Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You really think his skills will deteriorate in five years? At age 24? Because if so, you just made a very compelling case to go make money now while he still can.

I also wonder if you feel this way about the juniors who turn pro off the UConn baseball team?
Apropos of nothing, Hamilton turns 21 in August of this year (I wasn't aware until just now, but he shares my son's birthday), so by the beginning of his 5th season, he will be 26 and given that the average NBA career is 4.8 seasons, 5 years seems an appropriate benchmark.

Because if so, you just made a very compelling case to go make money now while he still can.

I'd agree...if it were duck you money, but it's not.

I'll admit that "Deteriorate" is a subjective term, but yes, around 26 is when the average athlete also approaches the apex of their skills. At that point, the question becomes how does that apex compare to the potential ceiling of a younger player? It may just be optics, but it seems to me that NBA decision makers favor younger players coming out of college over veteran European free agents.

I also wonder if you feel this way about the juniors who turn pro off the UConn baseball team?

Apples and oranges. College Juniors are automatically eligible for the MLB amateur draft. They don't have to declare and give up their remaining eligibility, They can also turn down the draft selection by reenrolling in college for their senior year. If they aren't drafted, it's pretty much a no brainer...Stay in school and hopefully sign on with a team after your senior year, if they wish to pursue that dream...Salaries of minor leaguers is nowhere near duck You money either. You can probably make more yelling" Welcome to Moe's."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg ‏@SethOnHoops 3m3 minutes ago
Daniel Hamilton,What are you thinking and who are you listening to?You have a coach that has done and seen it all.I suggest you take notes

Seth just saying the same thing many of us are saying, listen to the man who's walked the walk (and more so than anybody, he understands what it takes)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Define education. Most students aren't encouraged to take 2 online classes a semester so they can focus on basketball, travel 1000's of miles, and be away from campus for a week straight. So while technically a family like the Hamilton's don't have to pay tuition, Daniel's education does indeed come at a price.

I don't have to define education. I defined "free." Not one single piece of monetary currency transfers possession from an athlete with a full-ride to the University related to the bare necessities of what constitutes an educational opportunity.

That aside, do you have Hamilton's transcript in front of you? Are you privy to discussions between him and his academic counselor? Or him and Kevin Freeman? Are you just making S.W.A.G.s based on what is posted on Twitter, this, and other message boards? My guesses are No, No, No, and Yes. While I suspect, I don't KNOW why Hamilton only took 2 online courses and I don't know if that was encouraged, let alone any reasons why. On the other hand, I also don't see the relevance. Basketball players (heck any student) routinely take summer courses to make up for missed classes throughout the year.

This final one is neither here nor there, but which road trip required UConn basketball players to miss a week of school? I'm just curious.

Reaction Score
He could have been the next Rip Hamilton. Instead he will be the next Andre Drummond, not here long enough to leave a lasting impact.

Reaction Score
OK you had your laugh
I find this offensive, not funny at all
I have been a volunteer for the Special Olympics for decades and have a special needs brother
Your attempt at humor is way off color
AND I am not sensitive - just appalled at some dweebs sense of humor
Oh for duck's sake.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Daniel Hamilton either has the natural ability, work ethic, and drive to be an NBA player or he doesn't. Whether or not he went to UConn next year has no effect on that, whatsoever. Granted, I don't think Hamilton exhibited those skills in his 2 years at UConn, but I'm not an NBA scout.

HOWEVER, it's far easier to realize that potential, and put money in the bank in case it doesn't work out, or you get injured, if you land a first round, guaranteed contract. THAT is where Hamilton is likely to miss out. Can he get to the NBA through the D league or Europe, etc. ? Yes. But it's harder and the margin for error is a lot smaller.

If he truly didn't like the school aspect of D1 hoops, that's understandable, I guess.

Reaction Score
I don't have to define education. I defined "free." Not one single piece of monetary currency transfers possession from an athlete with a full-ride to the University related to the bare necessities of what constitutes an educational opportunity.

That aside, do you have Hamilton's transcript in front of you? Are you privy to discussions between him and his academic counselor? Or him and Kevin Freeman? Are you just making S.W.A.G.s based on what is posted on Twitter, this, and other message boards? My guesses are No, No, No, and Yes. While I suspect, I don't KNOW why Hamilton only took 2 online courses and I don't know if that was encouraged, let alone any reasons why. On the other hand, I also don't see the relevance. Basketball players (heck any student) routinely take summer courses to make up for missed classes throughout the year.

This final one is neither here nor there, but which road trip required UConn basketball players to miss a week of school? I'm just curious.
What regular student takes two online classes a semester and a full course load over the summer? Ummm, none do. That alone tells you it's not about education. Just ask Ben Simmons.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He could have been the next Rip Hamilton. Instead he will be the next Andre Drummond, not here long enough to leave a lasting impact.

I wouldn't make that analogy. If he were a lottery pick, this thread would be a whole lot shorter

And AD left when the wheels seem to be falling off, right wrong or indifferent

Reaction Score
This thread is a cesspool, all of a sudden Seth Greenberg is being held up as some great basketball mind , and not the ESPN talking head he is.

Bottom line next year would be even harder for Hamilton to get drafted ; he'd be 22 entering camp, and the 2017 draft is just loaded. Show me someone who shot below 40% from three AND FGS, then all of a sudden made a leap to first rounder junior year? (Don't say Kemba , he was touted a first round pick prior to his junior year).

I just don't get why some of you are so up in arms like this is a grave mistake, there wasn't some magical pixie dust waiting in storrs to give him longer arms and more athleticism.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What regular student takes two online classes a semester and a full course load over the summer? Ummm, none do. That alone tells you it's not about education. Just ask Ben Simmons.

I had an internship during my 6th semester and only got credit (6) if I wrote a paper. I then took three classes during the following summer in order to get to get back on track to graduate in 4 years (I never said a "full course load" over the summer.). Do you know why I did that? It was part of the plan I laid out with my academic adviser, just as it was laid out for about 40 of my classmates.

While they did not offer online courses when I was in Storrs, I don't see how their worth is diminished at all as compared to an in-classroom course, at least not for the current generation of "regular student."

Ben Simmons is (yet another) red herring in this discussion, but to answer your original question (What regular student takes two online classes a semester and a full course load over the summer?),...me...and 3 dozen others in my major alone.

Reaction Score
I just don't get why some of you are so up in arms like this is a grave mistake, there wasn't some magical pixie dust waiting in storrs to give him longer arms and more athleticism.

This feels a bit revisionist, seems to imply that Hamilton was never going to be a first-round talent.

This was a guy who was a Top 30 recruit, highly skilled, with every expectation that he'd be the next in a line of stud wings from Ray to Rip to Caron to Rudy to Lamb to carry this program's banner in the NBA.

I don't buy that he was always limited and that the NBA was a stretch.

Reaction Score
Somebody tell DHam to call Buddy Hield and DeAndre Daniels ASAP. They would both tell him that staying in college and seasoning his game is the right decision if his dream is having a significant NBA career.

Reaction Score
This feels a bit revisionist, seems to imply that Hamilton was never going to be a first-round talent.

This was a guy who was a Top 30 recruit, highly skilled, with every expectation that he'd be the next in a line of stud wings from Ray to Rip to Caron to Rudy to Lamb to carry this program's banner in the NBA.

I don't buy that he was always limited and that the NBA was a stretch.

When Hamilton left his jumper in cali with his Belmont shore jersey, the book was written on him. All those guys you mentioned had better physical profiles and more athleticism.

I would be up in arms just like some here if he was actually a 'raw' prospect with tons of room to grow. You see some one like rip Hamilton , who had a similar frosh year %s, make a serious leap his sophomore year ...there's upside there and It wouldn't have made sense to leave early. I don't see that kind of trajectory with dham.

Reaction Score
Somebody tell DHam to call Buddy Hield and DeAndre Daniels ASAP. They would both tell him that staying in college and seasoning his game is the right decision if his dream is having a significant NBA career.
On it Boss!

Reaction Score
Hamilton was on a better trajectory than Denzel Valentine, he just needed to improve the 3 point shooting and decision making.

Reaction Score
Go take a look at buddy hields sophomore year numbers. And Daniels was 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan: physical tools.

Reaction Score
I had an internship during my 6th semester and only got credit (6) if I wrote a paper. I then took three classes during the following summer in order to get to get back on track to graduate in 4 years (I never said a "full course load" over the summer.). Do you know why I did that? It was part of the plan I laid out with my academic adviser, just as it was laid out for about 40 of my classmates.

While they did not offer online courses when I was in Storrs, I don't see how their worth is diminished at all as compared to an in-classroom course, at least not for the current generation of "regular student."

Ben Simmons is (yet another) red herring in this discussion, but to answer your original question (What regular student takes two online classes a semester and a full course load over the summer?),...me...and 3 dozen others in my major alone.
It really is a shame you couldn't speak to Dham before his decision to remind him how valuable A free education is. Maybe, just maybe, he would have changed his mind.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Can't reason with someone who doesn't want to be reasoned with (or can't seem to stay on point). It seems people on this message board have the same problem.

Circumstantial evidence indicates Hamilton wasn't interested in college. Fine. Be gone. Better he leaves now than to have a deep Tourney run vacated in disgrace.

Incidentally, did you find the road trip that forced the basketball team to miss a week's worth of classes?

Reaction Score
Go take a look at buddy hields sophomore year numbers. And Daniels was 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan: physical tools.

I honestly want to see DHam succeed either way.
I just hope his story turns out more like Rudy Gay's and not DeAndre's...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What I don't get is why people think that Hamilton's leaving is a horrible thing for the team. His departure has Ewing Theory written all over it.

FUN FACT: The guy that first came up with the Ewing Theory is a UConn fan. And what set his FT thoughts in motion was the season after Donyell left.

Reaction Score
Hamilton was on a better trajectory than Denzel Valentine, he just needed to improve the 3 point shooting and decision making.
He needed to improve his shooting from everywhere on the floor 3 point line and in, I'm still kinda amazed just how undersold on this board how poorly DHam shot from the field his 2 years here. Sam Vecenie of CBSSports is a herb, but his write ups on DHam have been pretty spot on with the emphasis on how bad his shotmaking ability has been.

Reaction Score
He needed to improve his shooting from everywhere on the floor 3 point line and in, I'm still kinda amazed just how undersold on this board how poorly DHam shot from the field his 2 years here. Sam Vecenie of CBSSports is a herb, but his write ups on DHam have been pretty spot on with the emphasis on how bad his shotmaking ability has been.
He did improve in the latter part of the season it seemed though

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why people think that Hamilton's leaving is a horrible thing for the team. His departure has Ewing Theory written all over it.

FUN FACT: The guy that first came up with the Ewing Theory is a UConn fan. And what set his FT thoughts in motion was the season after Donyell left.

This actually isn't an absurd idea, and it has crossed my mind.

Hamilton, for all his apparent skill and stat-stuffing, doesn't really fit within the flow of an effective offense. He's a ball-stopper, he doesn't drive and kick, he doesn't get to the rim all that effectively. He gets assists largely on the strength of his usage (i.e. the fact that without the ball in his hands, he doesn't do much). His individual effort on the boards will be missed, but we might actually be a more cohesive unit without him.

In terms of leadership and toughness, Purvis emotionally and Adams in an on-ball sense, will have the reins. Hamilton didn't provide much in this area either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom