Here’s a bombshell | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
true, especially if the big12 adds 4-6 schools from the pac. it would also finally force ND to the B1G. regardless, we still need a solid place to park our football program. sign me up for a 12 member conference comprised of:

Cuse / BC / Pitt / Lville / VT / Duke / Wake / NC St / Gtech / Miami / UConn / Memphis

if the BE wants to merge as olympic only members then it's 12 football schools and 22 bball schools. if the BE doesnt want to merge...well i think leaving for this 12 member football conference is a no brainer over remaining in the BE.

apparently the SEC doesnt want anymore ACC teams. B1G would add ND and possibly Oregon and UW. Big12 wants to add CO, UU, UA, ASU, and possibly Oregon and UW. i think we'd be on relatively solid ground.
Would be an awesome situation for UConn but not sure how the basketball merger part would work with FOX and ESPN.

Reaction Score
The biggest concern is if the ACC GOR gets dissolved than you could see some key ACC schools bolt to the B12
i guess...if the PAC poaches from the BIG12 they would in turn need to poach from the ACC...that's why we should be rooting for the big12 to poach from the PAC or for them to merge.

Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't made over here yet.

From the article:
"Mora has a goal of joining the ACC in a few years. "

BE media deal is up in 2024-25, hence when we could get out for free...3 years from now, which aligns with Mora's vision...
i guess...if the PAC poaches from the BIG12 they would in turn need to poach from the ACC...that's why we should be rooting for the big12 to poach from the PAC or for them to merge.
I think the B12 is currently in the position of strength rather than the Pac-12. Their media deal ends in 2025 (same as BE) but P12 is up in 2024. That means P12 teams need to find a home before B12 would. Sure, there is a chance they could wow B12 teams if they get a killer new deal, but I think more likely than not if there is poaching, it's teams coming east not going west. The current and future B12 teams are simply in better markets than the current non-LA P12 teams and thus more attractive for the new TV deal.

Reaction Score
Free?? Not saying it’s an impediment but there is a cost.

Smart that the BE put in an exit agreement even with the media deal expiring during that time. Makes it that much more important that the ACC picks up the tab on the whole conference, not just us.

Reaction Score
Smart that the BE put in an exit agreement even with the media deal expiring during that time. Makes it that much more important that the ACC picks up the tab on the whole conference, not just us.
As silly as it sounds I don’t think the catholic 7 will want to lose the name big east. It’s who they are and I don’t think they’d give it up unless the money was otherworldly which it won’t be.

Reaction Score
Free?? Not saying it’s an impediment but there is a cost.

ACC makes $35M/yr in TV revenue. Even if it gets restructured down to 20M/yr once Clemson/FSU leave then our exit fee is paid off in 2 years. UConn unfortunately is not in a position to be turning down that type of TV revenue

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, seems like that won't be so difficult...
A Rutgers friend who isn’t actually in alumni? I think the odds would be better if you were searching for unicorns.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Most here understand the realignment stuff better than me but I don’t get why football needs to be inextricably tied to the other sports. Ie, couldn’t school revenue be maximized by selling football and basketball (as well as other sports) rights separately?

Reaction Score
Most here understand the realignment stuff better than me but I don’t get why football needs to be inextricably tied to the other sports. Ie, couldn’t school revenue be maximized by selling football and basketball (as well as other sports) rights separately?
I have no idea why this isn't happening. Issue is, if you are the Pac-12, you get USC/UCLA for everything but football? What's the point then.

But, realistically, the two sports are incompatible with one another. I got for having football conferences, then Olympic sports conferences.

Reaction Score
People that think the B1G and SEC are expanding further, tell me why they would add a school whose TV value is less than the median member of their current conference.

As far as I can tell, that would be just diluting the current per school value. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA are all in that tier of being more valuable than the bottom half of those top conferences.

But who is left that actually fits that criteria? Notre Dame obviously. And then? Oregon? Clemson & North Carolina probably, but that pesky GOR.

I don't see these super conferences forming. It doesn't serve the interests of the schools that are in there right now from the available options.
Well, the B1G did add Nebraska but generally you're right

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The biggest concern is if the ACC GOR gets dissolved than you could see some key ACC schools bolt to the B12, notably Va Tech/Miami/Pitt/Louisville. UConn/BC/Duke/Wake/NC State/Ga Tech ain't it...sure we could welcome 5 of them into the BE + Memphis but then what do those 6 do for football? Would need to add 6, and UMass/USF/UNC-Charlotte being 3 of the options is really scary because then you're diluting basketball.
Louder for those in the back: No school in a current P5 is going to join the Big East. It isn't a thing and it's not going to become a thing unless the economics shift to favor independent football. Every single program in the B12, Pac or ACC has more value than any program in the Big East except UConn. By a lot. Some schools not in the P5 are also more valuable, Memphis, Colorado State...

Reaction Score
Only people that care about RU are graduates. Seeing a block R means nothing except that person went to school there

An on some roadways in Jersey the Block R means I have to pay a toll. A good time to share a finger.

Reaction Score
Well i think his source is wrong or doesn't exist. Why would ESPN renegotiate and wipe out an EXTREMELY favorable ACC contract they have right now?
Because ESPN/SEC is in an arms race against FOX/B1G and if you dont sign up the most valuable assets to 100M per year deals, the other side will.

Reaction Score
which acc teams do the B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN covet?
B1G/FOX: ND, UNC, UVA, Miami, Gtech
SEC/ESPN: those listed above minus Gtech, plus Clemson, FSU, and maybe VT

if they each took 4 that would leave Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville, Duke, Wake, and NC St as leftovers

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been of the belief for about a dozen years now that UVA and UNC will end up in the BIG & Va Tech and NC St will end up in the SEC.

This may not be until a few years after other schools are added by both conferences and the end game may well be another dozen years away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Either the conference gets poached from all 3 directions (Big 12, Big 10, SEC) so much so that Big East COULD absorb basketball centric schools or ACC backfills as you noted. I can't see anyone leaving Big 12 for ACC at this point given power dynamics currently unfolding despite WVU and Cincy historically making sense like UConn.
The big east isn’t absorbing anyone from a major conferences until they actually have a media deal that makes a vaguely reasonable amount of money.

Reaction Score
Because ESPN/SEC is in an arms race against FOX/B1G and if you dont sign up the most valuable assets to 100M per year deals, the other side will.
But this is the ACCs money, not ESPNs. The question is what do the ACC teams get?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
But this is the ACCs money, not ESPNs. The question is what do the ACC teams get?
Yes.

Additionally, the ACC as constituted (with or without ND) is still an asset that ESPN places a good amount of value in. Unless ESPN is extremely confident that they can gain more value from a larger SEC and a far lesser ACC than what they currently have the schools that want to move from the ACC will need to attempt to do so without any help (and likely some resistance) from ESPN.

Reaction Score
which acc teams do the B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN covet?
B1G/FOX: ND, UNC, UVA, Miami, Gtech
SEC/ESPN: those listed above minus Gtech, plus Clemson, FSU, and maybe VT

if they each took 4 that would leave Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville, Duke, Wake, and NC St as leftovers
Hooking up with those 7 would make a good basketball league and a football league we could potentially compete in. I’d be intrigued.

Reaction Score
Hooking up with those 7 would make a good basketball league and a football league we could potentially compete in. I’d be intrigued.
those 7 plus UConn, memphis and temple and we're off to the races.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom