Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When? Gampel. Because that is exactly what happened.
Gampel, Rentschler, my bathroom, my patio, and the old baseball field.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gampel, Rentschler, my bathroom, my patio, and the old baseball field.
LOL Gampel was expanded. Rentschler has never had a need to go over 40,000. Not sure about your patio, but I’m sure to be more convenient for you to see games there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BS. Not in 2011. We averaged 36k at the rent that year. Our “atmosphere” was just fine.

Unless anyone wants to show me stadium plans for a 50k on campus stadium, any of this left at the foot of Hartford vs Storrs is just revisionist nonsense.

This is where this board gets stupid.

The ACC told us it was not fine and we were left behind.

Revisionism is pretending that it was not a factor.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I don't think that The Rent was materially worse than the Carrier Dome and Heinz Field for the 2011 raid. Is that your position?

It's been beaten to death millions of times but strategically taking Pitt off the table for the Big 12 and not forcing UConn on BC just made more sense for the league.

Louisville - no argument. Their stadium and football culture is a world's different.

Reaction Score
No, in fact, the state is slashing funding.

Lamont's budget increases planned state funding for UCONN, what UCONN is losing is the temporary emergency funding it had been receiving the last couple of years because of covid. Some of the temp funding probably went to athletics because tickets were not being sold.

Of course like all government entities, once UCONN got a taste of the generous temporary funding it apparently has decided it can't live without it. So now they complain about XL as part of their negotiations. It's a very weak argument.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Says the townie. The people’s republic of Mansfield is 1000x more culpable in any of this than any other state region or entity. You guys want bucolic and shut down progress. Then, you make fun of nobody wanting to come to a place where a tome was just written how you couldn’t even get a decent dinner there.

Listen, I love coming to campus. Do it whenever I can. But to have you laughing at people when they’re not thrilled to head up there on a weeknight is a little rich.
Bah. Both contribute to this. The state works to coerce UConn into keeping XL afloat and Mansfield works to decrease accessibility to UConn and the desirability of going there at all. Both are true. They are co-conspirators in this disaster.

To move all basketball and football on campus, 195 needs to be improved. Also, a more robust commercial zoned area needs to extend from campus to 44. Build out 4 corners massively with apartments, restaurants, bars, a live music venue, a movie theater, a brewpub, grocery store, shops and run constant shuttles to campus from there day and night. Build a parking garage there for game days. The state needs to kick Mansfield’s butt and make it happen. Declare it an empowerment zone or something.

If they did that, and did it properly, it would quickly become one of the more popular places to live in the state. Research based employers would set up nearby, and housing demand would go way up. We act like Storrs is the boonies. It’s an hour and a half from Boston, an hour from Worcester, 30 minutes from Hartford, 45 to Bradley.

Reaction Score
$40,000 per game doesn't seem all that bad. You are attracting a fan base you might not get at Gampel. Then that fan base might go to campus games too.. Plus Gampel needs to get bigger and more convenient first. I rarely go to games because I can't afford to regularly and every time I go to a game in person they lose. But if I could afford season tickets from where I live XL is much more convenient. I love Gampel. I watched them build it on my way to classes. Add 5000 seats, fix the concourse and concessions, add parking and make it easier to get in and out and then you could pull out of XL.

Reaction Score
Bah. Both contribute to this. The state works to coerce UConn into keeping XL afloat and Mansfield works to decrease accessibility to UConn and the desirability of going there at all. Both are true. They are co-conspirators in this disaster.

To move all basketball and football on campus, 195 needs to be improved. Also, a more robust commercial zoned area needs to extend from campus to 44. Build out 4 corners massively with apartments, restaurants, bars, a live music venue, a movie theater, a brewpub, grocery store, shops and run constant shuttles to campus from there day and night. Build a parking garage there for game days. The state needs to kick Mansfield’s butt and make it happen. Declare it an empowerment zone or something.

If they did that, and did it properly, it would quickly become one of the more popular places to live in the state. Research based employers would set up nearby, and housing demand would go way up. We act like Storrs is the boonies. It’s an hour and a half from Boston, an hour from Worcester, 30 minutes from Hartford, 45 to Bradley.
Growing up I heard all the time that UConn is in the middle of nowhere. People in CT have no idea what the middle of nowhere means.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Growing up I heard all the time that UConn is in the middle of nowhere. People in CT have no idea what the middle of nowhere means.
I didn’t bother giving examples but anyone who has lived in bigger plains states like you and I knows the reality. The point I tried to make before when someone brought up KU to to KC is that it’s not the distance that matters. It’s that Lawrence is a blast, so you take a half day and make it an event. Storrs needs that. K-State fills Bramledge and Manhattan KS is a haul From everywhere.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Imagine any of those people living in Maine. Go find Orono. THAT is the middle of nowhere.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I didn’t bother giving examples but anyone who has lived in bigger plains states like you and I knows the reality. The point I tried to make before when someone brought up KU to to KC is that it’s not the distance that matters. It’s that Lawrence is a blast, so you take a half day and make it an event. Storrs needs that. K-State fills Bramledge and Manhattan KS is a haul From everywhere.

The easiest way to make Storrs a thing is to put things in Storrs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think that The Rent was materially worse than the Carrier Dome and Heinz Field for the 2011 raid. Is that your position?

It's been beaten to death millions of times but strategically taking Pitt off the table for the Big 12 and not forcing UConn on BC just made more sense for the league.

Louisville - no argument. Their stadium and football culture is a world's different.

JFC.

Am I the ACC?

Lord, none of you read.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

No, the ACC told us:

1) You weren't in the South
2) You weren't a "Football school"

That's it. Period. Unless Hartford is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, or we magically had a large on-campus stadium plan in secret, you're the one revising things. The ACC chose LCC because of geography and "football heritage" blah blah blah. Nothing to do with "atmosphere" or "Hartford" or whatever other tangential nonsense you want to spin up.

Reaction Score
No, the ACC told us:

That's it. Period. Unless Hartford is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, or we magically had a large on-campus stadium plan in secret, you're the one revising things. The ACC chose LCC because of geography and "football heritage" blah blah blah. Nothing to do with "atmosphere" or "Hartford" or whatever other tangential nonsense you want to spin up.
They didn’t want us because BC lobbied to make sure they didn’t want us.

Reaction Score
IMHO, UConn screwed the pooch when they built Gampel on campus. If it were at 84/195 it would hit that sweet spot between students bussing there from campus and the alums/rest of the fan base, who drive to the games.
Sorry if this offends but this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site

Reaction Score
Is it tolerable to change the tax code to make it more progressive? If yes, does it really matter in what states those people live?

I can talk to you about your red state, blue state posts, but that would violate the by no politics rules. So if you want to pm me, or not. It doesn’t matter to me one way or the other.
If I needed proof of the hypocrisy you’re willing to put forth just to jump on one of my posts, there. It is. Are you really going to try to convince people that the package of Trump tax costs was “progressive?” No honest person would. And that was my problem with it. It wasn’t raising my taxes. It was raising my taxes to give richer people a tax cut. As I made clear at the time.

Criticize away, on this or anything else, but I’m done responding to you as if you really want to have a dialogue. Because you’re proven you don’t.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, the ACC told us:

It was literally given to us as a reason.

Full stop. You can pretend otherwise, but you’re wrong.

But keep talking out of your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak