Here’s a bombshell | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
which acc teams do the B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN covet?
B1G/FOX: ND, UNC, UVA, Miami, Gtech
SEC/ESPN: those listed above minus Gtech, plus Clemson, FSU, and maybe VT

if they each took 4 that would leave Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville, Duke, Wake, and NC St as leftovers
Would WV be interested in joining this league? They would get the Pitt rivalry back but not VT.

Reaction Score
If the ACC's options are choices between Temple, USF, Memphis to fill up their league they might as well just pack up and go home. That league is not competing with the major conferences

I think it's just about settled and the SEC and BiG will be the major conferences. Whether some of the programs from the ACC can find there way into one of those conferences remains to be seen, but this is done. The SEC and BiG will command the big media contracts and they will use that to further separate themselves from the rest of college athletics.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the ACC's options are choices between Temple, USF, Memphis to fill up their league they might as well just pack up and go home. That league is not competing with the major conferences
It won't be. The ACC is better positioned than the B12 or Pac, despite the gaslighting going on. Better contract, longer contract, better brand names.

Reaction Score
ACC and Big East should make some sort of merger conference specifically for basketball purposes. Despite all the losses, all teams could remain relevant if the conference became

UConn
Villanova
Providence
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Duke
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
BC
St. Johns
Miami
Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Yes.

Additionally, the ACC as constituted (with or without ND) is still an asset that ESPN places a good amount of value in. Unless ESPN is extremely confident that they can gain more value from a larger SEC and a far lesser ACC than what they currently have the schools that want to move from the ACC will need to attempt to do so without any help (and likely some resistance) from ESPN.
Indeed, but however you cut, this would mean the ESPN is subsidizing the SEC for a decade +.

(i.e. giving the even more money per team [on ESPN's ledgers] than what they've currently agreed to give them).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It could be worse, it could be Tulsa.

Yeah that would suck, but that would only be if we were screwed and had to rejoin the AAC or whatever they're calling themselves at that point. The idea that we would go out and target Memphis to bring them into our current conference is just so gross to me. Let's dream bigger than that!

Reaction Score
It won't be. The ACC is better positioned than the B12 or Pac, despite the gaslighting going on. Better contract, longer contract, better brand names.
The acc has a terrible contract from the perspective of the big brand schools like Clemson, fsu, Miami, UNC. The sec and B1G schools will soon be making 50 million more per year. If the ACC doesn’t agree to unequal sharing those schools are leaving as soon as they can

Reaction Score
So, a reconstituted ACC would be...

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC

That's 10 schools.

Explain to me why these schools would need to add more than 2 schools?

Candidates for those 2 spots in order: West Virginia, UConn, Kansas, Cincinnati, Villanova, UCF, USF.

Maybe they go to 4 adds. Who knows.

Reaction Score
The acc has a terrible contract from the perspective of the big brand schools like Clemson, fsu, Miami, UNC. The sec and B1G schools will soon be making 50 million more per year. If the ACC doesn’t agree to unequal sharing those schools are leaving as soon as they can
He's already assuming the heavyweights of the ACC are gone.

The argument is that the ACC is still better without its top 4 schools.

I would say that's absolutely true.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah that would suck, but that would only be if we were screwed and had to rejoin the AAC or whatever they're calling themselves at that point. The idea that we would go out and target Memphis to bring them into our current conference is just so gross to me. Let's dream bigger than that!
The Big East fan board nonsense about stealing away current P5 teams always strikes me as delusional. The big east fan board nonsense about stealing away teams in the American just strikes me as dumb.

Reaction Score
I’m as big of a BE fan as anyone but the BE/Indy combo is not competitive with the major conferences we make like 5 milly a year

CL82

Reaction Score

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC

That's 10 schools.

Candidates for those 2 spots in order: West Virginia, UConn, Kansas, Cincinnati, Villanova, UCF, USF.

You can take nova off that list since they aren’t a football school. Scratch off the Florida directionals because you’ve assumed that Miami will still be in the conference. I don’t see it being worthwhile for a big 12 team to move to the ACC, especially if the ACC has just been rated. In any event the ACC has avoided West Virginia like the plague.

Let’s see, who does that leave?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sure. That's what everyone says. But here's a counterpoint. The Pac deal is almost up, and is going to go down. The Big 12 deal is up in two years and it's going to go down. The SEC is an ESPN conference and ESPN isn't going to pay more for those 4 schools by adding them to the SEC. The B1G might like UVA and UNC, but they aren't worth the B1G payout either. Oregon and Washington would be better additions.

So who is ponying up for those four? The ACC will soon be the 3rd highest paid conference. I do think the ACC will add some kind of bonus structure based on football performance (not brand name). But in recent years, FSU wouldn't get anything from that. I expect the ACC to expand, not get poached.

CL82

Reaction Score
Always remember... Rutgers landed in the BIG 10 and will be getting like a billion/year in TV money soon... Anything and Everything is possible
And yet, even with a full Big 10 share, they somehow are managing to lose $73 million a year. That’s impressive, even for Rutgers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He's already assuming the heavyweights of the ACC are gone.

The argument is that the ACC is still better without its top 4 schools.

I would say that's absolutely true.
I don't think they are gone. I don't see anybody taking them, especially with the GOR. But it is still better.

Reaction Score

That's 10 schools.

Why did the Big 12 add 4 instead of 2 when they lost UT and OU that dropped them down to 8? Inventory. There can be some dilution but at the same time you need enough content to show of your premiere properties. For basketball, can't do a 20 game conference schedule with 10 schools, need at least 11 to pull it off. Gets that extra conference game for Duke and Cuse and Louisville (and UConn) for the network.

They probably regret it now with so many better schools out there than the AAC flotsam but nonetheless that's probably why they were so aggressive with additions.

Reaction Score
But here’s the rub….how can they leave without their GOR? Why would the majority of the schools agree to unequal shares when the high profile schools are locked in

Reaction Score
And yet, even with a full Big 10 share, they somehow are managing to lose $73 million a year. That’s impressive, even for Rutgers.
It’s NJ…..we invented deficit spending and have perfected it better than any other. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The SEC is an ESPN conference and ESPN isn't going to pay more for those 4 schools by adding them to the SEC. The B1G might like UVA and UNC, but they aren't worth the B1G payout either.
i trust andy staples and the writers at the athletic have their ears closer to the ground on this issue than anyone on this board. according to them either conference would take ND/UNC/UVA/Miami and the SEC would also take Clemson and FSU.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s NJ…..we invented deficit spending and have perfected it better than any other. :rolleyes:
Jersey Strong baby!

Reaction Score
You underestimate southern politics and allegiance. They aren’t going anywhere. SEC is the all powerful and they were in it at the start (both were part of the 10 founding members)
What about the other 327 million that they want to have watch?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom