Heard Ollie had team meeting tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Heard Ollie had team meeting tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KO is likely already one of the most beloved figures in UConn history and there's absolutely no hyperbole with that statement.

I think the opportunity to build on Calhoun's legacy, the UConn Basketball tradition and being a stalwart at the university while grooming kids into young men is KO's calling.

It's time for UConn to pony up the cash and lock this incredible coach/ ambassador to our school for a long time.

Exactly right. Some people are about the money. Does anybody get the impression that Kevin is about the money? He's a kid from South Central who is already rich by any normal measure, and has fantastic job security at a place he loves doing something he loves. He can be more here than he could ever be in the NBA. He will have a better life, his wife and kids will have a better life, and he can impact more people in a positive way. He's not going to trade that for a little extra money.

Reaction Score
Exactly right. Some people are about the money. Does anybody get the impression that Kevin is about the money? He's a kid from South Central who is already rich by any normal measure, and has fantastic job security at a place he loves doing something he loves. He can be more here than he could ever be in the NBA. He will have a better life, his wife and kids will have a better life, and he can impact more people in a positive way. He's not going to trade that for a little extra money.

Why cant Ollie avg 3-4mm a year for the next 20 years here? Maybe he can get a 3 year 21 mm contract and maybe his first is his last. This is a cushy job that will pay well and barring the most unforeseen problems KO can make tens of millions here with much more job security.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

While I think Ollie values other things than another few $million, sometimes being about the money is not really about the dollar bills earned. IMHO, the amount of money is merely a measuring stick of your value to an organization. While being rich by any normal measure is nice and is probably true, I think Ollie (And no I don't know him any more than the next guy) is more concerned with and values UConn's offer to up his contract. Not to mention, Ollie is revered here. While there is a dollars and cents component at UConn. The NBA is a business with a very simple job production metric: Wins. Ollie can sign a 4 year deal worth $4mil per, but what happens if he's fired after 2? He will make more money in Storrs (Plus a lower cost of living and better schools) averaging $2.5 mil over the next 5 years, virtually guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Um realgm wire tap reports ollie is willing to listen to the nba . As of this afternoon

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ollie can sign a 4 year deal worth $4mil per, but what happens if he's fired after 2? He will make more money in Storrs (Plus a lower cost of living and better schools) averaging $2.5 mil over the next 5 years, virtually guaranteed.

How is $12.5M considered more money than$16M?

Husky25

Reaction Score
How is $12.5M considered more money than$16M?
I didn't say $12.5M was greater than $16M. I asked what if Ollie was fired after 2 years for not winning.

Ollie is pretty much guaranteed a 5 year grace period for this championship. He is afford no such luxury in the NBA.

Reaction Score
http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/02/kevin-ollie-uconn-listen-lakers/

UConn head coach Kevin Ollie’s name has been linked to the Lakers’ list of coaching candidates. And if the storied franchise wants to talk to the coach of the 2014 NCAA national champions, he is willing to listen, according to Mark Medina of insidesocal.com.

While Ollie is interested in hearing what the Lakers have to say, Medina’s source says the coach remains very content with his UConn job.

“He’ll listen, but he’s real committed to his alma mater,” said a person familiar with Ollie’s thinking.

Reaction Score

UConn head coach Kevin Ollie’s name has been linked to the Lakers’ list of coaching candidates. And if the storied franchise wants to talk to the coach of the 2014 NCAA national champions, he is willing to listen, according to Mark Medina of insidesocal.com.

While Ollie is interested in hearing what the Lakers have to say, Medina’s source says the coach remains very content with his UConn job.

“He’ll listen, but he’s real committed to his alma mater,” said a person familiar with Ollie’s thinking.
DOOOOOOOMED

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't say $12.5M was greater than $16M. I asked what if Ollie was fired after 2 years for not winning.

Ollie is pretty much guaranteed a 5 year grace period for this championship. He is afford no such luxury in the NBA.

Oh yeah he would. If he got fired after 2 years he still collects the entire $16M in your scenario.

Reaction Score
Mark Medina of insidesocal.com, now there's the guy with the inside dope.

Reaction Score

Apparently this "top rated" insidesocial.com site guy didn't hear about the team meeting. "He'll listen" translation is..."Hey Warde...I'm committed to UConn and money is not the end all, but you better be fair"

Reaction Score
He'll listen to the Lakers, but does anything actually think he will like what he hears?
Not necessarily, but it definitely gives KO more bargaining power. Although after everything, maybe KO's biggest requirement is going to be an extra long term deal? We all want what we haven't had, correct? ;)

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
First off, what the hell kind of source is "familiar with Ollie's thinking"?

Secondly, listening means nothing. Kind of like someone said, every guy has had some girl listen to what he was saying just because she felt it was the polite thing to do.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh yeah he would. If he got fired after 2 years he still collects the entire $16M in your scenario.
Not necessarily, there is typically a buy out for something less than what is owed for the remainder of the contract. Besides, the 4 years expires and then what? It's not like UConn will be there. The NBA will always have job openings.

I think Ollie will do the prudent thing. He will listen to the Lakers, thank them for their time, and leave LA being that much more informed about his worth.

Tangentially, I'm amused at the notion that the Lakers job is so appealing because it is near his childhood home, when that home is South Central LA. At his salary level, I can think of more than a few reasons to forego a Million and a half to live in Glastonbury over Crenshaw and it's not just because I prefer snow over earthquakes. True, Ollie may very well live in Beverly Hills or in a better socioeconomic neighborhood, but then the "Going Home" argument is blown right out of the water as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not necessarily, there is typically a buy out for something less than what is owed for the remainder of the contract.

Yes necessarily, you think Ollie is signing a contract without a big guarantee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom