Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The only thing ridiculous here is the albatross hanging around UConn athletics' neck that is the XL Center.
4M is roughly 7.5% of the athletics deficit. The school could’ve saved 3 years of leasing fees at the XL Center if we didn’t drag Kevin Ollie to court and get embarrassed.

Do stupid stuff and get stupid results. We spend very haphazardly.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
4M is roughly 7.5% of the athletics deficit. The school could’ve saved 3 years of leasing fees at the XL Center if we didn’t drag Kevin Ollie to court and get embarrassed.

Do stupid stuff and get stupid results. We spend very haphazardly.
The real issue is that we are not in a power conference. If we were getting 35 million a year like ACC schools and didn't have the Ollie thing over our head, our deficit would be about 5 million. We would be fine. That is the issue.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The real issue is that we are not in a power conference. If we were getting 35 million a year like ACC schools and didn't have the Ollie thing over our head, our deficit would be about 5 million. We would be fine. That is the issue.
Exactly. I referenced earlier about how we missed opportunities, was referring to conference realignment. Administration and athletics dropped the ball.

We spend like a P5 when we are not one. I get it - we need to spend to be competitive, but that comes with a large price tag.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Exactly. I referenced earlier about how we missed opportunities, was referring to conference realignment. Administration and athletics dropped the ball.

We spend like a P5 when we are not one. I get it - we need to spend to be competitive, but that comes with a large price tag.
It's worth it because we need to keep up for when the ACC has defections in the future.

Reaction Score
The university is in the woods in a lightly populated area of the state. Other Big East schools also play off campus (Villanova, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Georgetown) so there is precedent.
Add Xavier, DePaul, Marquette, and Creighton.

Reaction Score
The real issue is that we are not in a power conference. If we were getting 35 million a year like ACC schools. We would be fine. That is the issue.

Yes, that is the issue and it’s also something we have no control over. The administration and the BOT accepted reality after the failed AAC experiment and the accompanying decline of football and came back to the Bug East with the accompanying resurgence of the basketball program. The current deficit is going to force more reality based cost cutting decisions. No business would maintain a division which lost money at this rate. Maybe they continue to spend in hopes of lightning striking with conference realignment, but if it doesn’t, there are going to be some hard choices after this latest round if TV contract renegotiations are done. The football deficits alone represent 25% of the problem. There is no way that increases in student tuition should make up this expenditure-revenue gap. It’s embarrassing to see what the cost of higher education is at a public college in the state with the highest per capital income in the country. Compare our tuition + R&B with costs at much poorer states. Embarrassing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are always going to split the games I’ve been told by someone who is in a position to know. At least for the immediate and a bit longer future. I’m against that. Totally. Have been for over 20 years. But it is what it is. The best we can hope for is a renegotiation. And that will be messed up I’m sure.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are always going to split the games I’ve been told by someone who is in a position to know. At least for the immediate and a bit longer future. I’m against that. Totally. Have been for over 20 years. But it is what it is. The best we can hope for is a renegotiation. And that will be messed up I’m sure.
I agree on a renegotiation to lower the cost, but it is all an accounting trick anyway.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Need to send the right people to the table!

Reaction Score
Or Big Ten (fingers crossed).

Reports are that the B1G will be adding Oregon & Washington. That will put them at 18. I doubt that they’re going beyond that. Especially since we’re unlikely to represent value added since value us all about football.

Reaction Score
That is actually very true. State and university money flows both ways, they will just shift the columns on a spreadsheet.

I think he’s talking about athletes’ scholarships being treated as added costs when putting an additional student it 2 in any given class is unlikely to cost them anything.

Reaction Score
The solution is pretty easy. UConn should play 2 less games at XL every year until someone goes in and fixes that dumpster fire. That gives roughly 5 years for the state to figure out how to fix the XL. All those commenting about UConn “having their cake and eating it too” it’s the same for the state. You want UConn to keep playing in Hartford? Fix the damn stadium (ideally tear it down and build something state-of-the-art). There’s a ton of space there because the previous mall area is also sitting empty. Some smart developer can come in and create a great game day experience.

If ESPN weren’t anti-UConn it would also be a great opportunity for them to have their own sponsored stadium with a presence in Hartford where they can do College Gameday, host NCAA tournaments, etc. You could even go big and build something like the Carrier Dome that could also be used for Football. Unfortunately we have a bunch of small minded pea brain people in state offices that will never get this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom