Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there any actual evidence that this kid will be a lottery pick if he waits out the year, or is this just something you're making up?
In 2018 he's projected as high as 3. That's great, but from some reactions here you'd think he was Lebron.

I think people underestimate how much room he has for improvement in skill based areas. He shoots at horrible clips (and while his form and rotation are decent, it's a slow release), and could use some tightening with his handle. I don't believe he'd be ready to play in the NBA next year.

The choice between the D-League and a high major college where you are a ball dominant player is an easy decision to make. So if Hami has any doubt come March whether he is ready to handle the physicality and all around skill of NBA players, I would bet he chooses to go to college.

Reaction Score
I think and have heard he will either go to UK or the NBA. I completely agree @djct1999. If he leaves early, it will hide any downside to his game (his jump shot). If he goes to UK he will be around pieces where he will not be the only featured player, and he can be drafted on potential because he was around so many superstars at Kentucky (just like a MKG or Lamb type). There has been some back and fourth with Nick Richards on Twitter.

Hope I am wrong, but the writing is starting be clearer and clearer.

Reaction Score
I think and have heard he will either go to UK or the NBA. I completely agree @djct1999. If he leaves early, it will hide any downside to his game (his jump shot). If he goes to UK he will be around pieces where he will not be the only featured player, and he can be drafted on potential because he was around so many superstars at Kentucky (just like a MKG or Lamb type). There has been some back and fourth with Nick Richards on Twitter.

Hope I am wrong, but the writing is starting be clearer and clearer.

I don't think there is any type of "writing" that is clearer and clearer regarding him to UK. He talks with kids that are at or committed to many different schools why would you just assume he is UK bound?

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any type of "writing" that is clearer and clearer regarding him to UK. He talks with kids that are at or committed to many different schools why would you just assume he is UK bound?

Because it's the best place in the world for 1 and done players.

Reaction Score
Because it's the best place in the world for 1 and done players.

That's a spurious argument.

He may want to spend a year close to what he's familiar with and near friends at Uconn and get coached from KO for a year. He can be a one and done from anywhere he wants.

Reaction Score
That's a spurious argument.

He may want to spend a year close to what he's familiar with and near friends at Uconn and get coached from KO for a year. He can be a one and done from anywhere he wants.

That is a great argument, and I hope you are right. That is not what people who are close to Hami are suggesting.

Reaction Score
Is there any actual evidence that this kid will be a lottery pick if he waits out the year, or is this just something you're making up?
I doubt he ends up a lottery pick after this year, we'll see how well he plays. We all know shooting is his weakness, and his own coach recently said "he struggles in the half court offense." Not having a jump shot and struggling in a half court offense is not a recipe for success in the NBA. Sounds like he could really use a year or two of college.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
So? They play completely different positions and have different skill sets. Shawn Bradley was 7'7 and a dud.

That's exactly the point. Bradley was drafted second IIRC.

Tall players, like Maker and Bradley, get drafted earlier based on potential alone.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the point. Bradley was drafted second IIRC.

Tall players, like Maker and Bradley, get drafted earlier based on potential alone.

HD is going to get drafted early based on potential too and he's 6'4-6'5.

Reaction Score
talking over and over about his shooting is a bit of a myopic approach when breaking down hds game. He is 18 and could vastly improve his mechanics and consistency fast under professional coaching, this whole idea that a player is better off playing in college as opposed to being a first round pick is farcical, how does that make any sense?

You can go back and see , I said thon maker would be a lottery pick the moment there was buzz he would declare, despite many people thinking he would be a late 2nd rounder. Hd will end up a higher rated prospect with much less baggage, coming out of a better class no less.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
talking over and over and his shooting is a bit of a myopic approach when taking about hds game. He is 18 and could vastly improve his mechanics and consistency fast under professional coaching, this whole idea that a player is better off playing in college as opposed to being a first round pick is farcical, how does that make any sense?

You can go back and see , I said thon maker would be a lottery pick the moment there was buzz he would declare, despite many people thinking he would be a late 2nd rounder. Hd will end up a higher rated prospect with much less baggage, coming out of a better class no less.
It might be the reason why some of the players said he would not be playing at UCONN. Can't blame the kid if he can go and support his family strait out of the gate-some talented kids need the college transition mentally- some don't.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This kids name is going to haunt this board forever.

I hope that Ollie throws on the thrusters if it starts to become readily apparent that Diallo isn't coming here. No offense to Beatty, but Petty or Wilkes would be 2 guys that we haven't pressed on but have an outside shot at.

Reaction Score
A mediocre freshman year at UConn and he goes from lotto pick to maybe out of the 1st round entirely.
I'm going to agree with everyone else here that Diallo is not a lottery pick in the 2017 NBA Draft. He's a 6-5 guard who isn't a good shooter and his handle needs to be better to be a 6-5 guard in the NBA. He's athletic and explosive and that's a good start. But his skills need improvement and I don't think the NBA is taking him that high in the draft without those skills. Even his coach thinks he needs to improve his skills.

"I think he's going to be a good fit almost anywhere because he's an explosive player," Espinosa said. "He's 6-6, he's long, he's athletic. When he gets a little more skilled, he's going to be extremely good, you know?

"Even better, he's good now. But he's going to be a special player when he becomes a bit more skilled and I think he'd be a great fit at any of these schools, to be honest with you."

UConn, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona Among Those Courting Hamidou Diallo, Who's Shooting for Spring Decision

N

NotBlueOlliewood

That is a great argument, and I hope you are right. That is not what people who are close to Hami are suggesting.

You know people close to Hami that are suggesting him to UK? I think this notion needs to die right now. Mamadou is the only person at UConn who could give you an idea of where is going, and he doesn't know. The people that are close to Hami would never violate his trust, and show his cards, and Hami have a very large camp. I'm hearing as much UConn as Kentucky, regardless of what other fanbases and crystal balls would tell you. What you're seeing is people thinking no way a kid like Diallo would end up at UConn, and you have some in here who agree. If you want the media and other programs to show some respect to the Huskies, have some respect for yourselves and the program. I think Diallo is heading here, and nothing is showing me otherwise.

Reaction Score
You know people close to Hami that are suggesting him to UK? I think this notion needs to die right now. Mamadou is the only person at UConn who could give you an idea of where is going, and he doesn't know. The people that are close to Hami would never violate his trust, and show his cards, and Hami have a very large camp. I'm hearing as much UConn as Kentucky, regardless of what other fanbases and crystal balls would tell you. What you're seeing is people thinking no way a kid like Diallo would end up at UConn, and you have some in here who agree. If you want the media and other programs to show some respect to the Huskies, have some respect for yourselves and the program. I think Diallo is heading here, and nothing is showing me otherwise.

My apologies, people who are in the know with recruiting have suggested this. I do not know anyone from Hami's camp.

This is not an issue of respect, but reality.

N

NotBlueOlliewood

My apologies, people who are in the know with recruiting have suggested this. I do not know anyone from Hami's camp.

This is not an issue of respect, but reality.

They suggested it, because it's Kentucky. Hamidou didn't tell them anything. The same way Evan Daniels was called out for DeAndre Ayton's "prediction." No one had Arizona as the pick, not even Arizona fans. We know the pro's of going to UK and Duke, if you're a one and done player, but a kid could be a one and done anywhere. Keep it real with you, Diallo might not even start in college, and people think he'll be a top 10 pick? Thon Maker is going to have kids heading straight to the D-League or overseas, if this becomes the norm.

Reaction Score
There are a few factors to consider here:

1) Does he care at all about the college experience or is he mostly concerned about how one year of college will impact his draft status. Nobody knows that answer, but he seems like a smart kid, and I think the draft factor is more important.

2) Does he think one year of college will help or hurt his stock? I'm sure he's hearing many different arguments on this point, which may be the determinative factor. One thing to consider is that even in the straight from HS to NBA era, almost all kids that bypassed college were big men. Only Kobe was a guard - and he's Kobe, and while at a different time, he was only drafted # 13. Even Thon Maker this year, who is the most recent comparison, is 7-0 and has been viewed as KG2. Hami doesn't project like that at all. He probably projects as a Andrew Wiggins in progress - not Andrew Wiggins as a high school senior. The potential is certainly there to be drafted high, but next year's draft is loaded. He will not be a lottery pick and teams will be taking a big risk drafting him so high, at his position, given his lack of a refined jump shot.

3) Leading to point number 3 - does he prefer to be drafted next year, somewhere in the 15-25 range (which seems likely), or go to college for one year, and then try to be a top 5 pick (which also could happen). This becomes a time value of money/contract decision. NBA rookie contracts are still on a sliding scale. Option one, if he leaves this year, allows him to make more money right away, and allows his four year rookie contract to end sooner, which if he plays well, gets him a big money contract one year early. However, option two likely gets him a higher rookie salary when he starts, and while he will have to wait one more year for a big money contract, that contract could be more valuable because teams will look to develop their lottery picks more than their mid first round picks who are projects.

4) Assuming he does one year of college, then he has to decide which school is best for him. We all know the arguments there, so no need to expand on that point. My main thing is that there are a lot of different factors to consider, it's not an easy decision either way. Given all of the circumstances, however, I do think he goes to college for one year. There is risk involved in that, but I think the long term payoff is much better, assuming he does well in that one year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) None of us have any idea whether he's a lottery pick or not.

2) He's a spring decision - why sweat it now?

3) We've never been a lock for this kid - if he commits elsewhere, so be it. We'll survive the loss of a one and done.

Reaction Score
So hamidous future is bright if he chooses to one n done, but if he leaves after PSA he'll be dleague bound or out the league? @BlueOlliewood you can't honestly think one year in college is that meaningful, you seem to also have a lot of misconceptions about his game. He isn't a shooter but averaged a good amount of assists in hs and has shown flashes of being a playmaker as well as an elite top flight defender. He will be ready to step in and play NBA defense right away, just go look at the tape of him vs Canada recently.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you want the media and other programs to show some respect to the Huskies, have some respect for yourselves and the program. I think Diallo is heading here, and nothing is showing me otherwise.
"And nothing is telling me otherwise"

And herein really lies the problem with people who derail threads over what someone says or claims.

Reaction Score
So? They play completely different positions and have different skill sets. Shawn Bradley was 7'7 and a dud.
As a dud Bradley had a 14 and 7 average in college and an eleven year NBA career.

I one saw him walk out of the Grand Hyatt in DC with a girl that came up to his navel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom