How realignment knocked Notre Dame off its pedestal (Maisel) | The Boneyard

How realignment knocked Notre Dame off its pedestal (Maisel)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference eventually, or the whole conference structure may implode as the TV rights game changes. Right now, there is significant value in being in a conference, apart from money. There is the pursuit of a conference championship, and consistency in opponents. ND has some of that with its schedule, but it isn't the same. I'm not sure that ND is the biggest game on most team's schedules anymore.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference eventually, or the whole conference structure may implode as the TV rights game changes. Right now, there is significant value in being in a conference, apart from money. There is the pursuit of a conference championship, and consistency in opponents. ND has some of that with its schedule, but it isn't the same. I'm not sure that ND is the biggest game on most team's schedules anymore.
I used to think that they'd join the ACC as a full member but these days they actually seem okay with being merely above average.

Reaction Score
ND has gone 60-31 under Brian Kelly (including 12 and 10 win seasons) in seven seasons plus this year's opener.

That record includes last year's 4-8 disaster (which sucked and I hope was an anomaly). It is not that great but maybe not quite the complete decline some people make it out to be.

I think that any ND struggles are related to coaching hires versus conference affiliation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ND has gone 60-31 under Brian Kelly (including 12 and 10 win seasons) in seven seasons plus this year's opener.

That record includes last year's 4-8 disaster (which sucked and I hope was an anomaly). It is not that great but maybe not quite the complete decline some people make it out to be.

I think that any ND struggles are related to coaching hires versus conference affiliation.

You are mostly correct Terry. I think they'll be pretty good this year, and most the bad years are due to coaching hires. I don't think Independence is anything like fatal for Notre Dame, not at all. I merely think that if you asked HS kids which programs are "cool", ND doesn't crack the top ten anymore. I think part of that is lack of conference affiliation. Honestly, if ND didn't already have strong rivalry games with schools like USC, Stanford and MSU, the program would be in more trouble. Kids want to play in big rivalry games, which mostly come in conference play. If they can keep those, they can stay as is.

Really interesting seeing Georgia on the schedule this year.

Reaction Score
You are mostly correct Terry. I think they'll be pretty good this year, and most the bad years are due to coaching hires. I don't think Independence is anything like fatal for Notre Dame, not at all. I merely think that if you asked HS kids which programs are "cool", ND doesn't crack the top ten anymore. I think part of that is lack of conference affiliation. Honestly, if ND didn't already have strong rivalry games with schools like USC, Stanford and MSU, the program would be in more trouble. Kids want to play in big rivalry games, which mostly come in conference play. If they can keep those, they can stay as is.

Really interesting seeing Georgia on the schedule this year.

That is part of ND's dual strategy of playing schools from every P5 conference and in every region of the country.

ND previously had home/home series with Texas and Oklahoma. It just signed a home/home deal with Arkansas, for instance.

That is one of the benefits of being a football independent, the scheduling flexibility to do that and play games all over.

Reaction Score

That is part of ND's dual strategy of playing schools from every P5 conference and in every region of the country.

ND previously had home/home series with Texas and Oklahoma. It just signed a home/home deal with Arkansas, for instance.

That is one of the benefits of being a football independent, the scheduling flexibility to do that and play games all over.
As long as they lose every game I'm happy.

Reaction Score
And...look what realignment has done to Texas....Maryland broke their back.

And Boise...once the winningest program of a decade.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I used to think that they'd join the ACC as a full member but these days they actually seem okay with being merely above average.
I agree and think their sweet NBC deal makes them not even care to join a conference. They're getting way more then any G5 school in terms of media money so why bother joining a conference. If NBC were to ever not renew their tv deal, I think we'd see ND join a conference real quick.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree and think their sweet NBC deal makes them not even care to join a conference. They're getting way more then any G5 school in terms of media money so why bother joining a conference. If NBC were to ever not renew their tv deal, I think we'd see ND join a conference real quick.

Exactly right.

The idea that Notre Dame is any worse off because of realignment is just false. Uconn has received the biggest chestnut kick by far. Cincy and Boise are probably numbers 2 and 3, but their chestnut kick pails in comparison...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There really is no #2 or #3.

Realignment boosted Cincy into the Big East in the first place.

They can't complain.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tonight was a perfect example of what happened to Notre Dame football...Georgia took over their stadium. The building was split down the middle which means a lot Georgia fans who prefer Georgia football to money bought their tickets from a lot Notre Dame fans who prefer money to Notre Dame football. The more passionate fan base is very apparent.

They're still a very good program, but they're not exceptional. Other programs are getting as much or more exposure and the subway fans that really built Notre Dame's rep are more a memory than a reality.

Reaction Score
Tonight was a perfect example of what happened to Notre Dame football...Georgia took over their stadium. The building was split down the middle which means a lot Georgia fans who prefer Georgia football to money bought their tickets from a lot Notre Dame fans who prefer money to Notre Dame football. The more passionate fan base is very apparent.

They're still a very good program, but they're not exceptional. Other programs are getting as much or more exposure and the subway fans that really built Notre Dame's rep are more a memory than a reality.

That happened in 2000 with Nebraska too. That was well before conference realignment. Hell, at an average of $1,200 a pop, its not hard to understand why fans sold their tickets, even though I might not like it.

It was Georgia's first trip north of the Mason Dixon line since 1965 and a "bucket list" item for Bulldog fans. They will willing to pay through the nose for tickets.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

The change you are describing is not realignment related. The college fan landscape had changed. The same thing is true for UCLA basketball, even though they remain in a very healthy PAC12.

People are rooting and playing for teams they would not have 30 years ago because all these places get media coverage and a chance at the big leagues.

Gonzaga basketball is just as viable as UCLA (and their conference sucks). Boise football or Houston football is just as viable as Notre Dame football to go to the NFL, and both their conferences suck...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where did I say that it was related to realignment?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Where did I say that it was related to realignment?

Probably the part where you started your statement with, "Tonight was a perfect example of what happened to Notre Dame football" in a thread about Notre Dame football being negatively affected by realignment...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Probably the part where you started your statement with, "Tonight was a perfect example of what happened to Notre Dame football" in a thread about Notre Dame football being negatively affected by realignment...

Darned shame you stopped reading there.

The next paragraph would have saved you two posts and counting.

Reaction Score
This board, if taken in context, is understandable...

We, if we are honest with ourselves, know that some threads/posts are just expressions of those hackneyed stages of grief thing...

Starting with Anger...

Anger...the BY will hate on Notre Dame, Swoffford, ACC, Boston College, Louisville, Tranghese, ESPN etc. All and any who are deemed responsible for the dissolution of the OBE. I have finally come to understand that there will be outbursts of anger that are really an expression of emotion and no rational discussion adds to the intent (including this rational post).

Reaction Score
This board, if taken in context, is understandable...

We, if we are honest with ourselves, know that some threads/posts are just expressions of those hackneyed stages of grief thing...

Starting with Anger...

Anger...the BY will hate on Notre Dame, Swoffford, ACC, Boston College, Louisville, Tranghese, ESPN etc. All and any who are deemed responsible for the dissolution of the OBE. I have finally come to understand that there will be outbursts of anger that are really an expression of emotion and no rational discussion adds to the intent (including this rational post).
You forgot FSU. They are not an etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom