How would you rank Natalie Butler as a 2015 prospect | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How would you rank Natalie Butler as a 2015 prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SON: I'd be tempted to go that far as well. Can see her as potential AA just like Dolson. Remember, the Seton Hall coach called her THE most impressive BE player he coached against in fourteen years! That is a mighty statement.

He elaborated on that by saying his view related not only to her production but also to her maturity, poise, and demeanor FAR outdistancing the typical 18 year old. Again a mighty elaboration when you think about all the players he has seen in the BE in those many years. He also noted that AA would come as no surprise. I think we have a gem here, and her USNA upbringing just adds to my personal excitement about here addition; have always lover the Navy Blue and Gold.

Which Seton Hall coach? the current one? that would be Anthony Bozella and he has been coach @ SH for only two years, and prior to that, 11 years @ Iona College and 8 years @ LIU. How many BE teams did he coach against prior to coming to SH?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I posted the question because she will be "incoming" with the 2015 class. Therefore we could look at her vs an alternative "big" in the 2015 class. So I think it is an interesting question without getting too technical about .
Disagree, she will be coming in (playing) with/when the 2014 class are Sophs. We won't have her with the 2015 class for 4 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYER: Was thinking, along with you, that she properly belongs in the 2014 pool.
Yes she does.

That said, I'm not sure it would change things a whole lot with respect to the theme of the thread, as both '14 and '15 had some stellar players.
True, she shouldn't be ranked with incoming Freshmen, either '14 or '15. Having already played in college, she should be ranked with other college players, not high schoolers.

Reaction Score
Which Seton Hall coach? the current one? that would be Anthony Bozella and he has been coach @ SH for only two years, and prior to that, 11 years @ Iona College and 8 years @ LIU. How many BE teams did he coach against prior to coming to SH?

GOOD: That name (Bozella)rings a faint bell as the one who touted Butler. Did not know his history but nice that you do. I did feel rather certain that he referenced a 14-year period (your figures add up to 21 years) but much less certain that he SPECIFIED the BE as his sole frame of reference. Do feel almost 100% positive that he was speaking as a BE coach, however.
I do recall that the info was in a blog from The Horde (Altavilla?) around the time Butler signed on with us, if you'd like to check out the details directly. I still have a few notes I took from the article. If you do dig that Horde article up, I'd be interested to see what you discover therein.
In response to your final question, would imagine that Bozella did not see a whole lot of the BE in those other two positions. However, would be surprised if Iona, in particular, does not typically schedule a few BE teams; I've always thought of them as being a "Catholic College" (might be wrong) and obviously a lot of the BE schools were and are Catholic. Didn't they even play and get shellacked by UCONN in the past few years?
However credible/useful his vantage point might or might not be, he certainly waxed enthusiastic about Butler as a player and a person vs. other college players against whom he has coached.

Reaction Score
Who cares who she's ranked with? She has the chance to be the best big in the country. She's already ahead of Stef when it comes to rebounding and defense. She's also skilled around the basket. She may never be the outside shooter and the skilled passer that Stef is. However, with Bre, Courtney, and Katie Lou there won't be a need to shoot outside. Also, we will have some other skilled three point shooters. What she most needs to learn is how to pass from the high post. If she can accomplish that, she could be the best big in the country, which would make UConn front-runners for the next four years.

Reaction Score
GOOD: That name (Bozella)rings a faint bell as the one who touted Butler. Did not know his history but nice that you do. I did feel rather certain that he referenced a 14-year period (your figures add up to 21 years) but much less certain that he SPECIFIED the BE as his sole frame of reference. Do feel almost 100% positive that he was speaking as a BE coach, however.
I do recall that the info was in a blog from The Horde (Altavilla?) around the time Butler signed on with us, if you'd like to check out the details directly. I still have a few notes I took from the article. If you do dig that Horde article up, I'd be interested to see what you discover therein.
In response to your final question, would imagine that Bozella did not see a whole lot of the BE in those other two positions. However, would be surprised if Iona, in particular, does not typically schedule a few BE teams; I've always thought of them as being a "Catholic College" (might be wrong) and obviously a lot of the BE schools were and are Catholic. Didn't they even play and get shellacked by UCONN in the past few years?
However credible/useful his vantage point might or might not be, he certainly waxed enthusiastic about Butler as a player and a person vs. other college players against whom he has coached.

OK. You mis-remembered. Altavilla reported that with no mention of the BE. Bozella said "“Natalie was the most impressive freshmen I have coached against in my 14 years as a Division 1 head coach,”

I just thought Bozella was new to the Big East and was surprised by your statement.

Reaction Score
Let's see. . .
She's 6'5"
Played well as a freshman at Georgetown vs. D1 wcbb competition;
Will have a year of coaching by Geno and his staff while practicing with a team with NC potential; and,
Appears to be highly motivated.
She also appears to have been the answer to the fervent prayers of the UConn faithful for a replacement for Kiah when she graduates.

I believe that we could safely place her into the "likely to succeed" category.
And she has good Navy genes. ;^)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think she was 5th in the nation in rebounding. Even in the new Big East, that's impressive, especially for a freshman.

Reaction Score
OK. You mis-remembered. Altavilla reported that with no mention of the BE. Bozella said "“Natalie was the most impressive freshmen I have coached against in my 14 years as a Division 1 head coach,”

I just thought Bozella was new to the Big East and was surprised by your statement.

GOOD: I just went back and dug up the article. Was Altavilla's for sure and the statement which you quote from his very interesting article is quoted accurately, but I would point out that it ends with " SAID SETON HALL'S Tony Bozzella." I don't follow the other teams and have no knowledge of Bozzella other than what you kindly presented tonight. In fact, when I mentioned this Altavilla article awhile back, I said I thought it was perhaps a St. Johns coach who was touting her AA potential. Good call on your part to be aware of Bozzella's short tenure in the BE.
The article does go on to add that Coach B is impressed not only by her "numbers and production" but also her "poise, demeanor and maturity " that " far outdistance" those of most of her contemporaries. He adds that she was double-teamed and took constant pounding all year long, fought thru it and continued to progress....and points out how he expects her to continue to develop with this year to absorb the UCONN system and coaching. Certainly reads as though he has quite a window into her abilities and it certainly sounded to me as though that he was speaking as a BE coach. Again, good call on your part....prob why you earn the "Goodgood" title.

Reaction Score
I think she was 5th in the nation in rebounding. Even in the new Big East, that's impressive, especially for a freshman.

MILFORD: correct as usual.....and she was also the top rebounder in the BE.

Reaction Score
PS: for those who never saw the article and might enjoy it, it was dated 5-14-14 and entitled "Seton Hall's Bozzella Believes Butler Could Become An All American," or something very close to that heading.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MILFORD: correct as usual.....and she was also the top rebounder in the BE.
Thanks, Doc! Because she sits out this year, we have time to do this, but someone should look up the UConn single-season rebounding record. Yes, I'm optimistic. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks, Doc! Because she sits out this year, we have time to do this, but someone should look up the UConn single-season rebounding record. Yes, I'm optimistic. :)
Tina Charles, 372, 2009-10 (2nd is Stephanie Dolson, 371, 2013-14)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tina Charles, 372, 2009-10 (2nd is Stephanie Dolson, 371, 2013-14)
Along with Lobo at 371 (although she did it in 33 games)

For avg. you have R. Borsuk (1975-76, anyone remember her? way before my time) at 12.8 rpg
And Peggy Walsh (1985-86) at 12.5 rpg.

Reaction Score
BGIL: interesting thread; thank you. The answer is complicated by the fact that we already know so much about her at the college level and are comparing her to those with no college experience. I'll pop in some thoughts in response to other posts already on your thread.
I think the fact that we know more about her than is known about H.S. prospects is Bgillon's point. There is a degree of expectation about Natalie based on what she's accomplished in college so far and not what she did in high school. Stating the question differently, what if Natalie were coming out of high school now and displayed the skills, attitude, and work ethic she is now known to possess, where would she be ranked?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Any young lady,who played as well as she did her freshman year,and who is coming under the guidance of the Connecticut women's basketball staff,will become a very nice player,with a chance to be someone special on the court.
With one year college experience under her belt,I would have to rate her near the top of the mix coming in to play for the team.
Besides,she has the luxury of practicing a whole year,to learn the system,bond with the team,and improve.
Have to like her chances of becoming an A as she develops and matures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom