Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That may be true that there are worse violations in the college basketball world than what Ollie did, but that fact doesn't make the many things he did OK and not subject to disciplinary action.

Yeah I’m sure if they went to the Sweet Sixteen there would be disciplinary action.

Stop - this is penny ante garbage - way below the table stakes of running a competitve program.

1,300 pages to come up with jaywalking and the retelling of what Glen Miller’s wife neglected to mention before he got fired. LOL.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m sure if they went to the Sweet Sixteen there would be disciplinary action.

Stop - this is penny ante garbage - way below the table stakes of running a competitve program.

1,300 pages to come up with jaywalking and the retelling of what Glen Miller’s wife neglected to mention before he got fired. LOL.
Don't be so naive.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Would you fight him on a train? Would you fight him on a plane?
Would you fight him in the sunshine?
Would you fight him in the rain?
With his reputation rising?
Or circling the drain?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't think Ollie can dig up a million different transgressions? You are that naive to think similar stuff doesn't go on everywhere including under Calhoun?

Man I'd like to live in your lollipop and unicorn world. It sounds dreamy.

That may be true that there are worse violations in the college basketball world than what Ollie did, but that fact doesn't make the many things he did OK and not subject to disciplinary action.

Riddle me this folks.

If David Benedict cares so deeply for these major transgressions...

When he was COO of the Auburn athletic department they hired BRUCE PEARL?

So please for the love of God stop pretending this is about violations.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this folks.

Stop being so obtuse.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Good idea. I Guarantee that 76 yr old Irishman still hits like a brick

Calhoun's coach at AIC was also the manager of a club I worked at in college. He told me a story about Calhoun getting mugged by a couple guys while in Boston - "all three ended up in the ER, and Jim still had his wallet."

No idea if it's true, but it does sound like JC.

Reaction Score
Would you fight him in the sunshine?
Would you fight him in the rain?
With his reputation rising?
Or circling the drain?
Nice to know there are other Dr Seus fans out there. I think it’s more important than ever that Ollie take the advice I gave him last year.

The time has come
The time is now
Just go, go, go
we don’t care how
But Kevin Ollie won’t you please Go Now!

You can go by bus
You can go by snail
You can stamp yourself and go by mail
Kevin Ollie we don’t care how
Kevin Ollie won’t you please go NOW!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Riddle me this folks.

And you'll stop pretending that legal process and agent-facilitated negotiation are best viewed through the lens of morality?

Next step is arbitration, unless settlement precedes it.

Why so much self-certainty around matters with remaining questions?

It can't be in order to get @Javjudah 's, Like, no matter how many times you point elsewhere to who aligns with someone else.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Riddle me this folks.

...and when Jim Calhoun was the men's coach, we hired Hathaway. Does that make Calhoun a bad coach, because it's about as relevant as the "COO" of an AD, in terms of hiring a coach?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calhoun's coach at AIC was also the manager of a club I worked at in college. He told me a story about Calhoun getting mugged by a couple guys while in Boston - "all three ended up in the ER, and Jim still had his wallet."

That was reported a few times over the years. I absolutely believe it.

Not as clear whether @August_West was one of the muggers.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And you'll stop pretending that legal process and agent-facilitated negotiation are best viewed through the lens of morality?

Next step is arbitration, unless settlement precedes it.

Why so much self-certainty around matters with remaining questions?

It can't be in order to get @Javjudah 's, Like, no matter how many times you point elsewhere to who aligns with someone else.

Sure thing buddy - we won’t note the morality and ethics of state employees.

That’s a solid idea.

Mebbe stick to soup?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
...and when Jim Calhoun was the men's coach, we hired Hathaway. Does that make Calhoun a bad coach, because it's about as relevant as the "COO" of an AD, in terms of hiring a coach?

Yes I’m sure the Chief Operating Office of the Auburn athletic department wasn’t involved in hiring a basketball coach.

Is there any ridiculous thing you people won’t contend to avoid what is so blatently obvious?

A little honesty about your position is not going to kill you.

Reaction Score
Sure thing buddy - we won’t note the morality and ethics of state employees.

That’s a solid idea.

Mebbe stick to soup?
So ethics and morality don't apply to your coaches but does apply to the administration?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's being a realist. Benedict and Herbst fubared Ollies extension and are pretending this is about ethics to get out from under their mistake. When these minor, petty violations land us on probation, will we still think these charades were worth it?
Charade? NCAA transgressions are specifically listed as ground for a just cause under KO's contract. Tough to understand all the faux outrage.

Reaction Score
To whom?

The expectation is also that the said coaches will work their arses off and win.

KO wasn't fired over a mundane technicality, he was fired because he did a terrible job. What we're arguing about is whether UConn owes him money. On that issue, one man's "mundane technicality" is another man's substantive term.

Link? I agree that Glen Miller has not covered himself with glory and should never get another D1 job. But link for the rest?

I'm not rooting for the architects of this mess. I'm rooting for the basketball program to return to its past glory. I could give a darn about the architects of this mess. If our program can return to glory with "the architects of this mess", I will root for that. If our program can return to glory without "the architects of this mess" I will root for that. I just want to enjoy watching UConn games again. What was clear at the end of last year was that KO needed to go for that to be a possibility. So thank god "the architects of this mess" had the stones to make that happen.

As for the "a few dollars" angle, my recollection is that you yourself started a prominent thread about how we would not be able to fire Ollie because we would not be able to pay the buyout. Do you now claim that $10 million is chump change?

Brass tacks, Ollie's not fighting his dismissal, he's fighting whether he's entitled to $10 million as a result. So is UConn. So yeah, I'd say that's the same.

There is literally nothing more to say on this particular topic. You have covered this angle fully. Nice job.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes I’m sure the Chief Operating Office of the Auburn athletic department wasn’t involved in hiring a basketball coach.

Is there any ridiculous thing you people won’t contend to avoid what is so blatently obvious?

A little honesty about your position is not going to kill you.

Are you also saying that Calhoun had no pull himself at the time? Wasn't consulted?

Hell, you could just as easily make the case that Benedict LEFT because of the hiring of Pearl. Like you know either way...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you also saying that Calhoun had no pull himself at the time? Wasn't consulted?

Hell, you could just as easily make the case that Benedict LEFT because of the hiring of Pearl. Like you know either way...

So the answer is no - there isn’t any ridiculous thing you won’t contend to avoid facing reality.

Glad we cleared that up.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's pretty obvious both sides are to blame here - the administration wouldn't be firing Ollie (or have cared if he violated NCAA rules) if we were winning. However, Ollie did some pretty egregious stuff (Bruce Pearl was originally given the "dirty coach" tag after inviting a player to his house for a barbecue -- MUCH worse than flying three players to Atlanta to work with a professional trainer, all expenses paid, obviously), and absolutely broke the "just cause" clause of his contract.

C

Chief00

I don’t believe Miller. The timing (Miller says he was told after he was fired) protects him from the violation of not reporting it as an employee. Do you really think his wife isn’t going to tell him that shocking news in real time?

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I feel like the more I read about Glen Miller's testimony the more I cringe - there's a lot of hearsay in there.

He even couched it by "and I gain--it's not--I don't have the facts...". Seriously? 'I have no idea but....here's a juicy rumor, NCAA.'

C

Chief00

He also beat off a mugger while jogging along the Charles River - what crazy mugger would pick him at his age then? Maybe it’s a variation of the same story or a different one?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom