Hungary Game and Pictures | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hungary Game and Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This board is crazy. Posters here making judgments about the last game of a busy, exhausting foreign tour like it should tell us anything about a player's shooting ability. Come on. People here just looking for stuff to complain about.

Azzi missed 2 months of her freshman season with a foot injury (I think the foot might affect someone's shooting) and she still made 42% of her three-pointers. That's pretty good. Before her knee injuries last season she also made about 42% of her 3-pointers. Is Azzi capable of making 45-50% of her 3-pointers when healthy? Yes. Remember, KML shot 38% as a freshman and 41% as a junior. KML's sophomore and senior seasons saw her make 49% of her threes.

The bigger question for Azzi is can she make it through an entire season healthy. If so, she'll make a lot of shots.
I agree Azzi is a good shooter and historically she has shot a pretty solid percentage. But this game was not one of them and all the girls played the same schedule as she did on this trip and they managed to still shoot pretty good. Azzi has my respect as a player and a shooter but this stat line is not one that should be used as an example of a good scoring day. It has nothing to do with the player just the results. And I agree I would love to see her healthy for a whole season with a full complement of supporting players.

Reaction Score
There's a IG video of Jana sitting on her "bike" getting shots up, as well as the team giving love to Anna

Reaction Score
Am I the only one 'befuddled' by the poor shooting by Azzi? The 'Fuddster' has been so aggrandized here that we forget that she is yet to shoot consistently to the level we all expected when she arrived in Storrs. Yes, she has perfect form when she's healthy, when she has time to set her feet and when the opposition gives her space.

Today's game is of no matter, or is it?

Maybe Geno told her to go out and shoot every time she touched the ball, but maybe not... the reality is that, sorry, Milford, it is just not UConn basketball when one player shoots 31 times (and is infrequently connecting) and the next most fga is 11. If Geno has Azzi convinced that she's the Second Coming, we're headed for trouble. Second Coming of Ogunbowale, as one BYer mentioned above?

She had one assist! I have a hard time believing there weren't plenty of times when a pass would have served the Huskies better than yet another Azzi bomb when she clearly wasn't feeling it.

Sorry, my fellow BYers, Azzi is not an All-American yet, nor is she proven to be the great shooter we all anticipated. I hope to be shown otherwise. Heading into your third season, Azzi, please, show me some great shooting on a regular basis.

I know this is just a summer trip to Europe, but check back to last season, or even her freshman season. The stats don't come close to the reputation for Azzi. I hope she measures up starting in November. She's a wonderful young woman and clearly a great teammate, but the hoopla about her great shooting is, well, simply hoopla to this point.

Feel free to disagree...
I do disagree to an extent. I think Azzi is a fantastic support player and with a full roster that is all she needs to be. My observation of her when she has to be the center of attention is that she becomes a different player. I do feel like after a season where she has others to pick her up on the bad days she will develop into the player you described above.

To be fair the expectations of all players coming to UCONN are in the stratosphere and for Azzi they are even higher. Usually a player has a few superstars ahead of them so they kind of grow into the role of leader. With Azzi she hasn't been healthy and when she was several others weren't so be patient, she will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom