Here's a quiz about Napheesa Collier... 100% is only acceptable score. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here's a quiz about Napheesa Collier... 100% is only acceptable score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno's got 3 starting spots to fill. Gabby and Collier filling two of those spots is a no brainer. Who fills the 5th spot? And if Collier does not start, then who does?

PG, Nurse, KLS. So, two spots for Butler, Gabby, Collier. We know Geno sorta sees Williams and Collier similarly so not sure they both start.

Unless Geno goes Nurse at PG which I wouldn't rule out though it's not her best position. That would change everything.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
PG, Nurse, KLS. So, two spots for Butler, Gabby, Collier. We know Geno sorta sees Williams and Collier similarly so not sure they both start.

Unless Geno goes Nurse at PG which I wouldn't rule out though it's not her best position. That would change everything.
I will predict that Kia will indeed be the point guard in the upcoming season. We don't know whether that is her best position; we only know that she wasn't going to play there in either of the last two years since an all-world talent already occupied that position. It seemed to me that Kia was effectively the PG for the Canadian team, although that team did not strongly differentiate the 1 and 2 positions.

That would lead to an initial starting lineup of Kia, Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, and Natalie. I don't think it's realistic to think that Crystal could become the starting PG as a freshman -- even Moriah couldn't do that. Crystal will get her 12-15 minutes as Kia's backup, and that will often be done with Kia remaining in the game and moving over to the 2.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I will predict that Kia will indeed be the point guard in the upcoming season. We don't know whether that is her best position;

I feel very comfortable saying PG isn't her best position.

Reaction Score
Me too. The immediate question that comes to mind is, if not Phee, then who? Phee and Gabby were the first two off the bench last year. Towards the end of the year, when the bench shrank, they were the only two off the bench.

Geno's got 3 starting spots to fill. Gabby and Collier filling two of those spots is a no brainer. Who fills the 5th spot? And if Collier does not start, then who does?
If Phee doesn't start for us this year I'd say a fifth NC must be in the bag.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will predict that Kia will indeed be the point guard in the upcoming season. We don't know whether that is her best position; we only know that she wasn't going to play there in either of the last two years since an all-world talent already occupied that position. It seemed to me that Kia was effectively the PG for the Canadian team, although that team did not strongly differentiate the 1 and 2 positions.

That would lead to an initial starting lineup of Kia, Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, and Natalie. I don't think it's realistic to think that Crystal could become the starting PG as a freshman -- even Moriah couldn't do that. Crystal will get her 12-15 minutes as Kia's backup, and that will often be done with Kia remaining in the game and moving over to the 2.
Moriah came into a team with a two year starter at point guard in front of her, Sue came into a team that had just graduated Rita and started the first eight games until a knee injury sidelined her, Nicole came into a team that had just graduated Sue and started the first ten games before a knee injury sidelined her, Renee came into a team with no established PG and started 35 of 37 games as a freshman, and Bria came into a team that had lost Caroline to injury again and started 34 of 38 games. And Caroline came into a team that had graduated Swanier and Thomas and started her first 17 games until she went down.

No idea if Crystal is 'good enough' to start, but if she is, it will not be unheard of for her to get into the starting line-up as a freshman. Kia is more naturally a two guard and the team will be more effective if one of the best players on the team isn't playing out of position even if that means Crystal is promoted earlier in her career than might be ideal.

We all have this notion that even the all time greats in Uconn history start their careers on the bench - DT and Maya did not start as freshman is the mantra - but that was because they didn't have to - DT came into a team with Sveta, and Shea, and TASS and Kelly and Kenitra - it wasn't until the injuries started mounting that DT went from the bench to the starting rotation. Maya cane into a team with Charles and Greene, and Montgomery, and Thomas, and Hunter, and Houston, and it wasn't until Greene went down that Moore got her first start. Stewart came into a team with Stef and Bria, and KML, and Faris, Doty and didn't start for the first half of the season. But other players like Tina and Stef presented the 'best option' available at their position as freshman and started immediately. It is less about the freshman and more about the team they join - if there is a viable option in front of them, the preference is to bring them off the bench, if there isn't, then they start.

For Crystal, maybe Chong steps up, or maybe Geno goes huge and starts Lou as a guard, but I suspect she may be the best starting option from day one.

Reaction Score
Me too. The immediate question that comes to mind is, if not Phee, then who? Phee and Gabby were the first two off the bench last year. Towards the end of the year, when the bench shrank, they were the only two off the bench.

If Chong is healthy, she is the most experienced, and Butler (with bigger less mobile teams)
it would appear the new kids have a very good chance of playing time.
Butler is a fair to good rebounder if paired with Collier her limitations would not be visible. As a big body, with another year to learn to use it, she could be a factor. The kid can shoot .
Although my vote is no longer valid (Geno took it away 8 years ag0- saying-youre no John Wooden)
still Geno loves Collier and Gabby and Katie Lou--I'll put 35 cent in a bet they shall start.

Reaction Score
Moriah came into a team with a two year starter at point guard in front of her, Sue came into a team that had just graduated Rita and started the first eight games until a knee injury sidelined her, Nicole came into a team that had just graduated Sue and started the first ten games before a knee injury sidelined her, Renee came into a team with no established PG and started 35 of 37 games as a freshman, and Bria came into a team that had lost Caroline to injury again and started 34 of 38 games. And Caroline came into a team that had graduated Swanier and Thomas and started her first 17 games until she went down.

No idea if Crystal is 'good enough' to start, but if she is, it will not be unheard of for her to get into the starting line-up as a freshman. Kia is more naturally a two guard and the team will be more effective if one of the best players on the team isn't playing out of position even if that means Crystal is promoted earlier in her career than might be ideal.

We all have this notion that even the all time greats in Uconn history start their careers on the bench - DT and Maya did not start as freshman is the mantra - but that was because they didn't have to - DT came into a team with Sveta, and Shea, and TASS and Kelly and Kenitra - it wasn't until the injuries started mounting that DT went from the bench to the starting rotation. Maya cane into a team with Charles and Greene, and Montgomery, and Thomas, and Hunter, and Houston, and it wasn't until Greene went down that Moore got her first start. Stewart came into a team with Stef and Bria, and KML, and Faris, Doty and didn't start for the first half of the season. But other players like Tina and Stef presented the 'best option' available at their position as freshman and started immediately. It is less about the freshman and more about the team they join - if there is a viable option in front of them, the preference is to bring them off the bench, if there isn't, then they start.

For Crystal, maybe Chong steps up, or maybe Geno goes huge and starts Lou as a guard, but I suspect she may be the best starting option from day one.
Using your analysis of Frosh starting---I suggest that Crystal if she does not start she'll come off the bench first and relieve Chong. In at least one NCAA game Chong was less than great handling the press. Her experience, if her scoring returns, she has the potential to be very good--but alas she had had that potential for over 3 years now.
Some good Freshman (Uconn) guards became less after injuries.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even the great Maya Moore didn't start at the beginning of her freshman season. Geno's rationale was that, when he brought her off the bench, no team had another bench player who could match up. Hell, no team had a starter who could match up! As we know, injuries to Mel and Kalana thinned the roster, and Maya moved into the starting lineup. How did that turn out? She went from nonstarter to second in the AP POY voting behind Candace Parker. We have seen other freshmen who became impact players. Stewie started strong, had a mid-season slump, and finished as the Final Four MOP. Kaleena also had a slump but still led the ream in scoring. Lou became an outstanding player in the last half of last season. I look for Crystal to be a big impact player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Geno's only got 3 choices at the point: Nurse, Chong or Dangerfield. To me Nurse is the logical choice. She's been a starter for two years. She's done absolutely nothing to forfeit her starting spot, in fact, she been stellar.
UConn has not lost a game since she became a starter the 3rd game of the 2014-2015 season. There's no one else on the roster with as much or more experience at guard (for UConn) than her. I don't believe Dangerfield will be ready to start at the beginning of the season (I could be wrong).

Lou didn't become a starter until January. Crystal may follow her lead. Her first two years (as we all know), Kia did not have to play the point. Moriah was conducting a clinic for all "would be" PG's, while earning the prestigious Nancy Lieberman Award as well. Nurse may have to move over now and assume that position. Who knows what's going to happen between now and the first exhibition game in November? We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Chong is healthy, she is the most experienced, and Butler (with bigger less mobile teams)
it would appear the new kids have a very good chance of playing time.
Butler is a fair to good rebounder if paired with Collier her limitations would not be visible. As a big body, with another year to learn to use it, she could be a factor. The kid can shoot .
Although my vote is no longer valid (Geno took it away 8 years ag0- saying-youre no John Wooden)
still Geno loves Collier and Gabby and Katie Lou--I'll put 35 cent in a bet they shall start.

OK, it looks like you've got Chong, Butler, Collier, Gabby and Lou starting? No Kia Nurse? I agree that Butler's size will be needed in games against teams with a large post player. I can't see Nurse not being in the starting lineup. I'm guessing (and it's only a guess): PG-Nurse, SG-Lou, W-Collier, W-Williams, P-Butler. The first 4 I'm sure of. Butler is the wild card. I'm not sure about her yet. She'll either play her way into or out of a starting role.
I've got Chong as my 6th man, Unless Geno goes with Nurse, Chong, Lou, Williams and Collier. Too early to tell. So many options at this point. It's still August. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I feel very comfortable saying PG isn't her best position.

I understand, but the rest of the team may leave Geno no choice. Who would YOU start at the point? Chong? A lot of BY's would. We don't know how much Chong's overall game as improved over the summer. She may have addressed and cleaned up the issues that kept her on the bench last year. If she has, then that makes Geno's decision a lot easier, Chong starts at the point!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I understand, but the rest of the team may leave Geno no choice. Who would YOU start at the point? Chong? A lot of BY's would. We don't know how much Chong's overall game as improved over the summer. She may have addressed and cleaned up the issues that kept her on the bench last year. If she has, then that makes Geno's decision a lot easier, Chong starts at the point!

I just can't see it being Chong, but who knows. So my guess would have to be either Dangerfield or Nurse. This wouldn't be that big of a deal if the schedule were flipped and the conference games came first. But it's hard to see them throwing Crystal Dangerfield in the fire like that against that level of non-conference opponents at the start.

Reaction Score
OK, it looks like you've got Chong, Butler, Collier, Gabby and Lou starting? No Kia Nurse? I agree that Butler's size will be needed in games against teams with a large post player. I can't see Nurse not being in the starting lineup. I'm guessing (and it's only a guess): PG-Nurse, SG-Lou, W-Collier, W-Williams, P-Butler. The first 4 I'm sure of. Butler is the wild card. I'm not sure about her yet. She'll either play her way into or out of a starting role.
I've got Chong as my 6th man, Unless Geno goes with Nurse, Chong, Lou, Williams and Collier. Too early to tell. So many options at this point. It's still August. :confused:

You caught me--KIA has to start with her experience--I think having her on the floor is a like having Tuck--she's a leader and a calming influence.
Chong, if she is healthy and knowing Geno's system I suspect she shall be Point until Geno trusts Crystal enough then they'll be interchanged. A big question for me is Butler. She is big, she shoots well, rebounds OK, but I haven't seen her enough to know how well she defends bigs. What will she do against Wilson (or even Stevens in practice). Geno, even in WON games, only gave Butler clean up time--to me (and I'm usually wrong) says he has no confidence in her.
I threw out those names Chong, Butler, Collier, Lou, Gabby as Geno "core" but I forgot KIA--
I have reservations about Kia as a charging bull--but when it comes to experience none can compare. Geno is loyal, sometimes to a fault (Doty), and needs lots of time (sometimes) to trust his guards. So that is why I think Chong.
For just a second--consider Chong is 100 per cent and finds her HS shooting touch--where would she fit in your list then?? Why? You know more about this than I do--.\

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For just a second--consider Chong is 100 per cent and finds her HS shooting touch--where would she fit in your list then?? Why? You know more about this than I do--.\
I think Geno's issue with Saniya is her defense, not her shooting or her offense generally. If she gets to the point where she can guard people on the perimeter rather than watch them drive to the hoop, she can get a lot of minutes. But she has had three years to reach that point, and hasn't done it yet. I don't really think it's likely that she will climb that mountain in her senior year.

Reaction Score
I think Geno's issue with Saniya is her defense, not her shooting or her offense generally. If she gets to the point where she can guard people on the perimeter rather than watch them drive to the hoop, she can get a lot of minutes. But she has had three years to reach that point, and hasn't done it yet. I don't really think it's likely that she will climb that mountain in her senior year.
At this point Chongs value is : She knows Geno's system Offense and Defense. She has experience
In terms of Defense; she can't grow much at her age, so defending bigs will rarely happen. Her dis ability may slow her more than her body style indicates. Point is Chong is what she is--and I'm sure Geno shall use what is good and in games of less importance will live with her deficiencies.
Having said that--I'd like Chong to shoot the 3 and get her accuracy back. I'd like her to slash and attack the basket--she does that well and it takes pressure off of katie Lou
I would never talk for Geno (which I do regularly) if Chong is healthy I think she starts--at least for a while--Geno likes experience--unless it never develops.

Reaction Score

Im not Kia's biggest fan nor biggest detractor--I like and dislike that's she's the toughest kid on the floor. If the Choice is among Crystal, Chong (disabled) and Kia--at least early in the season, it's an easy choice--KIA. If Chong is 100 percent that changes the formulae. If she can shoot the 3 with 40 percent accuracy, can slash to the basket, and defend the perimeter Chong should be Point--lots of If's.

Reaction Score

Your next to the last sentence---I think you can almost (never always)guarantee that line up will be used against "smaller" teams. The big ???? is Butler and how BIG Lou plays this year.
Lou has the ability, showed some in the final games she played, to block, defend, slash, hit the 3, 6, 14, and 17 ft shots has a sweet jumper near the foul line. We've been over looking her in the Chong Kia discussion. She handles the ball as well as Stewie down the floor. No she's not my point guard.

Reaction Score
As I said before, Natalie has to play big. I haven't seen enough of Natalie to know if she can play that way.

Reaction Score
Watched this year's NC game again last night. Was particularly impressed by Napheesa: she a number of things well. Most importantly, it was hard to tell that she was in an NC game: played very naturally and in the flow. She has spectacular ball instincts that you just can't teach. Will deliver big time over the next 3 years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Your next to the last sentence---I think you can almost (never always)guarantee that line up will be used against "smaller" teams. The big ???? is Butler and how BIG Lou plays this year.
Lou has the ability, showed some in the final games she played, to block, defend, slash, hit the 3, 6, 14, and 17 ft shots has a sweet jumper near the foul line. We've been over looking her in the Chong Kia discussion. She handles the ball as well as Stewie down the floor. No she's not my point guard.

IF, and it's a BIG IF, Lou can come close to playing the role that Stewie played with similar results, that would give Geno a lot of wiggle room with his starting lineup. Butler didn't play a lot last year because Geno didn't need her. He had Stewie. Stewie played wherever Geno needed her to play, whether it was guarding the perimeter, or playing in the paint in a 2-3 zone, or guarding the opponent's post 1 on 1.

Stewie could handle any assignment Geno gave her. She was very flexible, kinda like a "Swiss Army Knife" if you will. Obviously Lou was being groomed to take her place. If Lou can effectively assume Stewie's role this year, that would have a huge impact on who that 5th starter will be.

If Lou can't effectively guard opposing BIGS, and rebound (and block shots) then Butler will be pressed into service. We'll find out real quick how she fares when they play Baylor on November 17, the 2nd game of the season. Baylor will feature their twin towers 6'7" Kalani Brown and 6'4" Beatrice Mompremier. No doubt these ladies will prove to be an excellent barometer with which to measure exactly where Lou is in her development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IF, and it's a BIG IF, Lou can come close to playing the role that Stewie played with similar results, that would give Geno a lot of wiggle room with his starting lineup. Butler didn't play a lot last year because Geno didn't need her. He had Stewie. Stewie played wherever Geno needed her to play, whether it was guarding the perimeter, or playing in the paint in a 2-3 zone, or guarding the opponent's post 1 on 1.

Stewie could handle any assignment Geno gave her. She was very flexible, kinda like a "Swiss Army Knife" if you will. Obviously Lou was being groomed to take her place. If Lou can effectively assume Stewie's role this year, that would have a huge impact on who that 5th starter will be.

If Lou can't effectively guard opposing BIGS, and rebound (and block shots) then Butler will be pressed into service. We'll find out real quick how she fares when they play Baylor on November 17, the 2nd game of the season. Baylor will feature their twin towers 6'7" Kalani Brown and 6'4" Beatrice Mompremier. No doubt these ladies will prove to be an excellent barometer with which to measure exactly where Lou is in her development.
Perfectly plausible for KLS to be "helping" out in the post during the Baylor game and not have to contend with Brown, Cox, Mompremier, or Cave. Mompremier and Brown rarely play together and Baylor's best post player is 5'11" Nina Davis is a much better matchup for KLS. The same can be said for most of the rest of the Teams on UCONN schedule with two notable exceptions ( teams that have a tall dual post threat) tOSU and South Carolina.
I trust Geno's ability to scheme defensively in those games exponentially more than I trust all the other coaches ability to develop a dual post threat. Coates & Wilson for example at SC are, at times, dominating against the rest of WCBB; in two years against UCONN Coates might as well have been pictured on a milk carton-she has been MIA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stewie wasn't Stewie unitil the NCAA in her Freshman year and she was absolutely needed--even with a good or better supporting cast. Katie Lou never really had that pressure or reason to excel beyond where she became.

Butler WAS NOT needed to plug many holes, because there were few, in big games. Nevertheless --GENO did not use her extensively with some of the not really top teams--AAC not among them. Initially she wasn't fit to play a lot--then--why?? Do you or any Boneyarder really believe Geno can shake his magic dust on Butler and make her become a Stef Dolson?? Because for Uconn to go far in the NCAA I think that is required--but what do I know??

To even come close to thinking Katie Lou shall become a slightly shorter Stewie has no merit (you didn't say that). I believe Katie Lou, the best of the Samuelsons, will shine and excel come April 2017. But she will need everything Napheesa, Kayla, Crystal, Gabby, Kia and Chong can pull up from their inner beings to go far in the NCAA--my expectation is Elite 8/Final 4 (maybe more of a hope). It is good for WCBB for Geno to have an off year--but not for us Fan of UCWBB..

Reaction Score
Stewie wasn't Stewie unitil the NCAA in her Freshman year and she was absolutely needed--even with a good or better supporting cast. Katie Lou never really had that pressure or reason to excel beyond where she became.

Butler WAS NOT needed to plug many holes, because there were few, in big games. Nevertheless --GENO did not use her extensively with some of the not really top teams--AAC not among them. Initially she wasn't fit to play a lot--then--why?? Do you or any Boneyarder really believe Geno can shake his magic dust on Butler and make her become a Stef Dolson?? Because for Uconn to go far in the NCAA I think that is required--but what do I know??

To even come close to thinking Katie Lou shall become a slightly shorter Stewie has no merit (you didn't say that). I believe Katie Lou, the best of the Samuelsons, will shine and excel come April 2017. But she will need everything Napheesa, Kayla, Crystal, Gabby, Kia and Chong can pull up from their inner beings to go far in the NCAA--my expectation is Elite 8/Final 4 (maybe more of a hope). It is good for WCBB for Geno to have an off year--but not for us Fan of UCWBB..
Like this a lot, until the last 7 words. Of course, every fan of every teams wants to end the season with a final game win. But even if UConn doesn't (as you rightly say, odds are against it), it will be a great time to see Geno have to actually earn his salary (just kidding: he earns it already, but now no one will dispute it). And, what's really cool about 2016-2017 is appreciating that, however good it is this year, UConn will be even the more awesome in 2017-2018.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BoradwayVA - like it. But as I posted long ago with respect to Butler, by the time she was actually able to get back on the court, the team had completely shifted away from whatever they had started to install prior to her injury and she was uniquely different from everyone else who was playing her position in her absence. If she is able to remain healthy this coming preseason and through the season, I do expect to see both a different Natalie on the court and a different offense being run to maximize her unique qualities as a player. By December of last year when she was cleared to play, she was coming into an already established rotation that was working very well, and she was sort of left in the cold to struggle along at the end of the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom