Here's a quiz about Napheesa Collier... 100% is only acceptable score. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Here's a quiz about Napheesa Collier... 100% is only acceptable score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like this a lot, until the last 7 words. Of course, every fan of every teams wants to end the season with a final game win. But even if UConn doesn't (as you rightly say, odds are against it), it will be a great time to see Geno have to actually earn his salary (just kidding: he earns it already, but now no one will dispute it). And, what's really cool about 2016-2017 is appreciating that, however good it is this year, UConn will be even the more awesome in 2017-2018.
As Geno and ALL Uconn fans I don't like to see them lose (I don't play for Geno). However there is so much more in losses to comment on (kidding). It will be interesting to see Mulkey all over herself if she beat Uconn or ND fans yahoo and the Courant once again saying Muffet has Geno's number (yuk).

Reaction Score
BoradwayVA - like it. But as I posted long ago with respect to Butler, by the time she was actually able to get back on the court, the team had completely shifted away from whatever they had started to install prior to her injury and she was uniquely different from everyone else who was playing her position in her absence. If she is able to remain healthy this coming preseason and through the season, I do expect to see both a different Natalie on the court and a different offense being run to maximize her unique qualities as a player. By December of last year when she was cleared to play, she was coming into an already established rotation that was working very well, and she was sort of left in the cold to struggle along at the end of the bench.
No argument, all you say is correct. But allow me to see something differently. Players, BB players with lots of experience (Div 1), if healthy, no matter the rotation if they have practiced with and watched practices intently should be able to slide into the rotation with minimal effect on themselves or the team. Pro players are just experienced players who get paid--and they are expected to enter the "rotation" even after injuries and perform. (A long stretch I know). So to me there must be more than the injury or the unfamiliarity of playing in a certain rotation.
Having said that--I shall cheer loudly and often if Butler performs as we were initially led to believe. It is a certainty that she is needed to perform at a very high level. And as you say Geno will have a "play or two" set up for her to score or defend a more athletic player for her "unique qualities". This year she will be a Red Shirt Junior--that should say experienced. I hope I am wrong and you (all) are right.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like this a lot, until the last 7 words. Of course, every fan of every teams wants to end the season with a final game win. But even if UConn doesn't (as you rightly say, odds are against it), it will be a great time to see Geno have to actually earn his salary (just kidding: he earns it already, but now no one will dispute it). And, what's really cool about 2016-2017 is appreciating that, however good it is this year, UConn will be even the more awesome in 2017-2018.

Let us not forget the year Geno went to the final four with only six players. I believe it was the 2010-2011 season. Senior Lauren Dixon was the only player that came off the bench for Geno after the Christmas break.
Samarie Walker left the team at the end of the first semester (December) for Kentucky, Heather Buck was injured. That left two freshmen: Lauren Engeln & Michala Johnson on the bench along with Dixon.
The starting five: Tiffany Hayes, Bria Hartley, Maya Moore, Stefanie Dolson and Kelly Faris, knew they were expected to play all 40 minutes, could not get tired, could not get in foul trouble and could not get hurt.

Down to eight players after the break, and yet Geno guided his team to the final four. He did more with less. I thought HE should have received "coach of the year" for the job he did that year. It would be a fair statement to say that Geno earned his salary that season. How many other coaches could take their team that far dressing only 8 players, 4 of which were freshmen (Hartley & Dolson)? The fact that they went as far as they did, is a testament to those starting 5 along with Geno and his staff. UConn succumbed to Notre Dame 72-63 in the semi-final game.

In contrast to that season, 2016-2017 should usher in a team with an unlimited potential for Geno and staff to work with. I'm expecting nothing less that a sweet 16 appearance in the BIG Boogie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No argument, all you say is correct. But allow me to see something differently. Players, BB players with lots of experience (Div 1), if healthy, no matter the rotation if they have practiced with and watched practices intently should be able to slide into the rotation with minimal effect on themselves or the team. Pro players are just experienced players who get paid--and they are expected to enter the "rotation" even after injuries and perform. (A long stretch I know). So to me there must be more than the injury or the unfamiliarity of playing in a certain rotation.
Having said that--I shall cheer loudly and often if Butler performs as we were initially led to believe. It is a certainty that she is needed to perform at a very high level. And as you say Geno will have a "play or two" set up for her to score or defend a more athletic player for her "unique qualities". This year she will be a Red Shirt Junior--that should say experienced. I hope I am wrong and you (all) are right.
I think you are correct in most respects, but Butler compared to Tuck and Stewart is fundamentally different - they depend on speed, and three point shooting, and motion on offense, and were capable of defending guards and wings on defense so they could switch on every screen. The team got into those defensive and offensive rhythms, and suddenly you had a big, back to the basket, post up kind of center in the game who did not have the quickness to defend 15+ feet from the basket, so offense which depended on 5 players threatening to drive or shoot from distance, and defense that depended on Moriah switching with Stewart and Tuck on every screen, was asked to find a compromise. It didn't look pretty most of the time.

A comparison would be the struggles MN had last year when in mid-season they completed the trade for Sylvia Fowles - she ended up being the finals MVP, but the team really struggle for the 6 weeks or so prior to the playoffs, figuring out how to use her strengths and cover her weaknesses - and that was a very mature team and a very mature player.

Reaction Score
I think you are correct in most respects, but Butler compared to Tuck and Stewart is fundamentally different - they depend on speed, and three point shooting, and motion on offense, and were capable of defending guards and wings on defense so they could switch on every screen. The team got into those defensive and offensive rhythms, and suddenly you had a big, back to the basket, post up kind of center in the game who did not have the quickness to defend 15+ feet from the basket, so offense which depended on 5 players threatening to drive or shoot from distance, and defense that depended on Moriah switching with Stewart and Tuck on every screen, was asked to find a compromise. It didn't look pretty most of the time.

A comparison would be the struggles MN had last year when in mid-season they completed the trade for Sylvia Fowles - she ended up being the finals MVP, but the team really struggle for the 6 weeks or so prior to the playoffs, figuring out how to use her strengths and cover her weaknesses - and that was a very mature team and a very mature player.

Your first paragraph is exactly my point--Butler, isn't as mobile, not a terrific defender --she does have assets: Size (takes up territory) and she shoots well. If she has not progressed significantly beyond last March she, in my estimation, will get less PT than Collier or Gabby. Geno has stated, often, Geno's method of defense will change little--seamless switching is one of his trademark--as you have said ; he'll design his defense and offense, if he wants or needs a specific player, for that player. This November shall be worth the price just to see who and how's with this years team--including Butler.

All these have been great posts--and in each I learn a bit more. Thanks

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Your first paragraph is exactly my point--Butler, isn't as mobile, not a terrific defender --she does have assets: Size (takes up territory) and she shoots well. If she has not progressed significantly beyond last March she, in my estimation, will get less PT than Collier or Gabby. Geno has stated, often, Geno's method of defense will change little--seamless switching is one of his trademark--as you have said ; he'll design his defense and offense, if he wants or needs a specific player, for that player. This November shall be worth the price just to see who and how's with this years team--including Butler.

All these have been great posts--and in each I learn a bit more. Thanks
It really only became a 'trademark' when Stef Dolson graduated - before that with Stef, and with Tina before her, he seldom ran seamless switching defense because putting Stef or Tina on the perimeter guarding a quick player was a disaster. With them he always ran hedge and recover defense which is what i expect with Butler.

Reaction Score
It really only became a 'trademark' when Stef Dolson graduated - before that with Stef, and with Tina before her, he seldom ran seamless switching defense because putting Stef or Tina on the perimeter guarding a quick player was a disaster. With them he always ran hedge and recover defense which is what i expect with Butler.

It would appear you are correct once again! I suspect too that, if he chooses to use Butler, her lack of foot speed will need to be masked in some manner. In Tina's first 2 years Geno had so many issues (apparently) with Tina
I failed to note her lack of defense. She did turn out nicely didn't she?
Switching defense, along with Zone trapping, has been around since before I played BB--150 years ago--it was a square ball with laces !

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would appear you are correct once again! I suspect too that, if he chooses to use Butler, her lack of foot speed will need to be masked in some manner. In Tina's first 2 years Geno had so many issues (apparently) with Tina
I failed to note her lack of defense. She did turn out nicely didn't she?
Switching defense, along with Zone trapping, has been around since before I played BB--150 years ago--it was a square ball with laces !
I would expect Geno to limit Natalie's exposure on the perimeter by playing much more zone defense. Next to sharing the basketball the biggest team activity at UCONN is rebounding. When you have a team that rebounds as well as UCONN that allows you to play more zone. On a rebounds per minutes played basis Gabby Williams, Napheessa Collier, and Natalie Butler are among the best in WCBB.

Reaction Score
I would expect Geno to limit Natalie's exposure on the perimeter by playing much more zone defense. Next to sharing the basketball the biggest team activity at UCONN is rebounding. When you have a team that rebounds as well as UCONN that allows you to play more zone. On a rebounds per minutes played basis Gabby Williams, Napheessa Collier, and Natalie Butler are among the best in WCBB.
Thanks---I read last season that Napheesa's teammates called her the ball magnet because of her rebounding--and we saw how inch for inch she is among the best. But that's just me, there isn't much about Ms Collier that I don't like. It is nice to read that Natalie in Rebound/minute is among the best in WCBB!! I surely would like to see Natalie Butler, a Virginian, to succeed big time in the WCBB big time team..

Reaction Score
Let us not forget the year Geno went to the final four with only six players. I believe it was the 2010-2011 season. Senior Lauren Dixon was the only player that came off the bench for Geno after the Christmas break.
Samarie Walker left the team at the end of the first semester (December) for Kentucky, Heather Buck was injured. That left two freshmen: Lauren Engeln & Michala Johnson on the bench along with Dixon.
The starting five: Tiffany Hayes, Bria Hartley, Maya Moore, Stefanie Dolson and Kelly Faris, knew they were expected to play all 40 minutes, could not get tired, could not get in foul trouble and could not get hurt.

Down to eight players after the break, and yet Geno guided his team to the final four. He did more with less. I thought HE should have received "coach of the year" for the job he did that year. It would be a fair statement to say that Geno earned his salary that season. How many other coaches could take their team that far dressing only 8 players, 4 of which were freshmen (Hartley & Dolson)? The fact that they went as far as they did, is a testament to those starting 5 along with Geno and his staff. UConn succumbed to Notre Dame 72-63 in the semi-final game.

In contrast to that season, 2016-2017 should usher in a team with an unlimited potential for Geno and staff to work with. I'm expecting nothing less that a sweet 16 appearance in the BIG Boogie.

Great memory--I enjoyed this posting!! Engeln and injured Johnson provided nothing to that team. Samarie was a good,very good player--but had a special friend on Kentucky. Dixon, all 3 feet of her (yea she was taller but on TV looked like 3 ft) was speed on wheels and made some significant plays for Geno. Poor Maya--no bench and not much help in the final game--I think she got like 35 point--but not enough. Maya is the type of player and person fans fall in love with--and even in the Olympics. Thanks for this--nice memory--it lets us Uconn fans know we can still honor players in a lost game.

Geno has scheduled some tough teams long before I believe the UCWBB team shall be ready for them--I think this is Brilliant! His team will learn what they have to do to beat the teams that they fall to--and if they don't their confidence shall carry them further in the NCAA. Is he the master or what?????

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sorry. It's been a long off-season. Confused Napheesa with Gabby Williams. Napheesa was a major talent in high school days in the high jump and triple jump, finishing . But it was Gabby Williams who was a threat to make the Olympic team for the high jump in 2012. She then hurt her knee, and has stuck to basketball since. So perhaps Gabby Williams was thinking about what could have been this month while watching the Olympics.

Napheesa was not only a high jumper and triple jumper, but also an excellent high school sprinter, and was on her high school's 4x400 relay team. One of the best in the state in each event.
I know they're both worth the price of admission just to see them run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom