Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Its another year of school...

You play in Europe, and finish your studies gradually in breaks back in the states, you have a degree so you can at least get some paper pushing cube monkey job if you need to. Is 'staying a year' always just one more year of college ball??

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with.

Reaction Score
You think 1 extra year of UConn would make that huge of a difference?

I think he just didn't want to be in school and was told he would probably be a 2nd round pick with a chance to make the league and if not, go to Europe and make good money.

Yes, I think so. I think he could have developed a consistent 3-pointer, improved his handle, and shown better defensively, all of which would have improved his draft stock next year. And all of which he will have to do to play in the NBA.

Anyway, congrats to DHam and best of luck in OKC. Now make the team.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think so. I think he could have developed a consistent 3-pointer, improved his handle, and shown better defensively, all of which would have improved his draft stock next year. And all of which he will have to do to play in the NBA.

Anyway, congrats to DHam and best of luck in OKC. Now make the team.
In a league that drafts on potential, more times than not the extra year hurts draft status. In a loaded 2017 draft, I honestly dont think DHam coming back would have helped his nba profile much. The downside of it hurting is more than the upside in it helping.

Reaction Score
You think 1 extra year of UConn would make that huge of a difference?

I think he just didn't want to be in school and was told he would probably be a 2nd round pick with a chance to make the league and if not, go to Europe and make good money.
It certainly couldn't have hurt him. If he could have tightened his handle and improved his shooting %, I think he absolutely could have become a first round pick. This was a dreadful decision on his part from a basketball future perspective. That said, none of us on this board have any knowledge of why he really made it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Daniel does a lot of things teams like. He can handle the ball some. He can pass it, he can rebound. What he needs to work on is his strength, his defense, and his jumper. If I were him Id be living in the weight room, and when I wasn't in the weight room I'd be shooting NBA 3s.

Reaction Score
DHam is the perfect lunchpale type player that can fit into what OKC is doing. They have the established guys offensively.. he can provide intangibles.. I don't think he is ever going to be that go to guy like UCONN envisioned him to be up in Storrs, but he can fit a role.... Pick up the trash.. play solid D... make a solid pass... get a key rebound, a key putback.. key steal... That's him at the NBA level.. it'll take him farther than his brothers that are already playing at that level...

I wish him nothing but success.. He'll do fine...

Reaction Score
It certainly couldn't have hurt him.

I don't understand how people can continue to say things like this. Staying an extra year absolutely can hurt your stock. This isn't the 90s anymore. Teams aren't drafting ready-made players, by and large - they're drafting guys they think they can turn into stars. An extra year only helps if you develop a lot in that year, otherwise you're just a year older and less desirable.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how people can continue to say things like this. Staying an extra year absolutely can hurt your stock. This isn't the 90s anymore. Teams aren't drafting ready-made players, by and large - they're drafting guys they think they can turn into stars. An extra year only helps if you develop a lot in that year, otherwise you're just a year older and less desirable.
If staying another year hurts your stock you probably wont be a very good nba player anyway.

Reaction Score
Wish he stuck around, but happy for him he got picked. Good luck to him in the future.

Reaction Score

You are correct in many cases I agree (KEA and others). But in this case it's a no doubter that at the very least it wouldn't have been affected in the negative at all but instead had a chance to jump significantly. It doesn't mean it wasn't the right move for him at this tim with his mindset, it might be. But he wasn't going to shoot any worst, more than likely would have improved maybe even dramatically by instilling some better selection. He would have been a top rebounder again, a good passer. Shore up on his defense, become a more efficient scorer while having a more consistent year he would have jumped up the ratings I believe. How much, who knows but as much of a base he has the improvement would have been there. Problem is he wanted to move on and good for him, it's time. He knew the consequences and feels he can find a way to his dream. Should be an interesting journey we all wish him luck I am sure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hopefully, this settles the debate about Travis's unconventional S&C academic theories - the NBA guys are not buying it and Daniel's lack of strength was often mentioned by experts as a major negative.

Why would this settle the debate? It's going to be multiple guys. When Enoch leaves all jacked, is that gonna settle the debate in the opposite direction?

By far and away, the two most important negative factors for Daniels was athleticism/quickness and outside shot. His quickness/athleticism is only going to get marginally better at best.

Reaction Score
Your stock can be hurt for reasons that have nothing to do with your NBA potential. Your team could do worse overall, leading to less exposure. You could get injured. And obviously, you have to outperform the previous year by more than you lose from getting a year older, not just improve a bit.

Reaction Score
HE GOT DRAFTED 56TH!!! What, maybe staying would have meant he got drafted 60th instead? Or not drafted at all? I'd argue there's no damn difference. For whatever his reasons, he wanted to go. They were NOT because he was an NBA star in waiting and everyone knows it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is possible to say" I think another year would have helped Daniel" without being against him.
And does another year help anyone? Of course. Ask Kemba, Shabazz, Ray, Donyell. Another year after you underperformed relative to you perceived potential often helps.
People just love arguing even the most semantic b.s. here.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
You are correct in many cases I agree (KEA and others). But in this case it's a no doubter that at the very least it wouldn't have been affected in the negative at all but instead had a chance to jump significantly. It doesn't mean it wasn't the right move for him at this tim with his mindset, it might be. But he wasn't going to shoot any worst, more than likely would have improved maybe even dramatically by instilling some better selection. He would have been a top rebounder again, a good passer. Shore up on his defense, become a more efficient scorer while having a more consistent year he would have jumped up the ratings I believe. How much, who knows but as much of a base he has the improvement would have been there. Problem is he wanted to move on and good for him, it's time. He knew the consequences and feels he can find a way to his dream. Should be an interesting journey we all wish him luck I am sure.
Stole the words right out of my mouth, Mau. Obviously his shooting was a problem. I think the biggest problem is strength. It seemed to me that even at the college level he was getting out-muscled. That'll be WAY worse in the NBA. I think an extra year in the weight room would have been great for him.

Reaction Score
It is possible to say" I think another year would have helped Daniel" without being against him.
And does another year help anyone? Of course. Ask Kemba, Shabazz, Ray, Donyell. Another year after you underperformed relative to you perceived potential often helps.
People just love arguing even the most semantic b.s. here.
AMEN

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Hamilton envisioned this scenario when he left UConn.

Whoever offered him the advice that convinced him to bounce did him no favors.

I wouldn't give him better than 50-50 odds of spending even a decent stretch of one season in the NBA.
If he had stayed he gets national tv coverage for his game and a chance to be drafted higher. OKC Blue is their minor league team? So how many players have to be injured for him to get any shot?

Reaction Score
I wish he stuck around. I thought he was talented enough to have an incredible year if he put it all together. But that means he's talented enough to play in the NBA. The Thunder bought the rights to him, and although it's likely that he'll be in the D league (at least for this year), he does have a team interested in him. Who knows, maybe he makes a huge leap this season.

Reaction Score
I think he should have stayed 1 more year but it is what it is, this is a free country and your free to make your own choice its his life. Wish him the best of luck, its another uconn guy drafted.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
DHam went where I thought he would. Low risk, possible high upside.
A great late 2nd round flyer.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but chad ford says hamilton was a jumper away from being a first rounder...nothing we didn't know.

Oklahoma City Thunder: A
Round 1: Domantas Sabonis (11)

Round 2: Daniel Hamilton (56)

i

What a night for the Thunder. Not only did they move into the lottery to get one of the toughest, most-skilled big men in the draft, but they also landed Victor Oladipo, a recent No. 2 pick in the draft. He will be their best 2-guard since James Harden. A Russell Westbrook-Oladipo backcourt could be devastating.

The cost was high. Serge Ibaka has been a key part of the team. But the way this trade sets the Thunder up both now and in the future earns OKC an A.

Hamilton is sort of a point forward who would've been a first-rounder had he ever learned to shoot.

Reaction Score
Now living just a few miles from Stanford I was on campus yesterday and traveled over to the sports offices. I had the pleasure to run into a basketball associate from the program. I through out 2 names concerning the draft. Dunn from Prov and D Ham from Uconn. His comments were that Dunn is a beast and will be a very good NBA player. As for D Ham his response was -- who the hell advised him to leave.

I do wish D Ham all my best but sometimes as a kid the almight $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is just to much to turn down.
I can't imagine Hamilton envisioned this scenario when he left UConn.

Whoever offered him the advice that convinced him to bounce did him no favors.

I wouldn't give him better than 50-50 odds of spending even a decent stretch of one season in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom