Here’s a bombshell | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
Well good luck finding one who isn’t.
No need to have a Rutgers fight. I'm also a resident. There are plenty of casual Rutgers fans that aren't alums in my area (north NJ / Taylor Ham). But die hards with a block R are hard to find in my area if they aren't an alum or at least a parent of alums or current students. And we only have a couple of '22 grads going to RU in the fall. I probably know more non-alum Seton Hall fans in town. But I know non-alums that have settled in central NJ (if you believe there is a central NJ) that are big fans because they can get to games so easily. I know at least one even has a Block R on his car!

But isn't that a problem for a lot of Northeast schools? I know plenty of people in Connecticut whose kids went to schools that are no better than UConn because they wanted to get away. Same with people in Mass, Maryland, etc. There's little chance my kids will be going to Rutgers. It's why tv markets are probably going to mean less over time.

Rutgers won the lottery on the timing of its admission. NJ doesn't have a market. Half is part of the NYC market and the other half is Philly. It's also heavily and densely populated. The Big Ten wanted that flag pole regardless of the flag that was flying on it. I got the Big Ten network on my standard cable package whether I wanted it or not. But so did people in Manhattan. But streaming is only going to get more popular. Popular content is going to rule. Your popularity can be due to lots of homestate / alum fans, or from high quality content. Rutgers would probably look different to the Big 10 today, but they're in. All my opinion of course.

Reaction Score
People that think the B1G and SEC are expanding further, tell me why they would add a school whose TV value is less than the median member of their current conference.

As far as I can tell, that would be just diluting the current per school value. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA are all in that tier of being more valuable than the bottom half of those top conferences.

But who is left that actually fits that criteria? Notre Dame obviously. And then? Oregon? Clemson & North Carolina probably, but that pesky GOR.

I don't see these super conferences forming. It doesn't serve the interests of the schools that are in there right now from the available options.

Reaction Score
The guy is verified but he covers swimming…trying not to get my hopes up

Reaction Score
Some random twitter account broke the UConn to Big East news on a Friday night so anything is possible
well in that case does the ACC backfill with UConn and Memphis? or do they only take 1 and poach cincy, wvu, and ucf from the big12? wvu has long desired to be in the acc and it makes more sense for cincy and ucf as well.

Reaction Score
well in that case does the ACC backfill with UConn and Memphis? or do they only take 1 and poach cincy, wvu, and ucf from the big12? wvu has long desired to be in the acc and it makes more sense for cincy and ucf as well.
Either the conference gets poached from all 3 directions (Big 12, Big 10, SEC) so much so that Big East COULD absorb basketball centric schools or ACC backfills as you noted. I can't see anyone leaving Big 12 for ACC at this point given power dynamics currently unfolding despite WVU and Cincy historically making sense like UConn.

Reaction Score
Alot has to break in the right way but I would really love for this to end with us in the old big east plus duke/wake/nc state and minus WVU/Rutgers

Reaction Score
Feel like that was inevitable. If UConn can band together with the ex BE & ACC remains, things could work out

Reaction Score
Either the conference gets poached from all 3 directions (Big 12, Big 10, SEC) so much so that Big East COULD absorb basketball centric schools or ACC backfills as you noted. I can't see anyone leaving Big 12 for ACC at this point
true, especially if the big12 adds 4-6 schools from the pac. it would also finally force ND to the B1G. regardless, we still need a solid place to park our football program. sign me up for a 12 member conference comprised of:

Cuse / BC / Pitt / Lville / VT / Duke / Wake / NC St / Gtech / Miami / UConn / Memphis

if the BE wants to merge as olympic only members then it's 12 football schools and 22 bball schools. if the BE doesnt want to merge...well i think leaving for this 12 member football conference is a no brainer over remaining in the BE.

apparently the SEC doesnt want anymore ACC teams. B1G would add ND and possibly Oregon and UW. Big12 wants to add CO, UU, UA, ASU, and possibly Oregon and UW. i think we'd be on relatively solid ground.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
true, especially if the big12 adds 4-6 schools from the pac. it would also finally force ND to the B1G. regardless, we still need a solid place to park our football program. sign me up for a 12 member conference comprised of:

Cuse / BC / Pitt / Lville / VT / Duke / Wake / NC St / Gtech / Miami / UConn / Memphis

if the BE wants to merge as olympic only members then it's 12 football schools and 22 bball schools.
Let's give Kansas a home in our hypothetical conference as well

Reaction Score
Let's give Kansas a home in our hypothetical conference as well
not if Big12 succeeds in adding CO, UU, AU, and ASu and possibly even UW and oregon. that's the 3rd super-conference so KU wouldnt leave it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Either the conference gets poached from all 3 directions (Big 12, Big 10, SEC) so much so that Big East COULD absorb basketball centric schools or ACC backfills as you noted. I can't see anyone leaving Big 12 for ACC at this point given power dynamics currently unfolding despite WVU and Cincy historically making sense like UConn.
I don't know why the SEC would take those 4 schools. But if they somehow got out of the GOR, it would be wild. I don't think the B1G wants anybody in the ACC except Virginia and UNC (ND of course). So they'd be out. My guess is they'd backfill, and I do think WVU and Cinci would make the list, and possibly UConn. That would help the Big 12, which needs to expand westward. Not sure where UCF lands, but the ACC would probably want them if they lost FSU.

So UCF, Cinci, WVU, UConn to ACC. Big 12 then expands with most of the PAC and keeps Houston.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
not if Big12 succeeds in adding CO, UU, AU, and ASu and possibly even UW and oregon. that's the 3rd super-conference so KU wouldnt leave it.
They wouldn't leave it even if it was K-State, Iowa State, OK state and the current Texas schools. Unless they get a B1G invite, KU isn't splitting from K-State.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think in all likelihood the PAC absorbs the best pieces int he Big 12 (Kansas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State) because playing Washington State and Oregon State is a better option for the current PAC schools than playing the 4 mid major programs the Big 12 added last summer. The Big 12 really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

But agreed that Kansas to a hypothetical east coast conference is their least likely landing spot.

Reaction Score
I do think WVU and Cinci would make the list, and possibly UConn. That would help the Big 12, which needs to expand westward. Not sure where UCF lands, but the ACC would probably want them if they lost FSU.... So UCF, Cinci, WVU, UConn to ACC. Big 12 then expands with most of the PAC and keeps Houston.
big12 would also keep BYU. as long as UConn gets the ACC invite this time i dont care. but if ACC ends up adding 2 schools i.e. WVU and Cincy. or 4 schools i.e. UCF and memphis, then i might have a stroke.
I think in all likelihood the PAC absorbs the best pieces int he Big 12 (Kansas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State) because playing Washington State and Oregon State is a better option for the current PAC schools than playing the 4 mid major programs the Big 12 added last summer. The Big 12 really shot themselves in the foot with that one.
everything i've heard and read proclaims that the pac is a dead conference walking. UW and Oregon will never agree to a GOR as theyre leaving at the first chance they get so CO, UU, AU, ASU aren't going to sit around waiting for that shoe to drop.

the big12 on the other hand is already a collection of ugly ducklings which actually lends them valuable stability. as you said, they don't really care about the only schools that could leave for the ACC i.e. ucf and cincy plus maybe wvu.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know why the SEC would take those 4 schools. But if they somehow got out of the GOR, it would be wild. I don't think the B1G wants anybody in the ACC except Virginia and UNC (ND of course). So they'd be out. My guess is they'd backfill, and I do think WVU and Cinci would make the list, and possibly UConn. That would help the Big 12, which needs to expand westward. Not sure where UCF lands, but the ACC would probably want them if they lost FSU.

So UCF, Cinci, WVU, UConn to ACC. Big 12 then expands with most of the PAC and keeps Houston.
The biggest concern is if the ACC GOR gets dissolved than you could see some key ACC schools bolt to the B12, notably Va Tech/Miami/Pitt/Louisville. UConn/BC/Duke/Wake/NC State/Ga Tech ain't it...sure we could welcome 5 of them into the BE + Memphis but then what do those 6 do for football? Would need to add 6, and UMass/USF/UNC-Charlotte being 3 of the options is really scary because then you're diluting basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom