Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

TJT

Reaction Score
Beware the former fired disgruntled employee.

For those celebrating Glenn Miller for being a rat. Consider that he likely did so with the consent of Jim Calhoun as JC hired him after this. Also consider Calhoun's words and actions toward Ollie in the last year. The problem now however is that UConn has another former fired disgruntled employee (KO). With the school's hardball actions and those of GM and JC, Ollie may now feel free to repay them in kind and rat them all out. There are sure to be plenty of things Calhoun and UConn will not want made public. This could easily and quickly get much nastier. In hindsight, paying KO the 10M to go away and stay silent may actually have been the best option back in March.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sure thing buddy - we won’t note the morality and ethics of state employees.

That’s a solid idea.

Mebbe stick to soup?
I admire your tenacity in trying to protect a narrative of your own creation that you claim as indisputable. It's a
good quality for an advocate. Kind of.

The flaw, yet again, is your penchant for misrepresentating what others say or mean and then pressing on as though you've settled the matter.

Be confident, not delusional.

For the record, soup is seasonal
and closed up in April. Since then, there's been an inaugural vegan-friendly neighbors' potluck, a successful OneDayGiveAway (no-cost yard sale), and I'm on my way home to host 6 additional acts performing on the front porch as part of international Make Music Day. Hope this helps you to keep up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If we trade Ollie for one lost scholarship it's the deal of the century

What about one lost scholarship and 7 million dollars. Still worth it?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I know you aren’t being sarcastic which is a scary disconnect from planet Earth.

Many schools systematically cover up rape and assault. 6 figure amounts are passed from shoe companies, boosters and coaches to players, families and hanger ons.

Other than stuff that reads like a fever dream Miller had after getting fired the violations are so pedestrian as to be comical for 1,300 pages.

This is a great lesson for the next generation. Don't set your own standards, play as dirty as your peers and throw a fit when you get nailed for it and they don't. Nice role model

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So the answer is no - there isn’t any ridiculous thing you won’t contend to avoid facing reality.

Glad we cleared that up.

Answer this question honestly - could Benedict have said "no, we can't do this" when Pearl was hired, and have it stick?

Either way - I'll be honest - this has always been a contract issue with me, and the stuff released more than satisfies the verbiage of the contract. It's usually best to remove emotion when 7 or 8 figures is involved.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Riddle me this folks.

If David Benedict cares so deeply for these major transgressions...

When he was COO of the Auburn athletic department they hired BRUCE PEARL?

So please for the love of God stop pretending this is about violations.

Here is my take. He was fired for being a terrible basketball coach, neglecting his duties and probably for some personal stuff that people found distasteful. He also committed NCAA violations, so the school fired him for cause instead of without cause. I don't have a problem with that.

Would they fire him if we made the tournament the last two years and maybe one a run to the sweet 16? Of course not. But he didn't. Instead he failed at his job, which was his fault. I don't know what they has to do with whether they use his violations to avoid the buyout.

Edit: I'm increasingly convinced that positions on this are shaped by a general view of the world, and some people see Ollie as just another little guy getting screwed by the man. I don't think he deserves much sympathy, as a guy who has made millions, including six million even over the last two years in a job where he didn't live up to his responsibilities.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As an aside.

This is just ramping up. This isn't the end of this at all by saying " that's enough for just cause, we are done now" .

It probably is enough for cause . No problems there.

But what I'm talking about is the ancillary dirt that the administration and Calhoun and this process has caused is going to be unearthed and dragged across national news for quite a while now.

It ain't going to be pretty.

What's the other dirt that the NCAA didn't uncover in their investigation and hence not inquire about? Honest question. How and why does more stuff come out now?

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't even think they would have had to pay the entire buyout. Even half would have made the school look better, but no they had to play hardball and now UConn gets raked over the coals again. It's either the NCAA or the Media constantly barraging us, and it never seems to end. The admin can't seem to avoid stepping on grenades either.

You don't think the university offered to settle beforehand?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Chill = Nike EYBL and shoe companies are the way you funnel money

Why the hell did Fultz go to Washington?

Edit: BTW this is just Ollie trying to play the game that everyone else was playing - so not necessarily and indictment against him. He obviously thought getting recruits would solve all his problems even though I think at this point it's pretty clear he was failing at the coaching aspect as well

Not saying nothing untoward went on, but Chillious had the good fortune to be on Fultz before everyone else. Being from MD, he had connects that had him look at some 5'9 JV player. He built the relationship from there. Kid eventually grew and blew up.

Reaction Score
This isn't absolving Ollie of blame.

It's holding a scumbag rat accountable for his own actions.

Is he a rat or is he truthfully answering questions asked by an NCAA investigator? These questions were asked after he had been fired, so I doubt he would have considered lying for his ex-boss. I have no idea what is reality and what are lies.

August_West

Reaction Score
I don’t see Calhoun encouraging Miller to speculate about bad optic stuff he can’t back up.

I don’t either.

I hope he doesn’t harbor the rat now.

August_West

Reaction Score
Is he a rat or is he truthfully answering questions asked by an NCAA investigator? These questions were asked after he had been fired, so I doubt he would have considered lying for his ex-boss. I have no idea what is reality and what are lies.

Did you read his 3rd hand stammering accounts?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
At this time there is no evidence of it

There's no evidence either way though. In this case, everybody's making up their own narrative.

As it stands, what we've found merely opened up a Pandora's box of further questions.

I still want to know if someone can lay out an exact timeline for everything we know so far. That'd be a start.

PWS

Reaction Score
He's being a realist. Benedict and Herbst fubared Ollies extension and are pretending this is about ethics to get out from under their mistake. When these minor, petty violations land us on probation, will we still think these charades were worth it?

"Benedict and Herbst fubared Ollies extension" First, it was negotiated by Manual. But, you seem to have a very short memory as to what was going on at the time. Ollie just came off a NC, and more than one NBA team (Lakers, OKC) was sniffing around with rumors of $5M-$6M offers. Ollie and his agent struck when the iron was hot. Good for them. You and the rest of this Board would have gone absolutely crazy if we didn't re-sign Ollie bc we were too cheap. This Board would have indicted the whole state & maybe all of New England. It may have been the biggest meltdown of all time. Ollie had options.

If you are negotiating a $21M deal, both sides will have good counsel & if we were going to agree to Ollie's demands, then you hat to get what you can & tighten the screws on how he should run his program. He did not live up to those contract terms. He signed it and then jerked around. That is big boy money. That's how it works. I don't think it was a mistake to guarantee Ollie's contract. It was what he demanded & it seemed to be what the top coaches were and still are getting. They could have rolled the dice and said no, & Ollie could have walked. Who knows? and in hindsight, we would have been better off, but if that happened it would have been a catastrophe.

It is really easy to have all the answers 5 years later.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Benedict and Herbst fubared Ollies extension" First, it was negotiated by Manual. But, you seem to have a very short memory as to what was going on at the time. Ollie just came off a NC, and more than one NBA team (Lakers, OKC) was sniffing around with rumors of $5M-$6M offers. Ollie and his agent struck when the iron was hot. Good for them. You and the rest of this Board would have gone absolutely crazy if we didn't re-sign Ollie bc we were too cheap. This Board would have indicted the whole state & maybe all of New England. It may have been the biggest meltdown of all time. Ollie had options.

If you are negotiating a $21M deal, both sides will have good counsel & if we were going to agree to Ollie's demands, then you hat to get what you can & tighten the screws on how he should run his program. He did not live up to those contract terms. He signed it and then jerked around. That is big boy money. That's how it works. I don't think it was a mistake to guarantee Ollie's contract. It was what he demanded & it seemed to be what the top coaches were and still are getting. They could have rolled the dice and said no, & Ollie could have walked. Who knows? and in hindsight, we would have been better off, but if that happened it would have been a catastrophe.

It is really easy to have all the answers 5 years later.

The November 2016 extension was 100% on Benedict.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom