Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, how awesome!!!! If you can get a D-league slot, how can you NOT leave early? It is an incredible opportunity and a dream come true.

Reaction Score
You think 1 extra year of UConn would make that huge of a difference?

I think he just didn't want to be in school and was told he would probably be a 2nd round pick with a chance to make the league and if not, go to Europe and make good money.

Yeah, seriously, there is no way the kid was going to improve under Ollie and a college degree is way overrated. Even in a worst case scenario where he gets injured in his first year in the D-league or in Europe, he will make way more money in that one year than he would have made in an entire career with whatever degree he could have gotten at UConn.

Reaction Score
Yeah, seriously, there is no way the kid was going to improve under Ollie and a college degree is way overrated. Even in a worst case scenario where he gets injured in his first year in the D-league or in Europe, he will make way more money in that one year than he would have made in an entire career with whatever degree he could have gotten at UConn.

Actually, I think a college degree is somewhat overrated. Either way though, why not just be happy for the kid and move on?

Reaction Score
He can always come back and get his degree if that's important to him. He preferred the idea of playing basketball for money over staying in school, it's as simple as that. No need to keep bashing him.

Reaction Score
Sad to see some folks who are self-avowed fans of our program ripping the kid.

Are you mocking him because it makes you feel better? Is it an "I told you so" for you?

Kid gave us two years of effort. The absolute least we can do is not be vicious with the insults. Jesus - it's like these Morans are happy he got drafted low.

Reaction Score
I poked fun at the salary of dleague players but I'm going to be rooting like hell for him to stick and keep our NBA lineage going.

C

Chief00

I think he made a major mistake leaving, but I am happy he got drafted. I hope he works with laser focus on getting much stronger and his shot. Both need huge improvement. Hopefully, this settles the debate about Travis's unconventional S&C academic theories - the NBA guys are not buying it and Daniel's lack of strength was often mentioned by experts as a major negative.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Hamilton envisioned this scenario when he left UConn.

Whoever offered him the advice that convinced him to bounce did him no favors.

I wouldn't give him better than 50-50 odds of spending even a decent stretch of one season in the NBA.
Everyone in the program advised him to stay in school. He and his family were dead set on going. I hope it works out for him.

Reaction Score
FWIW...I thought he should have stayed in school. But, now its basically up to Daniel himself. How hard he wants to work, how much desire he will have will be the key for sure.... Maturity comes at different times, in different ways for young men. Sometimes the wisdom light comes on early enough, sometimes it doesnt till +40 years of age. If he gets the right mentor-coach, trains really hard and never gives up, he may make it. It could happen. After all, if he performed badly at the combine in strength and agility drills, and still had played decent in college while he was at UCONN, what could happen if he trained hard and disciplined himself? We will see. Hope he keeps his priorities straight and does well.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Sad to see some folks who are self-avowed fans of our program ripping the kid.

Are you mocking him because it makes you feel better? Is it an "I told you so" for you?

Kid gave us two years of effort. The absolute least we can do is not be vicious with the insults. Jesus - it's like these Morans are happy he got drafted low.

Much like the "haters" crap people love to post I see no one mocking or saying "I told you so." They are simply stating their opinion on what is going to happen to him in the future. People disagree, WTF is wrong with this place we can say what we feel as long as we're not saying "I hope DHam sucks and doesn't play anywhere because he's an awful player" - there's none of that going on.

People, including myself, feel he should have stayed as his future in the NBA isn't looking good. But he had other ideas so good for him, we wish him luck and hope his journey somehow results in the ultimate dream someday. He has a ways to go is all.

Reaction Score
Much like the "haters" crap people love to post I see no one mocking or saying "I told you so." They are simply stating their opinion on what is going to happen to him in the future. People disagree, WTF is wrong with this place we can say what we feel as long as we're not saying "I hope DHam sucks and doesn't play anywhere because he's an awful player" - there's none of that going on.

People, including myself, feel he should have stayed as his future in the NBA isn't looking good. But he had other ideas so good for him, we wish him luck and hope his journey somehow results in the ultimate dream someday. He has a ways to go is all.
That's not how it comes across. Especially now. To me, the people who still say DHam made a poor decision are highlighting their self interests as fans not his. This turned out about as well as it could for DHam.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think Ham went into this with his eyes closed. He knew he was a secnd round pick at best. He was clearly done with school and wanted to start earning money. Which he will, even if it's overseas.

It's silly to look at it any other way.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Mixed feelings, he was drafted and that seems to be a good thing, but late second round picks are often better off being a free agent so they can try out for teams they fit in with

Good luck Daniel

Reaction Score
Wow, how awesome!!!! If you can get a D-league slot, how can you NOT leave early? It is an incredible opportunity and a dream come true.
For OKC to retain his rights, he will be rewarded a nba contract. My guess is in the 400k-700k range guaranteed. Under this scenario, he will earn more here than in Europe. He will also make far more than the average 2016 uconn graduate. Damn him for not staying in school!

Reaction Score
He can always come back and get his degree if that's important to him. He preferred the idea of playing basketball for money over staying in school, it's as simple as that. No need to keep bashing him.
Can you admit now that he has a shot at getting drafted??

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't think Ham went into this with his eyes closed. He knew he was a secnd round pick at best. He was clearly done with school and wanted to start earning money. Which he will, even if it's overseas.

It's silly to look at it any other way.

Paraphrasing Hamilton; "I'm hearing late first"

And I concur, no sense in looking back now

Reaction Score
You think 1 extra year of UConn would make that huge of a difference?

I think he just didn't want to be in school and was told he would probably be a 2nd round pick with a chance to make the league and if not, go to Europe and make good money.
Its another year of school...

You play in Europe, and finish your studies gradually in breaks back in the states, you have a degree so you can at least get some paper pushing cube monkey job if you need to. Is 'staying a year' always just one more year of college ball??

Reaction Score
-DHam enters draft
"He's making a huge mistake he'll never get drafted!"

-He underwhelms at the combine
"See! No chance! What a mistake!"

-He gets drafted
"Yeah, well it's still a mistake!"

Sure, people, you are free to say your opinions... and we are free to say your opinions are pathetic.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I think that at this point it just sounds like a broken record. He didn't stay. He left for the NBA and there's nothing that anybody can do about it now. Nothing good comes out of the constant "he should have stayed..." act, so we might as well be supportive in his decision. I know you aren't rooting against DHam and your interests are in the long term success of DHam. But the decision was made and we can only hope for the best at this point.

The road isn't going to be easy, but I'm still happy for him. Congrats DHam

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think that at this point it just sounds like a broken record. He didn't stay. He left for the NBA and there's nothing that anybody can do about it now. Nothing good comes out of the constant "he should have stayed..." act, so we might as well be supportive in his decision. I know you aren't rooting against DHam and your interests are in the long term success of DHam. But the decision was made and we can only hope for the best at this point.

The road isn't going to be easy, but I'm still happy for him. Congrats DHam

Hey I didn't even comment on his draft in this thread until I saw the crap. I have no problem bring up their thoughts again since it was the NBA draft last night and not 4 weeks ago. It was fresh again, something to talk about in what is a quiet summer. I believe many are happy for him why wouldn't we be and to root against the kid for a fans own good would be ridiculous, so I sincerely doubt anyone would do that. But I get what you're saying with the broken record and agree. But we need to understand it's the day after the draft, of course the lines of communication are going to open again.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There aren't many people that can say they've been drafted by an NBA team. Congrats D!

I look forward to following him during summer league play.

Reaction Score
Passing vision is mostly innate. Shooting and dribbling are fine skills that can be developed. Hamilton's nota great athlete, but if he can become more refined in the skills arena, there's definitely a place for his point forward type in today's game. Congrats and good luck DHam.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton committed to UConn when a lot of others wouldn't. He stayed with us when a lot of people said he wouldn't. He stepped up and led us to an AAC title and a tourney win when people said he couldn't. About 40 college basketball players in the entire nation heard their name called last night, Daniel Hamilton was one of them while some really really good players were not. If you are on here to do anything but congratulate D-Ham and wish him the best, you are doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom