in Italy vs Pecs. Coaches, can you explain what that means and how the rims affect shots? @BobbyJ

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't know why double-rim would bother great shooters. Their shots are not supposed to touch the rim anyway and in workout Azzi's shots almost never touch the rim, and a lot of times it seems like they don't even move the net.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by the shock of BY’ers at Azzi’s “bad” shooting night, at the end of a tiring 10-day overseas trip, with no practice, in games that were only slightly more organized than weekend pickup games at the Y.

Calm down everyone. Azzi is a wonderful shooter. I can safely say that we will never see her shoot the ball 31 times and miss 22 times in any regular season game she ever plays in.

I am absolutely sure that in a tough battle against Pecs, Geno told her to shoot the ball every chance she got. That’s not really Azzi’s game. Azzi’s game is moving without the ball, finding a little space and receiving a pass from Paige or Nika and then splashing the net.

One great or off night is not important but statistically over her Uconn career so far, is Azzi's 3-pt shooting percentage better, worse or about what you expected based on her reputation as a great shooter?

Reaction Score
Azzi is a 39.1% UConn career 3-point shooter. That's pretty good for someone that's never played a full season and never has had the chance to get into a routine or rhythm. Obvious issue with Azzi is her health as she hasn't had a fully healthy season since freshman year in high school.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One great or off night is not important but statistically over her Uconn career so far, is Azzi's 3-pt shooting percentage better, worse or about what you expected based on her reputation as a great shooter?
Good question. I am an eternal optimist when it comes to UConn WBB. So as good as Azzi has shot the ball through her injury plagued career, I would always hope for it to be better. Having said that, if Azzi and Paige are healthy for the entire season, Azzi will get more space to release that textbook shot of hers, often from perfect feeds from her BFF, who will take much of the attention from opposing defenses. If that happens, I expect that Azzi’s shooting this season will dazzle everyone.

Reaction Score
IMG_1732.jpeg

Reaction Score
For me shooting relies a lot on "feel" and the "look' of the target does have an impact.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don’t get how you build a decent basketball arena and then decide to install crappy rims used in outdoor elementary school playgrounds.

Reaction Score
At the end of a long 10 days of travel and basketball, without any practice, against a surprisingly strong opponent, I suspect that Geno gave Azzi the word to “shoot the ball every time you touch it.”
looks like she heard him. Maybe next time he should say something about making some of them.

Reaction Score
Well, I for one am happy to see Azzi take that many shot, especially when she's missing. Her growth will come from building confidence in imperfection, so this is a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Amari sighting... Nice.. :) View attachment 90926
I would make it a priority to get her ready to play this year. Amari has a very good skillset to support the rest of the cogs in this wheel and brings backside defense that no other player on the team can offer. She also a very skilled offensive player who can put the ball in the basket if a team decides to press.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This board is crazy. Posters here making judgments about the last game of a busy, exhausting foreign tour like it should tell us anything about a player's shooting ability. Come on. People here just looking for stuff to complain about.

Azzi missed 2 months of her freshman season with a foot injury (I think the foot might affect someone's shooting) and she still made 42% of her three-pointers. That's pretty good. Before her knee injuries last season she also made about 42% of her 3-pointers. Is Azzi capable of making 45-50% of her 3-pointers when healthy? Yes. Remember, KML shot 38% as a freshman and 41% as a junior. KML's sophomore and senior seasons saw her make 49% of her threes.

The bigger question for Azzi is can she make it through an entire season healthy. If so, she'll make a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
So many people complaining about Azzi's "bad" shooting night. If her "bad" shooting nights always result in 24 points, I'm okay with that.
You can't score only 24 points when you shoot 31 times. That percentage belongs on the bench not to a person who is counted on to be one of the stars. I doubt whether she would be happy with that stat line and I also doubt that will happen too many times.

Reaction Score
People on TwitterX are saying there were double rims on the baskets in Italy vs Pecs. Coaches, can you explain what that means and how the rims affect shots? @BobbyJ

The picture of Amari shows the rims pretty clearly. If that is the rim in question it is not a double rim it is an iteration of the more basic or less expensive breakaway rim. That rim sometimes is looser at the hinge point and makes a clanging sound when the ball hits it. The double rim is not a hinged rim and is exactly the opposite of the rim in the picture. It is very firm and provides no give when the ball its it so you tend to get longer rebounds when you throw up a brick.

Reaction Score

As a shooter I would always prefer to have a net. When you are shooting you are always looking for the rim and the net gives you a larger target to locate the rim on more difficult shots like a shot that starts with your back to the basket. From the picture on the left it is hard to tell what type of rim that is but it doesn't look like a playground rim to me with a second rim welded to one immediately below it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom