Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This comment is myopic and straw man - no where in his comment did he suggest that the university should appease him because he lives far away.

His point is the drive out of Fairfield county on a weekday afternoon is some of the most brutal traffic and it’s extremely difficult to get to a uconn game on a weekday from lower FC. You have to leave around 2-3 to get to Hartford for a game between 6-7. If you leave after 4 , forget it - you’d be lucky to get to New Haven by 6. Getting to Gampel means leaving around 2ish and getting home around 10 or later…. extremely difficult to do on a consistent basis.

Playing games in Hartford makes the game more accessible to a larger population — it’s that simple and can’t be debated.

Also, are you suggesting that this person pick up his life - kids, spouse, job, and just move them close to Storrs solely tor the purpose of going to uconn games ? I’m not really sure thats savvy prioritizing.
That's a lame argument because if you are driving in from Fairfield County, the only place you are going to hit traffic is on the Merritt or I-95. Once you get to I-91, you are fine. So I don't buy the traffic argument. If you are coming from Fairfield and you are going to put up with the traffic to drive to Hartford, you can put up with the traffic to drive to Storrs. There is ZERO traffic (let alone cars) on 384 and 44. There is ZERO rationale for having games at the XL. It's a disservice to recruits and a disservice to the game day experience.

Reaction Score
That's a lame argument because if you are driving in from Fairfield County, the only place you are going to hit traffic is on the Merritt or I-95. Once you get to I-91, you are fine. So I don't buy the traffic argument. If you are coming from Fairfield and you are going to put up with the traffic to drive to Hartford, you can put up with the traffic to drive to Storrs. There is ZERO traffic (let alone cars) on 384 and 44. There is ZERO rationale for having games at the XL. It's a disservice to recruits and a disservice to the game day experience.
Harford traffic much?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Harford traffic much?

You dont even need to hit it, take rte 3 to rte 2 before hitting the city on 91 if Traffic is heavy, the rte 2 to 84E interchange moves along.

Reaction Score
You dont even need to hit it, take rte 3 to rte 2 before hitting the city on 91 if Traffic is heavy, the rte 2 to 84E interchange moves along.
Hartford traffic doesn't stay in Hartford city limits. You've done I-91N in rush hour? I have.

Reaction Score
Hartford traffic doesn't stay in Hartford city limits. You've done I-91N in rush hour? I have.
OK, say this was the case. It impacts both your commute to the XL and Gampel, not just your Gampel commute. So it seems to be a moot point.

Not trying to criticize you, John, as I appreciate you making the drive to support the Huskies (and apologies if it comes across that way). I'll end with saying try driving to Gampel via Rte 3 to Rte 2 to 384 to 44. See what you think. The police do such a great job filtering traffic out after the game as well so there is really even no need to leave early "to beat the crowd" either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
People more worried about the extra 20mins instead of a much better atmosphere and winning games.
That's a lot of misinformation packed into one sentence. It's 35 minutes between venues. So it's actually over an hour wextra and that's significant on a work night, was for me anyway. And Gampel is not a much better atmosphere, the winning percentage is about the same. I went to the OSU game and for a nice win it was pretty tame. A few big cheers after a couple long 3's. Didn't even cheer when the team came on to the court for the 2nd half. Meh. Apparently things get better there when you ply the crowd with liquor.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The police do such a great job filtering traffic out after the game as well so there is really even no need to leave early "to beat the crowd" either.

Well thats not true. Leaving after the providence game wednesday took a LONG time.

Reaction Score

I used the HOV lane both ways every work day for 3 years and never was ticketed. Use this information how you will.

Reaction Score
I’d prefer UConn play on its campus turf. That said, the “losses”are government fiction because if UConn wasn’t subsidizing it then it would be subsidized another way. The reality is the XL Center is a dump and needs to be rebuilt as a class A facility. The yard goats do well because they did it right. What they need to do is get a professional anchor tenant (NHL/NBA) and have the state get behind it.

Reaction Score
What they need to do is get a professional anchor tenant (NHL/NBA) and have the state get behind it.
Not happening.

Don't care much for the money aspect. It's all funny accounting and money being moved between two state entities. I would prefer we play at Gampel because Gampel is a better atmosphere and college events should be mostly for college students. Just make all the XL games over Winter Break. I don't think it is that hard to understand how that schedule is the most beneficial to everyone involved.

Reaction Score
I’d prefer UConn play on its campus turf. That said, the “losses”are government fiction because if UConn wasn’t subsidizing it then it would be subsidized another way. The reality is the XL Center is a dump and needs to be rebuilt as a class A facility. The yard goats do well because they did it right. What they need to do is get a professional anchor tenant (NHL/NBA) and have the state get behind it.
There is no chance Hartford ever gets a major league franchise again. John Rowland blew it with The Whalers by playing hardball with the Karmanos and his delirious fantasy of getting the Patriots. Don't know how many here remember but Hartford was alive in the 80's and 90's until the politicians got involved. I will be ticked for the rest of my life they let The Whale leave town.

Reaction Score
I disagree that there is not traffic on Route 6 or Route 44. I used to see traffic backed up on 44 sometimes to the Notch. Fortunately, I knew the back way. And getting out of Gampel is no picnic if you stay to end of game which I always do.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I disagree that there is not traffic on Route 6 or Route 44. I used to see traffic backed up on 44 sometimes to the Notch. Fortunately, I knew the back way. And getting out of Gampel is no picnic if you stay to end of game which I always do.
I'm lol'ing at comments like these.

East of the river is basically Mordor to you snowflakes.

Reaction Score
There is no chance Hartford ever gets a major league franchise again. John Rowland blew it with The Whalers by playing hardball with the Karmanos and his delirious fantasy of getting the Patriots. Don't know how many here remember but Hartford was alive in the 80's and 90's until the politicians got involved. I will be ticked for the rest of my life they let The Whale leave town.
Karmanos (and the NHL) were leaving Hartford regardless of what Connecticut did to keep them here. It was a done deal.

Reaction Score
I'm lol'ing at comments like these.

East of the river is basically Mordor to you snowflakes.
Well smart guy, have you ever been in stuck in traffic West of the Notch because the roadway was covered in ice. Cars were sliding sideways while stopped. I ain't no snowflake and will gladly meet you to settle it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Well smart guy, have you ever been in stuck in traffic West of the Notch because the roadway was covered in ice. Cars were sliding sideways while stopped. I ain't no snowflake and will gladly meet you to settle it.
Lighten up Francis...

Bolton should really do something about that permanently iced-up portion of 44, I agree.

LMAO

Reaction Score
Please, someone, explain this to me.

Why does UCONN pay to play in Hartford rather than Hartford paying UCONN to play in Hartford? It makes Zero sense to me. UCONN needs to go big. Hartford needs to go big. Put this XL Center nonsense to rest.

Who cuts the check to pay for the huge deficit the athletic department churns out every year?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn is probably the only athletic department with national aspirations where a significant part of the fan base considers traffic to be a deal-breaker for their support.

You would think that ten years after being left behind in realignment in part due to ‘game day atmosphere’ these folks would have realized that their desire to avoid a few extra exits on 84 and the state’s desire for the school to prop up a dead city has been ruinous.

But go on, tell me about your commute.

Reaction Score
Who cuts the check to pay for the huge deficit the athletic department churns out every year?
Certainly not Hartford. The question remains. Why should our State U pay to play in Hartford?

Reaction Score
Certainly not Hartford. The question remains. Why should our State U pay to play in Hartford?

The state pays for the deficit, so in reality the state pays to play in Hartford. Why is this so hard to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom