Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial) | The Boneyard

Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“A university spokeswoman told the school newspaper that UConn spent about $4 million playing in these arenas in the last academic”

“The university pays rent at the XL Center, about $40,000 per basketball game, which adds up. The school also gets nothing from concessions or parking, as it would if the games were held on campus.

All this would be interesting if somewhat academic were it not for the enormous deficits the UConn athletic department has been running up lately, which totaled $53 million in the last fiscal year.”

No reason to have more than 2 major games a year at XL. The chatter and results show that Gampel is superior (wifi is equal).

Reaction Score
You XL center fans - How does it feel to make UConn students subsidize your favorite watering hole because you're too effen lazy to drive 20 minutes out of the city?

You disgust me.

Actual UConn fans disgust you? That's very nice!

This does show a very good reason to play there less but your reaction here is ridiculous at best!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You XL center fans - How does it feel to make UConn students subsidize your favorite watering hole because you're too effen lazy to drive 20 minutes out of the city?

You disgust me.
I like how it’s the XL Center’s fault that the school is operating at a year to year 50M deficit.

Any freshman in accounting can tell you that is asinine.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Nice attempt at a sidestep, embezzler.
Is that not a fact? If UConn doesn’t like the XL Center deal go play on campus, or renegotiate the deal.

They clearly don’t want to play all games on campus because they’ll alienate more than half their fans. Or else this would’ve been done already. Believe it or not, the casual fan is unlikely to drive the extra 30 minutes to Gampel.

So go renegotiate the deal. UConn holds the upper hand, without them the XL Center is dead.

Reaction Score
Is that not a fact? If UConn doesn’t like the XL Center deal go play on campus, or renegotiate the deal.

They clearly don’t want to play all games on campus because they’ll alienate more than half their fans. Or else this would’ve been done already. Believe it or not, the causal fan is unlikely to drive the extra 30 minutes to Gampel.

So go renegotiate the deal. UConn holds the upper hand, without them the XL Center is dead.
I think everyone involved in UConn athletics has made it very clear they want to play all games on campus

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You disgust me.
UConn could get rid of handful useless adminisration officials and make up the difference. You have serious personal issues.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

They clearly don’t want to play all games on campus because they’ll alienate more than half their fans. Or else this would’ve been done already. Believe it or not, the causal fan is unlikely to drive the extra 30 minutes to Gampel.

The legislature calls all the shots. UConn is simply told how it's gonna be. I know for a fact every UConn administration of the past two decades has been dead set against it, but have been and are powerless to change anything.

Hey if you're ok with ripping off college kids, fine. But just be aware that's what you're doing.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The legislature calls all the shots. UConn is simply told how it's gonna be. I know for a fact every UConn administration of the past two decades has been dead set against it, but have been and are powerless to change anything.

Hey if you're ok with ripping off college kids, fine. But just be aware that's what you're doing.
I’m not the one charging exuberant student fees for athletics. UConn got themself into the deficit with reckless spending and failed opportunities.

UConn plays in Hartford because they get funding from the state and they want to increase their fan base. You want to pivot to playing all the games on campus? Bye bye money. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Reaction Score
UConn could get rid of handful useless adminisration officials and make up the difference. You have serious personal issues.

Who are the useless administrators who are making $10 mill apiece annually.

They clearly don’t want to play all games on campus because they’ll alienate more than half their fans. Or else this would’ve been done already. Believe it or not, the casual fan is unlikely to drive the extra 30 minutes to Gampel.

Good points. Not to mention the ridiculous parking situation where the garage across the street from Gampel sits empty.

Reaction Score
Why haven’t they? It’s been almost 30 years and that hasn’t been done…
Because I don't think it's strictly an athletics decision. For some reason the administration feels differently

Reaction Score
Having a large venue that is easily accessable to state residents is a common practice in college basketball. It gives many thousands of people the opportunity to connect in person with the university. It's good smart marketing. Schools recognize this, that's why they do it. Playing in the city has helped both Hartford and UConn.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Then good riddance to those fake fans
We sell out because fake fans buy tickets.
Because I don't think it's strictly an athletics decision. For some reason the administration feels differently
The administration needs to step up and renegotiate the deal. We send amateur lawyers and businessmen to these conversations and get taken advantage of.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Actual UConn fans disgust you? That's very nice!

This does show a very good reason to play there less but your reaction here is ridiculous at best!
The only thing ridiculous here is the albatross hanging around UConn athletics' neck that is the XL Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom