Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Special Olympics does not count.
OK you had your laugh
I find this offensive, not funny at all
I have been a volunteer for the Special Olympics for decades and have a special needs brother
Your attempt at humor is way off color
AND I am not sensitive - just appalled at some dweebs sense of humor

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All I have to say is don't let the door hit you on your way out. I typically don't begrudge players for leaving early and doing what's best for them, particularly if their stock is peaking, but this just feels like abandoning the team. After watching him in frustration for two years, thinking he may actually fill his potential next year, he bolts. Sorry, but when I look back on the former players, he just isn't going to feel to me like a special part of the Husky family.
DHam sends his luv back ay you

Reaction Score
But. DHam was Ollie's first big recruit and helped with getting the program righted. So, good luck.

He gave KO credibility with other highly-touted recruits, but let's not forget he was also supposed to be KO's first high NBA draft pick, further enhancing that credibility. Instead, we have to hope Jalen Adams or someone else can carry the torch.

With Ray, Rip, Caron, Emeka retiring, and the draft classes of 2006 and 2009 underachieving, our NBA presence is dwindling. The recruiting pitch of "we put guys in the League" isn't going to be taken as seriously as it used to be. KO clearly hasn't had much to work with in this regard in terms of the players he inherited, but 4 years in a recruit will ask "OK, who have you gotten to stick in the NBA?"

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He gave KO credibility with other highly-touted recruits, but let's not forget he was also supposed to be KO's first high NBA draft pick, further enhancing that credibility. Instead, we have to hope Jalen Adams or someone else can carry the torch.

With Ray, Rip, Caron, Emeka retiring, and the draft classes of 2006 and 2009 underachieving, our NBA presence is dwindling. The recruiting pitch of "we put guys in the League" isn't going to be taken as seriously as it used to be. KO clearly hasn't had much to work with in this regard in terms of the players he inherited, but 4 years in a recruit will ask "OK, who have you gotten to stick in the NBA?"
Even you must get tired of this stuff eventually, right?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Maybe we'll be better without him. Seems like he knew he was going to declare all season, and some of the things he's said are just straight up delusional. Maybe he was a chemistry black hole. I'll trade great chemistry for his wishy-washy talent any day.

Reaction Score
If he wants to just play somewhere in this world - OK, can't argue with that. You can collect a nice paycheck in Europe or China these days.

As an NBA prospect - late 2nd round AT BEST and probably on min contract.

Reaction Score
30 NBA teams, 2 rounds, 60 players drafted. Between all Seniors, eligible underclassmen and foreign players, does anyone believe (really believe) D Ham is in the top 60 ? IMO, he was better as a freshman than sophmore.

At least there is the D league, Europe, Australia, etc. Maybe improve his game in one of those leagues. Good Luck Daniel.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UConn players that went significantly higher the year they left than they would have went to prior year
Bazz
Kemba
AJ
Thabeet
Chaz
Ben
Meka
Caron

UConn players that went significantly lower because they stayed a year

any have one? maybe Special K, but probably not

of course staying a year CAN make a difference, history proves that

to argue otherwise is kinda silly

Reaction Score
UConn players that went significantly higher the year they left than they would have went to prior year
Bazz
Kemba
AJ
Thabeet
Chaz
Ben
Meka
Caron

of course staying a year CAN make a difference, history proves that

to argue otherwise is kinda silly

Sticks maybe would have done better coming out after the Final Four. But it's definitely a shorter list.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bazz
Kemba
AJ
Thabeet
Chaz
Ben
Meka
Caron

any questions?
You left Richard Hamilton off your first list. Though he had roughly the same type of year his Junior season as he did as a Sophomore, he likely was not a lottery pick without the National Championship run. The only names I could come up with for your second list were maybe Dyson and Robinson.

It's all moot. Daniel Hamilton is about to be a college drop out and if he wasn't 6'-7" with a decent handle for his size, he'd be a nameless statistic. He is walking away from a free college education. An education that obviously would have been valued much higher by someone else and an education that will most definitely not be free, should he decide to return to school.

At the end of the day, Hamilton has a rare skill that people are willing to pay for...now and yes, a basketball player can make a decent living overseas. Is it "duck you" money? It wasn't in 2013 and there is no real clear path back State-side. What happens in 5 years when that skill starts to deteriorate? Does he become the tall, vaguely familiar looking, chicken scooper yelling, "WELCOME TO MOE'S!" when I'm in the mood for a Home-wrecker? That's is the real shame of the story. UConn basketball will endure, but an individual's basketball skills have a limited window.

Reaction Score
You left Richard Hamilton off your first list. Though he had roughly the same type of year his Junior season as he did as a Sophomore, he likely was not a lottery pick without the National Championship run. The only names I could come up with for your second list were maybe Dyson and Robinson.

It's all moot. Daniel Hamilton is about to be a college drop out and if he wasn't 6'-7" with a decent handle for his size, he'd be a nameless statistic. He is walking away from a free college education. An education that obviously would have been valued much higher by someone else and an education that will most definitely not be free, should he decide to return to school.

At the end of the day, Hamilton has a rare skill that people are willing to pay for...now and yes, a basketball player can make a decent living overseas. Is it "duck you" money? It wasn't in 2013 and there is no real clear path back State-side. What happens in 5 years when that skill starts to deteriorate? Does he become the tall, vaguely familiar looking, chicken scooper yelling, "WELCOME TO MOE'S!" when I'm in the mood for a Home-wrecker? That's is the real shame of the story. UConn basketball will endure, but an individual's basketball skills have a limited window.
Now you sound like the NCAA. Please, not the free education argument.

Reaction Score

You really think his skills will deteriorate in five years? At age 24? Because if so, you just made a very compelling case to go make money now while he still can.

I also wonder if you feel this way about the juniors who turn pro off the UConn baseball team?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You really think his skills will deteriorate in five years? At age 24? Because if so, you just made a very compelling case to go make money now while he still can.

I also wonder if you feel this way about the juniors who turn pro off the UConn baseball team?
Skills deteriorate faster when you're playing overseas, with lesser conditioning and medical staffs.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I mean, it's really not. You have the best facilities in the world in the NBA

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now you sound like the NCAA. Please, not the free education argument.

The NCAA has some crazy draconian rules to maintain "amateurism," while they and the school make money hand over fist on the backs of its players, but explain how the education is not paid for by someone other than (in this case) Daniel Hamilton or his family, thereby making it free to him?

Reaction Score
The NCAA has some crazy draconian rules to maintain "amateurism," while they and the school make money hand over fist on the backs of its players, but explain how the education is not paid for by someone other than (in this case) Daniel Hamilton or his family, thereby making it free to him?
Define education. Most students aren't encouraged to take 2 online classes a semester so they can focus on basketball, travel 1000's of miles, and be away from campus for a week straight. So while technically a family like the Hamilton's don't have to pay tuition, Daniel's education does indeed come at a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom